As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So you ignored 85% of the movie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    So you ignored 85% of the movie

Pretty much, I mean once sector 7 showed up I checked out. I bought the DVD and ripped it to my iPhone, I enjoyed it. Sure most of the story is just down right stupid but it was a fun movie and I look forward to Transformers 2

smokmnky on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Robos, if the trilogy played out like you suggest (particularly the Red Son nod), I'd shit bricks.

Batman not funny? It sure got some laughs in the theater I saw it in, including the infamous Magic Trick (which was admittedly a more nervous / stress relieving laughter), the Joker's Nurse routine and the various suspects as to Batman's identity. It wasn't a laugh a minute, but I felt there were some sincerely funny moments included.

Transformers; by no means a terrific movie, but I found it highly entertaining, was held enraptured by little things (I could watch Optimus Prime transform for hours)... and watching Megan Fox was plenty entertaining.

Edit: that said, there was PLENTY that could've been cut, including pretty much the entirety of the aussie chick / black hacker sub plot. They could've shaved a good 20 minutes from the film without a lot of that shit in there, and unless it's pivotal somehow to the sequel(s), I doubt we'd be any worse for wear. Might've justified another good special effects sequence even, or an extension to an existing one.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    Well Marvel still knows whats up for the most part, given that they pursued Simon Pegg to do the Ant-Man movie

do you mean edgar wright because I can see why they'd be easy to mix up

DJ Eebs on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went into Transformers expecting shit and enjoyed the hell out of it. Caught it and Die Hard together on a 2-for-1. I felt it was a good summer blockbuster-type flick, but would've preferred it without the techno/hacker -mumbojumbo.

In fact, that last line could apply toward either of the movies.

Now I just want a Michael Bay DinoSaucers flick.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Saph wrote: »
    Aleph wrote: »
    I hope that TDK doesn't start a trend where comic book movies aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

Well, I think it was X-Men that started taking the superhero genre seriously. The trend has been going on for quite some time now.

Since when did taking the superhero genre seriously mean that no character can be light-hearted in nature?

Obviously you're one of those people that don't want any funny in their superhero movies, because only dark, depressing movies can be good.

There's a reason why both Iron Man and TDK were major successes this year.

Large marketing budget?

Large marketing budgets backfire horribly if the film isn't any good.

Transformers. Pirates II and III.

All three of those are good, fun movies. What's your deal, man?

mattharvest on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    pirates 3 dragged on forever. by the end, it wasn't so much fun as arduous.

Angry on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know I saw Pirates 2. I mean, I have the ticket taped to my desk. I don't remember any of it.

Pirates three was soooo slooooow.

I liked Transformers. I don't care what anyone says, it was silly fun for me, and it made me buy a toy. Mission accomplished!

Mr Pink on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't have guessed that a film with Johnny Depp and Bill Nighy could be so boring.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    I hope that TDK doesn't start a trend where comic book movies aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

Well, I think it was X-Men that started taking the superhero genre seriously. The trend has been going on for quite some time now.

Since when did taking the superhero genre seriously mean that no character can be light-hearted in nature?

Obviously you're one of those people that don't want any funny in their superhero movies, because only dark, depressing movies can be good.

There's a reason why both Iron Man and TDK were major successes this year.

Large marketing budget?

Large marketing budgets backfire horribly if the film isn't any good.

Transformers.
    But that was a good movie :?:

If by good you me...you know what. Fuck it. It's not worth going over again. Lets just cut to the part where I say I hate you and threaten to fire bomb your house for your terrible tastes.
    The film was good relative to the usual quality of the franchise. Transformers in most forms, is shit. The film was significantly less shit than its counterparts.

Saph on
    edited September 2008
    Transformers Animated and Beast Wars are pretty fun. and better in my opinion/

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed Transformers as well. I'm pretty sure everyone I know did as well. I'm not exactly sure what they could have done to make it better really.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed Transformers as well. I'm pretty sure everyone I know did as well. I'm not exactly sure what they could have done to make it better really.

Cut out entire subplots and throw out the shaky cam, to start

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    Well Marvel still knows whats up for the most part, given that they pursued Simon Pegg to do the Ant-Man movie

do you mean edgar wright because I can see why they'd be easy to mix up

yes that is what I meant

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Written a script. Taken out the awful adlibbing from Shia Lebouf and all the dick jokes and other brain-numbing fare. Shown the Transformers for more than 40 minutes of a two and a half hour film. Have characters that aren't just stereotypes and cliches. Let me keep my respect for John Tuturo and John Voight.

HadjiQuest on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I really hope that whole shaky cam fad gets out quick. In movies like Cloverfield, I think it works well. But not every damn action movie needs it. Sometimes I'd like to see what the hell is going on.

Mr Pink on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I think the shaky cam really is only appropriate in faux-documentaries.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Written a script. Taken out the awful adlibbing from Shia Lebouf and all the dick jokes and other brain-numbing fare. Shown the Transformers for more than 40 minutes of a two and a half hour film. Have characters that aren't just stereotypes and cliches. Let me keep my respect for John Tuturo and John Voight.
    Ohhhh, someone hasn't seen Anaconda.

Wildcat on
    edited September 2008
    I've seen Annaconda and Jon Voight's performance in Transformers makes his role in Annaconda look oscar worthy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    I'd agree with ditching shaky-cam, but I cannot understand at all how people found Pirates slow or boring. Honestly, I'm not being critical: I just don't understand how that's possible.

mattharvest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first one dragged on way too long and had like three or four endings. Which really pissed me off because I saw it with someone I didn't want to hang out with, and when it "ended" after about 90 minutes I was grabbing my coat. So imagine how much I enjoyed it when it did really totally end over an hour later. That was time I wish I could sue for.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    The first one dragged on way too long and had like three or four endings. Which really pissed me off because I saw it with someone I didn't want to hang out with, and when it "ended" after about 90 minutes I was grabbing my coat. So imagine how much I enjoyed it when it did really totally end over an hour later. That was time I wish I could sue for.

I dunno, maybe I just like overly complex mythologies more (I certainly do enjoy them) and so was enamored with all the little details.

mattharvest on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, my problem was with the overly complex mythology. Also, no giant Kraken fight in the third film.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I really hope that whole shaky cam fad gets out quick. In movies like Cloverfield, I think it works well. But not every damn action movie needs it. Sometimes I'd like to see what the hell is going on.

Seriously; I just rewatched the second Bourne film - sooo nauseous by the end.

KalTorak on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always thought the Pirates films would've been a lot better if they hadn't bothered with all the supernatural stuff and just made a couple of films about pirates. I mean really, are pirates not cool enough on their own? The ship battle and the attack on the port in the first film are the best bits of the whole series.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I completely hated all three PotC films.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only one I really enjoyed was the second one

Probably because it was so completely retarded that it really got at the spirit of the franchise's amusement park ride roots

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved the first movie. The second one was alright, and I liked the third. They did just continue to make things overly complex. It's like a nerdgasm, where directors become fanboys of their own movies and shove in as many "How cool would it be if we..." moments as possible.

I will say that I enjoyed the movies thoroughly more than I enjoyed... lets say... Matrix 2. Yeah, that shit blew fat cack.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The First PotC was one of my favourite movies of that year, just because I wasn't expecting anything (I didn't see it for a while either - my friend dragged us all to fucking SWAT opening weekend. NEVER FORGET).

I saw the second in theatres opening day. What a piece of shit. I still haven't bothered seeing the third.

Also, Green Lantern concept art ahoy:

EDIT "Lots of Red X's, See below post for link."

They were apparently part of Greg Berlanti's pitch to Warner Bros.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    your links didn't work at all

smokmnky on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zoinks! They were there a second ago. Hold on.

Here's a link to the site I got them from.

Also, some guy named Adam Green has apparently been hired to write a script for an animated Aquaman DDVD (Source). How 'bout that.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That doesn't look like Guy Gardner at all. Someone dropped the ball.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now I just want a Michael Bay DinoSaucers flick.

Better idea; a Michael Bay Dino-Riders flick! Jurassic Park with heavy weaponry!
    Also, no giant Kraken fight in the third film.

Yeah, that sucked. Big awesome showdown at the end of the second film... third film... oh, it's just dead. HOW ZANY!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    That doesn't look like Alan Scott at all. Someone dropped the ball.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited September 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The only one I really enjoyed was the second one

Probably because it was so completely retarded that it really got at the spirit of the franchise's amusement park ride roots

funnily enough I liked the 2nd one the best by far as well, if only for the awesome action sequence at the end (waterwheel fight was tits)

by comparison the first movie put me to sleep

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hell yes

Bale gets it <3

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raimi and Maguire may be signed up for Spider-man 4

Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite superhero movie (just personal choice), so I hope 3 was a fluke.

Kyougu on
    edited September 2008
    One wasn't that good either, so I'd say 2 was the fluke.

And I so wanted Raimi and Maguire off the franchise.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Raimi and Maguire may be signed up for Spider-man 4

Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite superhero movie (just personal choice), so I hope 3 was a fluke.

According to Deadline Hollywood Daily, it's happening, and 4 and 5 may be filmed at the same time.

Also, Jamie Vanderbilt wrote the script for 4. Which doesn't sound interesting until you figure out that he wrote the script to Zodiac

DJ Eebs on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    spider-man 1 and 3 are both terrible while 2 i enjoyed.

i really liked spider-man 1 when i saw it in the theatre, but that was obviously me just wanting to like it. when i bought the dvd and watched it, i tried to figure out why exactly i liked the movie the first time.

Angry on
This discussion has been closed.