As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCIV: Version 1.02 is out. Vader/Yoda DLC is UP! PA Meta-Friend in OP!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    I'm definitely hating the fact that you can only have one person "signed in" at a time and as a result can only ever use the customs and unlocked characters of one person at a time. It seems to be a MASSIVE oversight for games that are designed for competitive play against other people and include a fairly robust create-a-character mode.

Wait, so if two people are signed in to the same console only the CaS for one person are selectable?

as far as I've been able to tell. The game essentially exclusively uses the profile of whichever profile presses start at the title screen.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone else play Yun Seong? I never seen him online once.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm definitely hating the fact that you can only have one person "signed in" at a time and as a result can only ever use the customs and unlocked characters of one person at a time. It seems to be a MASSIVE oversight for games that are designed for competitive play against other people and include a fairly robust create-a-character mode.

Wait, so if two people are signed in to the same console only the CaS for one person are selectable?

as far as I've been able to tell. The game essentially exclusively uses the profile of whichever profile presses start at the title screen.

That sounds like a bit of a problem. Especially since my girl and I have been specifically saving our characters to our own separate profiles...

You know what else pisses me off about the character creation system? All of the items and clothing have different stats. Normally in an RPG, per se, that wouldn't bug me, but isn't the main point of CC in a fighting game like this to customize a character exactly the way you want it to look? I find I have to keep making compromises because my characters are gimped without some of the better (and uglier) equipment. Sad story.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

That sounds like a bit of a problem. Especially since my girl and I have been specifically saving our characters to our own separate profiles...
    My wife and I avoided that problem because we didn't want to independently work to get all the items. So, we're both on my profile, but that's going to be a bit inconvenient when she's online in my profile and everyone thinks she's me.
    You know what else pisses me off about the character creation system? All of the items and clothing have different stats. Normally in an RPG, per se, that wouldn't bug me, but isn't the main point of CC in a fighting game like this to customize a character exactly the way you want it to look? I find I have to keep making compromises because my characters are gimped without some of the better (and uglier) equipment. Sad story.
    I just made two different sets of characters. Item fighters and Looks fighters. It's a shame you have to do that, but it doesn't bother me that much now that I have the Item fighters set up.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    as long as you never play the special mode I think all your stats should be balanced to be exactly that of whatever style you're using. Again, I think, only in the special mode that your stats matter.

I can only imagine how lame it would be to actually play special mode online. Not only would you have people doing lame spamming, but also maxing their stats specifically to make their spam cheesier.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »

I play vs him about 40% of the time it feels like. Last night I played at least 4 different guys multiple times using Yun. I wish I could play more actual fighters in ranked I seem to play better vs good players (always have in fighters for some reason prob. something with the randomness of mashers) and playing the lower skilled players I develop bad habits.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    as long as you never play the special mode I think all your stats should be balanced to be exactly that of whatever style you're using. Again, I think, only in the special mode that your stats matter.

I can only imagine how lame it would be to actually play special mode online. Not only would you have people doing lame spamming, but also maxing their stats specifically to make their spam cheesier.

Well, I also like to use them while climbing the Tower of Lost Souls. Stats count there too.

And for the record, I am still unable to assign any skills to my characters. Been using them a lot and trying to level them, but I dunno. I just don't get the mechanics.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Special online would suck.. my guy is cheap as hell with all his abilities & stats enabled.

I tried playing online last night too.. one guy playing as Astaroth destroyed me. He only ever used the same combo, then he would do a massive juggle into a throw that would take off 1/3rd my lifebar every time. It was pretty frustrating..

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »

Special online would suck.. my guy is cheap as hell with all his abilities & stats enabled.

I tried playing online last night too.. one guy playing as Astaroth destroyed me. He only ever used the same combo, then he would do a massive juggle into a throw that would take off 1/3rd my lifebar every time. It was pretty frustrating..

sounds like you were playing my brother. . . that's his schtick. . . it made me hate playing soul calibur 2 with him. He also has this uncanny ability to throw even if he's out of range, or even if you throw him first, his throws just take priority for some strange reason.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And for the record, I am still unable to assign any skills to my characters. Been using them a lot and trying to level them, but I dunno. I just don't get the mechanics.

Each skill has two requirements: Style level and Category Points.

The style level is for each of the main fighters; e.g. your custom character uses Cervantes style, so you need Cervantes Style at or above the required level of the skill. You can increase style level by playing with either "real" Cervantes or a custom with Cervantes style.

The category points vary by skill. For instance, HP Drain C is, I believe 60 Gauge Points, so you need to have equipment that gives you at least 60 Gauge Points. Shave Damage C requires 50 Power points, so you need at least that much from your weapon + armor. If the items you have equipped don't add those types of points, you won't be able to equip those skills no matter what your Style level is.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

sounds like you were playing my brother. . . that's his schtick. . . it made me hate playing soul calibur 2 with him. He also has this uncanny ability to throw even if he's out of range, or even if you throw him first, his throws just take priority for some strange reason.

I'm not 100% on this but command throws tend to override normal throws in tekken so I don't see why namco would change the formula here. So it could be that.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck. I made a Siegfried Style custom with Strengthen Vertical, HP Drain A, and ... shit, Now I can't remember the other skills, but it was amazing. Is there a comprehensive Skill List anywhere online?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

I play vs him about 40% of the time it feels like. Last night I played at least 4 different guys multiple times using Yun. I wish I could play more actual fighters in ranked I seem to play better vs good players (always have in fighters for some reason prob. something with the randomness of mashers) and playing the lower skilled players I develop bad habits.

Should play my brother, he's been playing with Yun Seong a bit and has gotten pretty good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone around now on the xbox?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I can't play right now because the TV is occupied, but I'll add you to my friends list.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do any of the PA guys play on xbox late night? (like 12:30-2:30est)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Do any of the PA guys play on xbox late night? (like 12:30-2:30est)

I do except on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays(Have school the next day on those days) so you can usually find me on then.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Should all the icons be filled with characters on the character select screen? I ask because at the top row, theres a blank square on the third column.

I think I've beaten the story mode with all the characters, but is there something else I need to do?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The empty spot is supposedly for the missing star wars character we are getting in dlc.

Dragkonias I just need to get to lvl 20 for the achievment then I am on to player matches (17 or 18 atm)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Should all the icons be filled with characters on the character select screen? I ask because at the top row, theres a blank square on the third column.

I think I've beaten the story mode with all the characters, but is there something else I need to do?

Naw that one should be empty...most people think that's where Vader goes/(or Yoda if it's the same square in the PS3 version).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Each skill has two requirements: Style level and Category Points.

The style level is for each of the main fighters; e.g. your custom character uses Cervantes style, so you need Cervantes Style at or above the required level of the skill. You can increase style level by playing with either "real" Cervantes or a custom with Cervantes style.

The category points vary by skill. For instance, HP Drain C is, I believe 60 Gauge Points, so you need to have equipment that gives you at least 60 Gauge Points. Shave Damage C requires 50 Power points, so you need at least that much from your weapon + armor. If the items you have equipped don't add those types of points, you won't be able to equip those skills no matter what your Style level is.

Ah okay, I think I get it now. Damn, did they ever neglect to put a lot of this shit in the manual. The game is possibly the most complex fighter I've ever played (not that I've played a lot of fighters before) and it doesn't come with enough instructions to teach you the basics, let alone the intricacies. Thanks for the pointers.

By the way, I just learned that Shura uses Cervantes' style. I thought it was just her own exclusive style that I couldn't use in a custom character, and that made me sad. I wonder if you can still use her double katanas...

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'm not 100% on this but command throws tend to override normal throws in tekken so I don't see why namco would change the formula here. So it could be that.

hrmm maybe that's it, but I notice this uncanny ability in other games too :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if you can still use her double katanas...

You mean Naked Twin Blades?
    Moar liek naked twin bewbs m i rite?

EDIT: Asking again - Is there a list of the available skills on the net anywhere?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if you can still use her double katanas...

Moar liek naked twin bewbs m i rite?

EDIT: Asking again - Is there a list of the available skills on the net anywhere?

I just mean double katanas in general. Buddy, that's so Miyamoto Musashi. I hear people think Cerv is really cheap, though...
    u r rite :winky:

Edit: I can't seem to find a skill list either. But if I remember correctly, they should all be displayed in the create menu, just some greyed out.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    they should all be displayed in the create menu, just some greyed out.

Oh, I know that, it's just that I'm at work, and I'm trying to remember what damn skill build I had on my Siegfried Custom and I just don't remember and aaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

I just mean double katanas in general.

It's the Stage where you fight her in Story Mode. Naked Twin Blades.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm, I really hope they add a fisticuffs style to the game soon. Moreso for the CAS than anything, I also kind of wish that characters could have alternate stances. Some of the female stances on male characters can be...disturbing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmmm, I really hope they add a fisticuffs style to the game soon. Moreso for the CAS than anything, I also kind of wish that characters could have alternate stances. Some of the female stances on male characters can be...disturbing.

Haha, Huge Male with Cassandra's Style? D:D:D:D:D:D:

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Haha, Huge Male with Cassandra's Style? D:D:D:D:D:D:

I played that CAS last night.... Disturbing is about right. I am a sucker for lizardman characters female ones are the most entertaining it reminds me of like a japanese horror movie or something... which gives me an idea to create the girl from the ring as a lizardman CAS.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah okay, I think I get it now. Damn, did they ever neglect to put a lot of this shit in the manual. The game is possibly the most complex fighter I've ever played (not that I've played a lot of fighters before) and it doesn't come with enough instructions to teach you the basics, let alone the intricacies. Thanks for the pointers.
    No problem. I tried to whip together a CaS the first day I got the game and just gave up on skills until I got to the Tower. After having unlocked and browsed a bunch of equipment, the point categories (eventually) dawned on me.

I haven't had the need to set skills outside of that Tower level that requires you to Critical Finish everybody, so I put off figuring it out for a while. Soul Gauge Vamp was literally the only way I could get the treasure.
    By the way, I just learned that Shura uses Cervantes' style. I thought it was just her own exclusive style that I couldn't use in a custom character, and that made me sad. I wonder if you can still use her double katanas...
    I suspect that the guest character weapons aren't available, in much the same way as Lightsabers™ aren't available for CaS. I wonder if it has anything to do with copyright law.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's a shame. Makes sense, now that I remember Angol Fear's funky ball-staff (haven't seen that one available). I guess I'll have to stick with the breast monster Shura for double katana pleasure.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Damn, I really wanted to Kirakirimusi's enormous tree trunk/club thing. :(

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What kinda style does she use, anyway? Siegfried? Nightmare?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What kinda style does she use, anyway? Siegfried? Nightmare?

I wasn't paying much attention when I played against her, but I'm pretty sure it was Siegfried.. if I remember right, she always has two hands on her weapon

edit: fuck, had it backwards. she is Nightmare's style, always has a hand in front of her like nightmare does

Sakeido on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did Astaroth get buffed or something? The last time I played him in SCII he basically trundled around before dying horribly. I just picked him up again and he's got some fucking crazy moves. Beat the living shit out of my friends.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Anybody wanted to play a few games? I got like a good hour at the moment.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man, Rock is just awful.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, Yoshimitsu is a beast.

Well, I don't know if he's good, but he has some hilarious moves that really fuck with people.

Food on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Problem I see with most Yoshi people is that they're always killng themselves.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I just don't use the headset when playing online. The chances of the other person being pleasant to listen to seem... low.

if any of the PAers had headsets (*cough*) i would use mine more regularly. as it is the few people who have had headsets that ive run into on the ps3 made me kind of glad its not a universal thing like it is on the 360. i can do without that nonsense.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I just don't use the headset when playing online. The chances of the other person being pleasant to listen to seem... low.

if any of the PAers had headsets (*cough*) i would use mine more regularly. as it is the few people who have had headsets that ive run into on the ps3 made me kind of glad its not a universal thing like it is on the 360. i can do without that nonsense.

Couldn't you do without that nonsense by simply not wearing a headset while playing randoms on Live? I mean, that's what I do and it seems to work out okay.

templewulf on