As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    saggio wrote: »
    Man, fuck the Red Wings (except Lidström).

RichardTauber on
  • jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Here we go Bruins, here we go!

I'm the only one here.

You're not the only one, I am a Bruins fan, born and raised.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, fuck the Red Wings (except Lidström).

I'm not even from north america, and I agree.

L|ama on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

I'm not even from north america, and I agree.

Do you have something against Swedish people? Detroit is basically the Swedish National Team with Datsyuk and a few others now.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh I really have no basis for it, I just dislike the red wings for some abstract reason.

L|ama on
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jesus as a canucks fan I am dreading this season

Ranx on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Trus wrote: »
    Do you guys think the Capitals can *ehem* capitalize on the momentuem they had going into the post season last season, or did their dismal post season ruin that progress they were making.

I highly doubt they have any momentuem, not playing games for 6ish months would kill that.

Ovechkin should be set to go. He has practiced his diving at the local swim club over the summer.

What kind of Flyers fan is focusing on Ovechkin's diving?

There is only one diving board. Sindey and Alexia have to take turns. :P

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The Northwest division is always the most exciting in the league. All you eastern pansies have it easy. ;)

So, this year I get to cheer for the villains, again, eh? Fuckin', Todd Bertuzzi. Why, Flames, why?

This was true 5 years ago. The northwest division is no longer the best division in the league. Believe me, it pains me to say that, as I live in Edmonton and love my Oilers, but it's true. I actually think that both the Pacific and Atlantic divisions are better overall.

In the Northwest you have no clear cut super awesome team. You have Calgary, which goes as far as the Kipper takes them, Minnesota, which relies on wnning games 2-1 and 1-0. Edmonton, which should be good, but with so many young guys there are still some questions, Colorado, which, imo, is a shadow of the team that dominated in the late 90's and early 2000's, and vancouver, where not even Luongo can save them.

You have 2, maybe 3 playoff teams, probably 3, 6, and 8 if all 3 teams make it.

In the pacific you have 3 really strong teams in Dallas, Anaheim, and San Jose, then Phoenix, which should be significantly improved this year. Los Angeles will do what Los Angeles does every year, rebuild. Dallas, anaheim, and san jose will probably finish 2, 4, and 5 in the confrence, the order yet to be determined. Phoenix might sneak in at 8th.

in the Atlantic, you have the Pens, Rangers, devils, and Flyers. Then throw in the Islanders. But the atlantic division supplied half of the teams in the eastern playoffs last year. The winner of this division will likely finish on top of the east, with teams at 4, 5, and either 6 or 7, depending on the flyers. I dare to say that right now the Atlantic division is the class of the NHL.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Colorado, which, imo, is a shadow of the team that dominated in the late 90's and early 2000's

It's true, it's true. Every year we say we'll rebuild and "Playoffs, here we come!" But every year.......yeah.

This year should be interesting, though, with so many "hard-nosed" players. Going for a rougher team, I suppose.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    In the Northwest you have no clear cut super awesome team. You have Calgary, which goes as far as the Kipper takes them, Minnesota, which relies on wnning games 2-1 and 1-0.

Neither of those has been true in years.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here we go Bruins, here we go!

I'm the only one here.

How's Bergeron doing these days? Getting any better? Last I heard it still seemed pretty bad.

Bergeron seems to be fine. The doctors have given him a clean bill of health and he's been skating with the team since the first voluntary session earlier this year.
    Chara still isn't completely healed up yet, though.

For some reason there are rumors that Kessel will start the year in Providence. This makes no sense--he is the best goal scorer on the team.

Yeah, the Chara news is disappointing. We need Big Z to be healthy. I don't want to replace him with, say, Lashoff for any real stretch of time. Replacing Hnidy with Lashoff? Fine. But not Chara.

I wouldn't call Kessel the best goal scorer on the team. He's got all the tools, sure, but the jury is still out on whether or not he has the toolbox. He doesn't seem to be the kind of person who is self-motivated. I don't think it's a coincidence that he played his best hockey after Julien called him out a few times, or after his playoff benching.

Sturm, Bergeron, Savard...they are the most consistent offensive threats on the team. Kessel has flashes of sheer brilliance, but I'm not entirely confident that he'll get it all together, at least in Julien's system.

Nightslyr on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy crap hockey season is starting that god!

Masked_Mullet on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been a Caps fan my entire life. It's been a very, very rough 10 years. Since the loss in the Cup finals, it's been a huge downhill slide, until Ovechkin came on the scene.

Last year we were Southeast Champions.

This year, we will be Eastern Conference Champions!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't you even think about it. Obviously, the habs will be the dominant Eastern team. I mean, sheesh.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So who's watchin this game between the sabres and the leafs...who is this team in the blue and white?

Masked_Mullet on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Colorado, which, imo, is a shadow of the team that dominated in the late 90's and early 2000's

It's true, it's true. Every year we say we'll rebuild and "Playoffs, here we come!" But every year.......yeah.

This year should be interesting, though, with so many "hard-nosed" players. Going for a rougher team, I suppose.

The Avs have no goal tending worth speaking of. Its going to be a rough year for them. Unless they trade for Khabbibulin maybe. Chicago doesn't need him and they need to move his salary.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    go sens

Asiina on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Korlash wrote: »
    Don't you even think about it. Obviously, the habs will be the dominant Eastern team. I mean, sheesh.

Thats the only other team in the East Im ok with -- its my dad's team, so our house was always all Habs in the winter time. Which is why as a 7 year old I rebelled and selected the red white and blue of the Capitals to scorn my father's Canadian pride! And he's not even Canadian!

But I also like the Habs simply because Washington is a big fan of letting goalies go through them and then we take them when you guys can't afford both Sheldon Souray and anyone else =)

Last year we made it to the playoffs with Huet. This year, to the Cup with Theodore!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited September 2008
    In the Northwest you have no clear cut super awesome team. You have Calgary, which goes as far as the Kipper takes them, Minnesota, which relies on wnning games 2-1 and 1-0.

Neither of those has been true in years.

Calgary had one of it's most difficult years in the past 5 last year because Kipper was only great, not omgawesome. Granted Keenan was a big part of that, and if Sutter was smart he'd can Keenan yesterday(please don't, I'm an Oilers fan). Minnesota has improved their scoring a lot, but goaltending and defense still are, and always will be, first for that team as long as the current coaching staff is intact.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

The Avs have no goal tending worth speaking of. Its going to be a rough year for them. Unless they trade for Khabbibulin maybe. Chicago doesn't need him and they need to move his salary.

Goaltending has always been a rough spot for us since the glory days of Patrick. When we got Raycroft everyone here was kind of like, "Really?" I mean, Budaj has his hot streaks, and when he is on he is really on, but then he'll go cold for three games.

But at any rate, like I said, I'm very excited to see our new look this year. Much more physical play is expected, with the likes of Ledin, the two Cody's and Tucker. Maybe take some of the pressure off of Laperriere, and hopefully we won't be manhandled like we have been the past two seasons.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    go sens

Get out.

elevature on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Goaltending has always been a rough spot for us since the glory days of Patrick. When we got Raycroft everyone here was kind of like, "Really?" I mean, Budaj has his hot streaks, and when he is on he is really on, but then he'll go cold for three games.

But at any rate, like I said, I'm very excited to see our new look this year. Much more physical play is expected, with the likes of Ledin, the two Cody's and Tucker. Maybe take some of the pressure off of Laperriere, and hopefully we won't be manhandled like we have been the past two seasons.

Mcleod is one of the most fun players to watch play ever. He might not be great but goddamn is he entertaining.

Also I really hope they play Cuminskey more. He had such signs of promise but needed more time in the oven. Hopefully he's a bit more balanced now.

People are poo-pooing the Avs, but they have a lot of young talent like David Jones, TJ Hensick, and I've been hearing some good (and bad) things about Chris Stewart.

And apparently Jason Bacashihua is outplaying both Budaj and Raycroft in training camp. Take that for what you will. :| I would love to have the Bulin Wall on the Avs.

I'm not expecting a lot from them this year but I think people are really underestimating them. Last year was an abysmal year in terms of injury and they still managed to have a moderately successful season. As long as they stay healthy and they get the goalie situation figured out (yeah yeah, I know it's a lot to ask) they should be okay.

ArcticXC on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    go sens

Get out.

I guess it must be really weird for a Torontonian seeing a team in Ontario that can actually make the playoffs. They do, apparently, exist.

Just not in Toronto.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
    edited September 2008
    Also I really hope they play Cuminskey more. He had such signs of promise but needed more time in the oven. Hopefully he's a bit more balanced now.

From what I hear, Cumiskey has bulked up, like by 20 pounds. As in, muscle bulked. He was one of the fastest skaters in the West last year and the year before, and now he's supposed to be a speedier, beefier skater..
    People are poo-pooing the Avs, but they have a lot of young talent like David Jones, TJ Hensick, and I've been hearing some good (and bad) things about Chris Stewart.

David Jones was looking very good last year, and I also enjoy McLeod. McCormick is good too, but McLeod is the better of the Cody's. Chris Stewart has some serious talent, but from what I've been hearing, he has little discipline and needs to mature. So I'm not sure about him.
    And apparently Jason Bacashihua is outplaying both Budaj and Raycroft in training camp.

I had not heard this. Interesting, very interesting.

Look out for Ledin this year, from Sweden. He's supposed to be entertaining and a high-energy player.

And hot-damn, my first game from my 14 game pack is October 9th against Boston. Can't wait.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And hot-damn, my first game from my 14 game pack is October 9th against Boston. Can't wait.

Oh man I am so jealous. I really should convince my buddy to get in on this with me.

Edit - Hah. Buddy called me. Apparently him and a guy are gonna split a 14 game pack so I'll be going to opening night plus 6 more. WOO.

ArcticXC on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Look out for Ledin this year, from Sweden. He's supposed to be entertaining and a high-energy player

Ah, man, Ledin is so energetic. Best worst player to ever curse out a referee. He's an asshole in general.

RichardTauber on
    edited September 2008
    so the oilers are half way done 4 games in 4 nights.

4 games in 4 nights is stupid =/

wunderbar on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Wild have lost one of their best goal scorers (Rolston) and haven't done much to replace those points, IMO.

It's not going to be a great season, lowlighted with Gaborik getting moved before the trade deadline. Ugh.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    go sens

Get out.

I guess it must be really weird for a Torontonian seeing a team in Ontario that can actually make the playoffs. They do, apparently, exist.

Just not in Toronto.

I've hated the Sens for years, since the Leafs were beating them in the first round year after year after year. it's part of being a Leafs fan.

The Sens are a better team now, and have been for a while, I'll admit that. Just gives me another reason to hate them.

elevature on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hope I can get my hands on some Pens tickets this season. I don't care if the Igloo is the oldest arena in the NHL, it's still a damn fun environment.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OK, I have my first hockey draft of the season tonight and I am not prepared at all. Suggestions?

I plan on picking two goalies in the first four rounds. This is a keeper league too, so there is even more pressure on me to pick well.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So Gonchar is injured for 4-6 months? Well isn't that just dandy. :(

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2008
    So Gonchar is injured for 4-6 months? Well isn't that just dandy. :(

Yea, that's gonna really hurt the pens even strength. They'll put Malkin on the point on the PP, so that will actually probably be better, but they're still in trouble on the blueline without him.

wunderbar on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh wow. The Flames beat Phoenix 8-2? Man.

Well, I still have to prepare myself for the fact that the Flames always have a dismal start to the regular season.

Nova_C on
    edited September 2008

Well, I still have to prepare myself for the fact that the Flames always have a dismal start to the regular season.

Also, it's pre-season. Blowouts are not un-common. I think a couple years ago Detroit didn't even win a game in the pre season, or like, 1.

wunderbar on
    edited September 2008

It won't be as bad as it has been for the last 2-3 years. Kipper actually came to camp in shape after actually doing some off season stuff in the gym. So instead of going 5-10 in October, we'll go 6-9 :P

In other news the Canucks named Luongo captain:lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited September 2008

It won't be as bad as it has been for the last 2-3 years. Kipper actually came to camp in shape after actually doing some off season stuff in the gym. So instead of going 5-10 in October, we'll go 6-9 :P

Yea, how fucked up is that franchise that they have to name their goalie as the captain, when he can't actually do any captain related things during the game =/

It's gonna be pretty sad there next year without Luongo or the Sedins.

wunderbar on
  • SelaniSelani Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    It's hard being an Australian in love with Ice Hockey & the NHL :(

(go Ducks! Selanne signed for 2 years = win.)

Selani on
    JehovahsFitness.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yea, how fucked up is that franchise that they have to name their goalie as the captain, when he can't actually do any captain related things during the game =/

Vancouver has tonnes of cap room. They're probably sign all three.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2008

Vancouver has tonnes of cap room. They're probably sign all three.

The question is, do they want to sign there. I will wager that Luongo will leave if the Canucks don't make it deep into the playoffs in atleast one of the remaining season.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
This discussion has been closed.