As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames - I'm Barack Obama and I APPROVE THIS ASS-KICKIN'

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I'm hoping you can load up a transport helicopter with AI friendlies and a co-op buddy. If so, I'm readying up "Paint it Black" for those hot LZ landings.
    PIB might have the cultural impact, but I can't think of anything more perfect than Big Sky for those landings en masse and the ensuing ruckus.

And in the latest turn of decision-breaking, Amazon is telling me that I can get the PC version ten bucks cheaper than the Live version. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Man. I'm watchin' one of the videos where two dudes are air-raping a city and one dude calls in a nuke - and while the explosion and cloud are of course awesomely impressive, it didn't really do anything to the cityscape. :(

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a tactical nuke. Alot less powerful than the real thing.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also it calls the nuke a bunker buster so its designed to detonate underground so i guess the surrounding area would be affected as much.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my word.

Did he just pick up that tank?

He did.

He did.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh my word.

Did he just pick up that tank?

He did.

He did.

the more i think about it "oh no he di'nt" is really the perfect expression of this game

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One question about co-op: is there an option to have split screen local co-op? Not a make or break thing for me, but it'd be a nice thing to have. I've already got it on preorder.

SteevL on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Could not want more.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Upon viewing that video, it was like a nuke went off in my pants.

A nuke filled with semen.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok. It's a day-one purchase. Sold.

My wallet is going to take a pounding over the next couple of months, but it'll be so worth it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    One question about co-op: is there an option to have split screen local co-op? Not a make or break thing for me, but it'd be a nice thing to have. I've already got it on preorder.

http://www.pandemicstudios.com/community/viewtopic.php?id=5311&p=1
    Okay, so the first big announcement is... Splitscreen. There is none. Not on any version.

It's a real bummer for me, because I'd like to play with my roommate, but I'm not buying another 360 and another copy of Mercs 2 to make it happen.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my god. OHMYGOD.

I was excited before, now I'm... something more than excited. Enthralled? I dunno.

All I know is that my 360 better return from the grave by Aug 31st, cause this I need to play.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy Jesus, gonna preorder this today.

Add me, gamertag is Pyromaniac221, we can blow shit up and stuff. This is like GTA on crack. Just make sure you tell me you're from PA.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I gave in and got the PC version, though it's not like I'll get it earlier with the 360 version at any rate with college starting. Although now I'm wondering: has there been any mention about how the PC version handles co-op and such? Are we going to have to join a service or something? Is there going to be a matchmaking server or something we use to find out who's where before we can connect to them directly?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was trying to read through that thread to find the answer to my questions but I still have one left

what are the system requirements?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    I was trying to read through that thread to find the answer to my questions but I still have one left

1 x Xbox 360 Home Entertainment Console System

(PC specs have not been announced yet)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    zimfan wrote: »

1 x Xbox 360 Home Entertainment Console System

(PC specs have not been announced yet)

but I own a Wii

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New videos (I think, sorry if they're not.)

Awesome Meh Love the jeep bailout
    This game looks a bit easy, but thoroughly satisfying.

Edit: And of course, these are just demos, so the difficulty will probably be different in the full version. I finished the first game, and it had some painful missions.

Edit: The videos didn't come up at first, so I took them out of the spoiler tags. Now I put them back in. I'll work it out. :P

Blain on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yay fuel air bomb is back! We missed ya old buddy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    returning fi-WHAM

the overkill is glorious

Nuzak on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does the OP really say it's coming out for the PC?

So does everything else! That's amazing. And it makes me happy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, even though you put "Meh" for the second video, the glorious thing is that the game allows you a bunch of options for taking out your targets in a sandbox environment. This is something I feel that GTA strives for but can't get quite right, so hopefully it's well-done in this.

The reason for the new thread title is simple: When Mercs 1 came out, I didn't play it for a year. Amongst the good reviews, I shouted a big "meh" to it. And that's because of how it presented itself; looking at screenshots, I saw a standard-looking military-style game, I was drawing comparison to Tom Clancy-type shit that I don't play. But when I took that chance, I found it a completely different animal.

I hope other people haven't made this mistake.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'd play it if it didn't freeze every five minutes. Time to go hunt down a PS2 copy.

freakish light on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish the Xbox BC for Mercenaries 1 wasn't some sort of cruel practical joke.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After I saw those videos, I keep on asking myself

"Why was I hesitant about buying this game?"

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know...my game budget is already stretched thin as is...choosing between this and Force Unleashed is just really annoying.

I think I should just flip a coin or something...but I always end up going back on my coinflips.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know...my game budget is already stretched thin as is...choosing between this and Force Unleashed is just really annoying.

I think I should just flip a coin or something...but I always end up going back on my coinflips.

The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Do the coin flip and don't go back on it.

Really, since seeing The Dark Knight I've been using a coin flip to settle (minor) decisions like this one, and if anything else it's a huge time-saver.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If it is this or Force Unleashed get this. FU can wait, it isnt multiplayer in any way. This is going to have a fierce co-op community until about February.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Never played the first one, didn't really know shit about the series. Saw videos, totally sold. I need some new over the top violence after Crackdown!

Echo on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Does Force Unleashed have co-op as well?

edit: Looks like Scarab already covered that.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Never played the first one, didn't really know shit about the series. Saw videos, totally sold. I need some new over the top violence after Crackdown!

A job well-done. 8-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait is there split screen? A quick google says yes, but everyone on the Kotaku comments are bitching about it not being included.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »
    Wait is there split screen? A quick google says yes, but everyone on the Kotaku comments are bitching about it not being included.
    No, I don't think it has split screen. It looks like EDF:2017 and Gears will remain the king of splits screen co-op.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    ilmmad wrote: »
    No, I don't think it has split screen. It looks like EDF:2017 and Gears will remain the king of splits screen co-op.

There can be only one (king), and EDF2017 handily outclasses GoW.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FizicsFizics Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PC version will not be on the shelves until September 4th.

Fizics on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fizics wrote: »

So one day before the 360 version here, then? :P

Anyone know how switching between mercs work? Can you go back to base or something?

Echo on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Anyone know how switching between mercs work? Can you go back to base or something?

If it's like Mercs 1 you chose a merc at the beginning, and never again. The real-world differences are really minor anyway; it's all in personality and dialogue. (hint: pick Mattias)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah. So that video that talked about Mattias calling in custom-built vehicles wasn't some special ability just he had?

Echo on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah. So that video that talked about Mattias calling in custom-built vehicles wasn't some special ability just he had?

That would be dumb as hell if true from a gameplay standpoint--it certainly wasn't in the original, every merc could get exactly the same loadout. As far as I know every merc can get the same loadout in #2 too.

Stylistically, though? Yeah that's definitely Mattias's thing :P

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

If it's like Mercs 1 you chose a merc at the beginning, and never again. The real-world differences are really minor anyway; it's all in personality and dialogue. (hint: pick Jennifer)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

If it's like Mercs 1 you chose a merc at the beginning, and never again. The real-world differences are really minor anyway; it's all in personality and dialogue. (hint: pick Jennifer)

Aye, you want to listen to Jennifer Hale with a Brit accent for the whole game.

Search your feelings... you know it to be true!

LockeCole on