As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A quick question about selective service(USA)

mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well I just got a letter from the selective service. It contained information such as a selective service number, my SSN, sex, birth, and "last action date" (which is 29 days before my birthday). It also gives me a "Registration Acknowledgment Card" which contains this information as well.

Now I don't remember "registering" but it seems that everything is done automatic. Is there anything else I have to do?

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
mrcheesypants on

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Likewise, I'm 17 going on 18 this year, and I have to apply for selective services. Is this automatic, or do I have to do it myself?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I think you're cool. You do have to notify them whenever you move until you turn 26... or 28... I forget. It's as simple as filling out a change of address at the post office's website.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    I think you're cool. You do have to notify them whenever you move until you turn 26... or 28... I forget. It's as simple as filling out a change of address at the post office's website.

Really? Oops...

CyberJackal on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I had to call into an automated system and enter my SSN when I turned 18. That was quite a while back, though.

Doc on
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:

Really? Oops...

from www.sss.gov :
    If you're a young man, age 18 through 25, the law requires you to notify the Selective Service System of an address change within 10 days.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • ZernheltZernhelt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I remember actually applying. But that was about two years ago, so they might have updated the system.

Zernhelt on
    I <3 boobies
    Wii: 5369-9438-3600-4256
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

Really? Oops...

from www.sss.gov :
    If you're a young man, age 18 through 25, the law requires you to notify the Selective Service System of an address change within 10 days.

Well I just checked my registration on that website so it looks like I really am registered. Thanks for the info guys.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you did your FAFSA for college, there is a check box on there to register you for selective service. That may be where it came from.

clsCorwin on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Notify them if you move? Yikes. I've moved like 4-5 times since I turned 18.

Oh well, my ass is 25 now. Suckers.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:

Really? Oops...

from www.sss.gov :

Hmm, maybe I did notify them. Past that age now regardless.

CyberJackal on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As long as you're registered, no one really cares about the address thing. Police aren't going to knock down your door because you forgot to file a change of address with the Selective Service.

If a draft ever came up, you'd better double-check, and make sure your address is right, but as long as you're registered, the address thing isn't really that big of a deal.

Thanatos on
  • For the FutureFor the Future ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it legal to discuss draft dodging on these forums.

For the Future on
    edited January 2007
    Notify them if you move? Yikes. I've moved like 4-5 times since I turned 18.

Oh well, my ass is 25 now. Suckers.

you're supposed to notify them if you're 25.

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007

why bother? there are rules in place for folks who are conscientious objectors.

Slungsolow on
  • For the FutureFor the Future ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:

It is very easy to be denied a conscientious objection.

For the Future on
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:

if causing someone else to get drafted in your place is cool on your conscience, feel free to do it.

Also, you have no clue what the procedures for denying a conscientious objector are since they changed after the vietnam war.

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    There is no draft, so why would you need to dodge it?

Thanatos on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    As long as you're registered, no one really cares about the address thing. Police aren't going to knock down your door because you forgot to file a change of address with the Selective Service.

If a draft ever came up, you'd better double-check, and make sure your address is right, but as long as you're registered, the address thing isn't really that big of a deal.
    I'm in the Navy, should I worry about filing a change of address whenever I change duty stations, and is the draft a concern for me?

Sorry, I had to.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:

I'm in the Navy, should I worry about filing a change of address whenever I change duty stations, and is the draft a concern for me?

Sorry, I had to.
    Amusingly enough, it can be. Paperwork gets lost, wires get crossed, and people get in trouble for not showing up for the draft while enlisted. :P

Thanatos on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You are not required to sign up for selective service if you are active duty (say you joined exactly at 18, you don't need to. But, as soon as you leave active duty, you need to sign up.

clsCorwin on
    edited January 2007
    Thanatos wrote:

No, the police aren't going to hunt you down, but it can screw with some student loans or grants if the address on file doesn't match the one you provided to the SS.

you're also saying that it's okay to break the law.

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

No, the police aren't going to hunt you down, but it can screw with some student loans or grants if the address on file doesn't match the one you provided to the SS.

you're also saying that it's okay to break the law.
    I'm not saying that it's okay, just that no one really gives a shit at this point.

Thanatos on