As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2008 Button Exchange! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

• Options
    magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I went to drop my button off at BYOC the person there had no idea what I was talking about so I didnt get in on the case sadly. It also looks like I missed out on a group photo :(

magiic on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I definitely have >100. I really need to count em all.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For those that haven't seen it already, we made today's news post: http://penny-arcade.com/2008/9/3/

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kinda. They linked to the old purebuttons blog.

Houn on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DJBreslin wrote: »
    You did great! Presentation was awesome. Glad to have been part of this!

And here are the buttons I collected...
    PAX2008buttonsCollected.jpg

Lol, after 2 unsuccessful years, I am glad to have finally met you!

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, trying this again:

Since everyone else is posting their buttons, I guess I should post mine too:
    buttons.jpg

It's not quite Cuzza's collection, but I don't think I did 1/2 bad.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    After viewing the button collection photos in this thread I have not seen a picture of my button... :cry:

What's up with that yo?

Because you're crazy. Top left of the "X"
    DSCN0361.jpg

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My Buttons! I don't have that many!
    2827021658_1c43d3bfe1_b.jpg

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved the button exchange. I collect pins in my non-gamer time though so this suited me quite well. I was so gratified when people said "oooh, the EBA button, I really wanted one of these." I heard that a couple times actually. :D I actually have maybe 10 left. My goal next year is to actually make it to the pre-PAX dinner because that seems to be when a lot of the heavy trading happened.

The most interesting trade I made was walking up to a person who was, I think, demoing something on a DS? Anyway he was looking down at something on a counter. I saw he had buttons so I sidled up to him and placed my button near him on the counter. He looked down and saw it and put his button down on the counter and then we melted away into the crowd all spy-like. :lol:

Once I get all my buttons laid out somehow I will take a pic. I probably have around 100 because I had probably 112ish when I started and I have around ten of my own left. I didn't always make trades though, I did give a few away, so maybe less.

Also I hope we get some more close-up pictures of the case because I'm not sure if I can see my button in there and now I'm all worried needlessly even though I definitely dropped one off.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanted one of your EBA Pins!!! I never found you though... :(

If you save one for next year, I'll trade you for one of my Shadow of the Colossus buttons! (or, whatever I have next year..)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Still sad that I never found Hottopicreject for the Dr. Horrible button.

And! I did not know that the LHH Button would be THAT popular.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    magiic wrote: »
    When I went to drop my button off at BYOC the person there had no idea what I was talking about so I didnt get in on the case sadly. It also looks like I missed out on a group photo :(

I had a lot of spareboard enforcers this year :( Plus i was hella busy so I wasnt able to breif them all on what was going on in time.

Sorry to those who missed out.

Shall we try to collect the missing buttons and add them to the case? Assuming people have some left that is.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did redhalo get his button thrown in?

It was conspicuously missing when we checked it after the Q&A. :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »

I'm wondering if mine made it in there. I dropped it off with BigRed, but in the picture I can't identify it...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    DJBreslin wrote: »
    You did great! Presentation was awesome. Glad to have been part of this!

And here are the buttons I collected...
    PAX2008buttonsCollected.jpg

Lol, after 2 unsuccessful years, I am glad to have finally met you!

Third time's a charm! And we met twice for added measure. Look forward to seeing you next year too.
    super... wrote: »
    well i just counted and i have 18 buttons left, given that i gave out a good number for nothing in return and i only started with 54 i'm guessing that my button was one of the more difficult to track down.

I have one of your buttons... and I just now realized you were my assassins target in 2004 or 2005 (can't recall). Hey there!

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay, here are my close-up shots of the button case. I just used my iPhone so it's not that high-def: PAX08 Button Case Close-up

Looking closely at the originals, I don't see RedHalo or TrainwreckX's buttons in there. You guys have extras you could mail to the PA office to have them included?

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    Earley wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone have a better photo of the case where you can see the buttons a little better?

I got some decent close-up shots when the box was by BYOC, but I was just using my iPhone. I'll get them posted after work. I'm sure there are better shots out there than mine. Darkphibre?
    No, I didn't. :( I didn't even know there was a case (was too busy running from spot to spot to get pics) until after PAX was over and I checked the forums. I'd have done a fancy photosynth or mega-stitch if I'd've seen it.

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I gave my pins to Felicia, Sandeep, and Khoo whom agreed to pass a button on to Gabe & Tycho. Khoo seemed interested in the fact that my pic was just me dressed as House. :lol:

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »

Yeah I didn't see mine in there, but my TWEWY one was. No biggie, I got to got to be part of all of this so I'm happy.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I gave my pins to Felicia, Sandeep, and Khoo whom agreed to pass a button on to Gabe & Tycho. Khoo seemed interested in the fact that my pic was just me dressed as House. :lol:

As info, you don't really look like your pic. I could hold it right up next to you and not see the resemblance.

redhalo on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tycho was wearing my pin all weekend (since early on Friday afternoon)...it made me happy.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Strife23Strife23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Out of curiosity did anyone have trouble flying with their buttons?

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    Strife23105039_thintag.gif
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nay, I ran into no grief from any TSA agent over it. They took more offense to my toothpaste than the buttons. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    Okay, here are my close-up shots of the button case. I just used my iPhone so it's not that high-def: PAX08 Button Case Close-up

Looking closely at the originals, I don't see RedHalo or TrainwreckX's buttons in there. You guys have extras you could mail to the PA office to have them included?

Thanks for the originals, Mystral... here's a photosynth of the button case made from them:
    http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=07010b1a-fd7c-43cb-93ec-70fcd5b6cb74

If anyone has more photos from other angles, I may be able to stick them in the 'synth.

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    88 original buttons that are not mine nor HDTS buttons
    100_0496.jpg

edit: make that 92, I just found 4 in the bottom of my backpack

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We put ours in our suitcases, didn't want to risk them being confiscated.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Rocket TacoRocket Taco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't RedHalo (or someone editing his post) talk to the TSA and find out they don't care? Unless you come from outside the country, that is, in which case they suspect you of smuggling drugs in the buttons.

Rocket Taco on
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have 4 words to say about the buttoneering. Best part of PAX. For me, anyway! ;) It was awesome to meet you all IRL. I had never met folks for the first time that I was already friends with! I ran out of buttons so I skipped the meetup but, man, seeing that picture of the meetup made me wish I'd come anyway! Kudos to the organizers. This blew up into an event bigger than any of us imagined and they did great! Thanks all!

MR.T on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would ahve been nice if the case didn't have to be alan wrenched open/closed so I could have gotten my button in there :D.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RedHalo actually went through security with his buttons pinned all over his backpack. I put mine in a baggy inside my pack just so they wouldn't get snagged on anything. Once I had quite a few on there I was walking on eggshells.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trotsky, I found the supertrip button in the bottom of my bag. (but I doubt it fell in there so I think someone from my group slipped theirs into my bag out of pity.)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    Trotsky, I found the supertrip button in the bottom of my bag. (but I doubt it fell in there so I think someone from my group slipped theirs into my bag out of pity.)

Ha, that's cool. Well, like I said, I have about 10 or so left, so if we do another meetup and people missed out I can pass a couple out.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The button exchange was awesome I'm proud to have been a part of it. And I can't wait next year.

[hijack]

I must say though that the Twitter group influenced my time at PAX more than any other thing. We got to know each other months ago, so by the time the show came around we all already had a hundred people to look for, eat breakfast with, meet for lunch, see panels with, have drinks with, and generally fill up our cell phones. And we are still talking every day to each other. Right @darkphibre?

[/hijack]

Earley on
  • Options
    Strife23Strife23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Didn't RedHalo (or someone editing his post) talk to the TSA and find out they don't care? Unless you come from outside the country, that is, in which case they suspect you of smuggling drugs in the buttons.

That would have been me, I just wanted to make sure my local TSA didn't lie to me :P

Strife23 on
    I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.
    Strife23105039_thintag.gif
  • Options
    suziezsuziez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yeah...definitely...i was sooo good at reading those tweets during pax weekend, wasn't i? totally met up with everyone from twitter and got everyone's buttons.

suziez on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    suziez wrote: »
    yeah...definitely...i was sooo good at reading those tweets during pax weekend, wasn't i? totally met up with everyone from twitter and got everyone's buttons.

Who were you again? :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Strife23 wrote: »

That would have been me, I just wanted to make sure my local TSA didn't lie to me :P

Yeah, no one even batted an eye at my bag. I can't possibly imagine what it looked like going through the x-ray machine though. Like some kind of x-ray camouflage.

redhalo on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Over 110 buttons... mmm, tasty. Part1 Part2

It was great to meet you all and trade buttons, though I wish I had chatted with people more after trading. I gave away a few over the course of the weekend, but still ended with about 10 left over for the post-PAX meetup. I'm a little disappointed that I missed out on some peoples' buttons, but there's always next year, right? I've already got my design picked out and ready to go! (though it is just a palette swap)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

We flew back to the UK, via Chicago, our bags arrived home36 hours after us, and they had been searched - a lovely little note from US Customs saying they'd searched them, and if they'd broken the locks, it was our fault, we shouldn't have locked them D: Thankfully, we hadn't :lol:

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    jadragonjadragon Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    A big thank you to everyone that made the button exchange a huge (and entertaining) success. I really enjoyed the Button Exchange at PAX and was so glad to meet so many of you!

I had no idea I was even going to be there until the second week of August, so things were kinda rushed (all but the buttons - Purebuttons is only over in Akron and me in Columbus.) I did not quite catch the bit about the primary buttons being the avatar - but lots of people seemed to like my "Don't Panic" ones anyway. Maybe I will get it right on the next go round. I did manage to get most if not all of the similar text adventure / Infocom-era buttons I could spy in the forum, so I was pleased with my take.

I seem to have more than 120 and less than 150, with several that were unrelated to the exchange. I had them on a Target cloth bag, and probably lost a couple in the heavy expo crowds on Friday and Saturday. I did have a couple of people that exchanged some sort of button just to get one of mine - who knew? Here's a pic - can you find yours?
    PaxButtons.jpg

There were a couple of young kids I passed them out to that seemed to be in awe of the whole concept - who knows, maybe I hooked some newbies...

By the way - a big hello and a note to goddessofkats - as I told you, your Harley costume is excellent!
    PaxHarley.jpg

jadragon on
This discussion has been closed.