As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

American Presidency: Still nice

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

i really doubt its 90%.... maybe something like 60%.

if you have any actual data on people who use computers as part of their daily lives thatd be nice.

http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/computer.html

Most recent solid information I could find was from 2003 for people who had a computer in their homes. It was 62%, up from 56% in 2001. Pretty decent jump, and it 5 years, it has surely climbed further.

Also, since it's just people who OWN a computer, that doesn't really calculate people who might use one often at work, but not have one in the household.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921872.html has some numbers in the lower 70 percentile, but I haven't actually verified anything there. Still, that info was also from 4 years ago, so take that as you will.

ok cool, im not gonna debate but just know that having a computer in your house doesnt mean you use it. in a family of mom/dad/13 year old son with 1 computer who is most likely using it?

still 60% "feels" right to me.

Haha yeah ok.

Actually, gonna go ahead and flesh that out a bit more. That 13 year old applied to that census question... Yeah, he's 18 now. I can assure that he will still use computers even though he is an adult now. The children he has will have computers integrated further into their lives.

well yeah but the 13 year old jock is also 18 now... and he beats up those computer nerds

all in all having a computer in your house doesnt mean you use it but it does ignore people at work so it probably balances out.

Dunadan019 on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »
    Continuing to point out how Obama isn't living up to an arbitrary standard that we feel doesn't exist is more tilting at windmills than effective argument.

Simply because you don't feel they exist doesn't invalidate the argument.
    It does for us. You think that we should have the same standard as you, no? We don't, therefore we're as big of hypocrites as he is, right?
    If you thought all the criticism of Obama was valid, then I highly doubt you'd be supporting him.
    This statement, I'm not sure how to interpret. There are valid criticisms of Obama, and there are some that are completely ludicrous. The valid ones I can nod my head to, even if I don't agree with them. The others, I scoff at. However, I'm sure the same goes for you- if you thought all the criticism of McCain were valid, I'm sure you'd dump his ass, too.
    But you're doing exactly what I'm talking about.

You don't agree with me. Therefore, my argument must be invalid.
    I don't think your point is invalid. I just think that you're holding Obama to a standard that was manufactured specifically to make him look like a hypocrite. Has Obama been negative? Yes. Has that negativity been false? No. Has he crossed the line he said he wouldn't? Only to illustrate a larger point.

Does this make Obama a hypocrite? Eye of the beholder.

Can the same be said of the McCain campaign, or of McCain himself?

Tach on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Sal in poltical limbo

never thought I'd see the day :)

I've been in limbo since the convention

How are people just now still hearing about this
    Wait, were you a former Republican? And are you leaning towards Obama now?

Do ... I owe you cookies?

I never got cookies from you. Where are my cookies?
    Who the hell are you?

Sorry, I thought this was some general policy of yours to send cookies to former Republicans who are now for Obama.

I just wanted what was rightfully mine.

Hedgethorn on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Edit: does anyone know if this is illegal?

If you're not affiliated with the party you're "bribing" for, maybe. Change to "No Preference" on your voter registration and start sending cookies.

Octoparrot on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Barack is clearly having a good time this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcpr0XX3nw

We are now officially moving towards his campaign seeking to make the idea of McCain's candidacy a joke.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What if you were a former communist who is now voting for Obama?

(Idly wondering if kakos would get some cookies.)

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

[u rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcpr0XX3nw[/url]

We are now officially moving towards his campaign seeking to make the idea of McCain's candidacy a joke.

I'm at work, anyone mind quoting whatever the good line(s) is/are?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some MSNBC-type person just said Wisconsin's easier than Michigan for McCain to swipe.

Do I hear fiddles?
    McCain went up to 'Sconsin, he was looking for a state to steal.
    He was in a bind 'cos he was way behind: he was willin' to make a deal.
    When he came across this young man jawin' on a phone and playin' it hot.
    And McCain jumped upon a maple stump and said: "Boy let me tell you what:
    "I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a campaigner too.
    "And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
    "Now you run a pretty good campaign, boy, but give McCain his due:
    "I bet an electoral slate against your state, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
    The boy said: "My name's Gosling and it might be a sin,
    "But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I believe someone was requesting an Obama attack ad on McCain's history of supporting privatizing Social Security?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9GZUtCgPc

Danke.

Schrodinger on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Ooh I got a call from Obama for America asking for donations

I just did $25 for an event I'm going to tonight but I was all fuck it I'll do $25 more

Mostly cause I like to make the people working the phones feel good - that job can't be very fun, though I imagine calling people that have already donated isn't too bad

EDIT: Also he had a great line. I said I was planning on doing another donation next month and he was all "but if we get it too late it's just balloons and confetti money!"

Medopine on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    Some MSNBC-type person just said Wisconsin's easier than Michigan for McCain to swipe.

Do I hear fiddles?
    "I bet an electoral slate against your state, 'cos I think I'm better than you."
    "But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret, 'cos I'm the best that's ever been."

Oh crap I want to report this for awesome so badly but it's way too esoteric to pass muster.

Rust on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In fairness, Americans do whine a lot

Salvation122 on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »

Do I hear fiddles?

Oh crap I want to report this for awesome so badly but it's way too esoteric to pass muster.
    Oh, I don't think so. Report'd.

Tach on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Do I hear fiddles?

:!:

AWESOME

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    Litejedi wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, the pro-Corporate rhetoric hasn't done a whole lot for the prosperity of America so far.

You have a very prosperous failing economy.

Really? I hate to break it to you, but despite the recent troubles, America is still the most prosperous country in the world....

I think it would be more accurate to say we have the highest standard of living in the world.

Highest infant mortality rate.

Highest incarceration rate.

One of the highest obesity rates.

Once again.. pretty much a subjective argument for how you define "prosperity" or the like. This isn't Zimbabwe.. but we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking we're a stones throw from Utopia here.

Infant mortality rate actually occurs because of better care for premature births, and incarceration is due mostly to longer average sentencing. One is due to statistical weirdness, the other is (in no small part) because of the federal system of government. Neither are really representative of quality of life.

I don't know, I think having 1/100 Americans in some form of the prison system is pretty indicative of this country's quality of life, it isn't just because we have harsher sentences. I mean anyway you look at it, our legal system is an absolute tragedy and yet no one on either side will discuss it. Prison reforms seem to be a political dead mans zone, and yet our jails are universally terribly managed and the problems continue to get worse. Americans tend to be very self righteous in that respect, that all criminals "get what they deserve," while internationally they are able to treat criminals with more respect and look upon our system with horror.

StarZapper on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Do I hear fiddles?

If that's original, then I will.

Thetheroo on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

"John McCain says he is angry at Wall Street. He is so angry he's going to give them $200 million in tax breaks. He's going to really shake things up."

"As chairman of the Commerce Committee, John McCain says he had oversight over the whole economy. Well, I say to John McCain: 'Good job.'"

"I'm not making this up. You can't make this up. It's like a Saturday Night Live routine."

"John McCain's answer to the economic crisis is this: a commission. A commission. That's Washington speak for, 'We'll get back to you.'"

Hedgethorn on
    edited September 2008
    im kinda surprised that we can be in a "poor economic state" and people can still donate to political campaigns....

shouldn't you be saving or spending or.... getting something for your money?

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2008
    I believe someone was requesting an Obama attack ad on McCain's history of supporting privatizing Social Security?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9GZUtCgPc

Danke.

Privatizing social security is probably the only way we'll be able to keep it solvent without massively cutting benefits.

Salvation122 on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    im kinda surprised that we can be in a "poor economic state" and people can still donate to political campaigns....

We're getting a better America.

:P

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited September 2008

Are you presuming to know anything, anything at all about my financial state right now?

Also, I'm a worker. My fundamentalness is still strong baby!

Medopine on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcpr0XX3nw

Totally a "suit coat off" speech.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2008
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Infant mortality rate actually occurs because of better care for premature births, and incarceration is due mostly to longer average sentencing. One is due to statistical weirdness, the other is (in no small part) because of the federal system of government. Neither are really representative of quality of life.

I don't know, I think having 1/100 Americans in some form of the prison system is pretty indicative of this country's quality of life, it isn't just because we have harsher sentences. I mean anyway you look at it, our legal system is an absolute tragedy and yet no one on either side will discuss it. Prison reforms seem to be a political dead mans zone, and yet our jails are universally terribly managed and the problems continue to get worse. Americans tend to be very self righteous in that respect, that all criminals "get what they deserve," while internationally they are able to treat criminals with more respect and look upon our system with horror.

How did Biden vote on minimum sentencing stuff for drug crimes? I ask because I know he was a huge part of the drug laws that went in place under Reagan (and in fact may have written the minimum statutes), and because that's the single largest contributing factor to high incarceration rates.

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2008

good to know that money gets someone elected president.

bill gates for 2012!

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2008

Some of us think the $50 investment now will pay off down the road by preventing future unnecessary wars and restoring economic balance.

Hedgethorn on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Privatizing social security is probably the only way we'll be able to keep it solvent without massively cutting benefits.
    Or we can start taxing rich people for it as well.

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9GZUtCgPc[url][/url]

Danke.

Privatizing social security might wind up massively cutting benefits, at least for the poor fools who wish to retire in the middle of a market crash.

Hedgethorn on
    edited September 2008

bill gates for 2012!

You're joking right now, right?

Medopine on
    edited September 2008

At which point we fundamentally alter the system from a state-mandated pension plan to more wealth-redistribution. Privatizing it, if the Democrats can knock off the MARKETS ARE EVIL crap they're often fond of, would offer a far higher ROI.

Salvation122 on
    edited September 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9GZUtCgPc[url][/url]

Danke.

Privatizing social security might wind up massively cutting benefits, at least for the poor fools who wish to retire in the middle of a market crash.

Markets have out-performed Social Security always and without exception over any given forty-year span.

Salvation122 on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

At which point we fundamentally alter the system from a state-mandated pension plan to more wealth-redistribution. Privatizing it, if the Democrats can knock off the MARKETS ARE EVIL crap they're often fond of, would offer a far higher ROI.

I'd prefer the loving arms of socialism over the firm (and greased) hand of the free market any day. :P

Rust on
    edited September 2008

Some of us think the $50 investment now will pay off down the road by preventing future unnecessary wars and restoring economic balance.

the rest of us think that 50 bucks means nothing to a multi million dollar campaign where all the extra money gets you is an extra attack add.

but maybe you should pay 50 bucks for a political ad

Dunadan019 on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You don't see Obama answering (unrelated) questions with: "I'm black and I grew up with a struggling family and a single Mom who died and left me to be raised by my Grandparents" but you do see an awful lot of McCain answering (unrelated) questions with: "I was a P.O.W. for 5 years."

And the irony there is that Obama has been accused of being an "elitist" by people with so much money that there are illuminati conspiracy theories about him. Going over his background would be a totally relevant talking point.

McCain uses the POW card for things like "I didn't have a house while I was a POW." Shouldn't that make you appreciate the number of houses you have even more?

Schrodinger on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

"John McCain says he is angry at Wall Street. He is so angry he's going to give them $200 million in tax breaks. He's going to really shake things up."

"As chairman of the Commerce Committee, John McCain says he had oversight over the whole economy. Well, I say to John McCain: 'Good job.'"

"I'm not making this up. You can't make this up. It's like a Saturday Night Live routine."

"John McCain's answer to the economic crisis is this: a commission. A commission. That's Washington speak for, 'We'll get back to you.'"

Heh, good stuff. Thanks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2008

I'd prefer the loving arms of socialism over the firm (and greased) hand of the free market any day. :P

I fail to see how government-managed, mandatory investment in corporations is not "socialism." It's actually far more socialist than straight wealth-redistribution, and on top of it offers higher pay-outs.

Salvation122 on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

the rest of us think that 50 bucks means nothing to a multi million dollar campaign where all the extra money gets you is an extra attack add.

You don't have any idea how Obama's campaign raises money, do you?

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    edited September 2008

Are you aware of the number of small amount donors that are funding Obama's campaign right now

Medopine on
    edited September 2008

Collective action. If none of us pays $50, there is no multi-million dollar campaign.

Edit: Beaten, and with that I'm done for the day. So long, all.

Hedgethorn on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

bill gates for 2012!

You're joking right now, right?

You'd think that, but I have a fleeting suspicion he's not.

How do you think the campaign became a multi-million dollar campaign? Classic Collective Action problem.

edit: Hedgethorn h5

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited September 2008

You don't have any idea how Obama's campaign raises money, do you?

i know how he spends it.

(and yes i know how he raises money, he uses magical fairies to bake cookies and then sells them to columbians)

Dunadan019 on
This discussion has been closed.