As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPhone games at the exhibition?

DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
I was searching, and I only found one iPhone game in there, Chimps Ahoy at the Foundation 9 booth. Yet I saw tons of people with iPhones, many playing games or browsing the web while waiting in lines and stuff. What's up with that? Did anyone see any iPhone games I missed on display? It's now my favorite handheld, but seems to be being totally ignored and shuffed off as just a cell phone (yet other cell phone games were shown off...)

Dreamwriter on

• Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i don't really consider iphone to be all that special gamewise. it's a great phone and the accelerometer makes for interesting gameplay, but it's still something i'd only play games on while waiting in line or something.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    balls187balls187 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    iPhone does sport a Power VR chipset (similar I believe to the DC).

Mobile gaming is going to be the big jump for gaming. Think about the install base of a mobile phone, and correlate that with the success of casual games like Peggle and Bejeweled.

I think it's very short sighted to dismiss the iphone, let alone mobile handsets as a gaming platform.

Prease to be making Penny Arcade game for the iphone.

balls187 on
  • Options
    Waddle Dee ArmyWaddle Dee Army Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I doubt Mobile Games will ever be more than an oddity. Nintendo owns the handheld market and unless Nintendo makes a cell phone, handhelds are going continue to own mobile gaming.

Waddle Dee Army on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Think of it like this: there are 12 million iPhones as of now, and who knows how many more iPod Touches. The device is about as powerful as a PSP, and unlike other cell phones, all of them have the exact same stats - same screen size, resolution, controls, CPU power, GPU power. Analysts are projecting up to 40 million iPhones sold by the end of the year worlwide. That's in PSP range and approaching DS in terms of numbers. So why should the iPhone be totally ignored?

I think it's saying something that the iPhone App Store has only been available for 3 months, yet there are 675 games for it already, including games by big-name developers like Sega and EA. And while yes there's a lot of shovelware out there (most of it free or $.99), there are some high quality games as well.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Waddle Dee ArmyWaddle Dee Army Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Think of it like this: there are 12 million iPhones as of now, and who knows how many more iPod Touches. The device is about as powerful as a PSP, and unlike other cell phones, all of them have the exact same stats - same screen size, resolution, controls, CPU power, GPU power. Analysts are projecting up to 40 million iPhones sold by the end of the year worlwide. That's in PSP range and approaching DS in terms of numbers. So why should the iPhone be totally ignored?

I think it's saying something that the iPhone App Store has only been available for 3 months, yet there are 675 games for it already, including games by big-name developers like Sega and EA. And while yes there's a lot of shovelware out there (most of it free or $.99), there are some high quality games as well.

Until I see something major happen, Nintendo still owns the handheld market. iPhones are great phones, but lousy gaming devices. I might be wrong 5 years from now, but the DS is the current handheld leader by far.

Waddle Dee Army on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Something major did happen. Nintendo no longer "owns" the handheld market, PSP is in there in a BIG way: 1 PSP for every two DS's, and growing. It's been a while since Nintendo was the only game in town for handhelds. Note, those PSP numbers, that's more than any current game console. And they are getting quite a lot of big-name exclusives that the DS isn't.

And I don't see how you can say the iPhone is a "lousy gaming system". The system is an awesome gaming system even after only three months - I have 6 high quality games on it I play a lot, one with full online multiplayer. And I'm not alone, IGN has given five iPhone games 8 and higher, twelve iPhone games reviews 7.5 and higher (7.5 is considered good, 8.0 is considered impressive).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    stochasticstochastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did you try asking at the EA booth? Spore for iPhone comes out fairly soon iirc. I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow, but there are so many great panels that I want to hit.

stochastic on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I doubt Mobile Games will ever be more than an oddity. Nintendo owns the handheld market and unless Nintendo makes a cell phone, handhelds are going continue to own mobile gaming.

I don't think household computers could really be viable for the majority of the population...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
This discussion has been closed.