As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week 9/17/08

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Superman all star
    Last 3 pages or so was the most moving death/loss/missing superman memorial I have seen in any medium. That's to be expected though, as this is by far the best superman run I have ever read, not to mention one of the best comic's I've ever read period. Is this a final issue, or this shit be continuing?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Wolverine - his mazaratti does 185

I still prefer the descriptor from last issue. "Ubiquitous."

Crimsondude on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Superman all star
    Last 3 pages or so was the most moving death/loss/missing superman memorial I have seen in any medium. That's to be expected though, as this is by far the best superman run I have ever read, not to mention one of the best comic's I've ever read period. Is this a final issue, or this shit be continuing?

Last issue, but Morrison has expressed an interest in doing one-off All-Star "side stories" about the adventures of the Golden Superman and the Superman Squad.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The character descriptor captions in Uncanny X-Men are pretty much the greatest things ever.
    Wolverine - his mazaratti does 185

I thought the same thing. I love that the song was playing and then that's what his caption was. I'm really enjoying Uncanny, minus the art of course.

smokmnky on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Amazing Spider-Man:
    *Norman is on the phone with Harry and obviously creeping him out*

Harry: Wait. Why..why do you sound like...? Oh god, you're wearing the mask again, aren't you?

Oh Harry, you know your father so well.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My moment of the week was buying the first eight issues of All Star Superman for $34 CAN.

I love this book.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2008
    My moment of the week was buying the first eight issues of All Star Superman for $34 CAN.

I love this book.

They're $3 each. How was this a deal?

Garlic Bread on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Canadian? Including appreciation for the older issues that doesn't seem bad at all.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2008
    Depends on if the shop would sell the old issues at the new price (they're just $3 US/CAD). I know some Canadians have said their shops are using/were using the US prices because of the exchange rate going down.

Garlic Bread on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know about his place but my store bumps the price up a little bit on issues that are more than two months old
    Not much, just 25 or 50 cents but still
    It adds up

Me Too! on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Same here on most things. Like, they'll have % off sales now and then, and "cover price sales", but typically it is more than cover if it's more than two months old.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know I'm a little late here, but Invincible #52. Probably NSFW
    ouvzuv.jpg

10elaf9.jpg

b8ag5u.jpg

Geez, that's a bit much, isn't it? Even the suggested showdown with Titan I've been waiting for since the character was introduced doesn't really compare to this.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alright... ALRIGHT! I'll buy Invincible! STOP HOUNDING ME YOU BASTARDS!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zampanov wrote: »
    fray wrote: »
    despite Ennis' Punisher having killed a whole bunch of people who were arguably innocent.

Um. What?

He blew up a boat full of people and left them to get eaten by sharks.
    And yes it is gonna be Jigsaw according to the solicits.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    despite Ennis' Punisher having killed a whole bunch of people who were arguably innocent.

Um. What?

those people were not arguably innocent they were all evil fucks who deserved to die a more horrible death than the people frank usually kills

Mai-Kero on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    COSMO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Um. What?

those people were not arguably innocent they were all evil fucks who deserved to die a more horrible death than the people frank usually kills

Most of them did, sure. But it was a big boat. They were all evil? Even the waiters and what have you? I mean I get the impression we're not supposed to think about it this much, but still...

fray on
    edited September 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    Oh god.

Did something happen to Cosmo? Please tell me they didn't kill Cosmo.

fray on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

Those aren't going to be bad skrulls. I'm certain of it.

mattharvest on
    edited September 2008

Um. What?

Most of them did, sure. But it was a big boat. They were all evil? Even the waiters and what have you? I mean I get the impression we're not supposed to think about it this much, but still...

THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finally read the latest Spidey and
    HELL FUCKING YES. SCORPION IS BACK BABY

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finally read the latest Spidey and
    HELL FUCKING YES. SCORPION IS BACK BABY

And looks like a bad retarded villain from the 90's.

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's not a great design.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    I have been waiting for that to happen ever since he first got the symbiote

I am jazzed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only version of the Scorpion costume that I've ever liked is Ultimate Scorpion.

Robos A Go Go on
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So now I can stop reading Punisher MAX then.
    1) One of the important things about the character is that he doesn't kill innocents. That means, y'know, checking who's going to die if you pull the trigger. That's one of the basic rules of gun safety, and thus something the character lives by. What I just read is a cheap trick, the like of which I've had five years of not seeing.

2) I had my suspicions about Jigsaw being in this arc, and having them confirmed, well... Look, I just fucking hate Jigsaw, okay? The idea that this merciless, efficient killing machine who's been slaughtering mob goons for thirty years would somehow repeatedly fail to kill this one particular mob goon is stupid and I hate it. Now, if I thought for a second Jigsaw was going to be handled intelligently here, I wouldn't even mention it. If Ennis suddenly brought the character up, I'd most likely be fine with it. However, I'm not getting intelligent handling at all - see point one.

Somebody needs to kidnapp Garth Ennis and keep him writing the Punisher forever.

natxcross on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Um. What?

Yep all evil. If you go back and read it, the whole crew was made up of Ebbing's personal security. I'm sure they were all at least nearly as fucked up as him. And Dermot made it perfectly clear that they only thought Ebbing was crazy because he got caught, not if they did the same thing quietly so that they could actually profit from it. That was kind of the point of the whole thing. I mean, at first Punisher was like "turn yourself over to the feds" and they were like "Fuck you" and he was like "lol ok" and took the boat down.

I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    natxcross wrote: »
    So now I can stop reading Punisher MAX then.
    1) One of the important things about the character is that he doesn't kill innocents. That means, y'know, checking who's going to die if you pull the trigger. That's one of the basic rules of gun safety, and thus something the character lives by. What I just read is a cheap trick, the like of which I've had five years of not seeing.

2) I had my suspicions about Jigsaw being in this arc, and having them confirmed, well... Look, I just fucking hate Jigsaw, okay? The idea that this merciless, efficient killing machine who's been slaughtering mob goons for thirty years would somehow repeatedly fail to kill this one particular mob goon is stupid and I hate it. Now, if I thought for a second Jigsaw was going to be handled intelligently here, I wouldn't even mention it. If Ennis suddenly brought the character up, I'd most likely be fine with it. However, I'm not getting intelligent handling at all - see point one.

Somebody needs to kidnapp Garth Ennis and keep him writing the Punisher forever.

I don't want to stop reading till I'm sure. So far I'm just worried. I'll let the arc play out. If, in the end, it's terrible, then I'll sadly quit until Ennis is done with other projects, and hopefully comes back. Or maybe the next two writers will have better ideas than this guy.

Reserve judgement till we find out if everything's screwed, imo. I like Punisher Max, and I wanna be sure it's dead before I walk away. I mean what's the other option? War Journal? Fuck that.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Punisher's killed innocents before, though.

Admittedly, apart from that woman he killed in PWJ he usually sort of gave some indication that he gave a shit, though.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited September 2008
    Punisher's killed innocents before, though.

Admittedly, apart from that woman he killed in PWJ he usually sort of gave some indication that he gave a shit, though.

616 Punisher =/= Punisher Max. I know they blur the line a bit, but they're not the same. Ennis has retold and retooled his origins and he hasn't killed any innocents in Max.

616 Punisher is a clusterfuck, like most long lasting characters in main continuity comics. It seems unavoidable with the way the big comic companies are run. Punisher Max has been insulated from all that and should be treated separately.

I mean I'm not sure if that's the official editorial standing on Max, but it sure seems like it is, and that's the way I think of it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2008
    There's been a few references in MAX Punisher to stuff that happened in his old Marvel Knights series, so there's clearly some stuff that's still in his history.

Mostly I just treat MAX as being branched off from the rest of the Marvel U at the end of the MK series where he pretty much almost kills Spider-man, Daredevil and Wolverine.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't want to stop reading till I'm sure. So far I'm just worried. I'll let the arc play out. If, in the end, it's terrible, then I'll sadly quit until Ennis is done with other projects, and hopefully comes back. Or maybe the next two writers will have better ideas than this guy.

Reserve judgement till we find out if everything's screwed, imo. I like Punisher Max, and I wanna be sure it's dead before I walk away. I mean what's the other option? War Journal? Fuck that.

Meh. Last time I gave a comic more than two issues it was All-Star Batman, and that was painful; if it picks up, let me know eh? I'll give each new guy a chance, 'cos, well like you say, War Journal?, but I'm not optimistic. I mean, I wasn't even expecting much from this arc; just a little more of the same sort of style, y'know?

natxcross on
    edited September 2008
    There's been a few references in MAX Punisher to stuff that happened in his old Marvel Knights series, so there's clearly some stuff that's still in his history.

Mostly I just treat MAX as being branched off from the rest of the Marvel U at the end of the MK series where he pretty much almost kills Spider-man, Daredevil and Wolverine.

Eh, I remember things in Knights referencing horrible Frank Castle: Demon Fighter crap, but I don't remember anything in Max referencing Knights. If there is, that's cool, I just don't remember it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2008
    Eh, I remember things in Knights referencing horrible Frank Castle: Demon Fighter crap, but I don't remember anything in Max referencing Knights. If there is, that's cool, I just don't remember it.
    The social worker he calls up to help the escaped prositute in The Slavers is the same one from the story about that freaky guy who slept in the middle of a pile of corpses in an old subway. I think he made a vauge reference to it.

I think there was a bit of dialogue between Frank and Nick Fury in Mother Russia that I thought was about that weird time when he was hypnotised into thinking Fury killed his family, but is was so vague as it be meaningless ("You've given me trouble in the past" or something equally vapid).

Not much at all, but there's still clearly some kind of connection..
    natxcross wrote: »
    Meh. Last time I gave a comic more than two issues it was All-Star Batman, and that was painful; if it picks up, let me know eh? I'll give each new guy a chance, 'cos, well like you say, War Journal?, but I'm not optimistic. I mean, I wasn't even expecting much from this arc; just a little more of the same sort of style, y'know?

All-Star Batman is the greatest work to be produced in the medium you philistine

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited September 2008
    NM, moving it to Q/A.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited September 2008
    The social worker he calls up to help the escaped prositute in The Slavers is the same one from the story about that freaky guy who slept in the middle of a pile of corpses in an old subway. I think he made a vauge reference to it.

Good call, I forgot about that. I guess they are vaguely tied. I still stand by thinking of them separately, though. This is still a big deal what this guy is trying to do, and I don't see how it can end with anything but Frank quitting or killing himself and me still wanting to read it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2008
    Let's see what happens... if he ruins it that's awful, but it may be yet another thing to file in the "This never happened" file.
    Along with Spoiler's snuff-death, the entire Ra's Resurrection, Kyle's girlfriend in the freezer, "It's magic!", etc.

Sometimes comics just get screwed up. I personally try to omit a few issues from my memory.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know PWJ and Max aren't directly tied together, but PWJ just did a Jigsaw arc. And he
    freaking died at the end of it.
    I have some issues with their timing.

Scooter on
    edited September 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I know PWJ and Max aren't directly tied together, but PWJ just did a Jigsaw arc. And he
    freaking died at the end of it.
    I have some issues with their timing.

Now I could see tying Max and Knights together, but don't tie War Journal to Max. I won't have a problem with Jigsaw until I see it play out, although I was liking that the majority of the encounters in both Knights and Max were original characters. We'll see how this goes when it comes to that.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited September 2008
    from what I understood PWJ is actually in the marvel universe proper while MAX is not in continuity

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]