As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop Games Thread

1235»

• PreviterrorPreviterror Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I've been trying to find some people to play this game with and haven't had any luck. I was wondering if there are any experienced players willing to show me the ropes while we're up at PAX? I've played V:TM once or twice, and am a veteran D&D player and DM, I just have never seen Exalted put into real play, and need some guidance and help.

Previterror on
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Godmeat wrote: »
    Thing2 wrote: »
    Also - hahahaha - 50 pages is getting off LIGHT?!?!? K - whichever game that is...I don't wanna play ;)

Learning with friends is always quicker, but like D&D? Two core rule books, 300+ pages each. White Wolf? 250+ page core book, plus another 300+ for whatever setting you want to play.

Obviously you don't need to memorize every page to learn to play, but most games are horribly complex beasts.
    D&D 4th Edition is pretty simple to get the hang of. First, to play you only need the Player's Handbook, period. There are no longer things that would concern the players in the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual contains monsters, period. The new edition also simplifies things for new players a lot. If you haven't played in a long time, or are interested in trying out D&D, this is the best time ever to roll some dice. There will be a lot of officially-sanctioned D&D games being run at PAX, and many of the game's designers will be at the convention. You don't even need to create a character ahead of time - they have pre-made characters, or you can make one there with a more experienced person guiding you through the process.

Really, don't be intimidated by D&D. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Canticle on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    Anybody else interested in continuing the tabletop fun after the expo proper closes on Sunday? If this gets some momentum we could make it more organized.

Sounds good to me. I'd love to have a time where I can devote a few hours to table top stuff where I won't have to worry about missing any panels or concerts or anything, and this sounds perfect for it. I'm going to hit the Button Exchange right after the con closes, but that shouldn't take long, and as of now I've got nothing else for that evening.

We would, of course, have to bring a bunch of games, ne? I can bring settlers, and a hand full of card games (munchkin, fluxx, etc).

SlickShughes on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anybody else interested in continuing the tabletop fun after the expo proper closes on Sunday? If this gets some momentum we could make it more organized.

Sounds good to me. I'd love to have a time where I can devote a few hours to table top stuff where I won't have to worry about missing any panels or concerts or anything, and this sounds perfect for it. I'm going to hit the Button Exchange right after the con closes, but that shouldn't take long, and as of now I've got nothing else for that evening.

We would, of course, have to bring a bunch of games, ne? I can bring settlers, and a hand full of card games (munchkin, fluxx, etc).

I'm going to have my Mordheim stuff, plus the Mechaton rules (but no legobots for me), BANG!, WoW TCG, and anything I pick up at PAX.

This is sounding more and more like a great idea.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a fair amount of V:TM/WW books I could bring along, like Laws of the Night and Changeling: The Lost. Would it serve any purpose?

I'm convinced I have to bring Animayhem just to see if anyone recognizes it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2008

I'm going to have my Mordheim stuff, plus the Mechaton rules (but no legobots for me), BANG!, WoW TCG, and anything I pick up at PAX.

This is sounding more and more like a great idea.

I'm in the same boat (or bot?) as you for Mechaton, rules but no legos. It's been along time since I've played me some Mordheim, but it's the only wargame I've ever played that I was consistently good at - my undead warband was undefeated. I'd like to think the rules will come back to me pretty quick, so I'd be down for that. My Bang! experience consists of a few games with a group larger than the rules recommend - I think we had 10 people - but I had a blast with it so I'd definitely be in for that as well?

Any idea where we could set this shin dig up?

SlickShughes on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My initial, unexperienced guess would be a hotel lobby or something. Anywhere with a bunch of tables and comfy chairs that's open late and wouldn't mind our presence.

I've never gone to PAX, so I'm probably worthless for planning. But it sounds like a really good idea. I want to just chill out with some cool people and some cool games, especially after the hectic expo. Just want to kick back and roll some dice, maybe have a drink.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trying to write down the things I'm interested in into my ipod. Is the Iron Kingdoms thing happening? Any idea when you might be doing it?

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My initial, unexperienced guess would be a hotel lobby or something. Anywhere with a bunch of tables and comfy chairs that's open late and wouldn't mind our presence.

I've never gone to PAX, so I'm probably worthless for planning. But it sounds like a really good idea. I want to just chill out with some cool people and some cool games, especially after the hectic expo. Just want to kick back and roll some dice, maybe have a drink.

the Tabletop rooms are open until 3AM, so there are plenty of spaces to play at, you don't need to take over a hotel lobby for late night gaming. Now after 3AM you are on your own, but I recommend sleeping so that you can do more PAX the next day :)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
    edited August 2008
    PucSpifo wrote: »

the Tabletop rooms are open until 3AM, so there are plenty of spaces to play at, you don't need to take over a hotel lobby for late night gaming. Now after 3AM you are on your own, but I recommend sleeping so that you can do more PAX the next day :)

We're talking about sunday, after you kick our board game playing asses out.

SlickShughes on
  • PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, well Sunday is a different story all together. Sorry. I'll go back to work now. :)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • ChimericPhaseChimericPhase Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Two here interested in playing in a 4th edition game!

ChimericPhase on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to be showing up at the convention center probably 8-9AM on Friday, and my friend from out of town will be with me too... We're thinking of running a D&D or an NWoD game while we wait. Any takers?

MeeOk on
  • holyelvisholyelvis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    2-4 folks here who might be up for a 4E D&D session somewhere, sometime. We've been playing Keep on the Shadowfell and just started the actual dungeon crawl...we might be able to add a few people to that adventure (we've been running with just 3 PCs, so it might be good to add someone).

Although, at the same time I've been GM'ing, and haven't actually played any 4E yet, so that's tempting as well. Would be up for something home-brewed or just running through Keep or something as a PC.

holyelvis on
  • geoffhomgeoffhom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I have a fair amount of V:TM/WW books I could bring along, like Laws of the Night and Changeling: The Lost. Would it serve any purpose?

I would recognize AniMayhem. I used to help one of the head demoers for the game. We even wrote a huge FAQ for all the confusing situations that could come up. I always thought the cards were very pretty, and the basic idea was good, but the details just didn't cut it.

From what I remember, players compete against the "board" rather than each other directly. You lay out some locations, then you hide a couple enemies under each one, and an item. Then you have your party of anime characters travel around the board, defeating enemies and collecting items. Whoever collects X items first wins.

I wonder if someone could take the same cards and make a better game out of them?

I think I also gave away all my cards when I moved. :-)

geoffhom on
  • kaoticrequiemkaoticrequiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Holy crap! I would totally play a Changeling game, or pretty much any nWoD...

Except Hunter. *mysterious music*

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • SunshineGrrrlSunshineGrrrl Seattle - EastsideRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be going to the breakfast thing at 9, assuming I can crawl out of bed after tonights drinking, so we may not be back in line until 10 or 10:30. But I'd love to get in a game of D&D or even some nWoD, though I'd need a little help with the latter. I only know exalted in white-wolf's system, but it should be enough to keep me going. Not a big vampire fan, but anything else, I'd love to pass the time with.

SunshineGrrrl on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I'm thinking of going out and buying settlers of catan today, and then posting specific times that I (and my friend / both of my friends) would like to play it (you know get some sort of a rough schedule worked out.)

Is anyone still interested in scheduling a game of catan (as opposed to blowing a whole day on the tournament, or just hoping to find a game to jump into.)

Also for people who are experienced with the actual board game (as opposed to the xbla version) do game sessions with more than 4 people take appreciably longer to complete? I'd probably buy the 5-6 player expansion just to have it, but if a 6 player game takes 100 hours it's probably NOT A GOOD IDEA.

faits on
    faits.png
  • xstrykerxstryker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    xstryker wrote: »
    OSS (GURPS)

The OSS - Office of Strategic Services - was the precursor to the CIA during World War 2. History says it was disbanded by President Truman in 1945 - but as Fox Mulder might say, "The truth is out there." In this game, set in the late 1940's, the OSS has gone underground to handle strange threats that Truman himself won't admit to knowing about.

What's flying over Roswell? What - or when - is hidden in a research facility under Montauk, Long Island? What strange magic is being brewed by the disciples of Aleister Crowley in Pasadena? How deeply have Soviet telepaths penetrated our most vital intelligence assets? What menace stalks the streets of San Francisco, draining victims of their memories? Do ancient gods walk the Dreamlands? And why do the British want to blow the lone island of Heligoland off the face of the Earth?

OSS is equal parts Sci-Fi and Film Noir, with heavy grounding in actual history. You don't need to be a history buff to appreciate it, but my game is well researched with a "truth is stranger than fiction" theme.

The system of the game is GURPS - you don't need to be familiar with it, because most of the game sums down to "Roll 3d6". Very easy to learn! If you are familiar with it, show some love! GURPS stands for Generic Universal Role Playing System - it can be adapted to cover any kind of genre or genre-crossover. Character creation is points-based - whatever you want to add to the character, you can buy with points. Because my OSS game has a flair for the cinematic, characters will be 200 points, with extra points added on to cover your membership in the OSS (or a related organization).

Not to brag, but pretty much everyone I've run this game for has really enjoyed it. I adapt the game to suit the characters and players I am running for - no "Railroading". Expect a mix of investigation and combat, matched proportionally to the tastes of my players. But please, no Rules-Lawyering! Come to have fun!

My email address is xstryker3@aol.com - I'll figure out the schedule when the PAX schedule is announced. Let me know if you are interested - good time guaranteed, newbies welcome!

I plan to run this game on Saturday from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Arrive on time if you want to make a character, or by 4:00 if you want to use a pre-generated one. Dice will be provided if you need them. No prior experience necessary!

I don't know what the layout of the tabletop area is yet, so I don't know where the free play area will be, but that's probably where I'll be.

A good time is promised - come take on the darkest secrets of the post WW2 world. Join the OSS!

xstryker on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    zomg I've been dying to play in a Changeling: the lost game, so if somebody is going to be running that, I'd want to play! *bounces up and down*

MeeOk on
  • frecklefreckle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am thinking of bringing Betrayal at House on the Hill, because I played it last year and it was fun. Does that sound fun to anyone? It would be sad to lug it there for no reason.

I'll probably bring Bonanza too because that's easy to throw in a bag and easy to learn.

freckle on
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I picked up Catan and I'll have it in my truck (in the parking garage.) Don't have a specific time yet, hopefully we can still get something going though.

faits on
    faits.png
  • chadmchadm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    freckle wrote: »
    I am thinking of bringing Betrayal at House on the Hill, because I played it last year and it was fun. Does that sound fun to anyone? It would be sad to lug it there for no reason.

I'll probably bring Bonanza too because that's easy to throw in a bag and easy to learn.

Judging from last year you will have no problem finding people to play Betrayal.

chadm on
This discussion has been closed.