As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Real railgun successfully tested

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ham hammer wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

do you really want to know

EDIT: too late

you edited before I could say it

ZeroFill on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kong wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

Pikachu use squirt

Who comes up with this stuff?
    Zombies?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • ham hammerham hammer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

Pikachu use squirt

i forget, what did you GIS to get all that?

ham hammer on
    opprod84178lx5.jpg
    pokemon pearl friend code- 4897-2782-3202
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, this isn't really news at all, the Navy has been looking at railguns for some time.

The big problem with rail guns is that they degrade extremely rapidly, the big ones usually dont last more than one shot. This is because when the rail gun shoots, the force that is exerted on the projectile also is trying to push the rails apart, possibly warping them. And a chunk of metal flying down these rails at several km per second erodes them and ruins them.

So until I hear a solution to this problem, I dont think this is news at all.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Beating off my auntie.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

I suppose at the very least it's supposed to be cheaper. For some reason I can't help but doubt it, though.

The Navy would probably just get more careless. "Oh, we've got more ammo to spare!"

BEW BEW BEW

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ham hammer wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

Pikachu use squirt

i forget, what did you GIS to get all that?

ash ketchum

and then to like a bunch of hentai sites

which totally missed out on the obvious joke of changing ash's name to ash ketchcum

Kovak on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

well that'd fall under the peace category

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

Shoe I love you for this post.

Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

Vivixenne on
    edited January 2007
    [quote=[Tycho?]]Well, this isn't really news at all, the Navy has been looking at railguns for some time.

The big problem with rail guns is that they degrade extremely rapidly, the big ones usually dont last more than one shot. This is because when the rail gun shoots, the force that is exerted on the projectile also is trying to push the rails apart, possibly warping them. And a chunk of metal flying down these rails at several km per second erodes them and ruins them.

So until I hear a solution to this problem, I dont think this is news at all.[/quote]

yea this is the real problem

they've had functioning railguns for like 40 years
    big ones even

they just degrade too fast

PS shoe did you know that there are more than one scientists

and that they can research more than one thing.

Kovak on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    250px-CS_SF_Striker_SAMAS01.jpg
    that is so a glitter boy
    You've been outta the game way too long if you don't recognize a SAMAS.

This is a Glitter Boy
    glitter_boy.png

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • KongKong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Kong wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

Pikachu use squirt

Who comes up with this stuff?
    Zombies?

Zombies would at least have the decency to put us out of our misery afterwards, or at the very least, smear blood all over the computer screen to protect us from the horrible, horrible images.

Kong on
    Targets eliminated: zilch
    edited January 2007
    did you know that there are more than one scientists

Doesn't mean one isn't getting more funding than the other.

Vivixenne on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

Defender on
    edited January 2007

Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MendozaMendoza Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kane2073 wrote:
    Have you guys every seen those above the influence commercials? God I hate those commercials

Why isn't there any pictures?

13_above_the_influence.gif

Below the influence commercials would be significantly funnier

the above the influence commercial with the alien saying no to the joint and then the girlfriend flying in the aliens space ship cracked me up

Above the influence: for potheads, by potheads

Mendoza on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

school/job

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited January 2007
    "Under" is the opposite of "above" the influence, not "below."

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

defender i love you

Kovak on
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    "Under" is the opposite of "above" the influence, not "below."

don't you mean antonym, Captain Semantic

Mendoza on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

That being said, I really would like to be able to afford medical care.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

not every homeless person is a crazy lazy person, defender

some people get screwed, get this, by the government, or large corporations, or just shitty circumstances in general. like, I dunno, a hurricane.

some people, and I know this might just sound KOOKY to a PULL YOURSELF UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS guy like you, but some people NEED AND DESERVE ASSISTANCE.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    did you know that there are more than one scientists

Doesn't mean one isn't getting more funding than the other.
    Okay, sure. But every time the topic turns to government spending on almost anything other than a select group of generalized "good things" like "ending world hunger," "universal healthcare" or "improving education," there's always a group that makes a lot of noise about superfluous spending and how we have no business pursuing whatever the current topic is (luxuries or military supplies) until we've somehow "solved" the bigger problems, or at least spent vast sums of money on it. It's a ridiculous thought, but on the internet, at least, you can't so much as mention anything but feeding poor orphans without drawing that response. I'm all for feeding poor orphans, but it would be silly to claim we can't spend money on anything less important until they're all fed.

redhead on
    edited January 2007
    can we agree that the majority of homeless people are crazy and stabbing waffle house waitresses

And you know i think its always best to work with what is the majority and not build up all kinds of spcial things for like maybe 5 dudes who are hobos with a heart of gold.

Kovak on
    edited January 2007
    That being said, I really would like to be able to afford medical care.

Yeah I had to go several months without treating a hernia a few years back because I didn't have health insurance. That sucked.
    Defender wrote:

not every homeless person is a crazy lazy person, defender

some people get screwed, get this, by the government, or large corporations, or just shitty circumstances in general. like, I dunno, a hurricane.

some people, and I know this might just sound KOOKY to a PULL YOURSELF UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS guy like you, but some people NEED AND DESERVE ASSISTANCE.

I agree that some kinds of social programs are good and that we shouldn't just be like "HAHA FUCK YOU POORFACE" to everyone who has not. But I'm not putting research money into growing food for hobos.

EDIT: Also, the more aid you give to, say, unemployed people, the less incentive you give them to get jobs. I am not saying that zero assistance is the optimal value, but I think that there should be $50,000 worth of annual support for someone who doesn't work, either. So I think the balance point is somewhere between those two extremes.

Defender on
    edited January 2007

school/job

Is it the the University of Ottawa? Cuz that looked like a really slick campus to visit. I drove through the city on Canada Day weekend and it looked like it would have been a riot. Too bad I was with the fam at the time.

Butters on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One time, I saw a homeless guy who must have weighed around 400 pounds.

America. Fuck yeah.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2007

school/job

Is it the the University of Ottawa? Cuz that looked like a really slick campus to visit. I drove through the city on Canada Day weekend and it looked like it would have been a riot. Too bad I was with the fam at the time.

No it's a small two year college in alberta because going to school in another country when you're not from that country is RAWTHER expensive

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • anarcakeanarcake regular
    edited January 2007
    You guys, this thread is for beating off to unrealistically cool military hardware, not big blocks of text full of sensible debate

anarcake on
    edited January 2007

America. Fuck yeah.
    did he just get everywhere via rolling or what

He should've gotten himself a record deal. Wesley Willis did it.

Defender on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:

Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare when you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

I will do no such thing.

Every person has rights, that is to say, everybody has certain negative duties toward other people. I will not force you out of your right to life, liberty, or the puruit of happiness. Why do people have these rights? The answer is simple: because every human has an inherent moral worth, being a thinking, rationing individual.

Thus, ones entire moral worth rests on one's ability to make rational decisions. When you forfeit your ability to control your fate with rational thought, and instead subsist off another, you have thus forfeited all moral worth. Such an action lowers you to the level of the beasts, or worse!

In conclusion, wow, apparently I'm too late, and all of the debate happened while I was typing this post.

Randall_Flagg on
    edited January 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

America. Fuck yeah.
    did he just get everywhere via rolling or what
    I don't know.

Imagine being from some third world country, and seeing that. It must be pretty confusing.

Edit: 'sup

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare whn you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

I will do no such thing.

Every person has rights, that is to say, everybody has certain negative duties toward other people. I will not force you out of your right to life, liberty, or the puruit of happiness. Why do people have these rights? The answer is simple: because every human has an inherent moral worth, being a thinking, rationing individual.

Thus, ones entire moral worth rests on one's ability to make rational decisions. When you forfeit your ability to control your fate with rational thought, and instead subsist off another, you have thus forfeited all moral worth. Such an action lowers you to the level of the beasts, or worse!

In conclusion, wow, apparently I'm too late, and all of the debate happened while I was typing this post.

NOO my beautiful egoist rant got bottom paged!

Randall_Flagg on
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    influencearrow.png

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare whn you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

I will do no such thing.

not that it would have added much

FUCK YOU POOR PEOPLE, I GOT MINES.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited January 2007
    I just wanted to call Defender Captain Semantic

and on another note; was verboten your word of the day, Knob?

Mendoza on