As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCIV: Version 1.02 is out. Vader/Yoda DLC is UP! PA Meta-Friend in OP!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    The OP talks about Soul Edge/Calibur's final form is unlockable from the beginning. How is that possible? Put in spoilers if you want. :)

The collector's edition comes with them unlocked, but I was able to earn mine the old-fashioned way.

What's the old fashioned way? :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Finish story mode with a character and then go buy it in the character creator for something like 30k. Not all the characters have a Soul Calibur/edge as a final weapon though.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always earn my swords by buying em in stores. (after beating the game with nightmare and seig)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    The OP talks about Soul Edge/Calibur's final form is unlockable from the beginning. How is that possible? Put in spoilers if you want. :)

The collector's edition comes with them unlocked, but I was able to earn mine the old-fashioned way.

What's the old fashioned way? :)

This is hardly even spoiler-worthy, but
    Beat the game with Siegfried and Nightmare, then you can spend Gold to unlock their Final Form weapons in Character Customization like any other weapon.
    Edit:
    Well, I guess I shouldn't have bothered spoilering at all! To be fair, it was only for the benefit of extreme do-it-yourselfers who refuse to read any clues. And fuck them, right? :P

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Really? I never saw one there. :( Is it for Nightmare/Seigfried?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yep they are in there. Also your posts need 100% more simon pegg again.

Speaking of mine need 100% less lame naruto av that I put up like 18 months ago.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    T-minus two days and counting. Man... These bars are absolutely killing me! Simon needs out!

That said, I made a simon pegg char on the CaS, but it's not very good.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One more question: is it possible to share your guys around? Say I have mitsurugi level 9 and then an epic custom guy on my console, and I want to take it over to my friend's house and play on his box against one of his guys. Is this possible, or do you have to do it online all the time?

Sakeido on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hilde is awesome. Haters be damned.

Vray on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vray wrote: »

Yes.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    can anyone confirm/deny that the LE costumes are for sale in certain regions as DLC? and if this is true, is the DLC region locked?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My first online experience for this game was horrible. I got on, and the first guy was playing a Cervantes style custom character, and he was yelling that I was probably a button masher before the match even started. Get into the match, I'm beating his ass, and the game is dropped in the 2nd round. I figured he quit out, whatever, on to the next one.

The next 4 matches were all Cervantes style custom characters, all played by different people, all of them spamming the same over powered moves again and again. It was lame as fuck and not fun at all. Anyone else having these sorts of problems?

Also, must be my connection, but I've been getting a good bit of lag playing too. More than would be expected at times. Sucks a lot trying to play online. I've just been sticking to single player and playing with friends at the house.

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, my online experience has been quite positive. One guy even rickroll'd me.

jimmy8091 on
    I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ps3? i'll play you, itll be fun!

but yea playing with random dudes is a completely mixed bag. the lag should be pretty nonexistent if you stick with 5 bar connections though, and at least not annoyingly bad with a 4 bar connection.

dudes who drop out of matches when theyre losing are the worst. i mean its unranked, it doesnt even count towards anything.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    jimmy8091jimmy8091 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of spamming moves... Asti's entire move set is spam city.
    • 22B 28B+G
    • A+B 1A 66[K] 1B+G
    Game over

jimmy8091 on
    I adblock your sigs.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anyone up for a quick match or two on the pee ess tree?

Vray on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sure

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My first online experience for this game was horrible. I got on, and the first guy was playing a Cervantes style custom character, and he was yelling that I was probably a button masher before the match even started. Get into the match, I'm beating his ass, and the game is dropped in the 2nd round. I figured he quit out, whatever, on to the next one.

The next 4 matches were all Cervantes style custom characters, all played by different people, all of them spamming the same over powered moves again and again. It was lame as fuck and not fun at all. Anyone else having these sorts of problems?

Also, must be my connection, but I've been getting a good bit of lag playing too. More than would be expected at times. Sucks a lot trying to play online. I've just been sticking to single player and playing with friends at the house.

Sidestep.

Seriously. Sidestep a lot. This fucks the Cervantes players right through their pants.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »
    One more question: is it possible to share your guys around? Say I have mitsurugi level 9 and then an epic custom guy on my console, and I want to take it over to my friend's house and play on his box against one of his guys. Is this possible, or do you have to do it online all the time?

You've pretty much stuck basically writing down or remembering your character settings...or maybe using a memory card but then you would have to overwrite data so that doesn't work. Yeah, just have to remember how you made them and make them again.

Also for the challenge, I'm up for it. The name is NinjaDakuFox, I'm mostly on during the weekend because of work. Though you can find my brother on most of the week and he's pretty good himself. My mic is also broken though so I can't talk until I get a new one.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Got my 360 copy in the mail from gamefly yesterday. Aside from playing with my friends when they were playing, I've never had any SC but I've really been enjoying this game.

When I first started it up I looked online for some move lists / Beginner guides and was immediately overwhelmed so I said "fuck it" and just picked a character based on looks. Hilde looked awesome with a polearm and shortsword so I rocked that for a while. Eventually I started playing around with different characters and fell into Rapheal. My friend who's a big SC guy was telling me he isn't really good and started explaining... some really complicated shit about frames and blah blah, but whatever I have fun with him :)

So I started playing online and I definitely ran into the Cerv spammers I was reading about. Not really a big deal, since a couple of Raphs moves naturally sidestep him. I like his fencing style, feinting before moves to trick people, fun stuff. Anyway, for never playing a SC game before I'm having a blast, and doing alright, I have a 1:1 win loss ratio right now, so I'm pretty happy with that. My biggest complaint is just that 90% of the people I play online use the same 3 people: Kilik, Cerv, or Sieg. Not that it's a problem per-se... I've kind of already figured out their move sets that people constantly use since I've played them so much, but damn with that many characters on the select screen I only ever get to fight against those 3 :/ Part of the reason I think I do ok as Raph is that the people I fight have no idea what I'm going to throw at them cause they only ever fight those other 3 :P

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the games, Pook. Hooray Hilde! We actually won a few matches!

Anyways, I know it's time to hang it up for the night when I start brain farting and find myself standing around just waiting to be hit.

Vray on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok dudes, who's down for some SC4? Got my arcade stick in and im itching to fight some one who isn't a ranked match move spammer :-/

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok dudes, who's down for some SC4? Got my arcade stick in and im itching to fight some one who isn't a ranked match move spammer :-/

if you play on the 360, my gt is in my sig.

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Culver wrote: »

if you play on the 360, my gt is in my sig.
    I shall send you an invite!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Yes.

Hilde is awesome for the CF alone.
    (almost as good as Yoda's)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Sometimes I really hate online games.

I ran into a kid who was playing talim versus my siegfried, and was literally only pressing the A button the entire match. He did this for the entire first round, with me only being able to break through it with siggy's basic kick. So after losing the first round, and him continuing with the "tactic" of only pressing one button, I started just timing my kicks to hit him as soon as he would start to swing.

So after I win the remaining rounds and the match, he obviously starts screaming at me for being a button masher. -_-

Anyway, I really like the Hilde moveset/weapons. But I am having a hell of a time trying to learn to use them online, I either run into the above example, or some guy 40 levels above me who stomps me into the ground.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn, I wish I could play against whoever you guys are. The most I've gotten in terms of insults is a couple of kids talking to each other about me and saying I must play the game 24/7, weigh 350 lbs., and live in a basement. Then they kicked me.

I would love to get bitched out! It would make my day.

Did a couple of minor updates to the character section. I'll get more done tomorrow, and I may be able to play some games, too.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    Damn, I wish I could play against whoever you guys are. The most I've gotten in terms of insults is a couple of kids talking to each other about me and saying I must play the game 24/7, weigh 350 lbs., and live in a basement. Then they kicked me.

Did a couple of minor updates to the character section. I'll get more done tomorrow, and I may be able to play some games, too.

Oh I've had plenty myself...the most notable ones I would say were.

-A dude calling me a scrub because he kept falling for the same(easily avoidable I might add) attacks over and over again. Which was made even funnier since all he did was press the B button.

-A dude saying some quite unsavory things about my mother, and calling me a few names in the process.

And my all time favorite was when I guy who'd been going 35-6 before I entered had a complete meltdown when I beat him 3-0 in a 3 round match. I think I even got a perfect. It was so messed up that after a while his ranting just blurred together and sounded like a bunch of random jibberish. I was kicked afterwards of course.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish I invested half as much time into her as you did. If only for her regular costume.

Taki is getting boring. Been playing with possession to make up for it, but maybe I'll move on to a more interesting character.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just don't use the headset when playing online. The chances of the other person being pleasant to listen to seem... low.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Page- wrote: »

Jesus...yeah because they suck you must be fat. Idiots.

I keep getting booted out now, like almost every game where I kill the host. Drives me mad. Namco need to sort that out really. 'No being a baby and kicking someone' rages.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

Yes.

I still love Hilde, but damnit man I think I've plateaued or something. :(

Also Male Hildes seem pretty terrible because I can't do FC ChargeB, B, A. The A misses. It sucks!

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm loving this game. I've been a huge fan of the series since SC on the Dreamcast, and I've played SCIV pretty much non-stop since its release. I main Taki and Sophitia, and so far I've gotten 770/1000 achievement points. I don't know why I'm so compelled to get the achievements on this one; I think maybe it's b/c I love the series so much I want it to be my first 1000/1000 game. 8-)

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really want to like Hilde, but she's easy to sidestep at range since really all of her good anti-steps are with the shortsword, which has balls range. In close almost all of the spear attacks except for maybe two are heavily punishable with little to no mixup to make up for it. To make matters worse, she doesn't have a really stellar close game with the shortsword.

She's just one of those characters like Raphael that's vulnerable as hell to stepping, but at least Raph has more tools to deal with it. I firmly believe that anyone can dominate with any character, but Hilde get's the shaft in only having half her moveset to use at any one time, whereas most characters can utilize their full potential as long as they keep their range.

She's going to lose out a long range game against characters like Kilik, Astaroth, or Sieg, and it's just to easy to step into her as a short range character and punish from right up on her where you know the shortsword doesn't do as well.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really want to like Hilde, but she's easy to sidestep at range since really all of her good anti-steps are with the shortsword, which has balls range. In close almost all of the spear attacks except for maybe two are heavily punishable with little to no mixup to make up for it. To make matters worse, she doesn't have a really stellar close game with the shortsword.

She's just one of those characters like Raphael that's vulnerable as hell to stepping, but at least Raph has more tools to deal with it. I firmly believe that anyone can dominate with any character, but Hilde get's the shaft in only having half her moveset to use at any one time, whereas most characters can utilize their full potential as long as they keep their range.

She's going to lose out a long range game against characters like Kilik, Astaroth, or Sieg, and it's just to easy to step into her as a short range character and punish from right up on her where you know the shortsword doesn't do as well.

I've given up on Hilde for the same reason. I can't find a way to effectively use her charge moves aside from turtling away from my opponent...not exactly fun.

I used to main Cervantes...but everyone here is right about easy sidestep counters. Cerv really doesn't have an answer for those.

Does anyone here kinda love getting destroyed by great players like I do? I consider my self an "ok" player (win ratio ~60%). Getting hammered by someone who really knows there shit is kind of incredible to watch; and a great way to learn. Someone beat me with Zas the other day in three straight rounds of seemingly non-ending combo magic. He was awesome.

Trying to get the hang of Amy now...she's tricky w/ the high/low mix ups.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone here kinda love getting destroyed by great players like I do? I consider my self an "ok" player (win ratio ~60%). Getting hammered by someone who really knows there shit is kind of incredible to watch; and a great way to learn. Someone beat me with Zas the other day in three straight rounds of seemingly non-ending combo magic. He was awesome.

Indeed. Part of the fun in fighting games, for me at least, is seeing what other people can do.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is too hard for me. :(

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I got about 6 staight ranked matches vs people who didn't spam last night. That must be some kind of record.

Anyone know of any fast poking combos for Cass. besides 6AAA, and freerun KK

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm definitely hating the fact that you can only have one person "signed in" at a time and as a result can only ever use the customs and unlocked characters of one person at a time. It seems to be a MASSIVE oversight for games that are designed for competitive play against other people and include a fairly robust create-a-character mode.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm definitely hating the fact that you can only have one person "signed in" at a time and as a result can only ever use the customs and unlocked characters of one person at a time. It seems to be a MASSIVE oversight for games that are designed for competitive play against other people and include a fairly robust create-a-character mode.

Wait, so if two people are signed in to the same console only the CaS for one person are selectable?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf