Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

100 pages of fallout goodness, needs new home!

1545557596062

Posts

  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I have no idea what the british market is like. All I remember is that Manhunt 2 almost got banned.

    And Austrailia's rating system is just fucked up.

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As opposed to having two seperate ratings for the same age group? You Americans have the Aussies beat.
    I say the Germans are the clear winners though; ban zem all!

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game is rated M. It will never be rated AO. Ever. AO games don't sell.

    I think this is the problem. WHY THE HELL NOT?

    Okay, I mean I understand why not. I just think it's a bit ridiculous. We should be able to have some AO games, dammit.
    Ah, but see, you can't. It has such a negative stigma around it, much like NC-17, that it equals immediate retail death for any AO game.

    Also all other AO games are things like Sexy Beach and hentai games.

    Finally, can you get Fallout to run on Vista?

    Well probably. I doubt anyone's going to have a definitive answer either way on here. Just stick it in the drive and see what happens.

    Spoiler:
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    As opposed to having two seperate ratings for the same age group? You Americans have the Aussies beat.
    I say the Germans are the clear winners though; ban zem all!
    That's just something with our country. 18 is a magical age where you become responsible and all that shit.

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »
    The game is rated M. It will never be rated AO. Ever. AO games don't sell.

    I think this is the problem. WHY THE HELL NOT?

    Okay, I mean I understand why not. I just think it's a bit ridiculous. We should be able to have some AO games, dammit.
    Ah, but see, you can't. It has such a negative stigma around it, much like NC-17, that it equals immediate retail death for any AO game.

    Also all other AO games are things like Sexy Beach and hentai games.

    Finally, can you get Fallout to run on Vista?

    Well probably. I doubt anyone's going to have a definitive answer either way on here. Just stick it in the drive and see what happens.
    I know you had to fiddle with it a bit to get it to run on XP.

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    As opposed to having two seperate ratings for the same age group?

    Seventeen is completely different from 18.

    AO and NC-17 are really just there as "contains 'hardcore' sex or a lot of horrifying shit not justified in any way" categories for the most part nowadays. You have to practically be trying to get an AO rating except in a few cases usually involving the USA's stupid obsession with sex.

  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »
    The game is rated M. It will never be rated AO. Ever. AO games don't sell.

    I think this is the problem. WHY THE HELL NOT?

    Okay, I mean I understand why not. I just think it's a bit ridiculous. We should be able to have some AO games, dammit.
    Ah, but see, you can't. It has such a negative stigma around it, much like NC-17, that it equals immediate retail death for any AO game.

    Also all other AO games are things like Sexy Beach and hentai games.

    Finally, can you get Fallout to run on Vista?

    Well probably. I doubt anyone's going to have a definitive answer either way on here. Just stick it in the drive and see what happens.
    I know you had to fiddle with it a bit to get it to run on XP.

    Some people have to do some stuff to get it to work in XP. I, personally, didn't have to do a thing. It's pretty random.

    Spoiler:
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Both of the original Fallout games work perfectly on my computer under XP. It really is random.

    sig.gif
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't say it works perfectly under XP; last time I installed it, I had some annoying crash bugs. That seems fairly standard for the fallout games, though.

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    stand up! It was the smallest on the list but
    pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fallout games are buggy as hell. Incredibly buggy buggy, this makes me wonder how people can truly believe the two original FO games were the pinnacle of gaming for all time. The games didn't even work properly at their best. Fan patches generally fix it up pretty well.

  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hence the reason I wrote "on my computer." I just played through both of them last winter, and I didn't have any problems.

    sig.gif
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm playing through the first game and whilst the humor and gameplay is great, the constant crashing is annoying. It seems to only happen when trying to interact with Kilian when he's at Gizmos Casino

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I'm playing through the first game and whilst the humor and gameplay is great, the constant crashing is annoying. It seems to only happen when trying to interact with Kilian when he's at Gizmos Casino

    So... stop?

    You installed the official and unoffial fan patches? Beware doing so will make previous save files incompatible with patched version of fallout so you'll have to start a new game.

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/I


    eh, alright

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just played through Fallout 1 again, for the first time in like 10 years. I played Fallout 2 numerous times, but for some reason I never went back to the original. Im glad I did because that reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Had some weird endings despite my actions in game (bugs I think).

    Kinda wish I explored more of The Glow though. For some reason I always thought the first floor was all that was accessible but now I read that there are more floors with some little background story droplets in there. I know that I pretty much know all about the Fallout history and story, but I love to see every little bit of stuff I can in-game. Talking to computers and exploring the parts of the game that involve pre-war stuff always fascinates me.

    Theft 4 Bread
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    decided to replay fo1 using a few mods and resolution patch (lol at small maps) and since ive been through this game a number of times im thinking of doing a special kind of play.. going to do a no-reloads run and im thinking of doing a "what if i was in fallout" type character, base him off what i think my stats would be but i kinda had to scrap that since it wont let you start the game with unused stats.. so i had to go as a close as possible, traits i picked were small frame and night person and i tagged small guns science and i cant quite decide on what 3rd skill to tag.. im thinking either lockpicking or repair.. once i get to level 12 ill be using the perk that gives you a 4th tag skill and tagging energy weapons too.

    ::: Statistics :::
    Strength: 03
    Perception: 08
    Endurance: 02
    Charisma: 06
    Intelligence: 07
    Agility: 07
    Luck: 06

    its very hard to do this unless i can figure out a way to start the game without using the unneeded stats.. currently my charisma is too high (want it to be 4) and luck needs to be 5, agility needs to be 5 or 6 and perception needs to be 6-7 too for what im trying to do.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    I just played through Fallout 1 again, for the first time in like 10 years. I played Fallout 2 numerous times, but for some reason I never went back to the original. Im glad I did because that reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Had some weird endings despite my actions in game (bugs I think).

    Kinda wish I explored more of The Glow though. For some reason I always thought the first floor was all that was accessible but now I read that there are more floors with some little background story droplets in there. I know that I pretty much know all about the Fallout history and story, but I love to see every little bit of stuff I can in-game. Talking to computers and exploring the parts of the game that involve pre-war stuff always fascinates me.

    I think this was one of the best part about Fallout 1: the way the story unfolded. I think Fallout 1 holds a special place because you basically started the game with a basic idea of the Big Picture, but the entire game was littered with tiny fragments of the details about what actually happened.

    This is one reason I could never play a character with low intelligence or science skill. You just seemed to miss too many great little bits of story if you went too meathead combat heavy.

    And The Glow in particular had some great bits in it.

    Overall, this is what I think really made the game. The combat system was ok, the graphics were ok, the character system was pretty good, the teammate system was lousy. But the way the story unfolded was absolutely classic. It was years ahead of its time in story telling, and can compare favorably with even the best executed in-game story of today's games.

    People are getting worked up over the level scaling, the animations or the combat system, but really, I think the devil is in the details.

    Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited August 2008
    So it installed fine this time. Same glitch I had as last time where the hud bar would get covered in darkness but would wipe away if you moused over it.

    What are the fan patches I need?

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ironzerg wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    I just played through Fallout 1 again, for the first time in like 10 years. I played Fallout 2 numerous times, but for some reason I never went back to the original. Im glad I did because that reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Had some weird endings despite my actions in game (bugs I think).

    Kinda wish I explored more of The Glow though. For some reason I always thought the first floor was all that was accessible but now I read that there are more floors with some little background story droplets in there. I know that I pretty much know all about the Fallout history and story, but I love to see every little bit of stuff I can in-game. Talking to computers and exploring the parts of the game that involve pre-war stuff always fascinates me.

    I think this was one of the best part about Fallout 1: the way the story unfolded. I think Fallout 1 holds a special place because you basically started the game with a basic idea of the Big Picture, but the entire game was littered with tiny fragments of the details about what actually happened.

    This is one reason I could never play a character with low intelligence or science skill. You just seemed to miss too many great little bits of story if you went too meathead combat heavy.

    And The Glow in particular had some great bits in it.

    Overall, this is what I think really made the game. The combat system was ok, the graphics were ok, the character system was pretty good, the teammate system was lousy. But the way the story unfolded was absolutely classic. It was years ahead of its time in story telling, and can compare favorably with even the best executed in-game story of today's games.

    People are getting worked up over the level scaling, the animations or the combat system, but really, I think the devil is in the details.

    Pretty much this, although I feel the setting was much more interesting than the plot itself (but, that's still part of the overall story I guess).

    Also I think the combat system was amazingly fun

    To the above poster: If you're going to do a no-reload run you might as well go all the way and make it a melee run :)

    currently playing LoL: Polymath
    a fading melody - my indie platformer for the xbox 360
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    I just played through Fallout 1 again, for the first time in like 10 years. I played Fallout 2 numerous times, but for some reason I never went back to the original. Im glad I did because that reminded me how much I enjoyed it. Had some weird endings despite my actions in game (bugs I think).

    Kinda wish I explored more of The Glow though. For some reason I always thought the first floor was all that was accessible but now I read that there are more floors with some little background story droplets in there. I know that I pretty much know all about the Fallout history and story, but I love to see every little bit of stuff I can in-game. Talking to computers and exploring the parts of the game that involve pre-war stuff always fascinates me.

    I think this was one of the best part about Fallout 1: the way the story unfolded. I think Fallout 1 holds a special place because you basically started the game with a basic idea of the Big Picture, but the entire game was littered with tiny fragments of the details about what actually happened.

    This is one reason I could never play a character with low intelligence or science skill. You just seemed to miss too many great little bits of story if you went too meathead combat heavy.

    And The Glow in particular had some great bits in it.

    Overall, this is what I think really made the game. The combat system was ok, the graphics were ok, the character system was pretty good, the teammate system was lousy. But the way the story unfolded was absolutely classic. It was years ahead of its time in story telling, and can compare favorably with even the best executed in-game story of today's games.

    People are getting worked up over the level scaling, the animations or the combat system, but really, I think the devil is in the details.

    Pretty much this, although I feel the setting was much more interesting than the plot itself (but, that's still part of the overall story I guess).

    Also I think the combat system was amazingly fun

    To the above poster: If you're going to do a no-reload run you might as well go all the way and make it a melee run :)

    Ditto. The setting was the most interesting thing about Fallout to me, and seeing that setting modernized in a game that'll be far more immersive makes me happy, regardless of what else might happen.

  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    To the above poster: If you're going to do a no-reload run you might as well go all the way and make it a melee run :)

    Im not sure if you misunderstood him, but I think he means that he won't be using the save/load buttons very much. He is gonna go with what the game hands him.

    Theft 4 Bread
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah, yeah. I see reload, I think guns. I was kind of scratching my head thinking, "is he just going to pick up shit off corpses a lot and never reload a weapon?"

    currently playing LoL: Polymath
    a fading melody - my indie platformer for the xbox 360
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    To the above poster: If you're going to do a no-reload run you might as well go all the way and make it a melee run :)

    Im not sure if you misunderstood him, but I think he means that he won't be using the save/load buttons very much. He is gonna go with what the game hands him.

    Naw...I think lugging around hundreds of chain guns and rocket launchers would be an interesting challenge.

    :lol:

    Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    To the above poster: If you're going to do a no-reload run you might as well go all the way and make it a melee run :)

    Im not sure if you misunderstood him, but I think he means that he won't be using the save/load buttons very much. He is gonna go with what the game hands him.
    Round here we call that thar an 'ironman' run. Don't know nothin bout none of this fancy no-reloadin talk.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So it installed fine this time. Same glitch I had as last time where the hud bar would get covered in darkness but would wipe away if you moused over it.

    What are the fan patches I need?

    Let's see...

    First, the official 1.1 Fallout patch. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=48
    Second, the 1.2 fan patch. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1076
    Third, the 1.3.3 fan patch. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1075
    After that, the resolution patcher http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1129
    and the engine tweaks http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1068

    Then you should be set.

  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spoiler:
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do any of those fan-made changes add the NPC-Push feature from Fallout 2 into Fallout 1? I got stuck a couple times in Fallout 1 and had to reload to older save files to escape my NPC-made prison cells. I was in the Blades area of Boneyard and two NPC's stood in a doorway perpetually talking to each other.

    My mind asploded.

    Theft 4 Bread
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »

    Oh nice, I missed that one. Just being on NMA makes my skin crawl.

  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Weird. I have a directory on my hard drive which contains my Fallout saves, but the game isn't installed. I can't imagine when I uninstalled it, or why. Also, I can't find the disc.

    Dammit.

  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    Do any of those fan-made changes add the NPC-Push feature from Fallout 2 into Fallout 1? I got stuck a couple times in Fallout 1 and had to reload to older save files to escape my NPC-made prison cells. I was in the Blades area of Boneyard and two NPC's stood in a doorway perpetually talking to each other.

    My mind asploded.

    Nnnope!

    Spoiler:
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

    How's this look? Stretched? Just more screen area displayed? Cause I've always played it in its original resolution in a window. I think it would look strange if it was higher res since the graphics aren't.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    More screen area displayed. Aspect ratio is perfect, and I think the HUD scales too. The only problems with it are sometimes it gets stuck with the "can't scroll" arrow when there's more ways to scroll and sometimes if you click too far ahead of your character it won't register onscreen. Plus, some single-screen areas look weird - like random encounters in the desert with a mountain backdrop, the mountains just stop where the default resolution ends, but the screen keeps going.

  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It shrinks the art down. But it is pretty goddamn awesome.

    Spoiler:
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to be dragging up an issue which may or may not have already been clarified in this thread. In case this has been mentioned before, ignore me.

    When I read that melee couldn't be targeted I was a bit disappointed, but then I read this:
    Specific body parts cannot be targeted when fighting with melee weapons or in hand to hand combat. What is the reason behind this decision? Does melee/HtH fighting offer something else to compensate?

    __

    We tried many ways of doing melee with VATS, and having messed a lot with "missing" in melee, it just felt really bad. So once we changed VATS melee to "always hit", assuming you are in range, the body part selection became a bit unbalancing, so now it's a "whole body attack", but you still do end up hitting a specific body part when you swing, but it's based on what you actually contact with, as opposed to what you aim at. This avoids the "always punch in the head" problem, whereas with guns, we can balance out certain body parts with hit percentages, like the head.


    This sounds perfectly reasonable.

  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited August 2008
    That sounds awesome actually. I can now crouch and smack Super Mutants square in the particulars with my Power Fist. :D

    steam_sig.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, there's no groin shot but there's still groin shot somewhat.

  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is still the potential of possibly punching someone square in the nads it would seem.

  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm trying to get the patches all done up for Fallout.

    What's a good zip file opener?

    Organichu wrote: »
    The main rub is that, fuck, I'm already paying some to upgrade the length... why not pay a little bit more to upgrade the length AND width?
Sign In or Register to comment.