As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Poor People!

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Butler wrote: »
    See here is what I don't get, you guys entitle this a "poor" thread right? And then bitch about how you can't afford your new electric guitars and might have to rely on your parents for food while your ass is in college.

Are we talking about the same kind of "poor" here?

The fact that we are all accessing the internet in our spare time implies a certain basic level of wealth. And what we're (or at least I'm) objecting to is not so much your doing these things as your coming in here and advising other people to break the law.

Yea, but here I thought we were talking about poor people and the survival of said poor people. Obviously I am in the wrong thread. My bad.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    See here is what I don't get, you guys entitle this a "poor" thread right? And then bitch about how you can't afford your new electric guitars and might have to rely on your parents for food while your ass is in college.

The fact that we are all accessing the internet in our spare time implies a certain basic level of wealth. And what we're (or at least I'm) objecting to is not so much your doing these things as your coming in here and advising other people to break the law.

It's also a little him doing these things.

If you're so poor that you have to steal and commit fraud to survive, what are you doing on the internet?

A lot of people at that low juncture in their lives will actually gravitate right towards the internet

I've seen it happen

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So who is breaking into peoples houses?
    Who said anything about beating people up?

How many of you fuckers download shit all day long off torrents and want to get into my grill about survival when you're poor? lol jesus christ.

I'm not talking to you, dipshit. I'm talking to Fandy about why there is a respect for the law here. We don't like when people break it at our expense.

You, however, being a selfish prick, is perfectly willing to break it when benefits you.

NotASenator on
    edited August 2008
    I was just saying that, sometimes, it seems the general attitude of this forum is total respect for the law in any manifestation, where it's really just people who, like any reasonable person, do not like events in which someone else is victimized

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

The only means of income I have is music. My ability to eat and have a place to sleep directly comes from giving performances that are better than anyone else in the field. You bet your ass that having the necessary equipment to continue eating is high on my list of priorities.

That right there is pretty damn true. Though how often do you perform? I mean, as soon as I'm out of high school I'll be in the same boat, but unless you're actually touring, a part time day job works wonders. I guess it depends on where you play, though. Night time at local bars/clubs, or actually touring?

Most of my income comes from accompanying voice lessons. After that it's various shows, as MD or in the pit, sometimes rehearsal accompanist. After that it's random church gigs. I've played at bars and clubs, and take those every once in a while. I'm actually about to figure out my schedule for the year and then probably apply for a few part-time day jobs once I know just how my day is going to be.

Khavall on
    edited August 2008
    Also, I am a software developer, so yeah, no I don't steal things online either.

NotASenator on
    edited August 2008
    Sometimes I torrent games I used to own, or games from like 1999 that you can't even buy anymore.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited August 2008

If you're so poor that you have to steal and commit fraud to survive, what are you doing on the internet?

Because I was raised homeless? I spent years on the street and I figured a little advice on how to survive would go along way if some of you had the terrible misfortune of getting in that position. The iPod bit was a bit... out of line as it was mentioned out of spite and anger. Long story, won't go into it. When you're a "bum" the rules don't seem to apply to you since no one gives a flying fuck about you, but I digress, that is another story as well.

But hey, my bad, obviously I made a mistake and riled up the fucking perfect-police and their narcs.
    Let me get this thread back on track....

Uhm... last month my Dell laptop broke, and I didn't have enough cash in my checking account to get an Alienware, so I had to buy another Dell. Talk about shitty.

HallowedFaith on
    edited August 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I was just saying that, sometimes, it seems the general attitude of this forum is total respect for the law in any manifestation, where it's really just people who, like any reasonable person, do not like events in which someone else is victimized

By not respecting the law, you create an atmosphere where it's more likely that people will get victimized.

NotASenator on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

The only means of income I have is music. My ability to eat and have a place to sleep directly comes from giving performances that are better than anyone else in the field. You bet your ass that having the necessary equipment to continue eating is high on my list of priorities.

That right there is pretty damn true. Though how often do you perform? I mean, as soon as I'm out of high school I'll be in the same boat, but unless you're actually touring, a part time day job works wonders. I guess it depends on where you play, though. Night time at local bars/clubs, or actually touring?

Most of my income comes from accompanying voice lessons. After that it's various shows, as MD or in the pit, sometimes rehearsal accompanist. After that it's random church gigs. I've played at bars and clubs, and take those every once in a while. I'm actually about to figure out my schedule for the year and then probably apply for a few part-time day jobs once I know just how my day is going to be.

That's pretty kickass, though I guess it doesn't leave a lot of time for other income. However, any part time jobs I've worked have been pretty cool with me having to rearrange some shifts for shows/recording/whatever whatever. Just make sure you don't forget to mention it in the interview. That pisses them off sometimes..

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited August 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

By not respecting the law, you create an atmosphere where it's more likely that people will get victimized.

You're absolutely right. Which is why I'd like to see a lot of changes made in regard to victimless crimes in today's legal system, since one of the main motivators for disrespect and subsequent violence are drug possession laws, etc.

Basically I think a lot of violent crime is an outgrowth of the disrespect that comes from criminalizing victimless acts

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited August 2008

Because I was raised homeless? I spent years on the street and I figured a little advice on how to survive would go along way if some of you had the terrible misfortune of getting in that position. The iPod bit was a bit... out of line as a it mentioned out of spite and anger. Long story, won't go into it. When you're a "bum" the rules don't seem to apply to you since no one gives a flying fuck about you, but I digress, that is another story as well.

But hey, my bad, obviously I made a mistake and riled up the fucking perfect-police and their narcs.

Uhm... last month my Dell laptop broke, and I didn't have enough cash in my checking account to get an Alienware, so I had to buy another Dell. Talk about shitty.

Yeah, man, you know what, I am wrong. There are no shelters or soup kitchens and certainly no Child Protective Services in the U.S., so yeah, fuck the law. You have to eat, right?

NotASenator on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Poor people should move to Kentucky. They take care of people down there.

I grew up in section 8 housing and didn't have anything. It never bothered be though. I had a lot of fun as a kid and never bothered with caring about being poor. I haven't been "poor" since I was 16. I've worked hard and used my talents to make a better life. I saved every dime that I didn't have to spend and worked on my credit. I haven't worried about nothing since then.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's pretty kickass, though I guess it doesn't leave a lot of time for other income. However, any part time jobs I've worked have been pretty cool with me having to rearrange some shifts for shows/recording/whatever whatever. Just make sure you don't forget to mention it in the interview. That pisses them off sometimes..

I pretty much make sure to bring it up with anyone when in the past I've had part-time jobs.

Though I have a few voice teachers now that recommend me first, so I should be getting some heavy voice lessons this year, and may not even need anything else.

Khavall on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hallowed, as soon as you walk past a street kid who looks at you with hollow cheeks and familiar eyes, you can take him aside and give him your dubious advice for life on the mean streets

but this is a videogame forum full of kids, and the worst thing that's going to happen to almost anyone here is a trip back to suburbia and mom's spare bedroom. it's not the place to talk about nicking groceries and reselling tobacco like it's some clever trick for a buck on the side

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Hallowed really sounds like one of those people who blames situations in his life on other people.

Am I the only one who gets that feeling?

NotASenator on
    edited August 2008

Because I was raised homeless? I spent years on the street and I figured a little advice on how to survive would go along way if some of you had the terrible misfortune of getting in that position. The iPod bit was a bit... out of line as a it mentioned out of spite and anger. Long story, won't go into it. When you're a "bum" the rules don't seem to apply to you since no one gives a flying fuck about you, but I digress, that is another story as well.

Yeah, man, you know what, I am wrong. There are no shelters or soup kitchens and certainly no Child Protective Services in the U.S., so yeah, fuck the law. You have to eat, right?

Right. You obviously don't know what you're talking about so I'll let you continue to assume the world is all rainbows and happy smiles.

I will say that those services are a fucking blessing to mankind, even if they are just a minor band-aid on a much larger wound, they are indeed very welcomed.

HallowedFaith on
    edited August 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    hallowed, as soon as you walk past a street kid who looks at you with hollow cheeks and familiar eyes, you can take him aside and give him your dubious advice for life on the mean streets

but this is a videogame forum full of kids, and the worst thing that's going to happen to almost anyone here is a trip back to suburbia and mom's spare bedroom. it's not the place to talk about nicking groceries and reselling tobacco like it's some clever trick for a buck on the side

Well, I took the thread wrong. So I have since removed my post and replaced it with intense sarcasm. I apologized for my end-of-the-world suggestions. But I'm an idiot so it's all good.

HallowedFaith on
    edited August 2008

Right. You obviously don't know what you're talking about so I'll let you continue to assume the world is all rainbows and happy smiles.

I will say that those services are a fucking blessing to mankind, even if they are just a minor band-aid on a much larger wound, they are indeed very welcomed.

Sure.

I don't know anything about your situation, but you know everything about mine. Once again because everything is about you, right?

NotASenator on
    edited August 2008
    Hallowed really sounds like one of those people who blames situations in his life on other people.

Am I the only one who gets that feeling?

What situations? I was poor, now I am not. I worked to get to where I am and here I am...just like everyone else should. That feeling you get might be your overly huge sense of pride in being the most perfect fucking being on the planet. Congrats.

HallowedFaith on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well Self-righteous Squad, it looks like he has learned his lesson. I suppose it's time to go off and be heroes elsewhere.

Burden of Proof on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    The things I would like to know is how old were you when you ended up on the streets and how did you end up there.

Casper on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    get a job hippies

Unknown User on
    edited August 2008
    How do you know if you're a hippy?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    how much does your hair stink

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I wash it every day with green apple shampoo, so not at all.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How much weed have you smoked this week

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    Casper wrote: »
    The things I would like to know is how old were you when you ended up on the streets and how did you end up there.

He was born on the streets, like Dre.

NotASenator on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I pretty much make sure to bring it up with anyone when in the past I've had part-time jobs.

Though I have a few voice teachers now that recommend me first, so I should be getting some heavy voice lessons this year, and may not even need anything else.

Congrats on that. And I've only ever forgotten to mention it once, and that was the only job I've been fired from. Never doing that again.

I've been thinking about getting into lessons and things for some extra cash, but it's hard where I'm from. It's all small towns around here that have a lot of fairly successful musicians who still live in the area; the guys I learned from. First of all, competing with people like that would be intimidating to say the least, but there's also that respect thing. I mean, one of those guys records anything I do for half price because of various ties, so I really don't want him to think I'm trying to steal his business. I mean, there really isn't much to go around here.

Ah well, shitty part time jobs for me.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited August 2008
    not a hippy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I wash it every day with green apple shampoo, so not at all.

Wait...is it organic green apple shampoo?

NotASenator on
    edited August 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

A bunch I guess but is that alone enough to make me a hippy

Fuckin' hippies

(This 14 year old white kid friended me on Facebook and his religion is RASTAFARI in all caps and I think I'm going to find him and shoot him)

[edit] I like my products synthetic, thank you very much

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    guys im so poor i wont be able to afford a fourth 50 inch plasma screen, the cube will remain incomplete!

Unknown User on
    edited August 2008
    That doesn't really matter. I was young, I spent enough time on the west coast living off the streets because I had no idea how I even got to where I was. I ended up saving up money by using my "earth destructing" methods of obtaining cash, as well as sweeping parking lots and stocking outside gas stations full of pop for a few bucks here and there, eventually got a job at Arbys and saved enough money up to get a place, a broken down car that got me around and the rest is history. I'm not trying to cry because I was poor, I just understand that it isn't as black and white as people want to make it.

Looking in from the outside is a whole lot different than looking out from the inside. I think that goes for any perspective in life.

HallowedFaith on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

A bunch I guess but is that alone enough to make me a hippy

Fuckin' hippies

(This 14 year old white kid friended me on Facebook and his religion is RASTAFARI in all caps and I think I'm going to find him and shoot him)
    If you had answered differently to the hair question then you would definitely be a horrible gross hippie. As it stands right now you get a temporary reprieve.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    guys im so poor i wont be able to afford a fourth 50 inch plasma screen, the cube will remain incomplete!

Prolonged exposure to sensory cube causes man to turn into Billy Mays

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    im so poor i will only be able to afford gas on two of my seven SUVs this week

Unknown User on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am so poor I cannot decide between getting wasted via hard liquor or drugs

Brainleech on
    edited August 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am so poor I cannot decide between getting wasted via hard liquor or drugs
    Buy the drugs then sell them for a profit so you can get more alcohol.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited August 2008
    Or just do a bunch of crack, the CIA invented it for poor people, right

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg