As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Warriors: L2Tank Here

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do it you have a few weeks before the patch/wrath comes out

My brother has two warriors his level 70 night elf tank and his neglected level 29 undead fury warrior
    I harass him about leveling his undead warrior for years and it's still level 29

His plan is to spec his night elf fury when the patch drops and not level his warrior because he claims that he cannot level another warrior

Brainleech on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So tried out the new prot tree last night in a herioc ramparts. First it was a ton of fun compared to tanking on the live servers. The group was a ret pally, arms warrior, pally healer and a druid healer/semi-dps thing. So we had 0 cc really.

Tanked the whole think aoe style, had one wipe since we got the beastmaster, the caster group and the pat at the same time thanks to a badly timed spell reflect by me fearing the mob into the group behind it. Before we wiped though we had killed the beast master, finished the caster group and killed the two dogs in the pat. The beastmasters army of dogs is what finished us.

The only one who was pulling off me if I kept tc going every cooldown I could was the arms warrior when she bladestormed and that still took some effort. Since she was doing 1400 dps and I was tanking in a mix of kara gear and a few blues. I started to wonder if this is pally tank is like. It was a ton of fun. Makes me kind of split on leveling my warrior or my warlock first.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Haha, titan's grip on the PTR got fucked up with the latest patch. It's not letting me equip two two-handers.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in love with Arms. Titan's Grip, that's all fine and good, but Sudden Death MAKES the Arms tree. Makes it. Hello, level 71 mob with full health? Here's a 4.6k Excecute about two seconds into the battle. Oh and Trauma is the shit. Rend actually matters now, who'd have thunk it?

Unless/until they nerf Arms, that's where I'm headed come 3.0.

Funny, I completely ignore the RNG aspects of Arms. Using Slam/MS/WW, you have plenty of abilities to keep you busy, it's controllable DPS, and from everything I've seen, it's better DPS than TfB and Sudden Death anyway, even though sometimes you'll get a superawesome RNG streak. No thanks. I'll stick to Zerker stance, and maybe throw up a rend at the beginning of a fight, for Trauma. Executing down to 0 Rage and then having to wait 3.4 seconds for your next swing really isn't all that fun to me. I am definitely having a blast with arms, though.
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Haha, titan's grip on the PTR got fucked up with the latest patch. It's not letting me equip two two-handers.

Ghostcrawler finally read the "HEY TG IS FUCKING BUGGED" thread, and said "this is the first I've heard of it." Even though it's been boned since Friday. Anyway, a fix should be on the way. Have fun missing.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have you even -tried- it? It's fun, oh so very fun. Course maybe it's because I'm 74...

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I'm in love with Arms. Titan's Grip, that's all fine and good, but Sudden Death MAKES the Arms tree. Makes it. Hello, level 71 mob with full health? Here's a 4.6k Excecute about two seconds into the battle. Oh and Trauma is the shit. Rend actually matters now, who'd have thunk it?

Unless/until they nerf Arms, that's where I'm headed come 3.0.
    Funny, I completely ignore the RNG aspects of Arms. Using Slam/MS/WW, you have plenty of abilities to keep you busy, it's controllable DPS, and from everything I've seen, it's better DPS than TfB and Sudden Death anyway, even though sometimes you'll get a superawesome RNG streak. No thanks. I'll stick to Zerker stance, and maybe throw up a rend at the beginning of a fight, for Trauma. Executing down to 0 Rage and then having to wait 3.4 seconds for your next swing really isn't all that fun to me. I am definitely having a blast with arms, though.
    The RNG usually makes me its bitch, so I didn't think Arms and Sudden Death would be all that great, but it honestly procs enough that it makes a big difference. With TfB, SD and Trauma, there's enough going on that honestly the mob is often dead before I could even think about slamspam or WW. I'm sure that'd change in an instance environment, but at least on the 70-71 ogres near shatt, the RNG isn't really an issue.

Knock on wood and all that.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    With the Execute talent and the Ovepower talent, it is completely unnecessary to switch stances for a Whirlwind. Like I was explaining in my prior post, between slam, ms, overpower, and execute, there is always something proccing with the new arms build. Stuff was dying so ridiculously fast I honestly couldn't spam all my proc-abilities fast enough.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable nerf to Sudden Death, if not before WotLK hits, then probably not too long thereafter. The amount of crying that will come from being executed for huge numbers near the beginning or even middle of a fight will be obscene.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable nerf to Sudden Death, if not before WotLK hits, then probably not too long thereafter. The amount of crying that will come from being executed for huge numbers near the beginning or even middle of a fight will be obscene.

Like when a Rogue catches people with a huge Ambush? Or when a Hunter catches someone with a massive aimed shot? Or when a Mage is able to get off a Pyroblast on someone with little to no fire resist?

Big hits come at the beginning of a fight for many classes. Why shouldn't warriors get a bit of that loving?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    With the sheer amount of DPS classes are going to be throwing around, PvP is going to be hilariously fast unless they do a massive stamina upgrade like they did with BC. Seriously right now on the PTR people are dying so fast due to all this insane output it's laughable.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Like when a Rogue catches people with a huge Ambush? Or when a Hunter catches someone with a massive aimed shot? Or when a Mage is able to get off a Pyroblast on someone with little to no fire resist?

Big hits come at the beginning of a fight for many classes. Why shouldn't warriors get a bit of that loving?
    Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but Ambushes and Aimed Shots are openers, whereas with the insane rage generation of arms, you could effectively be dumping 5k+ Exe-crits multiple times throughout any fight, literally at any time.

I certainly don't disagree with the idea; frankly if I'm going toe-to-toe with some person wielding an axe that's twice the size of my body, I'd expect to take some severe damage, but you know the majority of PvPers in this game. Any chance they get to whine about something, they'll take it, and the devs inexplicably cater to their every whim and whimper.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    With the Execute talent and the Ovepower talent, it is completely unnecessary to switch stances for a Whirlwind. Like I was explaining in my prior post, between slam, ms, overpower, and execute, there is always something proccing with the new arms build. Stuff was dying so ridiculously fast I honestly couldn't spam all my proc-abilities fast enough.

Yes, thank you, I tried saying this a bunch of times but there's no reason to switch to Berserker, it actually lowers your DPS because of the rage it dumps (yes even with tact mastery) and overpowers you miss.
    With the sheer amount of DPS classes are going to be throwing around, PvP is going to be hilariously fast unless they do a massive stamina upgrade like they did with BC. Seriously right now on the PTR people are dying so fast due to all this insane output it's laughable.

Yeah, it's still pretty fucking retarded at 80 too, especially Frost Mages.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There's no way Mirror Image isn't getting nerfed.

forty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not that it isn't a killer and probably overpowered combo, but there is CloS, spell reflect, Divine Shield, shapeshift, Anti-magic shell, Dispersion etc, not counting any sort of ranged interrupts or silences.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

They mentioned bumping up the base hp...but I think that was going to be more of a leveling from 70-80 thing.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    End wrote: »
    They mentioned bumping up the base hp...but I think that was going to be more of a leveling from 70-80 thing.

Yeah, my lvl 80dk got a bunch more HP from nowhere over the last 2 patches. Up to 24k health in frost presence now.

Any thoughts on how to pvp as a warrior once the 3.0 patch hits? Arms still seems like the best base tree for pvp but I was thinking of switching from fury as the support tree to prot. Losing piercing howl is annoying, but you get the awesomeness of improved spell reflect, last stand and shorter duration slows.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LV0fdfbzxrMRZhxZbht0g

grumthorn on
  • Options
    stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanted to pop in and agree with Arms being fuckawesome. I was strictly a fury man but I don't see as much fun in the tree.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    grumthorn wrote: »

Yeah, my lvl 80dk got a bunch more HP from nowhere over the last 2 patches. Up to 24k health in frost presence now.

Any thoughts on how to pvp as a warrior once the 3.0 patch hits? Arms still seems like the best base tree for pvp but I was thinking of switching from fury as the support tree to prot. Losing piercing howl is annoying, but you get the awesomeness of improved spell reflect, last stand and shorter duration slows.

Toughness seems really great for a PvP spec now. I can't look at the tooltip to check, but does it work on both snares and roots ("movement impairing effects" is usually the term) or just snares?

forty on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    forty wrote: »
    grumthorn wrote: »

Toughness seems really great for a PvP spec now. I can't look at the tooltip to check, but does it work on both snares and roots ("movement impairing effects" is usually the term) or just snares?

"Movement slowing effects."

Meh.

Imp spell reflect and trainable shield slam could make for some really strange warrior strats in 5v5. Having an offensive spell reflected every 10 seconds could be difficult to deal with, and a really good warrior could cause absolute nightmares for a CC-focused 5v5 team.

New concussion blow looks to be really really good. Instant damage and a long stun on a 30 second cooldown, I find it difficult to put 18 points in prot but not 21, and unless bladestorm ends up being insanely sexy I don't imagine I ever would have a PvP prot spec without at least 21 points.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You want toughness even though it only works on snares, DK Chains of Ice is THAT fucking annoying.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wow, you guys are all nuts. Taste for Blood is ass. Total ass. and I'm very meh on SD.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well what are you doing that is making it like ass? You must be doing something wrong if so many others are finding it fun.

Arthil on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    You must be doing something wrong if so many others are finding it fun.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wow, you guys are all nuts. Taste for Blood is ass. Total ass. and I'm very meh on SD.

With TM now in Arms, stance dancing for PvE DPS isn't so unreasonable. Add in that Slam no longer has a timing requirement (you can use it whenever, instead of waiting on a swing timer) and a warrior can dump 40-70 rage in the span of 3 seconds (low end: slam + ww, high end: ms + ww + heroic strike), so waiting for a proc, dumping some rage, then throwing in an overpower + refreshed rend shouldn't be too problematic.

I seriously wish it wasn't RNG though, because its going to make it a fucking nightmare to balance in PvP. "Rend + lol overpower + MS + sword spec + lol overpower again!" shouldn't happen, nor should "rend, nothing, rend, nothing, rend, nothing."

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    After your rend deals X damage your overpower becomes useable for 5 seconds.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »

I'd go with "after X tick of rend." I imagine that is what you meant, but rend does scale so that could get kind of broken when we're getting tier 10 gear from farming cyber-Arthas.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'd go with "after X tick of rend." I imagine that is what you meant, but rend does scale so that could get kind of broken when we're getting tier 10 gear from cyber farming Arthas.

There it sounds better

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »

I'd go with "after X tick of rend." I imagine that is what you meant, but rend does scale so that could get kind of broken when we're getting tier 10 gear from cyber farming Arthas.

There it sounds better

Hey, whatever it takes to get big purples.

I'm sorry.
    But only a little bit.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YEah but doesn't overpower have a 10 sec cooldown or something anyway?

Otherwise just make it a 'this cannot occur more than once every X'

Which is probably better actually cause you could just rend a bunch of guys and then unleash 5 OPs on some poor opponent one after the other.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YEah but doesn't overpower have a 10 sec cooldown or something anyway?

Otherwise just make it a 'this cannot occur more than once every X'

Which is probably better actually cause you could just rend a bunch of guys and then unleash 5 OPs on some poor opponent one after the other.

5 second cooldown. Which is why you take Unrelenting Assault and drop the cooldown to 1 second. And then take Imp. Overpower so they have a 50% crit rate. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    You must be doing something wrong if so many others are finding it fun.

It's kind of hard to do that wrong. It just doesn't mesh with my playstyle. I really, really just don't like it. At all. I specced out of it within 20 minutes.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rend and overpower together made up ~5% of my total damage in a set dps test using a build with all the overpower and rend oriented talents.

Also, an arms build ignoring all the overpower and rend talents was the most successful raid dps build among my tests, though I have terrible onehanders and couldn't test titan's grip in this build.

I hear that in a previous build taste for blood would light overpower up for 5s regardless of the new talented 2s overpower cooldown. You could apparently get a few overpowers in on each proc. That doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I probably wouldn't get the talent to reduce the overpower cooldown, because I'll often do overpower, then switch to MS and maybe a slam right after that, in the time it takes me to be switching to another ability and use it, and realize that overpower has procced again and try to use it, I'm wasting or using enough time on other things, that I think a 5 second cooldown is sufficient.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Imp Revenge + 1 sec Revenge cooldown + Glyph of Revenge = EZmode Arms 5 man tanking.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Also, an arms build ignoring all the overpower and rend talents was the most successful raid dps build among my tests.

Same here. And it was well above TG in overall DPS, so don't stress too much about that. 51/10 Arms and 12/49 DW 1h Fury are looking pretty close from all the testing I've done, but to be honest... I'm tired of DW 1h builds, and desperate for something new, so I'll probably stick with a heavy Arms build.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So...is Titan's Grip fixed yet?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's not something that can be hotfixed, so unless there was a new patch, no.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The biggest thing is no one has really gotten the chance to get ahold of the new arms tree and try and make it work right. I personally think that in the right hands you can put out a very high amount of DPS with it. One thing I actually do is, because I have unrelenting assault, is I rend every target in a group pull before I do anything else. My damage/dps seems to shoot up a whole lot when Taste for Blood is proccing like a mother fucker. All in all the beta isn't done yet, not by a long shot... hell I'm even skeptical they'll get the game out by November. Once people find the stats that work best with the new arms tree for PvE, and get some -real- testing in, it's all more or less moot. Different specs call for different stats, from what I'm seeing crit is going to be the highest priority most likely for Arms, and possibly haste as well the bit of it I have has seemed to help a good deal.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hahahaha. Start at post #10.
    Warriors will be the pigeons of WotLK

Another gem:
    Unending Fury: Reduces the rage cost of your Slam, Whirlwind and Bloodthirst abilities equal to the number of devs sleeping on the job.

Titan's Grip: Allows you to equip two-handed axes, maces and swords in one hand. Also reduces the chance you will buy WoTLK by 15%.

Improved Warrior: Instantly transforms you into a Death Knight, increasing damage by 20%. You can move but cannot perform terrible abilities and you do not feel pity or remorse or fear and you cannot be stopped unless killed twice.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So has anybody tooled around with effective prot builds? The talents seem to have calmed down a bit, so I'm trying to figure out what best to use both at 60 and 70. The biggest problem I'm having is that I want to take almost every single point in Prot because they sound so good, even though I know that's probably not the way to go.

Anybody got some build suggestions?

Kid Presentable on
This discussion has been closed.