As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

showing appreciation

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm one of the only people my age (early 20s) who still has all their grandparents, and in fairly good health. It may seem too corny or sentimental for some, but I'd like to show my appreciation while I still can. I know it's coming soon where I get the phone call and they start dropping rapidly. They really have done more than I can imagine, not only for me but for so many. Both grandfathers are WW2 veterans and community organizers. Grandmothers helped raise me and my brother until I was in middle school. They really love me and miss me because I work so far away from them.

Someone said to get plane tickets home to see them, but with my new job I don't have any vacation for a long time. I hear the best things are free, but even so I have a few hundred to spend. The next time I see them will be in Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah.

Anyone have any ideas? I remind them I appreciate them and call them once in a while, but I can't shake feeling. I know whatever I do, they'll love it.

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Surprise deliveries are always nice; perhaps your grandmas are the kind who would adore a nice bunch of flowers to arrive at her door? You could always get one of those themed 'baskets' (uff, sorry, I forget the true name for them since we don't have them here, but they're popular in the US).

If you don't want a typical gifty type thing, why not buy tickets for them someplace? Since they're all in fair health maybe a nice day out at a small attraction near them would be a nice and memorable gift? I know all my grandparents like a nice day out somewhere, even if it's only to somewhere like an old steam railway a few miles away. Is there anything like that near them?

Edilith on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This might be too simple for you, but have you considered hand-written letters? For that generation, letters really seem to be some of the most cherished keepsakes.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    This might be too simple for you, but have you considered hand-written letters? For that generation, letters really seem to be some of the most cherished keepsakes.

This. Older people really like getting letters; they can reread them later and show them to friends and family. Get some nice writing paper and write a nice, long, chatty letter.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My grandparents used to take me on all kinds of trips when I was younger. One day I just called them up and let them know how much that meant to me and I had so many good memories from those trips. They really appreciated that.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mmm, write to them, they'll love it, and will keep the letters for ever.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mmm, write to them, they'll love it, and will keep the letters for ever.

I think this is what I'm going to do. Thanks.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to say good for you.

I lost 2 grandparents (same side of family) recently and regret not doing something like this.

Afty on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They might also appreciate pictures of you, your home, and just letting them know what's going on in your life. If you get a really good photo taken (professionally or otherwise), you could send it in a nice picture frame.

witch_ie on