As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Still nice

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Because McCain won't make him pay higher taxes. Something you can go on, but apparently, that's all Deacon has to go on, so he should pretty much stop right there.

I realize it would be easier for you if that were true, but I've made several detailed posts discussing my support of McCain's general worldview, specific issues such as domestic security and abortion, reasons why the fundamental character of a potential McCain administration would be different from Bush's, etc.

I probably should never have mentioned the money, since it plays into your pre-existing "entitled Republican fatcat" bias (even though I'm black and don't have a college degree).

Hey at least you were honest about being a fatcat :P

I'm not. I'm just pro-Corporate American. And the anti-Corporate rhetoric that is constantly spun by the Democrats, if turned into policy, could significantly hamper the future prosperity of American.

Oh yeah, good point. You certainly wouldn't want to vote for a candidate whose party hampered the future prosperity of the United States or advocates policies that are likely to do so. I mean, that'd be crazy!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Politico wrote:
    And the reportage from the scene does suggest that the crowds are, still, coming for the bottom of the ticket. O. Kay Henderson reports that the rally began with chants of "We want Sarah.

"I look up, about five minutes into McCain's address and see a steady stream of people walking out of the rally. They just came to see Palin apparently," she writes.

Fuck me sideways, I simply do not understand these people. At all.

I'm really looking forward to her running in 2012. Possibly against Huckabee and Romney.

I feel that Joan of Arc should play a symbolic role there somehow.

Speaker on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    At what point will it be okay to just start lobbing obscenities at this ironzerg fellow

Rust on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ACH! MEIN 401(K)!

Do we have a market crash thread?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    :lol:

Congratulations. You have successfully cobbled together a justification completely immune to reason.

And this is where I draw the line in this discussion, because for some reason, it seems that I have to convince you that all my values and beliefs are perfectly valid relative to how you frame yours, otherwise I'm just a "fucking idiot" who has "no clue about anything", and is just another "dumb shit" republican.

If you want to disagree with my reasons, that's completely valid.

But to totally disregards those because they don't fit within the framework of what you believe? What are you really trying to prove?
    Judging from our last conversation, your "values and beliefs" are essentially:

• Corporations are the lifeblood of America and deserve more respect than individual workers
    • Government regulation—possibly even including antitrust regulation—is inherently bad
    • We desperately need to "win" Iraq, meaning that we need to stay until we can be sure we'll never have to stay there again, or something.

You are expected to defend your values and beliefs on this forum. "I believe in it so leave me alone!" is not an effective argument for anything.

Qingu on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    Politico wrote:
    And the reportage from the scene does suggest that the crowds are, still, coming for the bottom of the ticket. O. Kay Henderson reports that the rally began with chants of "We want Sarah.

"I look up, about five minutes into McCain's address and see a steady stream of people walking out of the rally. They just came to see Palin apparently," she writes.

I'm really looking forward to her running in 2012. Possibly against Huckabee and Romney.

Sorry I'm booked that year

Medopine on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008

Congratulations. You have successfully cobbled together a justification completely immune to reason.

But to totally disregards those because they don't fit within the framework of what you believe? What are you really trying to prove?

You showed us that Obama has said untrue things. We pointed out that McCain lies out his ass way more. You defended this as, "Well, Obama lies about the things I care about."

As I said, that's a debate stopper right there. Sure, McCain is blinded by the smoke from his trouser conflagration, but on any given McCain lie, it's just not on an issue you care about. End of discussion.

So yeah, tangent over. Well played.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Not all lies are created equal.

Which is exactly my point.
    ...No it's not. Your point has been Obama is worse (for what reason I don't know why) even though his lies are less malicious.

I'm not sure anyone said that.

Other than you, of course. :P

cite please

With pleasure..

You're claiming Obama is more of a hypocrite because his campaign has done, at worst, exactly the same thing McCain's campaign has done.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Because McCain won't make him pay higher taxes. Something you can go on, but apparently, that's all Deacon has to go on, so he should pretty much stop right there.

I realize it would be easier for you if that were true, but I've made several detailed posts discussing my support of McCain's general worldview, specific issues such as domestic security and abortion, reasons why the fundamental character of a potential McCain administration would be different from Bush's, etc.

I probably should never have mentioned the money, since it plays into your pre-existing "entitled Republican fatcat" bias (even though I'm black and don't have a college degree).

I'm not. I'm just pro-Corporate American. And the anti-Corporate rhetoric that is constantly spun by the Democrats, if turned into policy, could significantly hamper the future prosperity of American.

As far as I can tell, the pro-Corporate rhetoric hasn't done a whole lot for the prosperity of America so far.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Politico wrote:

She'd do well to run Huckabee as a veep and simply hammer the populist angle over and over and over.

Lord, I weep for the future of this nation.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Catching up and bludotting:
    Well, it's all about white privilege:
    For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.
    • White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a “light” burden.
    Oh my god, best unintentional joke ever.
    The 'not using a strong password' is something done by just about everyone, it's basically a non-issue.

The 'using personal email as a way to get around record keeping requirements' is a very good argument against her being a candidate.
    Yes, this.

Couscous wrote: »
    http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/17/the-story-behind-the-palin-e-mail-hacking/
    rubico 09/17/08(Wed)12:57:22 No.85782652
    Then the white knight fucker came along, and did it in for everyone, I trusted /b/ with that email password, I had gotten done what I could do well, then passed the torch , all to be let down by the douchebaggery, good job /b/, this is why we cant have nice things
    Which just goes to show that even the most brilliant websearchers can be fucking idiots.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe that should be the role of the parents, and not the government.
    Why?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    At what point will it be okay to just start lobbing obscenities at this ironzerg fellow

At the point you wish to start pulling infractions.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jebu wrote: »
    Which is why the parents have the option to opt their child out of the sex education if they'd rather take care of it themselves.

So then if I opt out of the public school system in general, then I should receive a credit voucher for the private education I chose to give my kid, right?

Sorry, but the equivalent in this analogy would be home schooling.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Which is why the parents have the option to opt their child out of the sex education if they'd rather take care of it themselves.

So then if I opt out of the public school system in general, then I should receive a credit voucher for the private education I chose to give my kid, right?

Yeah, right after I opt out of road maintenance provided by the government and get private voucher for my share of the money spent on it.

Speaker on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This is a whole different argument.

Stick to the original bill, please.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Why?

Because ewww sex!!!

Medopine on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008

As opposed to letting massive corporations run roughshot without regulations until the taxpayers cough up hundreds of billions to buy them out?

I dunno if you realize this, but we just purchased a socialized insurance and banking system in the past month. Under a conservative administration, born of rules and deregulations that were conjured up during a republican run house and senate that have now come to roost.

And if you so much as bring up the fact that the dems control the hill now when the crisis happened and disregard the entire concept of inertia...

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Politico wrote:

She'd do well to run Huckabee as a veep and simply hammer the populist angle over and over and over.

Lord, I weep for the future of this nation.

I am uncertain that Huckabee wants to be anyone's veep.

Speaker on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, right after I opt out of road maintenance provided by the government and get private voucher for my share of the money spent on it.

I think the Republicans should just change their party platform to: "Tragedy of the Commons: It's a Good Thing!"

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Also, not to beat the moral equivalency horse to death again, but come on, iron. The ad basically paints Obama as some kind of pedo, which is so far beyond the pale that it's hard for me to believe you can compare it to the other Obama ads.

Sorry, but I never read into the pedophilia vibe from that ad. I assume you're talking about the Kindergarten one?

The ad was trying to draw a line in the ground for voters who are against state sponsored, sex education being taught in public schools.

If you're not for schools teaching sex education, then I'm sorry, but you're either a naive dreamer who thinks the world should be perfect, or you support teenagers getting pregnant when their hormones take over.

Hence the first of the two options I presented. It's incredibly naive to believe that all parents are able and willing to have The Talk with their kids, as wonderful as that scenario would be, and it should be a matter of public interest to make sure all teenagers learn certain things to keep teen pregnancies down.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This has been bugging me for a while.

America. I don't know why you're doing it, but it's weird. Please stop.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited September 2008

At the point you wish to start pulling infractions.

October fifth, then. Crackerjack!

Rust on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Morgan Stanley's the next domino to fall. Wachovia's going to slurp them up.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Are you an American, or are you an American't??

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is all of this bank consolidation going to result in some sort of monopolization, or will the economic circumstances keep that from being feasible?

Rust on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Oops! Typo.

You're right. That typo complete invalidates anything I stand for.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the pro-Corporate rhetoric hasn't done a whole lot for the prosperity of America so far.

You have a very prosperous failing economy.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Oops! Typo.

He didn't even say that. This is why we can't have nice things.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

And this is where I draw the line in this discussion, because for some reason, it seems that I have to convince you that all my values and beliefs are perfectly valid relative to how you frame yours, otherwise I'm just a "fucking idiot" who has "no clue about anything", and is just another "dumb shit" republican.

If you want to disagree with my reasons, that's completely valid.

We don't even know what your reasons are. All I've seen you do is complain about Obama and what he's said.
    Actually, zerg has committed to record his reasons for supporting McCain, as has Deacon. Because these threads move so fast, a LOT of people have missed them, and some have glossed over them.

Tach on
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    With pleasure..

You're claiming Obama is more of a hypocrite because his campaign has done, at worst, exactly the same thing McCain's campaign has done.

Technically I said "more vulnerable to claims of hypocrisy". Meaning, you can apply the "hypocrite" label to him with less airtight evidence. So, really, I never implied he was worse than McCain.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Narian wrote: »

Really? I hate to break it to you, but despite the recent troubles, America is still the most prosperous country in the world....

ironzerg on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wasn't there for it, but I didn't like it then.. but whooo-eee! Do I loves it now!
    McCain’s determination to take discriminatory employers “to court” sure would come as a surprise to Lilly Ledbetter, the woman who sued Goodyear Tire for discrimination after she was paid less than her male coworkers for nearly twenty years. The Supreme Court dismissed her case because she had not filed it within 180 days of her very first discriminatory paycheck — despite the fact she had no idea she was being paid less.

Adding to McCain’s long history of opposing equal pay, he skipped the vote that would have allowed Ledbetter to sue, explaining he opposed the bill because it “opens us up to lawsuits for all kinds of problems.”

To recap: McCain opposed a bill that would have made it easier for women to sue over pay discrimination. Perhaps what he meant was that he’ll “take ‘em to court” only “in concept.”

So Iron.. you don't like more litigation.. but apparently Senator McCain is now calling for it after first opposing it.

What gives?

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Really? I hate to break it to you, but despite the recent troubles, America is still the most prosperous country in the world....

NNNNGGGGGHHHHHH

If someone can make a rational argument against this then do it quickly and maybe pull a rabbit out of a hat afterwards because it makes you a fucking magician.

Rust on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is all of this bank consolidation going to result in some sort of monopolization, or will the economic circumstances keep that from being feasible?
    The Supreme Court recently (well, a couple years back, now)made it really hard to bring an antitrust suit...so yeah it is entirely possible.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Absolutely. AND for every day that the fire department doesn't come to your house, you get a tax rebate added to your next return.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just felt like chiming in on the long-winded "Obama is a hypocrite!" argument.

Yes, Obama's campaign has made some poor choices. I do not, however, think that 100% of that can be placed on Obama's shoulders as his responsibility. Yes, his little bit of "I approve this message" is tacked onto the end, but it isn't personalized for each and every ad. It is entirely plausible that they gave him a brief idea of what the ad would entail rather than showing him a finished product, and he approved the overall theme of the ad but not the details. The man has a lot of shit on his plate, after all.

However, even if you give McCain the same leeway, it actually looks worse for him, because he defends some of his really fucked ads, and doesn't fire people who are blatantly lying and sticking his name to it.

In Obama's case, yes, some of the ads are slightly downer-ish (and hopefully we've seen the last of them), but they aren't to the point that I'd expect Obama to stand up and make a statement that he actually doesn't approve the message, because they weren't so bad as to do any real damage to his image.

Obama is human, and he is, whether we like it or not, part of a campaign made up of a lot of people. I still believe he is an awesome guy and will do great things for this nation. And a few "negative" ads won't change that opinion. If Obama himself starts actually starts adding the worst parts to his speeches (as McCain and Palin have done), then I'd be a lot more inclined to agree that it's a more serious issue.

However, as it is, while I may not like the need for his campaign to take the cheap shots, I still honestly believe that the man at the center of it all really is the change I have been waiting for.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    Actually, zerg has committed to record his reasons for supporting McCain, as has Deacon. Because these threads move so fast, a LOT of people have missed them, and some have glossed over them.
    Thanks for the help.

It just seems every time a McCain supporter calls something out on Obama, the discussion devolves into a, "Oh yeah, well why don't you just point on in detail, exactly why you support McCain".

And when we don't, the conversation further devolves into a series of swearing and personal attacks.

I don't want to have to rehash my complete stance on McCain and why I support him over Obama every single time I call Obama and his campaign out on something.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Oops! Typo.

The only reason I brought it up is that you've done it at least thirty times over the past week. It's not a typo, it's a bad habit that makes me wonder why you consistently can't use the word 'America' properly.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I think thats a rather subjective argument.

This random link from the UK says we're 24th.

Are you going to dispute that the Vatican is more prosperous? C'mon. :lol:

Astraphobia on
This discussion has been closed.