As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join the GTVA Fleet! FREESPACE 2 (56K is hit with friendly fire from the Actium)

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I tell you what, though.

It took so many fucking tries to get past that one mission... you know the one... God, even talking about it would spoil shit...

Let's just say right before the clash of the titans? Hopefully that doesn't give it away.

I knew there was more to the game, and I was only barely into act 3, but... holy fucking hell. I only got a couple more missions past that and then gave up for the time being, as it was getting so insanely hard. I really need to give it a go with my new computer.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoiler tags?

And which game are we talking? There are TWO Clash of the Titans missions. One in FS1, the other in FS2. :P

MechMantis on
  • tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't played a space sim in ages...like I think the last I played was x-wing back in the early 90's. I'd love to get this if the source code updates in the OP work on the GOG version.

tendoboy101 on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't played a space sim in ages...like I think the last I played was x-wing back in the early 90's. I'd love to get this if the source code updates in the OP work on the GOG version.

Why bother with the GOG version in the first place?

Brolo on
    edited September 2008
    Because otherwise you are looking at hunting it on E-bay?

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    I don't want to pirate it. I want to support GOG. That is all.

tendoboy101 on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Having just got FS2_Open, I'm glad this was bumped.

But I made the horrible mistake of trying to play this with a gamepad. Then I remembered just how many key combinations a "simulator" game requires.

I'm going to keyboard it up for this, and leave the Rumblepad out of it. Does KB+M work well for this?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2008
    What, are we still not mentioning the other thing, Mech?

Brolo on
    edited September 2008

But I made the horrible mistake of trying to play this with a gamepad. Then I remembered just how many key combinations a "simulator" game requires.

I'm going to keyboard it up for this, and leave the Rumblepad out of it. Does KB+M work well for this?

Don't need the mouse at all. Use the keypad to control your ship.

Brolo on
    edited September 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

THAT thing? Still waiting on approval.

EDIT: And to echo Rolo, many players prefer just keyboard control, as the mouse sensitivity in FS2 is horribly low. If you have a trackball, however, this problem is mitigated.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008

Don't need the mouse at all. Use the keypad to control your ship.

Yeah, I did much better as soon as I gave up on the gamepad. Was just wondering if mouse was an improvement, or if I should just kick it old-school Descent style.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

THAT thing? Still waiting on approval.

EDIT: And to echo Rolo, many players prefer just keyboard control, as the mouse sensitivity in FS2 is horribly low. If you have a trackball, however, this problem is mitigated.

I saw an option to up the sensitivity in the menu. I'll give it a shot, but my instincts after last night say that I want to be as close as possible to as many buttons as possible, and that means keyboarding.

Edit - We're not supposed to mention the "Holy shitfuck, that was easy" way to get FS2_Open?

Um. Oops.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    Until I get confirmation from the mods, no, you can't.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I know that now.

I didn't know that when I posted it in another thread.

Which has now been edited out.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    But anyhow, I've never played this game before. Can you play the single-player campaign in multiplayer mode, with felllow PAers as wingmen?

If so, I'd totally be down for that.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited September 2008
    Yes, but it's pretty difficult to get going. And you don't get to see the animated scenes which basically set up the situation a whole lot better than plain VA alone.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Balls.

I'd still be game for some general co-op mayhem. Computer AI is cool and all, but having real pilots beside you = better, I wager.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought this off GoG today and installed the SCP. It runs and everything (looks real nice also), but is the asteroid on the fifth mission (the one with cargo that can't be scanned) not appearing a glitch in retail or something from the SCP?

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    No clue.

Probably SCP. Are we talking the
    NTF Installation

or just asteroids in general?

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Apparently the mission is supposed to take place in a asteroid belt and I saw none so I'm assuming I can's see any asteroids at all.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    Definitely SCP related.

What EXE/Media VP set are you using?

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    The 3.6.9 EXE and the 3.6.8 Zeta MVPs.

DualEdge on
    edited September 2008
    I enabled the jpg/tga textures flag and the asteroids show up. I didn't play around, but are the jpg/tga textures lower quality textures?

DualEdge on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How does one go about finishing the first mission you have in Freespace 2 where you pilot Vasudan fighters? That super capital ship that shows up in the end always keeps shooting me with orange beams that are bigger than me, no matter how fast I try to book it from the place after protecting the Tetenen.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    I enabled the jpg/tga textures flag and the asteroids show up. I didn't play around, but are the jpg/tga textures lower quality textures?

Negative, they're higher res textures, I think. Better than NO textures, at any rate.

Also, for game help, please use spoilers and give me mission names. Because it's BEEN AWHILE.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Damnit now I'll have to make a multiplayer guide thing. I can't host, so we'd need to find someone who COULD.

And we can't join games that are already running.

MechMantis on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Screw it, I'm reinstalling.

You had better put that guide together quickly, MechMantis. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited September 2008
    Done.

EDIT: If you finish up the guide and want to try to set up a game, I'll be in the G&T Vent server.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Soon as this finishes setting up, I'm all for trying it out.

(I just need to remember how to play first...frak.)

Hylianbunny on
    edited September 2008
    I'm rusty as hell, too, don't feel bad. But I hope someone can host, because I can't.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Think I'll run through the tutorial first to get a handle on the controls again, and then I can try hosting.

Still going to be a bit though, working on the install.

Hylianbunny on
    edited September 2008
    At least get in Vent so the Game On channel I have stolen looks legitimate.

MechMantis on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oh god i was going to play Spore this weekend. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited September 2008
    Sabotaged it.

You can make FS2 ships in Spore if you try hard enough! :D

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, this is great. I am trying to use the beta vps and I'm not seeing an option for normal mapping, but the game is still beautiful and a blast. I'm trying to find a flightstick somewhere locally, but so far no dice. Love this game! <3 you Mech.

tendoboy101 on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, this is great. I am trying to use the beta vps and I'm not seeing an option for normal mapping, but the game is still beautiful and a blast. I'm trying to find a flightstick somewhere locally, but so far no dice. Love this game! <3 you Mech.

The 3.6.10 beta builds in here will have normal map support; I believe I'm using the rev. 4712 build myself at the moment - I haven't tested out the newer ones yet.

As for flightsticks...I've heard good things about the Saitek Cyborg Evo, although I don't have personal experience - am using a X52 Pro myself after upgrading from my semi-ancient X36, and can certainly attest to Saitek making good stuff.

Glocjt on
    edited September 2008
    I'm using a Logitech Attack 3, and it's starting to show it's age. Honestly, I'm having trouble on the higher difficulties due to me not being able to aim properly. Every so often, it just loses all sensitivity when turning right, so I become a SLUG.

This of course is BAD.

And yes, you DO NEED A 3.6.10 EXE TO PROPERLY USE THE 3.6.10 BETA VPS!! You CAN use them on a 3.6.9 EXE but it sometimes causes problems. See: The Loki.

MechMantis on
    edited September 2008
    So I have the launcher set to the 3.6.10 exe, all the beta vps are placed into the mediavp folder, and the launcher pointed to the media vp folder...still no options for normal mapping. I used the links provided in the op.

That Saitek joystick is nice, might order that this evening.

tendoboy101 on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. It is amazing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm still heartbroken about the fact that the chance for a Freespace sequel is pretty much zero. Hell, the chance that the space sim genre gets a revival is pretty much a hopeless cause..

Silpheed on