As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40k Action game: "Space Marine"

• Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    It's weird, I never considered marines to be implicitly close combat oriented. On the tabletop they do at least half of their work with shooting.

This is more like playing an Ork in power armor.

Also, why did the chaos marines jump off a thunderhawk? Boooo.

Depends on the Chapters. Iron Warriors use a lot of Imperial tech. Space Wolves and Blood Angels are the two chapters that spring to mind for close combat marines.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    It's weird, I never considered marines to be implicitly close combat oriented. On the tabletop they do at least half of their work with shooting.

Depends on the Chapters. Iron Warriors use a lot of Imperial tech. Space Wolves and Blood Angels are the two chapters that spring to mind for close combat marines.

I'd be totally down with it if he were a space wolf, but he looks to be a generic ultramarine of some variety.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Can't access the video at work, but fuck Ultramarines.

This game was sounding awesome and now it does not.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »

Oh man, let me play as a Death Company marine. All having crazy flashbacks all up ins while I hack up some mans.

Also: I want jump packs.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Running around yelling "I AM SANGUINIUS DIE HORUS" would be good times.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    powerclaws

powerclaws also need to be in this

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    powerclaws

powerclaws also need to be in this

You mean lightning claws? :P

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    yes

and those axe things

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anything witht he word "power" in it needs to be in this game.

"Assault" aswell

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    What they should do is give this guy a jetpack so he has a reason for getting into melee. That'd be a nice move.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    his reason is that he's running out of ammo but he can use his trusty chainsword forever and ever and ever

see I just made up a perfectly fine reason

also, chainsawing chaos folk is more fun than just pew pewing them.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They need to just do this right and make a 40k universe game that plays like Republic Commando.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    He's running into melee all the time because the game is god of war with a 40k skin. The "cinemaction" kills, the way it drops enemies in and the combat itself all reminds me of god of war. And to be honest, I don't really mind that it's a god of war clone, as long as we get a thunder hammer at some point.
    They need to just do this right and make a 40k universe game that plays like Republic Commando.
    That would be cool. Personally I always wanted a 40k version of Full Spectrum warrior.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    He's running into melee all the time because the game is god of war with a 40k skin. The "cinemaction" kills, the way it drops enemies in and the combat itself all reminds me of god of war. And to be honest, I don't really mind that it's a god of war clone, as long as we get a thunder hammer at some point.
    That would be cool. Personally I always wanted a 40k version of Full Spectrum warrior.

That too, I just couldn't remember the name if it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't like how the main character moves. He looks way to floaty.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Service Temporarily Unavailable
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.vgblogger.com Port 80

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yes please. Shit, remake that 3D0 Space Hulk and I'll be happy.

On a side note, I always wondered about this when I got my first Space Marine minature years ago - what do those little 'jet boosters' thing on the side of the backpack do? I used to think it was a jetpack but the 'shock trooper' (forgot the name, been a while since I played DoW) armor with the huge jetpack has told me otherwise.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    his reason is that he's running out of ammo but he can use his trusty chainsword forever and ever and ever

see I just made up a perfectly fine reason

also, chainsawing chaos folk is more fun than just pew pewing them.
    What I'm saying is that he should be an assault space marine.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They're anti-gravity pods, purely to keep the Marine standing.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Airan wrote: »

On a side note, I always wondered about this when I got my first Space Marine minature years ago - what do those little 'jet boosters' thing on the side of the backpack do? I used to think it was a jetpack but the 'shock trooper' (forgot the name, been a while since I played DoW) armor with the huge jetpack has told me otherwise.

They're supposed to be exhausts for the huge-ass powerpack they wear.

But yeah, anti-grav pods for balance seems more plausible. :P

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Heat vents of some kind?

They basically carry a reactor on their back, so it might be that.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Where's my Inquisitor MMO?

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Anti-grav is Eldar technology, and we'll not have vile xenos contraptions strapped to the backs of the Emperor's finest!

And they're exhaust vents, because human technology in the 41st millennium is basically like industrial revolution era filthy.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Anti-grav is Eldar technology, and we'll not have vile xenos contraptions strapped to the backs of the Emperor's finest!

And they're exhaust vents, because human technology in the 41st millennium is basically like industrial revolution era filthy.

If the humans are Industrial Revolution era filthy what does that make the orks?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Honestly, I think a shooting game based on the Star Wars Battlefront type of game would be awesome for 40k. Think about it, different class support, vehicles, and of course different armies. The combat would be a good fit I think.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

If the humans are Industrial Revolution era filthy what does that make the orks?

Fucking awesome?

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Fucking awesome?

Doesn't the fluff go that all their technology works because they think it works or something? Like the power of their belief makes their guns fire and stuff even when they're patently impossible? Well, I suppose I mean more impossible compared to the rest of the WH40K stuff.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Cockney soccer hooligans in space

Doesn't the fluff go that all their technology works because they think it works or something? Like the power of their belief makes their guns fire and stuff even when they're patently impossible? Well, I suppose I mean more impossible compared to the rest of the WH40K stuff.

Yeah it's a psychic link thing. That's why red ones go faster, for example.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wish I coulda seen the video.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Yep. Their guns fall apart and/or explode (most likely both) if anyone else tries to use them.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Fucking awesome?

You can read a bunch of it on wikipedia. Something like the Waaagh is a big latent psychic field focused on killing stuff which makes their guns work.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also Tau tanks hover.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    what is the point of that video?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    warder808 wrote: »

A little publicity for a new project.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    warder808 wrote: »

To...

To show the new game they are developing?

What an odd fucking question

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well actually the point is an internal walkthrough to show to higher ups in THQ what they're working on (the site that was hosting it, but has since got it pulled speculated it may even be a pitch video). It just happened to get leaked out.

The game isn't even offically announced.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Yep. Their guns fall apart and/or explode (most likely both) if anyone else tries to use them.

Okay. I have to be a total fluff asshole here because this is not the case. The Orks have developed the most advanced tractor field and teleportation technology in the galaxy (aside from the Necrons). And Ork guns work plenty fine - on Armageddon, there are Ork Hunter regiments of IG that use captured Ork weapons.

Basically, some Imperial techpriest (steeped in imperial dogma and superstition) couldn't figure out how the Orks get their guns to work, so he concluded that it must be psychic powers.

But, no. Their shit works fine.

SJ on
  • Options
    FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Orks have teleportation?

Frosty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SJ wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Okay. I have to be a total fluff asshole here because this is not the case. The Orks have developed the most advanced tractor field and teleportation technology in the galaxy (aside from the Necrons). And Ork guns work plenty fine - on Armageddon, there are Ork Hunter regiments of IG that use captured Ork weapons.

Basically, some Imperial techpriest (steeped in imperial dogma and superstition) couldn't figure out how the Orks get their guns to work, so he concluded that it must be psychic powers.

But, no. Their shit works fine.

Where do you get that from SJ? I figure you'd know more than I, or most people about it, since you're an ork-aholic. I was just going off the wikipedia entry that says:
    Quite a lot of Ork technology should not, logically, work at all, but does anyway in the hands of the Orks, due to the latent psychic energy that the Orks project - in other words, if an Ork believes something will work, it might well do. This explains why Ork weapon often don't work when others try to use their technology, and why, though there is no scientific explanation for it, Ork vehicles painted red really do go faster than others.

Of course, like most wikipedia stuff this isn't cited at all, maybe you should change it?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thing is, they're getting that from a single fluff article that talks about this mechanicus engineer who's unable to figure out WHY the Ork weapon doesn't work in Imperial hands (though the most likely reason for this is that the Imperium doesn't even really understand their OWN technology, none the less the mad-max improvised stuff that the Orks produce). The Ork hunters on Armageddon used Ork weapons and vehicles, one of the Commissar Cain books has him and Jurgen driving around on a captured Ork buggy, etc, etc. The idea that the Orks technology doesn't work is based upon a single piece of fluff that was present in the 3rd and now 5th ed. codeciis.

Although really no one knows why red vehicles go faster. My guess is that they tend to paint a vehicle red, and because it's red, they soop it up like a motherfucker. But really, I don't think that a teleporter that can send Orks onto Armageddon from half the system away would only work because the orks think that it does. After all, Ghazghkull had to test that shit out on Piscina to make sure it would work properly before he used it in a serious situation.

SJ on