As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm a huge Castlevania fan, and I bought the first one... but it hasn't aged as well as, say, Megaman 1. I can do without Simon's Quest, but get CV 3 out here, for God's sake. It's still fantastic.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Lords of Thunder and Ys are available, so I don't even really need a Turbo Duo anymore. I still -want- one, mind you, but I don't need it. ;-)

This is my problem right now. I'm loving the simplicity of the Wii so much vs the pain in the ass set up for each of my NES, SNES, GEN, Turbo, NEO, ect that the thought of a huge Ebay sale is really looking more intriguing everyday. I'll still hold on to the essentials for sentimental sake but did I really need 6 copies of Sonic 1?

Also, on a side note, why doesn't Nintendo have a Wii Console Release Updates? Everything I find is just TBD ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    Blueknight78cBlueknight78c Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm a huge Castlevania fan, and I bought the first one... but it hasn't aged as well as, say, Megaman 1. I can do without Simon's Quest, but get CV 3 out here, for God's sake. It's still fantastic.

My thoughts exactly!
    Although I know it won't happen, I really wish we'd get the Japanese version. IMO it's a much better (& easier) than the US version. Same goes for CV1.

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

CV1 and CV2 were released on Halloween, If I believe... Therefore I have hopes of CV3 this Halloween.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screw you guys. Simon's Quest is tops.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gamecube version is fine. I never had any of those bugs, and the game looks amazing in 480p.
    I'm sure you had the audio skips and shit; I think that stuff was non-negotiable.

The freezing was spottier, but MM is not a game that responds kindly to that sort of thing, so when it happens, it sucks hard.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it's far from perfect, too.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I fucking love CV1. I'm terrible at it, I've never gotten past the second stage of level 4, and it's frustrating, but it's bizarrely compelling nevertheless.

It helps that the soundtrack is amazing.

Elendil on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Castlevania 1 is excellent, and I played the hell out of it when I was a kid. I'm not sure how long it took me to beat it, but looking back it felt like months. It literally took me hours to figure out that Dracula's weakness was his head. At one point I thought I just had to sit there and endure his attacks until the time limit because maybe that's when sunlight will fill the room and kill him.

I wish I could go back in time and see the look of disappointment on my face after successfully whipping Dracula's fireballs until the time limit ran out and I died.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Castlevania 1 is excellent, and I played the hell out of it when I was a kid. I'm not sure how long it took me to beat it, but looking back it felt like months. It literally took me hours to figure out that Dracula's weakness was his head. At one point I thought I just had to sit there and endure his attacks until the time limit because maybe that's when sunlight will fill the room and kill him.

I wish I could go back in time and see the look of disappointment on my face after successfully whipping Dracula's fireballs until the time limit ran out and I died.

That would actually make for a really cool boss battle in some kind of game.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    shutz wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)

Castlevania i'd love to have the orginal. It never made it stateside.

Vasteel is one i really wanted, a pseudo sequel to military madness, but it had an action component similar to Archon.

Dungeon Explorer II: I think the orginal was great and had fantastic music, i'd love the super cd version.

Lords of Thunder: I just need to buy it.

But other then those, none of the CD games are: OMG GOT TO HAVE.

It really sucks that nintendo kinda screwed NEC with third parties and NEC picked some of the crappest games to import.....

On the original audio.

The TG CDs I think were Red Book audio compliant so the audio tracks would play in a standard CD player. The Working Design games had a one of there game characters give a warning about doing this as the first track - in case the player tried to playing the data.

Well there is Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Valis 2 and 3 that were pretty good on the T-16 CD

Artoria on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys 3 made it over here on Super CD, too. Vasteel was garbage though, don't bother with it if it ever does come out. On the other hand, the actual cd based sequel to Millitary Madness, Neo Nectarus, I would love to see happen. The cd version of Bonk 3 was nice, but the CD version of Air Zonk was complete garbage. Sim Earth got a decent translation over to SCD as well. OH! And the point and click style Shadowgate sequel wasn't bad either.

Aoi on
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    shutz wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

*snip*

The TG CDs I think were Red Book audio compliant so the audio tracks would play in a standard CD player. The Working Design games had a one of there game characters give a warning about doing this as the first track - in case the player tried to playing the data.

Well there is Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Valis 2 and 3 that were pretty good on the T-16 CD

CF2 is okay - painful, painful random encounters. Walk 10 secs, fight, walk 10 secs fight, repeat till end. The only thing i thought was great about it, was the ending. It was the first game i beat where the ending was not only a surprise but genuinely sad.
    At the start of the game you are thrown 20 years into the future so the big baddie can let you suffer in his world. Because, killing you would be too easy. And after spending hours if not days of game played of trying to rescue your now 20 year older GF - she dies, right after you defeat the final boss.

Valis 2 and 3....ick. Play Legendary Axe 1 or 2 - way better.

Exile was ok - a step above the genesis version due to the music and cut scenes.

Most of the TG-CD games where just chip games with CD music and the occasional poorly animated movie.

My Personal 'thumbs up' TG game list:

Air Zonk - love this shooter
    Dungeon Explorer
    R-Type
    Cotton - excellent shooter
    Ninja Spirit
    Bomber man 93 - the kids love it
    Blazing Lazers
    Star Soldier
    Aero Blasters
    Parasol Stars - love bubble bobble
    Military Madness - computer is predictable, but still fun

CD
    Y's I & II - just for nostalgia
    Gates of Thunder - not as good as i remember

fodderboy on
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Ys 3 made it over here on Super CD, too. Vasteel was garbage though, don't bother with it if it ever does come out. On the other hand, the actual cd based sequel to Millitary Madness, Neo Nectarus, I would love to see happen. The cd version of Bonk 3 was nice, but the CD version of Air Zonk was complete garbage. Sim Earth got a decent translation over to SCD as well. OH! And the point and click style Shadowgate sequel wasn't bad either.

Thanks for the Vasteel info, at the time i thought Working Designs could do no wrong and it sounded awsome.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    According to the wikipedia page, today's Europe releases are:

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (NES, 600 points)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyVWD68L7w

I had not heard of this game, but it looks like it came out on the VC here in the US back in June. Looks kind of neat.

Dig Dug (NES, 600 points)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ct9oYQfS4

SteevL on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey look, it's the same crappy New to you VC imports we got awhile ago. The first game is actually kinda fun.

But how about some more fun?

Upcoming TurboGrafx-16/Turbografx/PC Engine games in September:

US:
    -Cho Aniki (No specific date)
    -Final Soldier (No specific date)

EU/AU:
    -Chase H.Q. (Sep 5th)
    -Ys Book I & II (Sep 5th)

JP:
    -The Ninja Warriors
    -Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: PC Bangai Hen (The Kunio dodgeball game, which Japan also already has on NES)
    -Final Blaster
    -Mizubaku Adventure

The rest of the Japanese games in September are:

Famicom:
    -Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Yokohama Minato Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
    -Wagyan Land

Super Famicom:
    -Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana)
    -Space Invaders

N64:
    -Mario Golf

Mega Drive:
    -Sorcerian
    -Forgotten Worlds
    -Hokuto no Ken

Urape gets Ys next week. Oh and Mario Golf and SECRET OF MANA are coming to Japan. Three player the game is amazing, and I bet many of you have never played it that way. Now you have no excuses besides your friendless existence.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now you have no excuses besides your friendless existence.

Well, and the likelyhood that none of us will see it for at least six months.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm kind of amazed that the US is getting Cho Aniki.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

SECRET OF MANA

Hi. I am Sul and i approve of this emphasis.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Secret of Mana? Really? That is one game that might force me to clean out the fridge, but I thought Square was not doing the whole VC thing yet? Or does someone else own the rights to that series that I'm not aware of?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OH SHIT SUPER MARIO RPG

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OH SHIT SUPER MARIO RPG

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My fucking wii is sitting un plugged in a case because I took it out last night. I can't un pack it fast enough to get SMRPG bought'd

EDIT: also have to buy some points. for fuck sakes, I just want to play smrpg

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Super Mario RPG was released today? Dammit...looks like i have to spend some monies....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also Clu Clu Land was released, not that anyone particularly cares.

Not going to pick up SMRPG today (I'm still working on the awesomeness that has been XBLA these past few weeks), but it'll definitely be my next VC purchase unless something even better shows up (highly unlikely).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the VC hasn't been updated for me yet, but I've seen 3 different websites saying that SMRPG and Clu Clu land are hitting the VC today.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bought Ys last night. It's pretty fun.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh shit oh shit oh shit!! Mario RPG? Today? HERE? GAH I HAVE TO WORK TODAY! AND ITS LABOR DAY!!

*cries*

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Clu Clu Land?

Fuck. Yes.

Elendil on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    OH SHIT SUPER MARIO RPG

Can this go any larger?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

My Wii is sitting in a box with a bunch of my stuff. I'm moving back to college today

WHAT CRUEL TWISTED FATE IS THIS!?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait.. where is Mario RPG? I don't see it ANYWHERE on my store. I'm in the US. Is it just not trickled down yet? Or is this not in the US? Because if it's not in the US I will cry tears of anger.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It'll be up soon, games go up at 12, they're probably just late with it.

At least you get to play it right now, the earilest I'll probably get to play it will be around 6 or 7 tonight.

DAMN YOU COLLEGE MOVE-IN DAY!!!!

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dammit! 12? I just turned my Wii off! LOL

Well, I'll keep looking. God I can't wait to play it once again. This time I'll be forced to play right. No freeze states on the emulator. Plus I don't have to keep my SNES hooked up.

Now, Nintendo, how about we get some Earthbound over here?

Oh, also, 12 Eastern or Pacific?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yep, there it is. 800 Points
    and apparently it's the 250th Virtual Console release in America.

I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY!
    DAMN YOU!
    ALL OF YOU

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    At the risk of sounding like a smug idiot (even though we all know that's just who and what I am :P ), I told you it was coming sooner rather than later.

Now I have to resist buying it. I haven't beaten Ys or Sonic SMS, and I still have 11 portable games to beat in my backlog.

And Spore comes out soon, too... fuuuuuuck. D:

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The store is going verrrrrrrrry slow. Gee.. I wonder why that could be?

Can you all stop downloading the game for a few minutes while I add some points to my account and buy this thing?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm trying to update now, and it is taking ages. This is insane.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was able to connect to the store and SMRPG is indeed out on the service.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ugh! Error! Have to try again!

God... it's not like this game is popular or something! No one has ever heard of it! Right?

Right?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can play my favorite game of all time all over again!?

Bought'd so hard the sound barrier broke.

See all of you saps tomorrow, I'm off to have a SMRPG marathon.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg