As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS Homebrew Thread: Still Alive

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GSM wrote: »
    I can get ScummVM to load, in the directory it gives me a whole bunch of files labled A-F to load up to load up the ScummVM program. But I can't get any games to work for it. I tried to get Beneath A Steel Sky to work on it by downloading it from that site linked but ScummVM says, can't find any games. I'm using R4 if that helps. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Each build (A-F) supports a different set of games.

I believe build B is for Beneath a Steel Sky.

edit: Oh lookey here! There's a new version out, with support for a few new games!
    http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6079
    Ooh snap. Thanks dude now I get it. I'll try it when I get home.

Also what ever happened on the Duke on homebrew? I heard that somebody had Duke Nukem 3D working but without sound. Has that developed further since? I'd love Duke Nukem on the go, but I'd cut off my own dick for Blood on the DS so if that has been homebrewed and I don't know the first person to link me gets fellated to death.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah, I got my R4 earlier this week.

Man, this is brilliant. I'm currently typing while listening to some awesome music. Great quality too, when I use my headphones.

The DSoganize internet browser is teh suxxors though. About the only thing I can see myself doing on it is looking at GameFAQs guides.

Somestickguy on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay guys. My roomie just handed me his DS and his micro SD Supercard Lite. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm trying to get Quake DS up and running first. Halp?

august on
    edited August 2008
    I did some downloading and directory making and patching... but the SD card my roomate gave me dosen't fit in... the bit that goes in the bottom of the DS... at all.

august on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, it's a tight fit, you need to push it a bit. That's normal for that card.

Glal on
    edited August 2008
    The card he gave me was one of these

41jkHA4SVWL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

But without the side bit. So... yeah it fits a usb port... but obviously I'm missing the side bit and that's what I need (I think) so I'm going to have to wait for him to come home and find it.

august on
    edited August 2008
    OH SNAP FOUND THE THINGY QUAKE IS RUNNING.

august on
    edited August 2008
    So I see there's an executable for if your card provides extra ram. Does my card provide extra ram? It's a supercard lite.

august on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »
    So I see there's an executable for if your card provides extra ram. Does my card provide extra ram? It's a supercard lite.
    No.
    Extra RAM is a Slot 2 device. You can get them with built in GBA homebrew software and a rumble motor from...somewhere, I forget. But, yeag, it goes in where the GBA carts go, like the one that comes with the Opera browser.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The extra RAM is referring to a Slot 2 (GBA port) expansion card, so unless you have one of those, the answer is most likely no.

zanetheinsane on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can get ScummVM to load, in the directory it gives me a whole bunch of files labled A-F to load up to load up the ScummVM program. But I can't get any games to work for it. I tried to get Beneath A Steel Sky to work on it by downloading it from that site linked but ScummVM says, can't find any games. I'm using R4 if that helps. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

edit: Oh lookey here! There's a new version out, with support for a few new games!

Also what ever happened on the Duke on homebrew? I heard that somebody had Duke Nukem 3D working but without sound. Has that developed further since? I'd love Duke Nukem on the go, but I'd cut off my own dick for Blood on the DS so if that has been homebrewed and I don't know the first person to link me gets fellated to death.

I don't know about BLOOD, but here's where DN3D is so far:
    http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds-duke-nukem-3d-for-ds-80584.html

It works, but it's a lower framerate than DS DOOM, and the sound is so bad you probably just want to turn it off. You do still need the original files from the game. I got mine off an old PC Gamer cover CD, from when they were giving away full versions of classic games!

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
    edited August 2008
    I have a "super key" in the GBA slot, I'm guessing it's just a bypass device?

august on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't know about BLOOD, but here's where DN3D is so far:
    http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds-duke-nukem-3d-for-ds-80584.html

It works, but it's a lower framerate than DS DOOM, and the sound is so bad you probably just want to turn it off. You do still need the original files from the game. I got mine off an old PC Gamer cover CD, from when they were giving away full versions of classic games!

Damn.. well that's better than nothing. I guess I'll just have to wait then.

Question, what the hell is that red button on the main menu for? The one in the upper right hand corner with an R in it that when you click it, it turns green?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When green that enables a bit of resident code that lets you hold down some buttons to reset back to the R4DS menu, instead of having to power all the way off and on again. It causes problems with some executables (very few) so you get an option to enable and disable it.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited August 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    When green that enables a bit of resident code that lets you hold down some buttons to reset back to the R4DS menu, instead of having to power all the way off and on again. It causes problems with some executables (very few) so you get an option to enable and disable it.
    Oh cool, thanks.

Oh and the R4 can handle up to 2 or 4 gig chips?

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2008
    My R4 tops out at 2 GB. I assume they all do but I stopped following recent hardware developments after I got mine, around the time of that recent Woot 2 GB microSD card sale.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited August 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    My R4 tops out at 2 GB. I assume they all do but I stopped following recent hardware developments after I got mine, around the time of that recent Woot 2 GB microSD card sale.
    How long ago did you update, I have the version 1.18 software. If somebody could verify, it would save me going out and purchasing a 4gig stick and then following that purchase with a loud "FUCK".

The_Spaniard on
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and then following that purchase with a loud "FUCK".

:winky:

On another note, Lone Wolf is fan-fucking-tastic. One of the fews homebrews I felt justified a donation. I definitely want to see more chapters, and more of other gamebooks.

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I don't think SDHC support can be added with a software patch. Unless you find something that proves me wrong, you should assume the R4 tops out at 2 GB.

mspencer on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Everything I have heard is that the R4 is limited to 2gb and always will be, without a hardware revision.

LewieP on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's why the cyclo DS is awesome.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited August 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Everything I have heard is that the R4 is limited to 2gb and always will be, without a hardware revision.
    Sweet, thanks for the info. So hardware revision? You mean no firmware patch can fix that?
    The wha?

The_Spaniard on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sweet, thanks for the info. So hardware revision? You mean no firmware patch can fix that?

The loader in the R4 can't be updated with a firmware update (which is what you would need for SDHC compatibility) so if you buy an R4, you will never be able to use an SDHC card.

0blique on
    edited August 2008

I don't want to say never, but I am near 100% certain.

LewieP on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The wha?

http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl?page=news

Different cart that supports SDHC and some other stuff.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited August 2008
    The wha?

http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl?page=news

Different cart that supports SDHC and some other stuff.
    Looks fancy, but I got my R4 for 17.99 with free shipping so I'm set for now. What is SDHC?

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2008
    Any SD card 4gb or greater is SDHC.

"SD (Secure Digital) - High Capacity" iirc.

LewieP on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any SD card 4gb or greater is SDHC.

"SD (Secure Digital) - High Capacity" iirc.
    Technically, SDHC is the new format the Secure Digital foundation came up with to support capacities greater than 2GB. Unfortunately, they came up with it some time after many people had already started making cards with capacities bigger then 2GB anyway, essentially by hacking the old format. And the SDHC standard is different to that hacked format. So, SDHC cards are guaranteed to work in SDHC readers but not all large SD cards are SDHC so they are not. Oh and some cheap-ass bastards are sticking the SDHC logo on non-compliant shit and selling it for cheaps in China.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just postin' to say I am absolutely loving playing Quake1, original and both expansions, and also Quake2, on my DS.

After I make my way through these, I'm gonna start hitting up some of the best Quake1 TCs (I just tried nehahra, but I get some weird texture size errors).

Klaymen on
    edited August 2008
    Klaymen wrote: »
    Just postin' to say I am absolutely loving playing Quake1, original and both expansions, and also Quake2, on my DS.

After I make my way through these, I'm gonna start hitting up some of the best Quake1 TCs (I just tried nehahra, but I get some weird texture size errors).
    How would I get the quake expansions on my DS, better get out my disks..

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2008

Before you read on, you should note that to play the quake1 expansion, you will need a RAM expansion. It seems as though they use just too much RAM to work without a ram expansion (in fact, scourge of armagon starts up and even plays the gameplay demo, but fails to find enough memory to start a new game).

Long version: http://quake.drunkencoders.com/net_mods_tcs.html

Short version:
    For Scourge of Armagon make a directory in your MicroSD root called "hipnotic". Put the Scourge of Armagon pak0.pak in there, and a copy of your config.cfg from the id1 folder. Then, make a file called qdsopts.txt in your MicroSD root with the contents: "-game hipnotic". That's it. Run QuakeDS.nds and it will be in scourge of armagon mod.

Same thing for Dissolution of Eternity, except the folder name should be "rogue", and the txt file contents "-game rogue".

Klaymen on
    edited August 2008

Before you read on, you should note that to play the quake1 expansion, you will need a RAM expansion. It seems as though they use just too much RAM to work without a ram expansion (in fact, scourge of armagon starts up and even plays the gameplay demo, but fails to find enough memory to start a new game).

Short version:
    For Scourge of Armagon make a directory in your MicroSD root called "hipnotic". Put the Scourge of Armagon pak0.pak in there, and a copy of your config.cfg from the id1 folder. Then, make a file called qdsopts.txt in your MicroSD root with the contents: "-game hipnotic". That's it. Run QuakeDS.nds and it will be in scourge of armagon mod.

Same thing for Dissolution of Eternity, except the folder name should be "rogue", and the txt file contents "-game rogue".

So any time you want to play one of those you have to swap it out, you can't just have access to regular Quake and each expansion?

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2008

Short version:

So any time you want to play one of those you have to swap it out, you can't just have access to regular Quake and each expansion?

To the best of my knowledge, yes, you have to manually change the txt file.

However, you can hold L down during QuakeDS boot to get it to ignore the qdsopts.txt and boot in to regular Quake1. I also find it is convenient to use DSOrganise to edit the txt file, so I don't have to manually do it at a PC.

Klaymen on
    edited August 2008
    Does DS Doom support music or no?

august on
    edited August 2008
    edited August 2008
    Oh my god this is so awesome.

august on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    slow R4 shipping is slow :(

troublebrewing on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DSTT also supports SDHC.

Seriously, the R4 is overpriced crap getting by solely on name recognition.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »

This totally belongs in the OP.

august on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    DSTT also supports SDHC.

Seriously, the R4 is overpriced crap getting by solely on name recognition.

Yeah I bought it on recommendation from a friend and in frenzy of "oh noes ninty gonna ban flash carts" fervor.. since then I've looked at some other carts and had a friend that ordered a very nice cart from canada (name escapes me at the moment) and I regret it a little. I'm sure the R4 will be fine for me though, I probably won't even use it that much but I would like to check out the homebrew.

troublebrewing on