As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf still awesome even today! (NSF56k)

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    perspective makes those darts look massive

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I'm gonna get me a Vulcan for my birthday in less than a month. How much is the Longshot? Like $30?

edit: That looks like a giant version guys. Pretty sure that's not perspective fooling your eyes.

edit2: And in the original pictures that I saw I didn't know it had a box for the chain. I figured it just hung out of it. So much more awesome.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    are new mavericks any better than the originals

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    new Mavericks are the same. Longshots are usually around $30 and not that impressive unless you're going to mod it.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't mind one of those Recons too. The mag fed pistol with a stock, barrel extension, laser sight, and flip up sight.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The Recon is good. I like it more than my Longshot, actually. The barrel extension, sights, and laser really only hurt the gun overall.

I like keeping the stock on, though and supporting the gun so that it barely moves when you cock the gun between shots

edit: I have too many guns by the way

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah the extras on it don't look so hot but it's probably cheap and effective. And if I do get a Longshot I will more than likely mod it to hell.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The disappointing thing about the Vulcan's chains are that they can't be connected together. Luckily they are attached with fabric, so a bit of scissor and tape work and you're good.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nerf did columbine

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm thinking of actually going out and buying some Mavs because of this "NerfHaven" website I found.

edit: Oh man, I think I'm in love.
    DSCF0100.jpg
    DSCF0108.jpg

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That sight if ugly but everything else is pretty damn nice.

There is a good/old nerf thread in Moe's tech forum. Pretty good pics of VoraciousAardvarks work

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that's not a sight that's a pressure gauge.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think that's some Buzz-Bee lever action modding.

I really need to get one of those. Currently my arsenal consists of two Mavericks.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is a pretty fucking cool nerf gun.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mysst wrote: »

Ahh, I forgot the shotgun had an air bladder.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, what the fuck is that pressure gauge doing there?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Steampunk

Fabricate on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jyardana wrote: »

Ahh, I forgot the shotgun had an air bladder.

it's steam punk.

and it's not a maverick. it's a lever action rifle from buzzbee. I have one sitting next to me.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's showing the tank's pressure? the way it has to work is that the lever pumps a tank, then you fire shots (and I'm guessing here but the design doesn't show any other way) by hand loading them one at a time. I may be off on the loading.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, what the fuck is that pressure gauge doing there?

If it wasn't turned into a solid state air tank and is still a plastic bladder it will prevent him from blowing it up, because I'm assuming he has plugged the overfill valve thing.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's showing the tank's pressure? the way it has to work is that the lever pumps a tank, then you fire shots (and I'm guessing here but the design doesn't show any other way) by hand loading them one at a time. I may be off on the loading.
    That is clearly a magazine poking out the bottom.

Buzzbee makes some pretty sweet guns even if they seem of somewhat less quality than Nerf guns. They have a double barrel shotgun that breaks to load and has shells like that lever action. Even better is when you break it again to reload the old shells pop out.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    that seems like it would be the air tank to me, with how the chamber is open on top.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The gauge is merely ornamental. The person modding that just glued it on along with the tube on the side. The rifle is lever action and is magazine fed. Shells eject after you shoot and reload.

Stop being dumb.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    well then it makes it look stupid and I assumed it had a practical purpose.

it's spring driven, then, and not air?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    that seems like it would be the air tank to me, with how the chamber is open on top.
    Well that is where the shells come out.

edit: Christ guys, this is easy. It works the same way Nerf guns do. You pull the lever to cock it and pull the trigger to fire. It is air powered just like any other foam dart launching gun and the gauge on top is to make it look steampunk. It is not functional.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's fucking steam punk, Mysst. There is no god damned purpose. Come on, man.

The way the actual gun works is similar to any other dart gun. You cock it with that lever and that pulls a spring and a plunger back to suck in air that then blows out the dart when you pull the trigger.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Futore wrote: »

It's fucking steam punk, Mysst. There is no god damned purpose. Come on, man.

The way the actual gun works is similar to any other dart gun. You cock it with that lever and that pulls a spring and a plunger back to suck in air that then blows out the dart when you pull the trigger.

Not if that's the buzz-bee shotgun. That particular gun is actually a fairly convoluted air bladder system where cocking it fills the bladder.

There is no spring in it.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    look, my mind's image of steampunk is each piece serving a damn purpose. that's my rule for everything and I assume that if you put a piece of machinery on something that's what its for. if you want decoration you go with paint and fins or something obviously not a device.

also, does it work off of just one pump? I wouldn't think it'd be very powerful unless they have advanced hand-pumping technology since I was 12.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    look, my mind's image of steampunk is each piece serving a damn purpose. that's my rule for everything and I assume that if you put a piece of machinery on something that's what its for. if you want decoration you go with paint and fins or something obviously not a device.
    You are thinking of REAL steampunk where everything serves a purpose.

This is FAKE steampunk where you tack on a bunch of extranneous crap to make it look steampunk.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    The gauge is merely ornamental. The person modding that just glued it on along with the tube on the side. The rifle is lever action and is magazine fed. Shells eject after you shoot and reload.

Stop being dumb.
    Exactly. And that's all it looks like.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i liked steampunk until people started talking about it and hammering together goofy bullshit all the time

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fallout knows what's what.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Over/under shotguns look so badass.

Just sayin'.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man.

It looks cool, why does it have to serve a practical purpose?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    when you put form before function you end up with the goddamned adam west batmobile.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's not even a form v. function thing, the tube and the gauge just looked silly and tacked on. They look like he waited until the night before for the big steam punk final and threw on a bunch of junk for no real reason. Everything else about it is cool, but those tubes. . .

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Over/under shotguns look so badass.

Just sayin'.

I have a couple. They are badass.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When you put form before function you get nerf guns modded to look steam punk. I can't believe I had to explain this.
    Ihopeyourchildchokesonthedarts.jpg

You put your chubby little fingers in the lever and cock it forward. That acts as a lever and pulls the cylinder back and moves the plunger inside so that it sucks in air. When you put the lever back down, the cylinder moves forward to touch the back of the shell that is holding the dart. You pull the trigger and shoot a dart.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I doubt anyone can read that but it looks so clear to my adhd mind.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's sawed off so the nerf bullets will have a larger spread, duh.

Penguin Incarnate on