As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What tea will help me sleep?

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
That's the basic question. I've been drinking a lot of teas lately, and if I can find one that would help me relax and help put me to sleep, that's fine with me. I've tried a few of the random grocery store teas that are supposed to make you drowsy, but they're rather...weak. I'm looking for something that will seriously help put me out.

UnknownSaint on

• DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Most chamomile teas will. My personal favorite for this purpose is the Sweet Dreams tea from Bigelow. It's mix of chamomile and hibiscus flower. Quite soothing.

Dalboz on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I find green tea relaxes me, and as a result i sleep better.

winter_combat_knight on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Green tea shouldn't help as it's a stimulant. Not as much caffeine as coffee, but it has other stimulants in it as well. But really, anything warm is probably going to help you relax. Camomile is popular and warm milk is a good one too. It's not tea, but it will help you to relax. It contains tryptophan and melatonin which are both associated with drowsiness although there's some debate over whether the amounts in milk are high enough to be a contributing factor. Apart from anything else, a good bedtime routine is the most effective way to relax for sleep, and preparing a warm drink and spending the time to enjoy it is probably what is being most helpful.

You aren't going to find a tea that will function as a rapid acting sedative unless it's been tampered with, I think.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like peppermint tea. Helps with digestion too.
    Or jasmine.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never tried it in tea form, but Valerian root is a pretty good as a sleeping aid. You can probably find a tea version of it.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    alot of teas are in some way stimulents.

have somthing milky

hot chocklate or horlicks

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • plantersplanters Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cannabis tea

planters on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Probably the best herbal tea I ever used to help me try and sleep was a mixture of lemon verbena, hyssop, chamomile, and Valerian root. You can google all those herbs, they're basically all used for their calming or sleep-inducing effect (though I believe the lemon verbena is more for taste, but still has some mild properties). As long as the mixture was made properly, it actually tasted pretty good (though a shot of honey helped), and I found it worked spectacularly at calming me down, shutting down my mind, and getting me sleepy. It didn't work like sleeping pills; it doesn't just knock you out cold, but I find that makes it a lot easier to wake up in the morning.

Alternatively, you can find Valerian Root pills, which work rather well but be forewarned, they basically taste like ingesting warm sweaty gym socks.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Midshipman wrote: »
    I've never tried it in tea form, but Valerian root is a pretty good as a sleeping aid. You can probably find a tea version of it.
    sleepytime-extra-med.jpg
    What you want is Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra
    This is a great tea for to drink while relaxing, just before going to bed...
    Tastes great, and since it warns you not to operate heavy machinery after drinking it, i'd say it works...

If you can't find celestial seasonings teas nearby, just health/ nature store, or even a regular supermarket, and just take your time to check out their tea assortment... Look for teas with chamomile, peppermint or valerian...

Altough this tea is, as far as tea is concerned, pretty strong stuff, no tea i've ever come across will just put you out immeadiately.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    planters wrote: »
    Cannabis tea

Terrible, illegal and immoral advice.

Gin tea.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    alot of teas are in some way stimulents.

have somthing milky

hot chocklate or horlicks

If you are actually using TEA, that is true. It's a stimulant. Same thing with hot chocolate, though. If it's herbal tea (which isn't really tea, so to speak, since it doesn't contain any cuttings from a tea plant), not so much. But Szechuanosaurus is right. Most warm drinks will be relaxing anyway.

Dalboz on
  • plantersplanters Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Cannabis tea

Gin tea.

Illegal yes, terrible no.

"Immoral" depending on how you look at it.

planters on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Cannabis tea

Gin tea.

Mn, illegal yes, but not immoral in the 'omg drugs!' sense. Cannabis tea doesn't contain enough THC to get a mouse stoned, let alone a human (0.0015 percent).

My personal preference is warm milk with a shot of amaretto liqueur or hot apple cider with a shot of cinnamon schnapps. If you're not of legal age to drink and your parents have issues with you using alcohol for medicinal purposes, or if you don't drink, then stick with chamomile, hyssop, and valerian root. Less likely to get you arrested.

Passerbye on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I'll try Chamomile and that Celestial Seasonings stuff. The cannabis tea is an awful idea. Thanks for all the responses, everyone! Feel free to throw out more suggestions.

UnknownSaint on