As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLB 2008: Joe Biden a lock for Cy Young, MVP

• AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sad that Lake DeWitt is being drained. Its going to have a negative impact on the environment in downtown StL.

Wainwright or Perez for closer? Hrmmmm. Perez as your 8th inning, setup/strikeout guy. Wainright as your 9th inning mycurveballletmeshowyouitmycurveball guy. I think its viable if the starting rotation can give you those 6.1-7 inning quality starts.

Astraphobia on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, can't figure out which would have been less impressive for the All-Star game next year, lake DeWitt or a ton of half-finished construction. Way to be on the ball StL!

Apparently they're going to (another) closer-by-committee deal, though I'm guessing that's just a stop-gap till Wainwright returns. Not sure why Tony doesn't want to try Perez out as full-time closer though...he looked pretty good last night.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, can't figure out which would have been less impressive for the All-Star game next year, lake DeWitt or a ton of half-finished construction. Way to be on the ball StL!

Apparently they're going to (another) closer-by-committee deal, though I'm guessing that's just a stop-gap till Wainwright returns. Not sure why Tony doesn't want to try Perez out as full-time closer though...he looked pretty good last night.

Tony La Russa.

Closer by committee.

Ha!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ivan Rodriguez on the Yankees FTW.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Ivan Rodriguez on the Yankees FTW.

Shut your hole. Although honestly Inge is just fine at backstop. I just miss having him around. By the way, his name is Pudge. Only away stadiums call him Ivan.

Satan. on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Satan man, what are you doing in the fantasy league? You're trading a good player for a bad player, who is a downgrade at the position from what you already have.

Can you explain your logic on this one?

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2008
    Satan man, what are you doing in the fantasy league? You're trading a good player for a bad player, who is a downgrade at the position from what you already have.

Sure can.

"Fuck it."

I have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs and since no one ever fucking accepts trades I took what I was offered. Feel free to vote it down or whatever. I doubt I'll be back in it next year. The communication is downright awful.

Satan. on
    edited August 2008
    So anybody heard of this "David Ortez" guy?

I hear he's pretty good.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited August 2008
    Looks like the Tigers 'win' the Freddy Garcia sweepstakes. He's been signed to a minor league contract, good through the end of 2008. He'll report to Lakeland now and if he's eligible, he'll make the Aug 31 roster.

Satan. on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's partially my fault too. When I proposed the trade, I thought for some reason that Tulo. played second base, which Satan did want to upgrade. Tulo. had been pretty hot at that point too, and there's still a chance he could reclaim some of his 2007 form.

LavaKnight on
    edited August 2008
    10 runs in the first inning for Charlie Zink.

Somewhere Tim Wakefield just threw a baseball at his TV. It sailed three feet to the left.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    10 runs in the first inning for Charlie Zink.

Somewhere Tim Wakefield just threw a baseball at his TV. It sailed three feet to the left.
    Meh, not like it would have hurt the TV even if it had hit.

deadonthestreet on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, who could have seen Sheffield flaking out on the Tigers? Who?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jeez, Big Papi is making the Texas Rangers his bitch. 6 RBI in the first inning.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Man, who could have seen Sheffield flaking out on the Tigers? Who?

Everyone did. We got a lot more mileage out of him than I expected.

Satan. on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    what the fuck is happening in Boston?

not that it bothers me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    what the fuck is happening in Boston?

not that it bothers me.

Mind-blowing. Ortiz gives the BoSox TWO three-run shots in the first, Boston leads it 10-0.

Last I saw, Texas led 15-14.

Satan. on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the White Sox and Twins like playing leap frog for first place

Hjorvarthr on
    edited August 2008
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »

The Twins just will not stop chasing, and the White Sox won't give up the ghost.

Also, fuck the Tigers. I've about had it.

Satan. on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone else watching this amazing preseason football game between the Rangers and the Sox?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2008
    Anyone else watching this amazing preseason football game between the Rangers and the Sox?

olol
    Seriously. Insane.

Satan. on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

olol
    Seriously. Insane.

Unbelievable. Zink is about as good as when I saw him pitch in Portland...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008

The Twins just will not stop chasing, and the White Sox won't give up the ghost.

Also, fuck the Tigers. I've about had it.

And the game of leap frog continues

When Delmon Young hit that HR off Rivera, that was great

But fuck A-Rod

Hjorvarthr on
    edited August 2008
    If anyone is near Richmond, Va. they should head out to Friday's Braves / Mud Hens game. Dontrelle Willis will be pitching for the Mud Hens.

Satan. on
    edited August 2008
    Vent time.

The director for FSN Detroit is kind of a dick.

There is a commercial promoting Detroit Cornerstone Schools, a hugely successful charter school in inner city Detroit. It stars about 30 kids that go there as well as one Tiger (there are three versions): Justin Verlander, Gary Sheffield, Old Man Leyland. The kids sing a song that goes "I'm gonna let it shine / gonna let it shine / shine my light all over the world" or something d'awww like that while the Tiger does a voiceover promoting the school and asking for donations. They're 30 second spots and are generally innocuous the first couple dozen times you see it. After that, it's only a little grating.

There is a fourth version, though. This version is a whole minute long. It features a MUCH longer version of the sing-song by the kids before the Justin Verland voiceover kicks in. They ONLY air this one minute spot when 1) the Tigers just had a horrible half inning or 2) there is a rain delay.

Thanks, FSN Detroit director. I stick with your broadcast when the Tigers are getting their asses handed to them or when there isn't any fucking baseball on and you torture me. Fuck yourself

Satan. on
    edited August 2008
    Vent time.

There is a commercial promoting Detroit Cornerstone Schools, a hugely successful charter school in inner city Detroit. It stars about 30 kids that go there as well as one Tiger (there are three versions): Justin Verlander, Gary Sheffield, Old Man Leyland. The kids sing a song that goes "I'm gonna let it shine / gonna let it shine / shine my light all over the world" or something d'awww like that while the Tiger does a voiceover promoting the school and asking for donations. They're 30 second spots and are generally innocuous the first couple dozen times you see it. After that, it's only a little grating.

There is a fourth version, though. This version is a whole minute long. It features a MUCH longer version of the sing-song by the kids before the Justin Verland voiceover kicks in. They ONLY air this one minute spot when 1) the Tigers just had a horrible half inning or 2) there is a rain delay.

Thanks, FSN Detroit director. I stick with your broadcast when the Tigers are getting their asses handed to them or when there isn't any fucking baseball on and you torture me. Fuck yourself

I think you need to find yourself a new team, Satan. For your health.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited August 2008
    Vent time.

I think you need to find yourself a new team, Satan. For your health.

The worst part is? Some of these godamned commercials will bleed into hockey season, as well. Especially the awful Little Caesars ones since Illitch owns both teams and Little Caesars.

Also, Comerica Bank needs to fuck right off and die. They're airing commercials about how they're part of the community, just like me.

EXCEPT THEY MOVED THEIR HEADQUARTERS OUT OF MICHIGAN DOWN TO TEXAS, SINCE OHHHH NOESSSS FLAGGING AUTO INDUSTRY!

*huff puff*

I hope they put on Spotlight: Dave Dombrowski next. I don't want to see Spotlight: A Player I've Already Seen Like Six Times again. It's fun to learn how DD learned to be a GM.

Satan. on
    edited August 2008
    Hey, this is new. In My Own Words: Justin Verlander. I saw the Nate Robertson one. It's just an interview with John Keating, FSN Detroit's interviewing douchefunnel. He probably drives some kinda Kompressor, too.

Satan. on
    edited August 2008
    Hey, this is new. In My Own Words: Justin Verlander. I saw the Nate Robertson one. It's just an interview with John Keating, FSN Detroit's interviewing douchefunnel. He probably drives some kinda Kompressor, too.

To be fair, FSN New England is a giant reeking poo-anus as well. The Red Sox and Bruins are broadcast on NESN, but FSN gets the Celtics so it can't be avoided entirely.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Well the Cubs picked a hell of a time to get hot on the road, since Milwaukee doesn't seem to want to lose any time soon

DJ Eebs on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My mom, a Cubs fan, is starting to feel sorry for every team the Cubs face.
    I keep telling her that she has suffered decades of suck to get to this, and that she should enjoy it, but she can't.
    I guess she has losers empathy.

Picardathon on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    now that i have had a good time to think and drink

FUCK YOU SPEIER

GO AWAY

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited August 2008

To be fair, FSN New England is a giant reeking poo-anus as well. The Red Sox and Bruins are broadcast on NESN, but FSN gets the Celtics so it can't be avoided entirely.

As an aside, for anyone who watches FSN New England, I once saw a car in Lewiston that I'm pretty sure belonged to Gary Tanguay.

How can I be sure?

Well, he was on vacation at the time, and Dickerson had mentioned the day before that he was back home in Maine.

And the license plate said "TANGUAY."

No shit.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited August 2008
    It'd be totally awesome if the Twins could play against Carlos Silva for the rest of year.

Hjorvarthr on
    edited August 2008
    It'd be totally awesome if the Twins could play against Carlos Silva for the rest of year.

I think everyone wants to play against Silva the rest of the year. He's awful.

Also, olol on the M's for passing on the Washburn deal with the Twins. The Twins were ready to assume the bulk of his gigantic contract and they instead said "no sir, we're going to keep Jarrod Washburn and his shit pitching right here in Seattle".

They've made a lot of smart moves this year to shed contract and prepare for the future, I don't understand why the hell that sequence suddenly came to a screeching halt.

Satan. on
    edited August 2008

I think everyone wants to play against Silva the rest of the year. He's awful.

Also, olol on the M's for passing on the Washburn deal with the Twins. The Twins were ready to assume the bulk of his gigantic contract and they instead said "no sir, we're going to keep Jarrod Washburn and his shit pitching right here in Seattle".

They've made a lot of smart moves this year to shed contract and prepare for the future, I don't understand why the hell that sequence suddenly came to a screeching halt.

Jarrod Washburn won a bunch of decisions once! This means he is an objectively good pitcher!

SHUT UP YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T DENY IT!

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited August 2008
    Jarrod Washburn: Man, am I Carlos Silva yet?

Satan. on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RYAN DEMPSTER FOR CY YOUNG!

Picardathon on
    edited August 2008
    So is everyone just waiting for the postseason at this point? Except those on the south side of Chicago or in the Twin Cities, the playoff spots seem to be shoring up.

What are you all thinking?

Satan. on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So is everyone just waiting for the postseason at this point? Except those on the south side of Chicago or in the Twin Cities, the playoff spots seem to be shoring up.

What are you all thinking?

I'm fucking frightened.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.