As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did you know McCain was a POW? [Obama Thread]

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bitch is CRAZY

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Marathon wrote: »
    Callius wrote: »
    Has anyone pointed out to her that the Scripture states that no one will know when Jesus comes?

So, if she "knows" he's coming in her lifetime... he isn't. QED motherfucker.

Well scripture also has Jesus telling his followers that he'll be coming back during their lifetime.

so....

There are two problems with that.

The first is that it forces an eschatological context to passages that don't bear it naturally. Many of the frequently cited passages appear, in context, to refer to the Resurrection, Transfiguration, Glorification, or Ascension.

The second is that Greek "γενεα" is much broader than the English "generation". It also commonly refers to race or nation, more similar to the English "genus". The precise meaning depends on context, and the context isn't clear here- it could just as easily reference the human race or the Jewish people in the passages that refer to "this generation" in the NIV. English doesn't have an exact equivalent. Notably, both of these rough equivalents are derived from γενεα.

Some citations depend on the former error, others the latter. Some may involve both, depending on interpretation. If you wish to cite specific passages, I will explain in more detail.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some citations depend on the former error, others the latter. Some may involve both, depending on interpretation. If you wish to cite specific passages, I will explain in more detail.

27But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Seems pretty clear to me. This is from the King James Version in case you are wondering.

Marathon on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LOL, the King James was good enough for Peter and good enough for Paul so it is good enough for me! (It is probably the worst translation of the Bible.)

GRMike on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the wook wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    so what are you guys gonna do if mccain wins

pray to god he survives all 4 years

if praying to god is a thing that works, i don't think you can defeat sarah palin at it

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    GRMike wrote: »
    LOL, the King James was good enough for Peter and good enough for Paul so it is good enough for me! (It is probably the worst translation of the Bible.)

Ok, how about we try a few more versions.
    International Standard Version (©2008)
    I tell you with certainty, some people who are standing here will not experience death until they see the kingdom of God."

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    "I can guarantee this truth: Some people who are standing here will not die until they see the kingdom of God."

King James Bible
    But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

American King James Version
    But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

American Standard Version
    But I tell you of a truth, There are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Bible in Basic English
    But truly I say to you, Some of those who are here now will have no taste of death till they see the kingdom of God.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    But I tell you of a truth: There are some standing here that shall not taste death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Darby Bible Translation
    But I say unto you of a truth, There are some of those standing here who shall not taste death until they shall have seen the kingdom of God.

English Revised Version
    But I tell you of a truth, There be some of them that stand here, which shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Webster's Bible Translation
    But I tell you in truth, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God.

Weymouth New Testament
    I tell you truly that there are some of those who stand here who will certainly not taste death till they have seen the Kingdom of God."

World English Bible
    But I tell you the truth: There are some of those who stand here, who will in no way taste of death, until they see the Kingdom of God."

Young's Literal Translation
    and I say to you, truly, there are certain of those here standing, who shall not taste of death till they may see the reign of God.'

Better?

Marathon on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes- cute, but you still aren't taking into account the original Greek like fuzz is. The problem with reading the Bible and just taking out of it what you think you get from the direct translation is missing all of the double and triple meanings of some Greek and Hebrew words.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "The Kingdom of God" is very ambiguous. It usually refers to heaven, and by extension divine authority in general. It is only used in scripture in an eschatological contexts with addition qualifiers.

This passage follows Peter's confession of Christ and precedes the Transfiguration. Within context, it clearly refers to Christs divine authority on earth, which began temporally and formally when God claimed Jesus as his son and granted him His authority on the mountain.

Read in context, this passage says nothing about eschatology.

The King James isn't bad, but it's in 17th century English, which is very different from 21st. You can screw things up if you try to attach the 21st century meanings to things.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    TrellTrell __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    AN ARGUMENT ABOUT BIBLE SEMANTICS

Trell on
    ori's modding is stupid and arbitrary and based on no actual rule system but rather wind patterns and astrology.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    HOW FUCKING INTRIGUING.

Trell on
    ori's modding is stupid and arbitrary and based on no actual rule system but rather wind patterns and astrology.
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has anyone pointed out to her that the Scripture states that no one will know when Jesus comes?

Well scripture also has Jesus telling his followers that he'll be coming back during their lifetime.

so....

The first is that it forces an eschatological context to passages that don't bear it naturally. Many of the frequently cited passages appear, in context, to refer to the Resurrection, Transfiguration, Glorification, or Ascension.

The second is that Greek "γενεα" is much broader than the English "generation". It also commonly refers to race or nation, more similar to the English "genus". The precise meaning depends on context, and the context isn't clear here- it could just as easily reference the human race or the Jewish people in the passages that refer to "this generation" in the NIV. English doesn't have an exact equivalent. Notably, both of these rough equivalents are derived from γενεα.

haha you said "schat"

Defender on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trell wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    What exactly has McCain done that's gone too far? The way I see it he's fallen well short of the swift boat ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3sVPN5f62w&feature=related

Hahah, yes.

Have you guys also seen the one on his website (Don't know if it's still up) that indirectly calls Obama a Hippie then shows younger Soldier McCain on a military Helicopter?

I'll try to wrangle that one up.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Or a discussion on one of the worlds oldest texts.

GRMike on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man, fuck eschatology

that lost me the san diego county spelling bee back in eighth grade

if I had just got that word, then I would have got at least second place, if not first

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes- cute, but you still aren't taking into account the original Greek like fuzz is. The problem with reading the Bible and just taking out of it what you think you get from the direct translation is missing all of the double and triple meanings of some Greek and Hebrew words.

Why should I have to be the one who takes into account the other possible meanings from the original Greek? Given the amount of time that this passage has been around and the number of people that read it as it is and find it confusing shouldn't the proper corrections have been made yet to clear up these mistranslations? Why is it that every one of those other passages I posted all say essentially the same thing, even though they come from different versions of the bible?

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The issue here isn't the original language. "Kingdom of God" clearly conveys the meaning of the original Greek. The issue is applying a specialized context without any indication that that is the context intended. It's something that people do a lot when they read a portion of something out of context, but is very difficult to do without intent when a passage is read naturally.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck you trell

that seems rather uncalled for

Trell on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Why should I have to be the one who takes into account the other possible meanings from the original Greek? Given the amount of time that this passage has been around and the number of people that read it as it is and find it confusing shouldn't the proper corrections have been made yet to clear up these mistranslations? Why is it that every one of those other passages I posted all say essentially the same thing, even though they come from different versions of the bible?

It's not a mistranslation. It's a perfectly acceptable one.

While it doesn't come up in this case, the word "γενεα", which causes a lot of confusion in other, similar passages, has no real English equivalent. "Generation" is the closest, least interpretive solution that doesn't make the passage near unreadable.

You only posted one passage, in multiple translations. They actually vary quite a bit as translations go. The meaning is the same between all of them because there aren't any major controversies in the meaning of the Greek in those passages.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    fuck you trell

orikaeshigitae more like origayshitguy

Trell on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Defender wrote: »

so....

haha you said "schat"

It's like the best possible combination of "scat" and "shat".

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a feeling that when Palin speaks about the Bible, she's not taking into account the subtleties of the greek language.

Khavall on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    fuck you trell

orikaeshigitae more like origayshitguy

retroactive fuck you

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is this really how we are going to end this topic? How about that Cindy McCain? I'd fuck her.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    how is it retroactive you already said that to me?

I mean it could be a second, also active "fuck you"

that'd make sense.

I don't think you're taking into account the intricacies of the original greek version of your post.

Trell on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this really how we are going to end this topic? How about that Cindy McCain? I'd fuck her.

You know the insides of that thing have been rubbed by John McCain's dick and plastered with his semen, right?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    PALIN IS ONE SEXXXY HAAAAAAAAACKEY MAAAAAAHM

THANKS BUT NOOH THANKS ON THAT BRIDGE TO NOOHWHERE

Trell on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God I wish she would say anything new

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    YOOH NOOH WHAT THEY SEY IS THAH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HAAAHCKY MAAHM AND A PITBOOL IS?

LIPSTICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trell on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What he means is keep going

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    no that's not what I meant at all what are you doing

Ranx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Defender wrote: »

You know the insides of that thing have been rubbed by John McCain's dick and plastered with his semen, right?

Does she bathe?

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I just want to kill this thread because a fucking debate over translations of the bible is the most trite and boring thing I can imagine.

Trell on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ranx wrote: »
    stop that

HEY RANX

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No guys keep going he loves it.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trell that is retarded. You know people just continue posts into the next iteration of the thread.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    stop that

HEY RANX

HI MEISSNERD

Ranx on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    stop that

HEY RANX

HI MEISSNERD

WHAAAATS THAAAA DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AAAAHHH PIITTTBOOOOLLL ANNNNDDD AAAAA HAAAACKEEEYYY MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHMMMMM

THANKS, BUT NO THANKS

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Trell that is retarded. You know people just continue posts into the next iteration of the thread.

but I'd at least try to give it an effort

Trell on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    stop that

HEY RANX

HI MEISSNERD

WHAAAATS THAAAA DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AAAAHHH PIITTTBOOOOLLL ANNNNDDD AAAAA HAAAACKEEEYYY MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHMMMMM

THANKS, BUT NO THANKS

keep going I'm almost there

Ranx on
This discussion has been closed.