As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spore Thread: A Massive Singleplayer Online Banning Experience

TenTen Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Social Entropy++
WelcometoSpore.png

It's nearly here! And to make up for PAX being all the way across the world, Australia gets it 3 days before the US! (nearly 4 since we're like 18 hours ahead of you guys)

Not to be a bastard about it but we're used to getting screwed over here so it's nice to have something for a change.

ANYWAY

It is going to be pretty damn cool! Five different gameplay styles, including a sandbox space mode which will keep us going for a long time, kick ass procedural animations, and passively multiplayer creature sharing, which means over that hill is probably a frickin' stampede of dick monsters.

You all know the creature creator was released months ago, and SE++ came up with some pretty damn awesome creatures, so as soon as the game comes out I will be creating a Sporecast for SE++. What's a Sporecast? It's like an RSS feed for Spore creatures, and like an RSS feed you can subscribe to it and have your worlds seeded by whatever is shared!

So among others, you can look forward to running into these guys:
Gitsum.pngAuto%20Horatio.pngPBJ.pngGustav.png500001132404.pngBelbee.pngClawcrow.pngFreeloader.pngAnkylodork.pngZebrusErectus.pngLamprich.pngDoomLeech.pngscaregaea8.pngPinkViper.pngStale.pngCompensator.png2quowuc.pngOctospid.pngDomesticCattle.png

And the awesome thing is that you can drag those pictures in that spoiler into the game or the Creature Creator, and you've got the creature! The beauty of procedural creature generation at work, folks.

TALK ABOUT SPORE!

Update: I've created the SE++ Sporecast, it's called Social Entropy Plus Plus, if you search in game or on Sporepedia you can see all our creations! Click here to see it in the Sporepedia

If you'd like to be part of the SE++ sporecast, post your Spore username in this thread and I'll add you as a buddy and will endeavour to add all your creations to the Sporecast (at this point I don't think I can do that automatically)

Everybody's latest items don't seem to be showing up in the search yet, so I'm going to list everybody who I've added to the Sporecast; if you add them as a buddy, you should get their latest stuff as well.

SE++ Sporecasters:
(Spore Name - Forum Name)
ANTVGM64
Arsenic7 - As7
Belruel
Bibble
Biske
Blankspace
bsjezz
BYToady
Comahawk
dougskullery - Bob The Monkey
DrIanMalcolm
eryu90
Feriluce
Hunter1253 - Hunter
IHNIWTR
jeffstormer - Dex Dynamo
Jimmer - Jimothy
Kazhiim
Knobbonk - Knob
Koshian
KovakStardust - Kovak
LightRider
Lokiamis
Monsterror
Moriveth
mvrck
Mysst
NevilleSE - Neville
nogreatname - No Great Name
NotASenator - NotACrook
PADuck - Pb
PotUnicorn - PotU
PrimusD - DarkPrimus
Projeck
PudinTaim - Utsanomiki
QuestionMarkMan
Raneados
rankenphile
RCagent
Repox
Scudo
Silmaril
SirToasty
spconway - Black Hunter
Stonezor
Strangeluv
synthorange - Synthetic Orange
Tankhammer - Kantankeris
Tekliton - CorpseRT
Ten0101 - Ten
thegeebs - The Geebs That Is A Mod
Theidar
ThreadbareSock
Tonlogna - Walrus Pete
tweakedbat - Tweaked_Bat_
vivixenne
Volyu - Volucrisus Aedrius

Ten on

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    who made this game

sid meier right
    or american mcgee?

YaYa on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I predict this game will be awesomely fun the first few hours

then it'll go downhill from there

I hope I'm so wrong though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it's the guys who did the animated movie.

Billy Crystal and John Goodman

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

PC Powerplay, an Aussie games mag, had the first review I believe, and they kind of agreed with what you just said (though I think it'd be longer than a few hours)

They said it was fun as you get to each new stage and gametype, but there wasn't a whole lot of depth to each one (although the space stage looks like you'll have a lot to do)

They said creative types will have a lot more fun with it, playing with all the editors and stuff.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Spore looks pretty groovy doggies

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sorta confused, I would say I'm a creative type; I like modeling and texturing. Yet this game has at no point held any interest for me.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You obviously have no soul then

Ten on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sicarii wrote: »
    Sorta confused, I would say I'm a creative type; I like modeling and texturing. Yet this game has at no point held any interest for me.

Maybe because it allows joe schmoes like me to make cool looking creatures and space ships without having to buy 700 dollar software suites and spend month learning how to make a fucking beachball.

Damn elitist.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ten wrote: »
    You obviously have no soul then
    People do say that.
    Maybe because it allows joe schmoes like me to make cool looking creatures and space ships without having to buy 700 dollar software suites and spend month learning how to make a fucking beachball.

http://www.wings3d.com/
    http://www.gimp.org/

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Its mostly because you suck at life Sicarii.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Damn elitist.

nav-home.png

Can't do much about the time it takes to learn that stuff though

But you're right, Spore is a good in between tool for creating cool stuff

Ten on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Umnmm...

Will Wright has a long neck.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    waddya think he keeps in that neck

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    waddya think he keeps in that neck
    Nazi gold?

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh gosh my Mega-cow is in the OP

I am so proud

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh fuck yes I am so pumped for this game.

And holy shit we get it 3 days before the US? ahahah.

So when is the official release date anyway?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    this game looks boring

ascot on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ascot wrote: »
    this game looks boring

Your mum looks boring.

But I actually enjoyed pounding her.

So maybe you should give Spore a try.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was just keeiding sheesh
    will wright 4 king

ascot on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haha chill dude, as was I.

You know I love you(r shoes)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Love this title, it's great.

Also I won't be getting Spore until my birthday in October.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Will Wright is the new Tyler Perry

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Sep 4 in AU, Sep 5 in Europe, Sep 7 in US

Ten on
  • Options
    lunarwulflunarwulf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Damn elitist.

LOL, Jarofmoldymayo.

I've been excited about this game for a long time. Really hate the idea of a game as unique as this getting released to anyone ahead of the U.S. Anytime a game like this comes along, why can't we just get one single release date?

lunarwulf on
    It's been made abundantly clear that Ten O'Clock is time for Rainbow Six. It is not time for other games! You might think that it is, but it isn't. Don't show up at 10:05! That's not when it is. It is earlier.
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess I will buy this

I've never been super interested in it but it does look cool

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    4 days.....

From 4 years to 4 days...holy shit...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    or american mcgee?

holy shit whatever happened to him

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    He decided to make shitty games

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I won't be able to play this game until near the end of the month

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh dayum, that's 2 days from now.

I know what I'm going to be doing come Thursday!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    lunarwulf wrote: »

Damn elitist.

LOL, Jarofmoldymayo.

I've been excited about this game for a long time. Really hate the idea of a game as unique as this getting released to anyone ahead of the U.S. Anytime a game like this comes along, why can't we just get one single release date?

Clearly Will Wright hates America. Duh.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey! Some of those in the OP are mine! :D

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Oh dayum, that's 2 days from now.

I know what I'm going to be doing come Thursday!

I took an RDO on Thursday just so I could go get Spore in the morning and play all day :)
    Blankspace wrote:
    Hey! Some of those in the OP are mine! :D

Yep, they are all SE++ creatures, I went through the first 20 or so pages of the Creature Creator thread and grabbed the ones I liked. You made some cool stuff in that thread Blank, I'm looking forward to running into your creations in the real game :)

Ten on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CaveDweller.pngSpotted-FeetDumbird.pngCletus.png

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    500010437855.png

this guy rules

Projeck on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

I have a strong suspicion that you are correct. Wright's work tends to be distinctly this way, with Sim City being a really strong example.

Defender on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not going to presume to guess how other people will enjoy the game, but I still have my suspicions that this game won't hold my interest for long. Looks like a great concept, but even with all the work and variety they put into the creature creator it seems to me that most of the customization is cosmetic

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have the terrible problem of never being able to tell the difference between will wright and sid meiers

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have the terrible problem of never being able to tell the difference between will wright and sid meiers

Yeah I get that too.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm not going to presume to guess how other people will enjoy the game, but I still have my suspicions that this game won't hold my interest for long. Looks like a great concept, but even with all the work and variety they put into the creature creator it seems to me that most of the customization is cosmetic

Yeah, and there's a way to approach this from a gameplay perspective, too. Look at these options:

1) The physical makeup of your creature doesn't matter. The look of your creature and its combat stats or metabolic rate or resistance to extreme temperatures are not related at all.

2) The physical makeup of your creature matters, but the layout does not. So like, more claws = more damage in combat, but it doesn't matter where you put the claws.

3) The creature's abilities are pretty much synthesized purely from the makeup and layout of its bodily form.

In case 1, making your creature is essentially unrelated to the actual game. Just slap on whatever parts you want because it doesn't change a goddamn thing. This option sucks because the player has zero gameplay incentive to put effort into the creature. Yeah, you get to look at it, but that's all, and you might as well just use the creator program if you want that instead of having to play the game. This method completely divorces creature creation from gameplay.

Case 2 is just an extension of case 1. You are encouraged to stack the creature with body parts that provide it the right balance of, like, metabolism versus combat ability, or something. You know, you can make it big and beefy, but then it needs to eat more food and thus hunt bigger game, or you can make it smaller and thus it can survive off of stuff that's easier to hunt. It's an interesting case, although players will quickly stop arranging body parts...just as soon as they realize that it doesn't do anything for them. There's little more annoying than spending 15 minutes adjusting some minor detail and then realizing that it makes no difference. Shitty game designers solve this problem by hiding the stats so players don't know they're wasting time, but that's just a delay of the eventual realization that those actions do not matter. Remember those spells in FF1 that didn't actually do anything? Eventually we all noticed that they didn't seem to help and we stopped casting them and were generally annoyed that they were permanently wasting a slot in someone's spell book.

Case 3 is the most interesting in terms of gameplay, but it means that you are going to be somewhat restricted in what you do. You're going to have to make a creature that would actually make sense. I personally think that this is far and away the best idea; the game simulates evolution, thus the player is rewarded for building something functional. However, this does mean that some of the far-out crazy shit you see coming from the creator will not be usable in the game; it'll be horribly unbalanced since it was built for form instead of function. I doubt that Wright will go full-bore on this path, because this is distinctly core-gamer territory, where the player is actively encouraged to minmax his creature's layout and stats.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.