As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wish we had [thing] in [country].

• JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    david chang wrote something for the most recent esquire about how our meat-centric diet is a pretty recent development and that meat consumption is going to start to go on the decline that was interesting

Calling bullshit on this. Pretty much every species in the ancestral tree of humanity eats meat, sometimes exclusively. And our closest cousins eat lots of meat, chimps have been known to abduct and eat human infants for crying out loud.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    david chang wrote something for the most recent esquire about how our meat-centric diet is a pretty recent development and that meat consumption is going to start to go on the decline that was interesting

Calling bullshit on this. Pretty much every species in the ancestral tree of humanity eats meat, sometimes exclusively. And our closest cousins eat lots of meat, chimps have been known to abduct and eat human infants for crying out loud.

calling retard on you

learn to read a little better then go study basic anthropology and food history

PiptheFair on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

eats meat? sure

but a primarily meat diet is pretty recent for most cultures
    without modern methods of raising livestock, it's pretty difficult for many cultures to raise/hunt enough meat for it to be a staple food

edit: hi5 pip

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    thanks slowhim

PiptheFair on
    edited September 2008
    alt post, dru remembers what a bitch those mammoths can be

PiptheFair on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »

calling retard on you

Millions of years of killing and eating animals
    A few thousand of growing and cooking plants

Unless vegetarians are digging up roots and eating them raw they don't get to talk about "recent development" of eating meat.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    *shakes fist*

edit: Janin you are one stubbornly retarded motherfucker right now

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »

calling retard on you

Millions of years of killing and eating animals
    A few thousand of growing and cooking plants

Unless vegetarians are digging up roots and eating them raw they don't get to talk about "recent development" of eating meat.

are you seriously this dumb?

PiptheFair on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    is butter a carb

Sara Lynn on
    edited September 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    is butter a carb

lipid

specifically a fat, along with water and fat solids

PiptheFair on
    edited September 2008
    is butter a carb

no, it's primarily a lipid

edit: hate you so much now pip

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    BOTH OF YOU ARE TERRIBLE

Sara Lynn on
    edited September 2008
    hail satan

PiptheFair on
    edited September 2008
    BOTH OF YOU ARE TERRIBLY HANDSOME

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    that doesn't read like something sara would say at all

PiptheFair on
  • PinballPinball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mango is the fruit of the heavens

Cutting both halves, then cutting horizontal and vertical lines on each half, then you "fold it" so it turns inside out, and then you got individual squares you can bite. Yum yum.

It's also very good with something spicy, like the many awesome chili sauces we have the priviledge of having in Mexico
    tajin_fruit_lrg.jpg

Pinball on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

it's not that we haven't or shouldn't eat meat. chang is pretty much the king of pork and refuses to make his menus vegetarian friendly. but what's happened is we've been overconsuming meat, and now that feed and so forth is getting more expensive, meat is skyrocketing in price.

the idea is that we will likely a) need to embrace nose-to-tail cooking more, and b) use meat as part of a dish rather than the whole dish.

satansfingers on
    edited September 2008

it's not that we haven't or shouldn't eat meat. chang is pretty much the king of pork and refuses to make his menus vegetarian friendly. but what's happened is we've been overconsuming meat, and now that feed and so forth is getting more expensive, meat is skyrocketing in price.

the idea is that we will likely a) need to embrace nose-to-tail cooking more, and b) use meat as part of a dish rather than the whole dish.

those both seem like reasonable predictions to me

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mm, spicy mango chutney

Smooth, for extra-good dipping purposes

Janson on
    edited September 2008
    I fucking said that already you nerds

PiptheFair on
    edited September 2008
    also, quinoa is awesome everybody should go get it

PiptheFair on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »

those both seem like reasonable predictions to me

I was raised doing the latter pretty much all the time. We didn't do much of the former, since my mom prefers using non-meat proteins (mostly cheap cheese, "cheese product", and the like) to organ meats. We did eat a lot of spam and the like, though.

It amazes me how many things I learned as a kid are "poor people" things. Until I was a teenager, I thought everyone used cloth diapers, only went to the second-run theater, and passed hand-me-downs through two generations of five families. I like these habits. They have served me well.

laughingfuzzball on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd use cloth diapers for economic and environmental reasons

When I was a baby I had cloth diapers, but then that is because I am that old

However, my mother didn't realise they were supposed to be used in tandem with plastic pants

Janson on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish we had an oppressive government, kick ass national anthem, and borsch in the United States. Also maybe Konigstigers.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    I'd use cloth diapers for economic and environmental reasons

When I was a baby I had cloth diapers, but then that is because I am that old

However, my mother didn't realise they were supposed to be used in tandem with plastic pants

I can't decide is that's hilarious or horrible.

We're about the same age, but disposables have been the norm here in 'murrca since the late seventies. Cloth wasn't unheard of when I was a baby, but it was unusual.

Most new parents today don't even know there is such a thing.

laughingfuzzball on
  • geckonidaegeckonidae Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish Western Auastralia had seven-day trading cause I am a consuuuuuuuuumer.

geckonidae on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ozone.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Weaver wrote: »
    I wish we had castles

Castles are awesome. Going on school trips to castles is doubly awesome.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I wish we had castles

The downside was that I had to cross over into Wales to look at the nearest castles.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I wish we had castles

The downside was that I had to cross over into Wales to look at the nearest castles.

I'm so sorry. I was spared as a child.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    internet that worked

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This isn't so much a national item as a regional specialty:

Roscoe's chicken and waffles. Mmmmm...

Polago on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fewer Chinese people

ooh

and TURKEY

Vivixenne on
    edited September 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    fewer Chinese people

ooh

and TURKEY

I get you. replace the Chinese with Turkish. Very clever.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited September 2008
    if you replaced most of China's human population with turkeys

I'd be a pretty happy person

fat as hell

but HAPPY

Vivixenne on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish we had outsourced jobs from other countries in America.

Henroid on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

fat as hell

but HAPPY

Dude, everyone knows the fattest people are the happiest.

Henroid on
    edited September 2008

fat as hell

but HAPPY

Imagine the global ultra power China would become as the world leader in turkey farming.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wish we had outsourced jobs from other countries in America.

Oh don't worry, your labor will soon be cheap enough to outsource to you.

Just imagine...

Guys in Indian or Eastern European offices all shaking their fists at America's sloppy programming...

Iskander on
    edited September 2008
    oh god I remember when I was at PAX that every chance I got I ordered something with turkey in it

and it was great

Vivixenne on