As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon (Oct 11) - Smell ya later!

BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the world of Pokémon!
637.jpg

Let's have a tournament!
Reynolds wrote: »
I don't see any info in the OP, so what's up with the supposed tournament? I want to know what I need to prepare for, if I'm going to attempt to prepare.

You're going to register a pool of 6-10 Pokemon, which'll get posted publicly. Every team you use has to be made out of Pokemon from that pool.

You don't have to abide by Item Clause unless your opponent says that you do.
Haha also it is on the 11th of October and it is going to be swiss format. If you don't quite have 10 dudes, just lie to cover the rest of the spots! We'll never know~
This is Speed's shindig so pm him your teams! To join up, maybe you should say you want to, this isn't hard.

Meet your opposition!
BlueBlue
SpeedRacer
JaysonFour
SirToasty
Terrendos
Kay
Dingus Xavier
AshtonDragon
Jugs
Chen
rubics
Invisible Ink
[strike]Emerlmaster999[/strike]
Zerokku
RedMageDarion
Aggril
Nerdgasmic
Reynolds
RavynBlackheart
Munkus Beaver
Rogar
How do I play Pokémon?!
Let's start with the basics.
527.jpg542.jpg
Alright enough of all that let me show you how to really play pokemon.
632.jpg
Welcome to Solaceon Town, get used to it.

633.jpg
First you're going to need something with flame body, to make your eggs hatch faster.

609.jpg
Drop your pokeparents off here. Make sure they are awesome enough! Awesome parents beget awesome children.
Males pass down moves, females determine species and (when holding an everstone, 50% of the time) nature.

570.jpg
You'll be getting this a lot.
Now, let's ride around until they realize what a thin line there is between love and hate.

541.jpg
See interesting sights!

649.jpg
Meet interesting people!.....uh.. how's that egg coming? Better go check.

561.jpg
It is impolite to explain the facts of life to other people's children. He knows how it got there.

32737041zs3.jpg
Let's ride around some more! Three cheers for a long, unobstructed stretch of ground.

525.jpg
Oya?

544.jpg543.jpg
Oh man, what's it going to be?

549.jpg
It's a GARDEVOIR! Great!

701.jpg
Some people like to nickname their hatchlings to keep track of them, but I don't.

648.jpg
Now we need to check to see if it's worth keeping. Lonely nature? This one obviously sucks.

608.jpg
I can't even stand to look at you. What a waste of time.

630.jpg
This one is more like it! Modest nature, but impetuous and silly? Not good enough for me, but maybe if you're just starting out this would be an ok result. It all depends on how much breeding you can stand. Patience is rewarded, however!

20ln5.jpg
Holy shit! This is so great and rare that I'm going to give it a nickname!

21rn8.jpg
This way you can tell it apart from a hacked shiny. Yep, the only way to be sure.

22ma6.jpg
Looks like this passes preliminary tests - "Somewhat vain" indicates that the highest stat is in special defense, and that the hidden "IV" ends in a 1 or 6. Since 31 is the highest value, this could be good news! We'll have to do an IV check to be absolutely sure.

23tx6.jpg
To do an IV check, we'll need to view our stats as they would be at level 100, which can be accomplished in an online level 100 battle.

24mr6.jpg
View the summary of the pokemon you want to check. Yep, those sure look like numbers, but what do they mean? We'll have to plug them in, along with the nature, into an IV calculator, available at an internet near you.

ivcalcgx1.jpg
This is Serebii's calculator! Well, this looks like a pretty good pokemon. When you get a good pokemon like this, you can either keep it, or use it as a parent to try and breed something even better!
HAHAHA, FAT FUCKING CHANCE, BITCHES

647.jpg
*Ahem*
Well so that's all there is to pokemon breeding, now just go do that 5 more times and you're got yourself a team! Some people like to waste their time making really crappy pokemon, and some people like to waste their time making really good pokemon. The world of pokemon is one full of difficult choices.

Good luck!

NOW SOME GENERAL BATTLING RULES. WITH CAPS

- Pokémon battles through Wi-fi automatically level your Pokémon to either levels 50 or 100. So you don't have to train them to level 100 yourself, saving a lot of time.
-Sleep Clause: you may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at a time.
-Species Clause: your team must be comprised of six different species of Pokémon.
-Suicide Clause: If both players are down to their last Pokémon, the player with the first Pokémon to hit 0 HP is the loser. In other words, using moves like Self Destruct and Explosion cause you to lose, even if it kills your opponent. However, using a move with a recoil that kill both you and your opponent is a win for you.
-No Legendary Pokémon whatsoever.
-No Wobbuffet. You may ask "Wynaut?", but you should already know.
-No Garchomp. You may ask "Wynaut?", and I really couldn't tell you.

Pokémon Resources:

PokéMart: All Pokémon trading can be done here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25308. READ THE RULES

Strategies that have been proven useful

GameFAQs, links posted by Kay
Natures Chart.

Pokédex.

General Breeding/Customization FAQ.

Pokédexes
Psypokes
Serebii's Pokédex
Marriland's Pokedex
Veekun -Narian

IV Calculators
Metal Kid's IV Calculator
Serebii's IV Calculator
Psypokes' IV Calculator

Team Builder
Marriland's Pokémon Team Builder - Figure out your team's strengths and weaknesses!

EV Training
Psypokés' Guide
Serebii's

Art Resources
Sprites from every game
Ken Sugimori art of every Pokémon

Community
Smogon is big on competitive battling

Serebii forums will melt your soul. Beware.

Wi-Fi Help
FAQ on trading and GTS
Serebii has one for battling

Everything
Bulbapedia... everything about Pokémon. Has high traffic, so load times will be long-ish

And now, some useless knowledge!

- Pokémon is a made-up composite word.
- None of the Pokémons' names change in Spanish translations from either continent, yet, they change in France, Italy and some others. Oh yeah, Latin America hasn't got the Spain Spanish translation since the RBY days, by the way.
- Ledian is based on Pulseman, which is a character from another game made by Game Freak, but it was released on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
- Pulseman's nemesis was the Galaxy Gang. Sound familiar?
- If you evolve a Pokémon with a Japanese name on an American GBA cart, and that name was the default one, it will keep its name. But if you do that on DP, its name will be the evolution's. It won't change if it's an actual nickname, though.
- Infernape is based on Sun Wukong, a character from a very old Chinese Book called Journey to the West. Sun Wukong is pronounced Son Goku in Japanese, and he bore a staff while flying on a cloud.

And now, some slightly more useful knowledge.

- You can get new wallpapers for your boxes in Jubilife City's TV station. Details here.
- Pokémon Battle Revolution sucks, unless you can find it for cheap.
- Pokémon Ranch: Pokémon go in, what comes out? MOTHERFUCKERS!
- You can check an Eggs Nature before it hatches. Heres how.
This isn't a hack, it's more a glitch in the game. It's a very useful glitch.

First, save before you pick up an egg from the Day Care Center, then head to a PC. I use the one in the Day Care Center, 'cause it's right there.

Now, you need two empty boxes next to each other, so that you can switch quickly from one to the other with L and R. Put your egg in the first position in one box, switch to the box next to it (via L or R), and place a hatched Pokémon in first position in this new box, so that it's in the same position as the egg.

Next, use L or R to switch to the box with the Pokémon in it. Hover your cursor over said Pokémon, and you'll notice that a) the cursor will bounce, and b) a display at the bottom left will give you the Pokémon's item, then type, then nature, then ability, before cycling through to item again. Get a feel for the rhythm (it's about four and a half bounces of the cursor between changes, roughly), then switch from the box with the Pokémon in it to the box with the egg in it, just before the display changes from Type to Nature. If you've timed it right, you'll see the Nature of the Pokémon in the egg for a brief second before it clears. If you're too soon, you may see the egg's Type briefly instead. Practice makes perfect! You can do the same for Ability too, by timing it just as the display shifts from Nature to Ability on the Pokémon.

If the egg has the wrong nature or ability, simply soft-reset (L+R+Select+Start), talk to the Day Care guy, and tell him you don't want it. You have to say no to every option, or he gives it to you. Nature and Ability are set when the egg is laid, IVs are set when the egg is picked up. This is actually a notable difference. If you save, pick up an egg, and check nature/ability then hatch and check IVs, reload, and do the same, the nature/ability will be the same, but the IVs will be different.
Oh my god

Fear Drifloon!

Drifloon-1.jpg

CD World Tour status:
Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
BlueBlue on

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In addition to the Infernape=Son Wukong thing, Torterra is based on the myth that the world is borne on the back of a turtle.

I think Empoleon might have something to do with mythology too but I don't recall.

Also I totally called that this was going to be your title.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You should add this to the OP, if just that it fits:

080423.gif

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have not yet begun to title.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Drifloon, again? Aw, Mom.

Isn't Banette just as good?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's a bluedot! And a request to see if anyone's battling.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess I can, still waiting on some PineCo eggs.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    BATTUL LOG!
    Go, Purugly!
    Speed sent out Dugtrio!
    Purugly uses Fake Out! Dugtrio takes a shitload, and flinches!

Purugly is faster and uses U-Turn!
    Dugtrio fainted!
    Go, Magmortar!

Speed sent out Kingdra!
    Magmortar, get back! Go, Lanturn!
    Kingdra uses Surf for pretty meh damage!

Speed withdraws Kingdra and sends out Machamp!
    Lanturn uses Discharge for not much damage... but it paralyzes! Huzzah!

Lanturn, you suck! Get out there, Slowbro!
    Machamp snickers and uses Payback!
    Slowbro is seriously injured!

Speed, coward that he is, withdraws Machamp and sends out Kingler!
    Slowbro uses Surf and it does almost half!

Kingler uses X-scissor! It's super effective but... it doesn't do that much!
    Slowbro uses Grass Knot!
    Kingler is pwned and faints!

Speed resorts to Gengar!
    Slowbro, you're monkey food if you don't leave! Go, Lanturn!
    Gengar uses Shadow Ball, and despite being a special wall, lanturn is hit pretty hard!

Gengar uses Energy Ball! It's super effective!
    Lanturn dies horribly!

Magmortar, DESTROY HIM!
    Speed withdraws Gengar and sends out Kingdra!
    Magmortar uses Psychic! it does not 2HKO!

Go, Slowbro! Take one for the team!
    Kingdra uses Dragon Pulse!
    Slowbro faints in a heroic manner!

Go, Garfield... er, Purugly!
    Speed withdraws Kingdra and throws down Magnezone!
    Purugly uses Hypnosis... and it misses!

Purugly uses Hypnosis again and it hits! Yay!
    Magnezone is snoozing!

Purugly uses U-turn and gets the futch out!
    Go, Magmortar!
    Magnezone is still snoozing!

Speed replaces Magnezone with Kingdra!
    Magmortar uses Focus Blast! However, Focus Blast is a shit move and misses!

I predict incorrectly and send out Metagross!
    Kingdra delivers a Surf to the face!
    Metagross almost dies!

Metagross uses Bullet Punch! It fails to KO!
    Kingdra uses Surf!
    Metagross curses my stupidity and faints!

Magmortar, finish the job!
    Magmortar totally goes first and uses Psychic!
    Kingdra is murtelized!

Speed brings out Magnezone!
    Purugly, your time has come! Go!
    Magnezone wakes up and uses Thunderbolt!
    Purugly is OHKOd!

Magmortar, tiem to raep!
    Magmortar uses Fire Blast!
    Magnezone dies in a fire!

Speed chooses you, Gengar!
    Magmortar totally goes first and uses Fire Blast but misses!
    Gengar uses Shadow Ball but Magmortar lives!

Magmortar uses Fire Blast again!
    Gengar dies in a fire!

Speed brings out Machamp!
    Magmortar uses Fire Blast yet again!
    Machamp dies in a fire, and the match ends! Good game, Speed!

And with that, I go to do some IRL stuff.

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You got a full team yet, Nerd, or should I put another four-man team together?

Kay2 on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was wondering what Magmortars moveset would be and I said to myself, Dingus is a Fire Blast kind of guy, and sure enough.
    I'd stick with Flamethrower personally. I guess 85 accuracy isn't as bad as I think, but I'm not comfortable with it. Especially with Focus Blast there as well. That shit never hits.

Blue: I hope you'll change up the OP a little bit. I don't know what you should do, but some changes might be nice.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've never had Focus Blast hit when I've used it. Never.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    new thread!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm. Give me a bit to EV this Forretress I just got, and I'll be good to go.

Also, I have 35 points now, which power items should I get first?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    Focus Blast hits almost alway for me. I've downed half of the opponents team with my Magmortar.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish I had time to get my pokemans beyond lvl 22 :\

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yay! Blue dot plus trying to motivate myself to step away from WoW and FFXI long enough to finish EV training the last one for my team.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Focus Blast hits almost alway for me. I've downed half of the opponents team with my Magmortar.

You're lucky. :|
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

I always figured the best ones to get first were the Speed one (Power Anklet?) and the Sp.Atk one (Power Lens), so that you could train up a Starmie with excellent coverage, and use that to solo the battle tower and the Tower Tycoon a few times, to fund the other Power Items.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Blue: I hope you'll change up the OP a little bit. I don't know what you should do, but some changes might be nice.

Oh ho ho - I have already changed it up a little bit! See if you can spot the differences.

I intend to at least have a damage calculators section and a platinum one - I don't really want to remove too much out of respect for past OPs, even though I've always thought that the useless knowledge section is useless. Probably every pokemon is based on something!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »

You're lucky. :|

I always figured the best ones to get first were the Speed one (Power Anklet?) and the Sp.Atk one (Power Lens), so that you could train up a Starmie with excellent coverage, and use that to solo the battle tower and the Tower Tycoon a few times, to fund the other Power Items.
    Okay, sounds interesting.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What those are terrible ones to get first since those evs are so easy to train. I'd get either attack, since those magikarps make speed probably the easiest ev to get and physical sweepers often have 252 atk/spd, or the defense ones since otherwise you have to run around fighting some things and fleeing from others.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hear Special Defense sucks to train, should I get that?

Also, does that logic make the HP one a bad first choice?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Really I would figure out what pokemon you are going to train and get the ones that will facilitate them.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, I'm going to train a lot over time, but the current one is a Forretress.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, my reasoning was that if you could train up a Sp.Atk/Spd Starmie with Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Psychic (or Grass Knot), then the Battle Tower would be easy as all hell, and you could grind it for a day or so and end up with all of the Power Items based simply on the strength of that Starmie.

It's what I did, really. Then I got the -other- Power Items, and started training real team members.

(Special Defense is the most annoying one to train, though.)

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but that is easy enough even without power items, since you have the magikarps guy for speed and areas filled with only sp. atk guys.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess. HP is a bad one to get by that reasoning, then, thanks to Bidoof girl.

In all honesty, I'd probably say the best one to get first, based purely on how rare things are, is the Sp.Def one. Surf north of Sunnyshore for Tentacruels...

HP: Bidoof girl, south of the Daycare Center. (5 Bidoof.)
    Atk: Last fisherman west of Sunnyshore - two Gyarados.
    Def: Oreburgh mine, or Iron Island.
    Sp.Atk: Old Chateau, lots of Ghastly, nothing else.
    Sp.Def: Surf north of Sunnyshore for Tentacruels.
    Speed: West of Eterna City, Fisherman on the top right corner. 6 Magicarps.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I've gotten the Sp. Def one for now. Time to work on my Forretress.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    (Special Defense is the most annoying one to train, though.)

I don't know why you feel that way. The water route filled with Tentacruels and the occasional Mantyke makes SpDef training pretty easy for me.
    The hardest, or least convenient, has always been Attack. I always go and fight high level Gyarados and Seaking, Intimidate and the high levels just slows things down a lot.

Don't forget the Rich Trainer with a Luxio near that Gyarados fisherman Kay. Good for 2 atk and a decent amount of money.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Funny thing though, is it me, or is the Bidoof girl really annoying to rematch compared to the Magikarp guy? She takes, like, three uses every battle.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's the one I use, Ink. Thing is, I get whole chains of Mantyke (and Pelipper, there are some of those there too!) without seeing a Tentacruel, usually when I have only one left to beat to finish the training.

I tend to smack the Luxio too, but only if I brought my Electivire, or something with EQ. The Gyarados do about 10% to my Starmie on the switch, tops, with any attack, and go down to one TBolt easy enough. Attack's usually the most relaxing to me. :D

HP is revenge on FUCKING BIDOOF. I hate those things.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blue dot. Also, would anyone mind explaining how to do the Clefairy minigame at the Game Corner? I need one o' them Explosion TMs but I got no idea how to acquire it. A link to a description somewhere would be just as good.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You try to match things. It is nearly impossible so just press the buttons. When a pokeball opens and you're in bonus mode, you stop the dial clefairy points to. If the moon turns red, wait on it to fade. You basically just have to luck out.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's similar to the R/B/Y slot machines where you mostly have to play the waiting game until you rake in the cash. The game won't really punish you or anything unlike real life gambling.

Frankly I see more Pelippers than Tentacruels south of the Pokémon League, so one day I said fuck it and went to Valley Windworks instead. It's like farming Bidoofs for HP when all you seem to encounter are Starlys or Buizels. Personally, I don't bother with trainers to acquire EVs because I'd hate to miss out on a 1 in 8192 chance of encountering a shiney. OH YES.

To this day that has happened once in Diamond.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

NO.

Drifloon is the pinnacle of Pokemon perfection, the shining height reached after four generations of Pokemon titles as the finest Pokemon any trainer could hope to one day field in their arsenal. That simple yellow taped X on that purple balloon is pure ART.

Banette is merely fairly cool.

Aggril on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Y'know what guys? I'm scared to find move trainers in Platinum. I think I might find something WICKED AWESOME but instead, I could have my Jolteon learn, like, Light Screen instead of Signal Beam.

This is a terrifying prospect, and having a bunch of walk throughs for this game leading me through by the hand isn't something I want to do ever again. If you can't read Japanese, don't be stupid and buy Platinum - just wait for it in whatever your first language is.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aggril wrote: »

NO.

Drifloon is the pinnacle of Pokemon perfection, the shining height reached after four generations of Pokemon titles as the finest Pokemon any trainer could hope to one day field in their arsenal. That simple yellow taped X on that purple balloon is pure ART.

Banette is merely fairly cool.

I meant in terms of the word "child" appearing in the Dex entry.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is anyone interested in battling at this time? I should like to have a go at it.

I believe I am attempting to write in a sophisticated manner!
    I will surely revert back to brutish insults and average stupidity once a battle commences.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm almost done training this Forretress, I can have a go then.

Argh, Rapid Spin.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Let me know when you're ready.
    Will you have a complete team of 6 when Forretress is done?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No, not unless I use one that is not EV trained.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You want to fight me real fast while you wait for Nerd to finish?

Speed Racer on