As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Online

• Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Oh man.

Oh man.

Had such fun with the GCN version. My Human Sniper (I forget the class name, but I gave him a rifle and he had high enough accuracy to never miss with charged shots, so he's a sniper) still lives on my memory card. Gotta recreate him I think.

So, I download the full install, then the windowed client, but do I need anything else?

RaMar (Ranger/Marksman)? I can't remember the class names either. :P

Yet another free game in mah PC, eatin' mah time.

Yep, dug out my manual, it was a RAmar (Ranger/Human/Male) named Sig. I was playing Jak II a lot at the time. Think I'll just go with Snofeld when I get online.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I added the game to my Steam list so I can chat to people while playing since PSOBB doesn't seem to like being alt-tabbed and windowed mode is fucking horrendous. Hit me up on Steamchat if we're getting a party together (ID is in my sig).

DualEdge on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    I added the game to my Steam list so I can chat to people while playing since PSOBB doesn't seem to like being alt-tabbed and windowed mode is fucking horrendous. Hit me up on Steamchat if we're getting a party together (ID is in my sig).

I like windowed mode because I can run Pidgin along side the game.

I haven't even tried full-screen mode, honestly.

Also putting the game on the Nvidia control panel and forcing AA on everything seems to help.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Man rolling Force after spending all my time with a Hunter is so different. Actually having to retreat and spam monofluid is something I haven't grasped yet.

I'm the opposite. I always played force or ranger and now I'm trying out hunter.

So guys, how about we all make our games obvious to other PA'ers when we play? That way we can just check the teams and if we see "PA Game", we know it's somebody from here and the password I guess would always be "wang".

Gilder on
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For some reason this just doesn't want to work with my computer. Avast keeps detecting viruses in the installer (yeah, I know there aren't any), and even when the thing IS installed it doesn't run correctly because it can't find some file or other.

Oh well, no PSO for me. :(

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    sethsez wrote: »
    For some reason this just doesn't want to work with my computer. Avast keeps detecting viruses in the installer (yeah, I know there aren't any), and even when the thing IS installed it doesn't run correctly because it can't find some file or other.

Oh well, no PSO for me. :(

Is it searching for the stage map or something? I had that problem and a socket error. It was because of the episode 4 fix and JP item stuff. If those are your problems, don't get those things. Just the basic installer. That should make it work.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're having trouble, you have to open the file called online.exe in C:/Program Files/Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. If you select the file from the desktop it will boot up, update, and it'll say (for me) that it can't update a file.

I want to play with you guys, I'm already level 16!

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Downloading now.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I need character info now, including screenshots.

Card #, Character name, etc.

I shall add them to the OP.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My character name is Icemopper...

how do I find the Card # though?

Screenshot will come later.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have the original game and Episode II and a dreamcast and a broadband adapter. (though thinking about selling the adapter for rediculous loot)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Metapurna
    Hucaseal

I've been playing on the Skyline server, block 1

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uhmm..it's free? And...legal and everything? If so I am hopping on board!

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Two questions.

1. Can I change the resolution?
    2. How do I leave the lobby?

Somebody walk me through getting started. Once I'm IN the game I'll be just fine, it's just until then I'm stumped.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ID 22672850
    Gilder

Snofeld, to change the resolution, click the online exe in the main folder. Then click options. You can change it there. To leave the lobby, talk to the people at the counter and choose something about party. You can create or join a game there.

Also I'm playing right now in Skyline block 1, room PA Game, password wang. If anyone wants to join, feel free.

Gilder on
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Edit: Too slow!

1. Options when you start the game.
    2. Press enter near those desk Clerks in the middle, that'll let you join teams or make your own. (rooms)

Now someone tell me why I'm constantly dying in two hits from those boombas. And the ultra super duper secret to making the camera and thus the targeting system not poop. PS. I don't have a game pad.

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    edit out reply to snofeld...
    tgbob wrote: »
    Now someone tell me why I'm constantly dying in two hits from those boombas. And the ultra super duper secret to making the camera and thus the targeting system not poop. PS. I don't have a game pad.

a game pad helps a lot. Anyways, the key to PSO isn't just hacking away at the enemies - you have to get a feel for your hits, how fast they are, their length, how much they push the enemies, etc. My usual trick with the saber is a light hit, a heavy hit, back off a bit, then repeat. You have to make sure you can push them away and run away before they can retaliate. The camera is easier to control with a bumper, but it's always bad in the really small areas. You'll also get used to using the map to fight and worrying less about what you can see. The targeting system is another thing you just have to get used to. It's pretty good about picking the closest enemy, so you basically just face towards the group of enemies and fire away.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Argh, it is cutting off the last character in my username, and isn't letting me log in.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I read on the forums that you can't have a username longer than 8 letters, might be the problem

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Zanmatto / 22672982

edit: lol the game closes when you alt tab?

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I read on the forums that you can't have a username longer than 8 letters, might be the problem

Yep, it is 9 characters. Yaaay.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd love to play with you guys, but we really need to get on Vent for this. Only text chat is weaaaaaak.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm in vent.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I kinda forgot to save my card number.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Snofeld/HUmar/22672987

Save me a rifle if you find one.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DualEdge/FOmar/22672944

I got a some armor that I can't wear. I also cannot for the life of me figure out how to bind spells to the action shortcuts.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This has been my desktop background for years now: Meet my Hucast, X-7045C. The timer on his file is almost 2,000 hours.
    (Linked for 1280x1024 size)

I love this game.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I have the original game and Episode II and a dreamcast and a broadband adapter. (though thinking about selling the adapter for rediculous loot)

...how ridiculous?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    For those playing in a window, you can click and drag out the bottom right hand corner to size it as necessary.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have to say, it's super lame that whenever you take a quest your fate is to be booted back to the lobby. Fail or succeed, you'll end up in the lobby.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I made a new game because the old room was bugged.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played so much PSO. All of them.

I only played BB for one day though. But it's still on the computer. I might try it again. But with no gamepad, the control is horrible. The original intro I saw when I first played it was all static pictures sliding around instead of the famous video, and I was annoyed.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friends and I spent too many nights drinking and playing the split-screen of this on my Xbox. Screw WoW - I only ever needed three kinds of attacks anyway.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Next semester will surely give me muuuuuuuuuch more time for this, but I am still way down with running through the game with everybody. I poured way too many hours into this when I was younger.

What is the level cap anyway?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Next semester will surely give me muuuuuuuuuch more time for this, but I am still way down with running through the game with everybody. I poured way too many hours into this when I was younger.

What is the level cap anyway?

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I got it installed and it doesn't work

Well I got it to work once (immediately after installing), then it updated itself and told me it was going to close. No problem, I'll just reload it

Except trying to run it again doesn't actually do anything, even after rebooting

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate you guys

Impersonator on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I should get my girlfriend in on this. PSO is one of the first things we started talking about!

Edit - Also everyone knows human rangers are the way to go right?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    So I got it installed and it doesn't work

Well I got it to work once (immediately after installing), then it updated itself and told me it was going to close. No problem, I'll just reload it

Except trying to run it again doesn't actually do anything, even after rebooting

Are you using the shortcut it created with the installation package or are you clicking the online.exe application in the main folder? The shortcut it makes is broken so don't use that.

Gilder on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    22672891 / Zura / HUcaseal

psozura.gif

White HUcaseals are in this season.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png