As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do YOU mean you people(NSF56k)

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I have volunteered with retarded people a few times. I used to assist at a day care center that had some retarded children, and that was kind of fun despite the occasional horrors (one time this asian girl who was like a foot taller than me at the time bit my arm totally randomly).

I got stuck with a violent autistic boy once (this was a summer camp, and the mother hadn't told the camp that he was on a medication that made him violent, otherwise they wouldn't have let him in.) Fucker ripped my shirt.

This kind of stuff is more common than one might think, but it kind of makes sense. When kids are faced with a stressful situation, with no mental roadmap on how to proceed or solve the problem, they kind of freak out, often physically. Considering the nature of retardation the similar reaction isn't that surprising.

Combine it with volatile medicines and shit's going down.

Eh, that's my only horror story. Inclusion work isn't easy, but it is HELLA rewarding.

One time, when I was just working as a senior counselor at a sports camp, I even diagnosed (unofficially) one of my campers as having some form of autism, and was able to work with him through my training, when with any other counselor he probably would have had an awful summer. Tp this day, I'm still curious whether his mother knew or not, and simply hadn't told the camp (I dropped a couple hints to her that I knew something was up, but she lept a straight face. She liked me, though, because her son liked me.)

Yeah I definitely enjoyed the experience, in both cases. And even the most ridiculous things that happen are so obviously unintentional (if not the initial act, then the consequences) that it's difficult to be frustrated.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have volunteered with retarded people a few times. I used to assist at a day care center that had some retarded children, and that was kind of fun despite the occasional horrors (one time this asian girl who was like a foot taller than me at the time bit my arm totally randomly).

I got stuck with a violent autistic boy once (this was a summer camp, and the mother hadn't told the camp that he was on a medication that made him violent, otherwise they wouldn't have let him in.) Fucker ripped my shirt.

This kind of stuff is more common than one might think, but it kind of makes sense. When kids are faced with a stressful situation, with no mental roadmap on how to proceed or solve the problem, they kind of freak out, often physically. Considering the nature of retardation the similar reaction isn't that surprising.

Combine it with volatile medicines and shit's going down.

Eh, that's my only horror story. Inclusion work isn't easy, but it is HELLA rewarding.

One time, when I was just working as a senior counselor at a sports camp, I even diagnosed (unofficially) one of my campers as having some form of autism, and was able to work with him through my training, when with any other counselor he probably would have had an awful summer. Tp this day, I'm still curious whether his mother knew or not, and simply hadn't told the camp (I dropped a couple hints to her that I knew something was up, but she lept a straight face. She liked me, though, because her son liked me.)

Yeah I definitely enjoyed the experience, in both cases. And even the most ridiculous things that happen are so obviously unintentional (if not the initial act, then the consequences) that it's difficult to be frustrated.

Yup.

The only thing I'm madc about is the violent kid, and even then, it's the mother I'm mad at (and the MNCPPC for their poor management of their program putting me in that kind of situation.)

Evander on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    basically as far as i can tell the people who actually are mentally challenged couldn't give a shit less if some movie uses the word "retarded" or has a retarded person in it.

they are too busy lifting cars and shit

Well, in between cars, they don't like being called retarded, and presumably, this movie's humorous take on retardation will make everyone call people who are retarded, retarded, in a derogatory manner.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    basically as far as i can tell the people who actually are mentally challenged couldn't give a shit less if some movie uses the word "retarded" or has a retarded person in it.

Well, in between cars, they don't like being called retarded, and presumably, this movie's humorous take on retardation will make everyone call people who are retarded, retarded, in a derogatory manner.
    i can't tell if you're serious

you might be

Faricazy on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

you might be
    considering his av is that of a character who is almost certainly borderline retarded, im gonna hafta go with joking.

okay, ill eat your bible. but it will take many hours of muuunching and snacking.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I read an interview the other day. While Jack Black was up in a helicopter or something, he had an earpiece so that he could hear the people on the ground and respond on cue. They stopped the scene and Downey went to go pee.

Downey was still playing Osiris while in the bathroom. Jack could hear him talking to himself like an angry black man.

Jimothy on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's fantasticly racist, and I love it.

Dex Dynamo on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

you might be

I thought it was pretty clear that I'm trying to explain what Timothy Shriver's reasoning would be. He clearly thinks the movie will have a negative effect on how people view the mentally retarded.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I suppose that this is the place for this too.

Rain Of Madness Trailer

Hey thats pretty cool I'll add that to the OP. I'm having trouble finding the other fake trailers so if anyone finds em, please post it in here so I can add it to the OP.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit this movie was great

Best comedy I've seen in a while

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    And sorry, I'm not buying "intellectually challenged". That sounds to me like a guy who decides to go do blue-collar work because he can't grasp calculus. The term "mental-retardation" exists for a reason; because it is an accurate description of a thing. When an individual's mental growth ceases early, then they are mentally-retarded.

in the medical community we aren't allowed to use mentally retarded. it has to be mentally challenged or disabled. i was like, goddamn is nothing sacred! i mean next, we'll be saying life-challenged because the goths got their panties in a bunch about "necrosis."

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    And sorry, I'm not buying "intellectually challenged". That sounds to me like a guy who decides to go do blue-collar work because he can't grasp calculus. The term "mental-retardation" exists for a reason; because it is an accurate description of a thing. When an individual's mental growth ceases early, then they are mentally-retarded.

in the medical community we aren't allowed to use mentally retarded. it has to be mentally challenged or disabled. i was like, goddamn is nothing sacred! i mean next, we'll be saying life-challenged because the goths got their panties in a bunch about "necrosis."
    mentally disabled i suppose i can see, just because it's still pretty accurate.

but recently ive heard shit about not calling people physically or mentally handicapped, instead saying something like 'alternatively abled' or some shit, which is the shittiest shit to ever shit.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i haven't heard that but, it is surely a sign of the apocalypse.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey, I just saw this; it was fucking hilarious.

"I'M A DUDE, PLAYIN' A DUDE, DISGUISED AS ANOTHER DUDE!"

msuitepyon on
  • Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Its good to have two comedies that don't fucking suck so close to each other

it was hilarious

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay honestly

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in a theater

Jesus christ.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh look, controversy.

The "R-Word"?

Seriously. "Retard" is a slur now? Should we start reffering to "Gay" as "the G-Word"?

Beyond that, does it seem odd to anyone else that, apparently, the studio actually worked with him to tone content down, and he STILL wants folks to protest?

Seriously, this guy seems to just be an attention seeking asshole. I say this as some one who has done plenty of special needs work myself. I maynot have run the special olympics, but I've worked one on one with enough special needs children to have an idea of what "retardation" means.

The last Mario Party game was apparently pulled in the UK and edited because it calls the player a retard at some point. Apparently it was fine for America though. So in the UK it's not ok to use names for mental problems as insults but in America it's not ok to call a spade a spade. Even if that spade is being played by someone who isn't really a spade for the lols.

Man, if people thought I was talking about Downey, this could come across as pretty racist.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • To Slip AwayTo Slip Away __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    ascot wrote: »
    Robert Downey Jr is grrrrrreat.
    Also a sexy man.
    Yes, in Scanner Darkly.

To Slip Away on
    CureSig2-1.jpg
    plnre-1.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Alpa Chino was hilarious.

msuitepyon on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh look, controversy.

The "R-Word"?

Seriously. "Retard" is a slur now? Should we start reffering to "Gay" as "the G-Word"?

Beyond that, does it seem odd to anyone else that, apparently, the studio actually worked with him to tone content down, and he STILL wants folks to protest?

Seriously, this guy seems to just be an attention seeking asshole. I say this as some one who has done plenty of special needs work myself. I maynot have run the special olympics, but I've worked one on one with enough special needs children to have an idea of what "retardation" means.

The last Mario Party game was apparently pulled in the UK and edited because it calls the player a retard at some point. Apparently it was fine for America though. So in the UK it's not ok to use names for mental problems as insults but in America it's not ok to call a spade a spade. Even if that spade is being played by someone who isn't really a spade for the lols.

Man, if people thought I was talking about Downey, this could come across as pretty racist.
    I remember hearing about that. I think the term in question was actually "spastic" although I could be mistaken. I know that spastic isn't a slur or insult in America so that could be possible, at least.

Just sayin'

Clint Eastwood on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I find it interesting that words like "imbecile" and "idiot" and "half-wit" were medical terms at some point.

#pipe on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    Hilarious movie.

Also, the "retard" dialogue was totally worth it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was shocked and tickled when I found out that older people suffering from Dementia are still referred to--medical terms now--as "Demented."

That guy over there is DEMENTED.

I just used a medical term.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    #pipe wrote: »
    I find it interesting that words like "imbecile" and "idiot" and "half-wit" were medical terms at some point.

Weren't retards once called "mongoloids" up til the late 50s or so?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think one of the best parts was
    When Jack Black was tied up and it was just revealed that one guy was gay. Then Jack Black starts offering to suck him off and even gobble the gravy...I just broke down.

Rinder on
    edited August 2008
    Tom Cruise's performance was by far the best I had seen from him in a while. And Matthew McConaughey wasn't too shabby either.

msuitepyon on
  • Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Saw this today. Good God, everyone that hasn't gone to see it, I highly recommend it.

Also, I had forgotten that Tom Cruise was supposed to be in this at all, and I was seriously thinking that was Paul Giamatti in a fat suit or something.

Man, seeing his name in the credits was the biggest double take of my life.

Clayton Bigsby on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why don't you set the phone down, take a step back and FUCK YOURSELF!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oh god this was funny

tom cruise did such a great job and when low came on i was laughing so hard

Kovak on
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    pretty funny!

Skull Man on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker

Green on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This was a great movie. I liked it better than Pineapple express. I couldn't understand what Robert Downey Jr. was saying half the time, I was just laughing.

Where did Danny McBride come from? Because he was hilarious in both movies.

captaink on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Danny McBridge was in another Ben Stiller project, aptly entitled "The Heartbreak Kid" where he plays the suspicious, and often violent, brother of Stiller's main love interest.

Burden of Proof on
    edited August 2008
    That just looked like another random crappy Ben Stiller movie. I didn't bother with it.

captaink on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Apparently McBride actually had another comedy out earlier this summer called The Foot Fist Way. I hear that it was hilarious. Very low budget and as a result it was only in theaters for about twenty minutes.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    I saw a trailer for Foot Fist Way and it looked really funny. I have never seen it at any movie theater. I need to look at the video store.

Speaking of trailers, did anyone else have the one for Role Models? That one looked really funny.

captaink on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, but I got the Samuel Jackson is a mean cop trailer, which despite looking incredibly formuliac, still looks like it could be awesome.

Burden of Proof on
    edited August 2008
    No, but I got the Samuel Jackson is a mean cop trailer, which despite looking incredibly formuliac, still looks like it could be awesome.
    That movie basically looks like a sequel to GTA San Andreas where Tenpenny survives and decides to start harassing his neighbors.

It looks hilarious.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    That movie basically looks like a sequel to GTA San Andreas where Tenpenny survives and decides to start harassing his neighbors.

It looks hilarious.

Everyone in the theater laughed at "I'm the PO-LICE you have to do what I say!"

captaink on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Oh look, controversy.

The "R-Word"?

I remember hearing about that. I think the term in question was actually "spastic" although I could be mistaken. I know that spastic isn't a slur or insult in America so that could be possible, at least.

Just sayin'

A dude at the store started giving me crap when I told my kid to not be a dumbass.

Keep in mind this is a word often said in a joking manner when my child does something foolish. It is not said hurtfully.

But this bag of crap got all in my face for using, and I quote, "profanity of that sort" around my child.

I told him to not be a dumbass, and my kid laughed. The idiot got all huffy and went elsewhere.

J. Grant on