What's it about?
Oh, shits. How do I play?
Four diseases have broken out in the world and it is up to a team of specialists in various fields to find cures for these diseases before mankind is wiped out.
Players must work together, playing to their characters' strengths and planning their strategy of eradication before the diseases overwhelm the world with ever-increasing outbreaks. For example, the Operation Specialist can build research stations, which are needed to find cures for the diseases. The Scientist needs only 4 cards of a particular disease to cure it instead of the normal 5.
But the diseases are outbreaking fast and time is running out: the team must try to stem the tide of infection in diseased areas while also working towards cures.
A truly cooperative game where you all win or you all lose.
I'm going to go ahead and write them out here, but if you want to read the full rules, you can download the rulebook here
There are three phases to a turn.
Phase 1: Action phase.
You have four actions total you can take per turn.
You can take any of the basic or special actions that are available, and it costs one action to perform it.
- Drive/Ferry. You can move your pawn to a adjacent city. Cities are only adjacent if they're connected by the red lines on the board. The lines that are on the edges of the board warp around and are connected to the named city.
- Direct Flight: Play a card from your hard to move directly to that city.
- Charter Flight: Play the card corresponding to the city you're currently in to move to any other city on the board.
- Shuttle Flight: If your pawn's in a city with a Research Station, you can spend a action to move to any other city with a Research Station.
- Pass: You can decide to not take a action with one of your actions. For some reason.
, one of the special roles, can move other player's pawns as if they were their own with his actions, but has to have permission from the player to do so. If he's doing a Charter Flight, he has to play the card of the current location of the pawn he's moving, not his own.
- Build a Research Station: Play the card corresponding to the city your pawn's currently in, and set up a Research Station there from the pile. If there isn't any more Stations left, you have to move one that's in play at a different city to there. This lets you use the Shuttle Flight action, as well as being needed to Discover Cures. If you're the Operations Expert, the second special role, you don't have to discard a card to set one up, just spend a action and BAMF, you've got one.
- Discover a Cure: If you're at a Research Station, discard five cards of the same color, and you've got a cure. The Cure token gets set up on the vial-side at the bottom of the board. If you're a Scientist, the third special role, you only need four cards of the same color to discover cures.
- Treat Disease: The important one. Spend a action to remove one disease cube from the city you're currently in. The removed cubes go back into the stock. If a cure's discovered, you remove ALL the cubes of a specific color from the city with your action. If the cure for a disease has been found and ALL the cubes of a color are removed from the board, that disease is considered "eradicated", and cards drawn during the Infector phase of that color have no affect. Hooray! If you're a Medic, the fourth special role, your Treat Disease actions always remove all cubes of a specific color from a city instead of one. Also, anytime you move into a city which has cubes of a disease that have been cured, they're automatically treated without having to spend a action. (This can happen on any player's turn, so a Dispatcher moving a Medic *will* get these free treatments.)
- Share Knowledge: The only way to transfer cards between players. To Share Knowledge, you both have to be in the same city, and the card being transferred has to be for the same city as you're in. You transfer one card per action spent, and cards can go either way. If you're a Researcher, the final special role, you can give *any* card in your hand during a Share Knowledge action to another player, regardless of who's turn it is. Other players *giving* you cards are still under the normal restrictions, though.
Phase 2: Draw
During this phase, you draw two cards, and take them into your hand. If one of the cards is a Epidemic card (which are spaced through the draw deck, four total for now), shit just got worse
That happens immediately. Bad shit, huh? It's nasty since the whole "shuffling the discards and putting it on top" means that cities that have already been hit once with infections will be hit *again* soon.
We'll be playing with open hands, since there's really no way to PbP it well, and I don't think it'll affect much. With four players, you'll start with two cards each. You have a maximum hand size of seven, and if you have more after drawing, you have to discard down. You *can* immediately play Special Event cards to get your hand size down.
Special Event Cards: There's cards in the draw deck that do specific stuff. They'll usually tell you when you can use them and what they do, but it's *all* good.
Phase 3: Infector
Off the Infection deck, a number of cards equal to the Infection Rate are drawn, and each of those cities in turn get one cube of the corresponding color of the card.
Outbreaks: HOLY SHIT IMPORTANT!
If a city already has three cubes of a color and it'd get a fourth due to a draw, it doesn't, but a Outbreak happens instead. EACH CONNECTED CITY
to the one that outbreaks gets a cube of that color instead. It's possible for outbreaks to form chain-reactions, setting off other Outbreaks, but a city can only Outbreak once in each chain reaction. Every time a city Outbreaks, the Outbreak Counter moves up one space.
How You Lose:
1) If the Outbreak counter ever hits 8.
2) If you have to place a cube of a specific disease, and the stock's completely empty.
3) If the Player Draw Pile is completely empty, and you have to draw cards.
How You Win:
You collectively win the game immediately when you have cures for all four diseases. You don't have to administer the cures to the cities, victory's instant the fourth cure comes into play.
Oh, yeah, everyone starts at Atlanta, where the free Research Station is.
The board, as set up at the beginning of the game...
Players & Roles:
1) Inquisitor - Scientist - White Pawn
2) Ianator - Researcher - Brown Pawn
3) KrataLightblade - Operations Expert - Green Pawn
Ho Chi Minh City
4) Akinos - Medic - Orange Pawn
Player Discard Pile:
Special Event: One Quiet Night (you may play it anytime to make the next player skip the Infector phase entirely.)
Special Event: Government Grant: Add a Research Station to any city for free.
Special Event: Forecast: Examine the top six cards of the Infection Draw Pile, rearrange them in the order of your choice, then lace them back on the pile.
Special Event: Airlift: Move a pawn (yours or another players) to any city. You must have a player's permission to move their pawn.
I'll be playing the role of the Infector/GM for this. Your actions for the turn should be limed
. Turn limits I havn't quite figured out yet, but I'm thinking Midnight EST/24 hours. Depending on how on-the-ball people are (and if I'm around), might be able to cycle through multiple turns per day.