As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX 2008 Rock Band Tournament!

KethennKethenn Registered User staff
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
This comes late, but It. Has. Come.

Ladies and gentlemen, announcing...

The PAX 2008 Rock Band Tournament!

There are a lot of different rules sets and combinations of rules sets we could have chosen from, but we went with the most objective rules possible. So here's how it's going down:

Friday:
  • Form your own bands. If you need help finding members, you can make use of our LFG (Looking For Group) area to find other drifters.
  • Once you've formed a band, you can attempt to Qualify. At any time before 2 AM on Saturday (sort of the same day as Friday...), make your way to a Rock Band station. Qualifying means passing any song on any difficulty. Once you have a score you're happy with, nab a nearby Console Freeplay Enforcer to have your score registered (don't leave the score screen!). YOU MAY ONLY DO THIS ONCE. Only the top 32 qualifying scores will make it into the tournament.

Saturday:
  • Bands will be seeded and bracketed based on their qualifying score. Initial matches will be announced Saturday morning at 10 AM at the Console Freeplay checkout desk (Room 202). The first rounds will begin at 11 AM, and will be staggered throughout the day, since we have limited Rock Band sets.
  • A match will consist of the following:
    • The lower seeded team will have first choice of song. Both teams will play the song, at whatever difficulty they each prefer. Highest score wins.
    • The higher seeded team then gets to pick a song, same deal.
    • Ties will be broken by playing a song randomly chosen from a subset of songs by Console Freeplay staff.
  • Winners will proceed to the next round. Failure to show up to a scheduled match will result in a loss.
  • All scheduling will be announced Saturday morning. Matches will be held on Saturday until four bands are left.

Sunday:
  • The final four bands will battle it out, same style. After the final match, a victor will be declared. Glories will be handed down, laurels offered as crowns.

There will be prizes (worthwhile! but secret to you...) for the first and second place bands. Additionally, there will be a prize for the "Best of Show" band - stage presence, outfits, etc. The award will be judged by CFP staff throughout the tournament.

"Green Grass & High Tides" may not be played except in the final round, for reasons of length, time limit, and sheer, ridiculous point value. Currently, all other songs are fair game (subject to change).

There you have it. For those about to rock, we salute you.

Kethenn on

• Options
    GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes ROCK BAND!!!!!!!!!!!

Googalash on
  • Options
    DeviousPorkinsDeviousPorkins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hot stuff.

Oh wait!

No!

I'm working for you!

NOooooooooo!

DeviousPorkins on
  • Options
    WedgeWedge Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Going to be EPIC!

I wish I could say what the prize was, so awesome...

Wedge on
    Give a man fire and he has fire for a day, set a man on fire and he has fire for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    rangerdrangerd Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Oh HELLZ yes.

rangerd on
  • Options
    R4z0rR4z0r Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Epic rockband singer for hire.

EDIT: 100% on Tom Sawyer on expert after I had a threesome in a hot tub. <true story. Yes, I'm that awesome.

:)

R4z0r on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This'll be great. So going to do this.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    adio92adio92 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn my usual playing crew cant make it Friday. Well heres to hoping this happens next year.

adio92 on
    xXAdio92Xx.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    omg, i'm so stoked! now the real question is, which band needs a drummer?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Steel FedoraSteel Fedora South CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So.... is there a limit on song choice?

If not... and it's score based... won't everyone try to qualify with GG&HT?

Also, will there be DLC available to play or no? Might be good to know.

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We should get Jonathon Coulton to play Still Alive.

WOO ROCK BAND. Fun joy.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

No limit. Remember, this tournament is based purely on "Skill = Points". If you want to qualify with GG&HT, you are more than welcome to. DLC is currently up in the air, it depends on how many machines we end up with that have the DLC. Guess you'll find out on Friday :D

Kethenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was the other thing I was going to ask about.

What are we looking at for setups and instruments? Who is supplying them? Is HMX in on this or is this purely fan-run?

Should I bring my own guitar? Could I even bring my own guitar?

If I grabbed my HD that has 100% of the DLC, would that be handy for you guys?

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kethenn wrote: »

No limit. Remember, this tournament is based purely on "Skill = Points". If you want to qualify with GG&HT, you are more than welcome to. DLC is currently up in the air, it depends on how many machines we end up with that have the DLC. Guess you'll find out on Friday :D

You probably should come up with a few fair options for qualifying songs.

If over 32 bands are going to be qualifying on GG&HT, you won't have time to run the actual tournament. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was the other thing I was going to ask about.

What are we looking at for setups and instruments? Who is supplying them? Is HMX in on this or is this purely fan-run?

Should I bring my own guitar? Could I even bring my own guitar?

If I grabbed my HD that has 100% of the DLC, would that be handy for you guys?
    We're looking at hopefully 5 setups, including one on the 2nd floor stage where Jam Sessions was last year, with hardware provided from various sources. You can bring your own guitar if you like, but leave the HDD at home - DLC is tied to the serial number of the 360 you downloaded it on, so unless you brought your whole rig (which we also would prefer you not do, unless you want to set up at one of the BYOC(onsole) stations), it unfortunately wouldn't help. Thanks though!

Kethenn on
  • Options
    ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quick Clarification Request:

Will the rock band qualifying will be in Raven? Is there a start time?

ariocksayssquee on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    You probably should come up with a few fair options for qualifying songs.

If over 32 bands are going to be qualifying on GG&HT, you won't have time to run the actual tournament. :lol:
    We will take the top 32 scoring bands. If it happens that more than 32 of you max out the score on Green Grass, or for some other reason we can't objectively choose 32, ties will be broken by some highly amusing mechanism.

(Probably just another match, playing a song chosen by CFP staff.)

Kethenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quick Clarification Request:

Will the rock band qualifying will be in Raven? Is there a start time?
    You may qualify wherever there's a Rock Band station and a CFP Enforcer (you can tell they're CFP because they'll be...in CFP. With clipboards.) Please don't try to qualify before 3pm on Friday - give us a chance to get settled, then the fun'll begin :D

Kethenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    TRIPLE POST!

Sorry - I've consulted with others in the Tribunal, and we've decided that because of how long/epic GGAHT is, we're saving it until the final round. Read: YOU MAY NOT PLAY GGAHT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT TO THE FINAL ROUND.

We don't know the DLC fantastically well, and since we may end up with DLC, I'm open to suggestions for other songs that fall into the "Too Much Epic" category.

Kethenn on
  • Options
    TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and justice for all and ride the lightning are both quite long

TacoChief on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TacoChief wrote: »
    and justice for all and ride the lightning are both quite long

Yes they are. But they are DLC, so you may or may not get them. GGAHT is hella long. None of the other ones I have downloaded seem to be crazy long.

Question though. For qualifying songs there are definitely different scores possible on different songs. You say we can qualify on any song, but a song that is 30 seconds longer with a drum solo is going to rank higher than Learn to Fly or something, just due to the number of points available.

Do you suggest we go out and research the highest possible scoring song on expert and everyone play that? Or do we pick from a smaller pool for the qualifying rounds?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    YES!!!

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I prefer the guitar hero guitars to the shitty rock band one. Will I be able to use that and will I need to bring one?

TacoChief on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TacoChief wrote: »
    I prefer the guitar hero guitars to the shitty rock band one. Will I be able to use that and will I need to bring one?

Awww, why do you have to add the "shitty"?

Why can't you just say, "I prefer the pretentious GH guitar to the awesome Strat."

;)

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I second the idea of having a setlist of valid qualifiers based around having reasonably similar max scores (look at the ranking boards, or maybe there is a list for this already on the web). It would save you organizers a lot of headaches and bitching about this once things are underway. :)

edit: http://rockband.scorehero.com/top_scores.php?platform=3&size=4&team=0&group=15&diff=4

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I second the idea of having a setlist of valid qualifiers based around having reasonably similar max scores (look at the ranking boards, or maybe there is a list for this already on the web). It would save you organizers a lot of headaches and bitching about this once things are underway. :)

edit: http://rockband.scorehero.com/top_scores.php?platform=3&size=4&team=0&group=15&diff=4

I third this idea. It makes the playing field more even, since in the current plan, those who have time to research max scores will have a huge advantage over those who dont. Considering the very short time frame we all have to prepare for this, I think it would be best to eliminate any such artificial advantages if possible. A short, pre-determined song list will shift the advantage from those who happen to know more about max scores, to those who are really good at certain songs. Personally, I'd much prefer the latter.

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, if there is just open selection then I will pick a song that will unfairly put my group ahead of others just because they picked the wrong song. It will be a clusterfuck and argument, rightfully so. I say avoid the drama, look at the groups of songs and pick several songs all around a certain mark, like 1.5 million etc., among the middle tiers or something. Then let people qualify on any of those of their choice. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, if there is just open selection then I will pick a song that will unfairly put my group ahead of others just because they picked the wrong song. It will be a clusterfuck and argument, rightfully so. I say avoid the drama, look at the groups of songs and pick several songs all around a certain mark, like 1.5 million etc., among the middle tiers or something. Then let people qualify on any of those of their choice. :^:

Agreed. Drama usually stems from people exploiting loose rulesets. Or hackers, which are probably less of a problem in this setting...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I prefer the GH3 guitar while playing bass, because I'm one of those crazy upstrummy bastards, and the Strat just doesn't work for that.

I actually prefer the strat while playing guitar parts.

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, just to play Devil's Advocate....

Most people who are familiar enough with this game to get into the final 32 will obviously see the advantage that GG&HT provides for the qualifier.

I doubt more than two of us present are experts in full band scoring and overdrive pathing.

But hey, the more the merrier.

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bump since mods can't sticky right now.

Googalash on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, just to play Devil's Advocate....

Most people who are familiar enough with this game to get into the final 32 will obviously see the advantage that GG&HT provides for the qualifier.

I doubt more than two of us present are experts in full band scoring and overdrive pathing.

But hey, the more the merrier.

Those familiar enough with reading before they post might have seen this post just a few before yours from the guy running the tournament:
    Kethenn wrote: »
    YOU MAY NOT PLAY GGAHT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT TO THE FINAL ROUND.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Trainwreck:

There was discussion about how GG&HT would be unfair because it offers a much higher potential score. My argument was that anyone who was committed or knew enough about the game to make the top teams would already recognize this, so it would provide the same "unfair advantage" to all of the qualifying teams anyway.

Upon further review, the "will" in that post would have been better replaced with "would", but FYI I had already read the post you tried to "nail me" on, and agreed with it. Since it was my playing Devil's Advocate that helped address that 'sploit, I thought I would continue the conversation to address the fact that if the qualifying songs are released ahead of time, people like myself who are veterans at full band overdrive pathing and score maximization would still have an unfair advantage. You know, bringing attention to the loose rulesets that you bitched about people exploiting a few posts up on this page?

Steel Fedora on
  • Options
    KrnDoxyKrnDoxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can enforcers enter? All my rock band people are enforcers. If they can't, anyone looking for a singer? I can do anything on easy/medium, most hard, and some expert. I'm mainly looking to have fun- my stage performance is prolly my best asset (though my voice ain't bad- it just doesn't get me 100%s). I'll do my best though, if someone would like to enter the competish with me! Warning though- if I know the song lyrics, I WILL sing the original (such as "fucking" instead of "mocking" in Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home.") I refuse to clean up a song- that's bull shit. Unless that gets me disqualified. Then I can cope.

KrnDoxy on
    A lust for conquest and absolute power, and the desire to have a really big… gun.
    -Shelley, Xenosaga Episode I
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So it's safe to assume that we'll be using the basic Rock Band equipment? Anyways, I've got no team. Expert on all except singing. Better at guitar/bass than I am at drums.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bump since mods can't sticky right now.

Googalash on
This discussion has been closed.