As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IGA's Second Symphony - possible SOTN sequel

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A penny a heart.

And secret rooms require a .25 cent entry fee.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A penny a heart.

And secret rooms require a .25 cent entry fee.

Toll booth at the castle entrance. $20 per person.

Children under 5 enter free.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If we're going by age, Alucard needs to pay what, 500 dollars or so?

core tactic on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:
    Just to be clear, it says the title of the EGM article is Second Symphony, not necessarily the game.

Also, I've been looking for an affordable copy of the original game for God knows how many years...Any tips, anyone?
    Usually goes for $20-$25 used at EBStop.
    In my experience it doesn't usually go for anything at EBStop, because most EBStops haven't seen a copy in so long they actually laugh at you if you ask.
    Once upon a time when I was young and naive I looked for Front Mission 3 in EB.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007

No. He pays 20 dollars.

You ruined it, you bastard. It was meant to be like an amusement park entrance booth.

With swords.

And demons.

That would be the best theme park ever

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    5 dollars extra or the shield rod isn't even in the game.

That isn't bad.

Howabout $5 for each piece of Alucard gear?
    You misunderstand. You don't just get the Shield Rod for that $5. They just put it back where it was in the real SotN, and you are able to go find it, while people unwilling to pay the $5 can't ever have a Shield Rod.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To clarify, I saw the blurb, and they go into this after talking about the XBLA port of Symphony of the Night. It is definitely talking about a new game.

If this is a 3d SotN sequel though...I am going to kick everyone in EGM HQ square in the nuts, which will be followed by a trip to Konami's HQ to do the same thing. 2d. Next gen console. NOOOOWWWWW.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    5 dollars extra or the shield rod isn't even in the game.

That isn't bad.

Howabout $5 for each piece of Alucard gear?
    You misunderstand. You don't just get the Shield Rod for that $5. They just put it back where it was in the real SotN, and you are able to go find it, while people unwilling to pay the $5 can't ever have a Shield Rod.

I never used the Shield Rod.

I just scummed for Crissaegrims.

Those were some good blended drinks.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

No. He pays 20 dollars.

You ruined it, you bastard. It was meant to be like an amusement park entrance booth.

With swords.

And demons.

That would be the best theme park ever
    "Mommy! Mommy! That skeleton is trying to .... uRGHRi!"
    "Eh, it's okay. He saved."

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:
    Just to be clear, it says the title of the EGM article is Second Symphony, not necessarily the game.

Also, I've been looking for an affordable copy of the original game for God knows how many years...Any tips, anyone?
    In my experience it doesn't usually go for anything at EBStop, because most EBStops haven't seen a copy in so long they actually laugh at you if you ask.
    Oh and I forgot, they also stopped carrying anything older than PS2 at most EBStops, and SotN doesn't appear on the website at all.

But yeah, all I'm seeing here is another 3D game. Hopefully it won't be the 1999 game, because I want that one to be good.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:

Oh and I forgot, they also stopped carrying anything older than PS2 at most EBStops, and SotN doesn't appear on the website at all.

But yeah, all I'm seeing here is another 3D game. Hopefully it won't be the 1999 game, because I want that one to be good.

I really, honestly see nothing wrong with another 3D game, assuming they don't have any dellusions about recreating what made Symphony great.

3D is a little better suited to playing with the classic Vania formula. Lament of Innocence probably got the mechanics right, now we just need a team of designers capable of building levels which aren't, you know, torturous.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought SotN for 9.99$ in a bestbuy.

It was GH and new.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:

I really, honestly see nothing wrong with another 3D game, assuming they don't have any dellusions about recreating what made Symphony great.

3D is a little better suited to playing with the classic Vania formula. Lament of Innocence probably got the mechanics right, now we just need a team of designers capable of building levels which aren't, you know, torturous.

Get rid of the time limit and Dead Rising is basically a 3d Castlevania game.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    corin7 wrote:
    mrots wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:

Get rid of the time limit and Dead Rising is basically a 3d Castlevania game.

I'm not sure I follow.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They should release Chi No Rondo 2, and SoTN 2 on ONE disk. The system that got those would win the console war quickly.

But sigh, it seems both my favorites of the series (other then CV3 which can't be topped) won't happen.

crash5s on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

I'm not sure I follow.

It is basically a Castlevania game in design. Just a different setting. Even the hated save points are just like Castlevania. All in 3d and it doesn't suck. So I guess I am saying that a 3d Castlevania that is awesome is possible, they just haven't pulled it off yet.

corin7 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Miller wrote:

tell me about it. I was sure it wasn't worth that much because I found it used a few years back, but it goes for an unfortunate amount on Ebay.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm really getting sick of the Castlevania games that Iga is pumping out.

I played Super Castlevania on the VC and enjoyed it way more than PoR.

Not that the Castletroid thing is entirely unwelcome, but they really need to get more creative and stop using the same cookie cutter formula.

I'd definitely like to see the RPG elements toned down a lot and the overall game play brought back to something closer to the classic games. You can still use an open map without the character being a damn god by the end of the game.

The anime shit is terrible and the stories are getting ridicules even for this type of game.

Oh, and what happened to the classic horror movie atmosphere? The Japanese influence has gotten to be too much in these games.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lurker wrote:

Not that the Castletroid thing is entirely unwelcome, but they really need to get more creative and stop using the same cookie cutter formula.

I'd definitely like to see the RPG elements toned down a lot and the overall game play brought back to something closer to the classic games. You can still use an open map without the character being a damn god by the end of the game.

The anime shit is terrible and the stories are getting ridicules even for this type of game.

Oh, and what happened to the classic horror movie atmosphere? The Japanese influence has gotten to be too much in these games.

It's called Metroidvania, but other then that, I fully agree with you points. All I want to see is a new castlevania in style of the classic NES/SNES games.

And I don't really see how a sequel of SOTN would play any different then the GBA/DS games.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I bought SoTN at CVS for 20 bucks years ago.

They also had Suikdon 2 which I hear is rare thought I didn't get that.

weird that CVS would have games.

JJ on
  • Options
    TuomaTuoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Caswynben wrote:
    I am not confused. The stories in all the Castlevania games are connected (At least in spirit) and there have been 5 Castlevania games that play exactly line Symphony of the Night since then.

That is a big fat lie. Even if the gba/ds games plays similar to sotn they are nowhere fucking near in terms of control, cool items and replayability. Playing like Alucard in Dawn Of Sorrow for example felt like ASS compared to the original, got damn slow-motion-retard-Alucard is what i would call him. But then again i am crazy for the the "original".

If they are going to do a sotn with 3d graphics, the should just use super wonderfull 3d graphics but be played like the good old 2d one, not excactly like it but you know, the 2d perspective. Also make the game 4-10 times bigger and throw in one billion more weapons and stuff to collect. And more modes like luck-mode and that.

Also, people that say they want a castlevania that plays like the snesgames... I can't image going back to that, would feel retarded.

Tuoma on
    Tuoma.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Lurker wrote:

For a bit of perspective, if they did what you ask, I'd pretty much drop the franchise. I mean if PoR's Hard Mode with Level 1 cap isn't close enough to what you're asking for, I don't see any reason to drop money on a new game when my SNES Castlevanias work. Although I also don't get pissed off when cartoon art-styles are used for conversation-boxes, or at videogame-stories that aren't NY Times Bestsellers.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    -The plots used to be "oh hey it's another century, heeeeeerre's Dracula!" before SotN (excluding Castlevania 2). If you want to complain about something being cookie-cutter, then that would make a better target. Besides, the quality hasn't been on a steady downward decline--hell, I could say Aria of Sorrow was probably the peak for the whole damn series in story, and just because Dawn and Portrait haven't lived up doesn't mean the stories are going to complete shit.

-The anime look appeared in 1993. I don't prefer it at all, no, but people need to stop acting like it's something new and horrifying.

I love the old games--I beat Castlevania 3 for the first time the other day--but there's only so much depth to them. Even with a Hard Mode, I doubt I'll make any effort to replay CV3 anytime soon.

Oh, and by the way? Lament of Innocence did pretty much everything you asked for--generally horror-inspired atmospheres (no zaniness whatsoever--well, except for one of the hidden characters), no leveling systems, so on. And I did enjoy it, but it's such a different overall experience from the SotN formula that the two design choices are hard to compare. That is, except for the fact that the SotN provides for much, much more replay and completionism.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lament of Innocence did pretty much everything you asked for--generally horror-inspired atmospheres (no zaniness whatsoever--well, except for one of the hidden characters), no leveling systems, so on. And I did enjoy it, but it's such a different overall experience from the SotN formula that the two design choices are hard to compare. That is, except for the fact that the SotN provides for much, much more replay and completionism.
    Lament of Innocence gets way more shit then it deserves, as far as I'm concerned. It's a pretty good game. It's flawed yes, but not bad at all.

Elendil on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I... I like the DS Castlevania games...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Lament of Innocence did pretty much everything you asked for--generally horror-inspired atmospheres (no zaniness whatsoever--well, except for one of the hidden characters), no leveling systems, so on. And I did enjoy it, but it's such a different overall experience from the SotN formula that the two design choices are hard to compare. That is, except for the fact that the SotN provides for much, much more replay and completionism.
    Lament of Innocence gets way more shit then it deserves, as far as I'm concerned. It's a pretty good game. It's flawed yes, but not bad at all.
    This is very true. But its presentation is by no means a replacement for the Metroidvania formula. More like an alternative. And if it ever were a replacement, I'd be real unhappy.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God I hope they don't do a direct sequel to SotN. I don't even want playable Alucard.

I only want the battle of 1999. I want to take Julius through Dracula's castle and wrap his face in the Vampire Killer.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Imran wrote:
    God I hope they don't do a direct sequel to SotN. I don't even want playable Alucard.

I only want the battle of 1999. I want to take Julius through Dracula's castle and wrap his face in the Vampire Killer.
    I'm actually more interested to know how the Vampire Killer gets back to the Belmonts by 1999 after the Morris stint in WWI and II. Who knows, maybe that could be part of the '99 game, but it just seemed to me that Julius was handed down the whip by his own bloodline.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Why are you saying this like you're ashamed?

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I think it's because of what Lurker was saying.

Portrait of Ruin is probably my favorite game on the system. Dawn's pretty swell too.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    As well you should be. They're great. They're just not the NES games, so some people hate them for being "not-Castlevania". Which I've always found odd because last I heard, it was Konami's intellectual property and thus they have the only say on what is and isn't Castlevania.
    Imran wrote:

I'm actually more interested to know how the Vampire Killer gets back to the Belmonts by 1999 after the Morris stint in WWI and II. Who knows, maybe that could be part of the '99 game, but it just seemed to me that Julius was handed down the whip by his own bloodline.
    [spoiler:3948ae37e3]They've already explained it. The very same prophecy that led the Belmonts to leave the whip in the care of the Morrises will lead the Morrises to return it when Dracula returns as prophecied. Essentially the prophecy comes soon after SotN, and says something to the effect of "Dracula will return once more for a final battle with the Belmont clan, and the Belmnts are not to touch the Vampire Killer until then."[/spoiler:3948ae37e3]

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    As well you should be. They're great. They're just not the NES games, so some people hate them for being "not-Castlevania". Which I've always found odd because last I heard, it was Konami's intellectual property and thus they have the only say on what is and isn't Castlevania.
    Imran wrote:

[spoiler:a9d9eaa30a]They've already explained it. The very same prophecy that led the Belmonts to leave the whip in the care of the Morrises will lead the Morrises to return it when Dracula returns as prophecied. Essentially the prophecy comes soon after SotN, and says something to the effect of "Dracula will return once more for a final battle with the Belmont clan, and the Belmnts are not to touch the Vampire Killer until then."[/spoiler:a9d9eaa30a]
    Huh, I didn't recall that detail. Interesting.

I guess the Morris family is shaping to be less and less of a Bram Stoker homage and more a standard part of the CV mythos. :P

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

Portrait of Ruin is probably my favorite game on the system. Dawn's pretty swell too.
    PoR is, in my opinion, the best one since Symphony. And aside from the weird touch screen shit in Dawn, it's right behind PoR for me. The character art is a pretty minor sticking point for me since I can pretend it doesn't exist.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It must suck being Dracula.

After decades you come back to life for all of a few weeks or months until you're killed again.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrots wrote:
    mrots wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

PoR is, in my opinion, the best one since Symphony. And aside from the weird touch screen shit in Dawn, it's right behind PoR for me. The character art is a pretty minor sticking point for me since I can pretend it doesn't exist.
    Yeah, I agree on PoR, but I think I'd place Aria just below it instead of Dawn.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    DoS is my favorite post-SotN game. The only pre-SotN game I've played is the first Castlevania. Despite my sucking, it's pretty fun, so I'm excited about being able to pick up Castlevania IV whenever I stumble upon a Wii.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

After decades you come back to life for all of a few weeks or months until you're killed again.
    Man, if all I have to do in (un?)life is sleep and bite people, getting whipped in the face a few dozen times over a millenium is a small price.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

Dude, think about. Why are there always succubi on the top floors of the castle?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    DoS is my favorite post-SotN game. The only pre-SotN game I've played is the first Castlevania. Despite my sucking it's pretty fun, so I'm excited about being able to pick up Castlevania IV whenever I stumble upon a Wii.
    Try and look into Castlevania 3. Its pit deaths aren't as evil as the first game, and it still poses a formidable and (usually) fair challenge. It's aces.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    DoS is my favorite post-SotN game. The only pre-SotN game I've played is the first Castlevania. Despite my sucking it's pretty fun, so I'm excited about being able to pick up Castlevania IV whenever I stumble upon a Wii.
    Try and look into Castlevania 3. Its pit deaths aren't as evil as the first game, and it still poses a formidable and (usually) fair challenge. It's aces.

Some paths in it are pretty damn difficult in a good way. Excellent game that Dracula's Curse is.

I liked the cool extra tricks in it too like how Sypha could freeze the entire water flow in the aqueduct level or how there'd be some areas where they let you climb over the "top" of the level as Grant to progress faster. Plus Alucard at that time was more badass. No weapons nessecary because his default attack was hurling fireballs. :P

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish