As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange Font Display

UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
So, I don't know ...anything, really ... about fonts or how they work or interact in an OS, so I've come here to perhaps learn some exciting stuff and fix a problem. Some of my fonts look strange. I'm not entirely sure how to describe the environment but "2d portions of graphics accelerated programs" might work. Specifically, that I've noticed, the problem pops up in Hammer (the Valve level editor) and AvP (Aliens vs. Predator the game from 1999).

It makes the text pretty much illegible, and I'm not even sure how to look for what's causing it (let alone how to fix it).

As an example:
badfont.jpg
(Both of those numbers should be 512).

So, could anyone help me with that? Then perhaps we can discuss exciting things like ...fonts people download, or something.

The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
Bitstream wrote: »
People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
UltimaGecko on

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Random ideas:
    a) You could try turning on ClearType to see if that fixes anything.
    b) If those fonts are in fact textures, you should go to the game and/or your video card settings and try to force higher textures. Those fonts look almost like they're being corrupted due to compression.
    c) Um, see if your video card has updated drivers? Or roll back your drivers a version or two to see if that fixes anything?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I appreciate the attempt to help, unfortunately no success. I was hoping for the cleartype to work, but no luck in the actual editor. I've tried a variety of drivers (the ones that shipped with the card, the last release and the current release of Catalyst) but those didn't change anything.

As far as I know the numerals used in hammer's 2d views would have to be fonts, since the numbers essentially run the gamut from 2 to ...anything that's a multiple of 2 up until the level boundary.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What res are you running?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got 1024x768 as my usual desktop resolution; I tried 1280x960 as well, but not much help there. In AVP, which has the problem in full-screen, I tried 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x960...none of which really seem to affect the text (aside from making it smaller, and thus making the garbled...ness ... harder to read.

UltimaGecko on