As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Samba De Amigo! - Monkeys! Maracas! DLC?

2»

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How accurate are the wiimotes? I have the Dreamcast original but I've never been able to find the maracas for a price that isn't $rape.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    Beyond that, the limitations of the Wii remote's motion sensing capabilities become apparent at the exact point you really need them to be reliable. Try as Gearbox might, the bald truth is that the Wiimote is far from an exact instrument in precisely judging where you're shaking. Time and again, just as you're building up a great multiplier, a simple repetitive moment can be misinterpreted, leaving you staring balefully at your hands, wondering why that shake was deemed incorrect when all the others were fine. At lower skill levels, you can afford the odd hardware-related slip-up; you'll make it through anyway. But, really, the routines are basic enough that you shouldn't be making any mistakes.

Needless to say, the imprecise nature of the controls starts to weigh heavily once you're faced with more complex routines and manoeuvres. You'll go from being able to do each song with pretty much with your eyes shut to hitting a brick wall the minute you progress to Hard mode. The games almost works perfectly when asking the player to perform very deliberate actions, but demands an unreasonable level of precision later on - a level of precision that is currently beyond the Wiimote.

While the expensive Dreamcast system was capable of triangulating the position of each maraca relative to the sensor bar, Gearbox's Wii system relies on static acceleration data. While this is a clever alternative on paper, it has limitations when you're being asked to move from high to low to medium positions in quick succession - while also shaking in time. It's a nice workaround up to a point, but it doesn't quite work in the white heat of maraca-shaking insanity.
    IGN wrote:
    The problem is you'll find your shakes aren't always recognized, and the game will mistake other movements for shakes. Sometimes just lowering your hands from the upper to the middle zone will trick the game into thinking you're giving a shake. Sometimes you'll clearly have your remote pointed down for the lower zone, but the game will disagree. It's not a problem on the lower difficulties because the symbols don't come fast enough and you have time to compensate, but once you get to hard you'll find Samba de Amigo just can't keep up with your movements. On the Dreamcast the maraca peripheral was height sensitive and did a much better job of reading your movements. This Wii version puts all its hopes on the remote's accelerometer and it turns out it's not up to the job. There are onscreen indicators that show which zone your remotes are currently held in, but the game moves too quickly on hard for these to be much help.

So far things don't sound good in the control neighborhood.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ughhh. That does not bode well at all.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so sad. Why didn't anyone think of placing the sensor bar on the floor, and holding the wiimotes upside down?

Thats essentially what the Dreamcast's maracas were. Ugh.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    2pyqccl.jpg

The maraca is a lie.

The game only comes by itself, no big box, no maracas included.

The $15 maraca (or $5 if you pick it up at Best Buy with the game) is a third party peripheral made by GameOn. The beads are in the sides of the maraca head, not within the maraca head itself.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the biggest thing is that it's played with nunchucks and not two wiimotes. or is it?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    the biggest thing is that it's played with nunchucks and not two wiimotes. or is it?

You can play with either two wiimotes or wiimote and nunchuck.

I've only tried out easy mode. I can see why reviewers would complain about accuracy; you really need to get the tilt perfect (overexaggerated twisting) to hit the right spots, and you need a good firm shake for it to register.

It seems like something you can get used to with practice, but it's not quite intuitive.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    B:L wrote: »

You can play with either two wiimotes or wiimote and nunchuck.

I've only tried out easy mode. I can see why reviewers would complain about accuracy; you really need to get the tilt perfect (overexaggerated twisting) to hit the right spots, and you need a good firm shake for it to register.

It seems like something you can get used to with practice, but it's not quite intuitive.

There are a handful of reviews that are echoing this - the accuracy is there, you just have to learn how to do it right.

I wonder if initially they had envisioned using the sensor bar - I could see putting a mirror in the maraca heads to reflect the sensor bar signal onto the wiimote sensor, then you'd calibrate it and use 2 wiimotes.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    still trying to figure out the "zone."

it's tough. i did okay one time doing punching movements.

I'm left handed, and kept missing right hand up, and sometimes the others. don't know if it's my handedness, or just how the game's set up or any number of things

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    still trying to figure out the "zone."

it's tough. i did okay one time doing punching movements.

I'm left handed, and kept missing right hand up, and sometimes the others. don't know if it's my handedness, or just how the game's set up or any number of things

Yeah, it seems like the controllers have to maintain their orientation during the shaking for maximum effectiveness, so I've personally found a punching-esque motion works well.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. just bought the best controllers i've found so far for samba...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjA1v5KhoZ4

my wii is at work so i'll try to bring a camera there tomorrow and take some video of me playing

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's....not too bad an idea actually. I might have to give that a shot.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it aims the camera correctly while you hold the pistol grip like a maraca. it's pretty hilarious. but i can pass hard mode songs now

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    aww man. i was hyped that i found this game sorta cheap (20) but i wanted to be sure before i unwrapped it.

i love rhythm games (amplitude < frequency but both are good fun.)

i wanted a game that the mrs might play too...but i HATE having streaks broken by"wha?"

should i keep? have you all found the zone?

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    alright!

a reason to upload the videos i made of me playing this game with perfectshots

no i don't have an answer to your question

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png