As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: Free Expansion. See OP!

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Back in January, i met a gorgeous Indian 20something woman on the bus and she said that this was her favorite game. I forgot to get her number :(

I would play this just to find her again.

That's impossible.

Girls only play WoW. Lawl.

Lucky Cynic on
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been playing the 360 version for the past week or so. It is a pretty solid game with a lacking community, also the UI, especially server browser is pretty shitty. But I can't deny that the game is fun so I play it anyway. I mainly play Warfare or Vehicle CTF.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm waiting for the Linux version, UT 2004 works great in Linux.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • pineconeboypineconeboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't hold your breath, Zilla. Epic's cash cow is GoW now, and they're going to give it the most attention.

Is that quote in your sig from Anachronox? I can't figure out where the hell I've heard it before and it's driving me crazy.

pineconeboy on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't hold your breath, Zilla. Epic's cash cow is GoW now, and they're going to give it the most attention.

Is that quote in your sig from Anachronox? I can't figure out where the hell I've heard it before and it's driving me crazy.
    I guess I'll wait for a good deal on the 360 version then... :(

It's a quote from Doctor Wallace Breen.... :D
    I never finished Anachronox.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited August 2008
    I've heard that you can get UT3 working with wine or something like that.

I don't know Linux...

Lucky Cynic on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I reformatted my computer last night and I'm going to reinstall later so if anyone wants to get a game together my name will be Darmak (I know I mentioned it earlier but my XBL gamertag is Darmak X99 in case anyone here wants to play the 360 version).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been playing Gears on my PC lately, but wouldn't mind a change of pace with some UT3. I haven't played it since a few weeks after it launched.

I think my name in UT3 is Drool, and you can find me on Steam as the same if you get a game going.

I'll load it up tonight regardless and see what's what.

Drool on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember when UT2k3 came out, and everyone hated on it because it wasn't nearly as polished as the original. Now people are bitching about UT3 because it's not as good as UT2k3/4.

The game is great, honestly. It's just hard to find servers with PEOPLE in it, not bots (on PC side).

urahonky on
    edited August 2008
    They also apparently released a few oldschool maps a few months ago? I'm interested in seeing what the new Morbias and Face look like. I'm terrible at CTF though.

Drool on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm down for some PC play!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aside from having a shitty UI and losing Assault I pretty much like UT3 more than UT2k4 on every front. The movement and weapon balance especially feels more like UT99 than 2k4 ever did, and that's a huge plus in my book.

sethsez on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The PC version of this game was awful, it felt like a console port, the multiplayer part of the game, which is the core of UT was done wrongly for the PC, so i just stick to my 360 version for multiplayer, it has more people as well.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited August 2008
    The PC version of this game was awful, it felt like a console port, the multiplayer part of the game, which is the core of UT was done wrongly for the PC, so i just stick to my 360 version for multiplayer, it has more people as well.

I have no idea what kind of complaint that is.o_O

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008
    sethsez wrote: »
    Aside from having a shitty UI and losing Assault I pretty much like UT3 more than UT2k4 on every front. The movement and weapon balance especially feels more like UT99 than 2k4 ever did, and that's a huge plus in my book.

It took me a while to figure out where all the options were. Shitty UI is an understatement.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008

What did it do wrong, exactly? I keep seeing people saying that it feels like a console port, but as someone who's been playing and following Unreal since the thing was just a sparkle in the eyes of the Jazz Jackrabbit guys I really don't understand it.

sethsez on
    edited August 2008
    It's just a UI that was obviously designed with a console/controller in mind. The matchmaking filters are basic and the fact that you have to click through about 10 menus just to start a game is ridiculous. That said they did release a patch that fixed some issues, but they should do more if they really wanted to foster the community.

Drool on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    It's just a UI that was obviously designed with a console/controller in mind. The matchmaking filters are basic and the fact that you have to click through about 10 menus just to start a game is ridiculous. That said they did release a patch that fixed some issues, but they should do more if they really wanted to foster the community.

this pretty much sums it up. The UI feels like a console port, and it really has kind of ruined it for me on the PC. On the 360 this set up works great with the filters ect, but on the PC its trash and it really has taken its toll on the community and the amount of players in the game online.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was wondering when the anti-hype would wear off. I thought this was gonna be one of those games I was nearly alone in liking.

Veegeezee on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

this pretty much sums it up. The UI feels like a console port, and it really has kind of ruined it for me on the PC. On the 360 this set up works great with the filters ect, but on the PC its trash and it really has taken its toll on the community and the amount of players in the game online.

UT99. They had the most awesome interface back in UT99, clean and simple and familiar to anyone that's used a freaking Windows machine.

Why they threw that all away, I'm not sure I'll ever understand. Perhaps they felt it was too efficient and not enough like what a "game" main menu should be.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    The matchmaking options being limited does suck and is a valid point, but having to click through three menus rather than one, while a bit irritating, seems like a remarkably dumb thing to kill a community. Personally I can brave the two extra clicks to get at the great game within, but I guess some people can't for some reason.

sethsez on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Epic was complaining about this game doing poorly due to piracy despite it slipping completely under the radar, looking like Gears of War, and not having an initial 360 release at all, right? I seem to remember that.

Consolely UI is also a really bad thing to be putting in for a game who's community is based on the PC. That said, the Demo wasn't bad. I was actually thinking of picking this up since its $19.99 at my local Target.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, there were indeed some piracy cries. They released the game with basically no initial marketing, too. And it came like, right during the goddamn perfect storm of first person shooters, having to compete with Halo 3, The Orange Box, and Call of Duty 4.

It's like they deliberately shot themselves in the foot or something.

Dehumanized on
    edited August 2008
    I doubt the art style had anything to do with it. The utter lack of advertising is probably what doomed the game from the start... nobody even knew it came out except the UT hardcore, who then shat all over it keeping everybody else away even though it's a fine game in its own right (and doesn't deserve the comparisons to UT2k3 I've seen some people make).

sethsez on
    edited August 2008
    The matchmaking options being limited does suck and is a valid point, but having to click through three menus rather than one, while a bit irritating, seems like a remarkably dumb thing to kill a community. Personally I can brave the two extra clicks to get at the great game within, but I guess some people can't for some reason.

It really isn't just the extra clicks it's also the placement of basic functions. For whatever reason they decided to put everything all the way at the bottom or all the way at the top right hand corner of the screen. It also makes no logical sense why things are placed where.

For instance it's way more difficult than it should be just to change your custom character's appearance. This is something that logically you should be able to get to from the main menu fairly easily, but instead it's several menus in and way at the bottom of the screen in light gray text.

Drool on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only real 2k3 comparison to be made is that both lack Assault. Which is a big deal to me, since it's the gametype that I get the most fun out of from UT. Junkyard, High Speed (name might not be right there... the train infiltration map from UT99), and Robot Factory are what I usually will play when I play UT. It's why I still boot up UT'99 here and there, and it's why I bother installing 2k4.

But, the rest of the game is pretty fun and if assault isn't your thing then it's probably a good purchase, especially at the steal price of $20.

Dehumanized on
    edited August 2008

I wouldn't say the menu killed the community. Really there were a lot of little factors.

UT3 launched with surprisingly little hype to begin with. The reaction of most of the people here was "what it's out? Now?". Considering that this is about as hardcore a gaming forum as you're likely to find, that's never a good sign to start with. I can't really say I felt they did a very good job with advertising the game when even the people looking forward to it here didn't even realise it had been released.

Coupled with that is the fact that it was launching around the same period as a bunch of other very high profile releases, several of which had heavy multiplayer components. Personal experience from around here is that everyone was too busy playing Halo 3, CoD4 and TF2 to really give it the time of day. This was a time of REALLY big hitters. Crysis suffered a similar fate and managed to get a little over 1 million units.

Then there's the gameplay. It's good, but the problem is that it's not really a huge step up from UT2004. They pretty much axed the Assault maps and the new warfare mode wasn't really much of an evolution. About the only really major reason to step up from UT2004 to UT3 was, for me at least, graphical. And the problem with that is that UT2004 runs on much lower end machines whilst still looking quite good even today. I guess there just wasn't enough incentive for the core crowd to migrate to the new game, and that's a HUGE issue.

The final point for me, is a personal opinion and pretty much purely subjective. They completely changed the art style from fantastical, day-glo and futuristic, and turned it into what could best be described as "Gears of Unreal". Way OTT on the grey shifting of colour palettes and washed out tones, with a heavy emphasis on rust and decay. Heck, even when UT2004 did industrial they managed a more bright and functional industrial. I just don't feel the art style matches up with the gameplay, they really should have stuck with the more futuristic and fantastical stuff that made UT and even 2004 look awesome and out there.

So yeah, really UT3 is still a really good game. But there were just too many things going against it at the time for it to really break the market like they were probably expecting it to.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, there were indeed some piracy cries. They released the game with basically no initial marketing, too. And it came like, right during the goddamn perfect storm of first person shooters, having to compete with Halo 3, The Orange Box, and Call of Duty 4.

It's like they deliberately shot themselves in the foot or something.

Gosh yeah, I remember that. Then the PS3 sales numbers came in and all of a sudden they stopped trying to explain it altogether.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    Wikipedia tells me that:
    In March 2008, Midway announced that UT3 had sold over a million copies worldwide

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51722
    "As we expected, our European PC sales of Unreal Tournament 3 are outpacing North America and, overall, the title is turning out to a success,"

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Suds wrote: »
    Wikipedia tells me that:
    In March 2008, Midway announced that UT3 had sold over a million copies worldwide

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51722
    "As we expected, our European PC sales of Unreal Tournament 3 are outpacing North America and, overall, the title is turning out to a success,"

That's a million in combined sales between PC and PS3 right? I think they were expecting it to shift a lot more, especially after the runaway success of Gears on the console market. I have to wonder how the 360 sales numbers have panned out.

subedii on
    edited August 2008
    I remember I went to buy it on the day it launched. I just happened to be in North Carolina visiting my brother only a 100 miles or so from Epic HQ, and I had to search all over the store for a copy. Copies of CoD4 were everywhere though.

I had the same problem with Gears PC. They just didn't hype them up enough, and that was an amazing year for shooters.

I'm not surprised it sold a million copies though. It is a fantastic game and you can still get in a good game almost any time of day on the PC at least. Some modes are harder though.

We should play tonight dudes. I need a nap though I'll be on in a couple hours.

Drool on
    edited August 2008
    I remember I went to buy it on the day it launched. I just happened to be in North Carolina visiting my brother only a 100 miles or so from Epic HQ, and I had to search all over the store for a copy. Copies of CoD4 were everywhere though.

I had the same problem with Gears PC. They just didn't hype them up enough, and that was an amazing year for shooters.

I'm not surprised it sold a million copies though. It is a fantastic game and you can still get in a good game almost any time of day on the PC at least. Some modes are harder though.

I'm going to bed, might be up for something tomorrow.

I actually just re-installed UT3 because I wanted to try my hand at UnrealED. The video tutorials they packaged with the Special Edition are amazingly intuitive. They did an impressive job getting those on.

subedii on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Didn't they totally redo the ui in a patch? Does it still suck?

august on
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I'm going to bed, might be up for something tomorrow.

I actually just re-installed UT3 because I wanted to try my hand at UnrealED. The video tutorials they packaged with the Special Edition are amazingly intuitive. They did an impressive job getting those on.

Don't forget to patch, I want to go through the tutorials myself. I have the Special Edition, but haven't taken the time to do it yet. It would be cool to make some oldschool single player/2 player co-op shooter levels. Like Quake/Doom/Painkiller Just running through a level full of enemies grabbing powerups and blasting everything.
    august wrote: »
    Didn't they totally redo the ui in a patch? Does it still suck?

They made some changes, but it still basically sucks. The game plays just fine though.

Drool on
    edited August 2008
    My favorite mode is Deathmatch. It's old school but i love it!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    I'm a fan of Warefare. I can actually score points and I like having an objective.

I wonder if they would consider doing an expansion pack now that all 3 versions of UT3 are out. I would pay for some new characters/equipment/maps maybe a vehicle or two plus some new modes one of which would have to be something like oldschool assault.

Plus a ground up UI revamp on the PC (this should be free no matter what), but maybe it would get more interest in the game if it added enough content.

Drool on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I usually could count on Epic to support their games and deliver outstanding content post-release. The various official bonus packs for the UT games were great (the ECE Bonus Pack for 2K4 is legendary and fucking free to boot). With UT3, though, I don't know. It's really like they stopped caring, especially considering it doesn't have "gears" or "war" in its title.

Zxerol on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The user created models are pretty sweet though, I love the warhammer and the master chief spartan models

Dixon on
    edited August 2008
    Well it hasn't been out a year yet, and they are shipping Gears 2 in a few months, and they're a small company. I haven't given up hope yet. Hopefully they'll do a map pack at least after Gears ships.

Drool on
    edited August 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I usually could count on Epic to support their games and deliver outstanding content post-release. The various official bonus packs for the UT games were great (the ECE Bonus Pack for 2K4 is legendary and fucking free to boot). With UT3, though, I don't know. It's really like they stopped caring, especially considering it doesn't have "gears" or "war" in its title.

Check the official website, there is a bonus pack. No idea what's in it though.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png