As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON]ChromeHounds - Shiny Metal Dogs

FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
titleso8.jpg

Chromehounds is a tactical squad based mech game. Released July 7th 2006 for the xbox 360.

Played completely online (there is a single player game mode, but it's mostly just training and not very long). You work together with a squad of friends to compete in matches of up to 6 vs. 6.

The game is set in a world of 3 fictional nations locked into a constant battle called the Neroimus war. The 3 nation involved are Sal Kar, Morskoj, and Tarkia. Every match you play moves towards capturing that specifc map, and eventually the enemies capital. Eventually one side will win and than the game resets and starts all over again.

Matches are decided by destroying your enemies HQ. When you start a match you only have a very limited radar range decided by your commanders mech NA range. scouts go out and capture COMBA's (big radar towers) that add to and expand your radar view. with this your commander directs everyone on where to go and the best strategy to win.
92845620060607screen004aj3.jpg

But enough of the boring stuff.

There is an awesome mech builder in the game, with 100's of different parts to build your death machine with.
Parts are split into weapons,mobility bases, cockpits, generators, spacers, armor, na makers, and some assistance and accessories. you can place your parts however you want, building off of each previous part through a series of hard points.

With this you can build mechs that fall into one of six general types.

Scouts - they move forward fast on the map in order to well scout out the enemy, and capture COMBA's
Soldier - there your main front line fighters. Relatively fast, well armed. very good at taking out other mechs.
Sniper - long range, very good damage from the rifles, but if you let anything get too close your toast
Commander - usually well armored, and carries your NA generator, this guy tells you what to do.
Heavy Gunner - Big giant cannons and rockets, lays down some serious hurt
Defender - sticks by the hq, slow, heavily armored. Your last hope against anyone attacking.

and heres some pretty pictures of mechs.

92845620060607screen003pt2.jpg
92845620060615screen004xd6.jpg
92845620060615screen007oh8.jpg

so who wants to play this again? squad can hold up to 20, and the more that get on the better chance we get at having full matches.

Shiny Metal Dog
alligned with morskoj atm, don't know if you have to be too or not.
Recreation Zone, America
XYXY for the pwd

you should be able to just search for it and join from what I remember

Who's playing: (PA Name - XBL Name)

Foomy - FoomyFooms

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
Foomy on

• FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got this at Game Crazy for $13, and I heard it is best played with a group of people. So I'd be down if we could get a clan together, although I tend to do most of my gaming at night.

FreddyD on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If people are seriously going to get back into this I am so very down.

I used to play scout, gamertag is Sunabozu.

Did they ever fix the server and balance issues though?

Inquisitor on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the online play is good?

Because I tried single-player, and the unskippable tutorial was Desert Bus on two legs.

Haven't touched it since.

Tiemler on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, as a former Steel Battalion player myself, this looked neat when it came out. However from what I heard they took some of the worst aspects of Line of Contact (wonky netcode, equipment purchasing, lack of dev support) and combined it with horrid balance.

But if it's still got an active community of reasonably decent, intelligent people, I'd be interested.

Dartboy on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    So the online play is good?

Because I tried single-player, and the unskippable tutorial was Desert Bus on two legs.

Haven't touched it since.

The online play is awesome, it's really the only reason to play the game as the single player really is just a set of tutorials. The matches are both slow and tactical, as you try and get the best intel and postitions on the terrain, and furious once you come into contact with the enemy, mechs don't move that fast, and most don't carry that heavy of armor, so every hit you receive you really feel.

you can get into some crazy scenarios where your slowly crawling through a town and you have no clue where the enemy is, and than your commanders suddenly pipes up thats theres an enemy on the other side of a wall behind you, just as he blows up the wall and comes crashing through into you, lighting you up with a few volleys of rockets, your mech is now a rolling hunk of burning metal, half your guns don't work and your furiously trying to get a bead on the enemy to return fire before he can reload.

or your waiting patiently on a hill-top half a map away, knowing that enemy just has to run through the oil refinery to reach your base, so you wait and wait, and than, yes. There they are, slowly moving through the oil storage drums, so you aim carefully and BLAM! the whole place lights up with ground shaking explosions and fireballs climb into the sky from your single shot into a storage tank. You than leisurely place a few volleys of your cannons into the cockpits of the now nearly useless mechs

I'll set up a squad tomorrow and go about sending out invites and whatnot.

name suggestions needed

Foomy on
  • stympystympy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm in, hopefully my gold account didn't run out yet. XBL tag: Stympson

stympy on
    Vote for my minis at Cool Mini Or Not
    edited September 2008
    Ok I made a squad, the name sucks, enjoy

Shiny Metal Dog
    alligned with morskoj atm, don't know if you have to be too or not.
    Recreation Zone, America
    XYXY for the pwd

you should be able to just search for it and join from what I remember

if I missed any needed info tell me.

Foomy on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trivial point: This game was supposed to be the prequel to the whole Armored Core timeline. The unusual solar activity limiting flight subsides, they abandon wheels for thrusters, and basically you have NEXTs.

I believe the main reason it's remained in developer-interview-commentary-land is lack of popularity. Not sure if being a Sega-published title affected the situation.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This and Dead Rising (and The Force Unleashed) are the only games that have ever made me jealous of the 360. I want me some Tinpups :(

TychoCelchuuu on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Foomy (54) / Stympson (09)! hah our old forums are still up (http://brainrotcollective.com/ironskies)

which is funny cause i haven't checked them in awhile and it looks like the public side got spammed out a bit... anyway. playing with Iron Skies back when this launched was so much fun. we fucking dominated most opposition. i still have the game, but i don't know if i'll get back into it. good times though

krylon666 on
    edited September 2008
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Foomy (54) / Stympson (09)! hah our old forums are still up (http://brainrotcollective.com/ironskies)

which is funny cause i haven't checked them in awhile and it looks like the public side got spammed out a bit... anyway. playing with Iron Skies back when this launched was so much fun. we fucking dominated most opposition. i still have the game, but i don't know if i'll get back into it. good times though

I totaly forgot that we even had forums

edit: oh man reading the forums and I saw the snake build... I wonder if people still use those

Foomy on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the snake was close to unstoppable - but not as annoying as those fuckers with the pile driver builds.

do you know if they added new parts or updated how shit worked at all? i haven't followed the game at all since back then.

krylon666 on
    edited September 2008
    the snake was close to unstoppable - but not as annoying as those fuckers with the pile driver builds.

do you know if they added new parts or updated how shit worked at all? i haven't followed the game at all since back then.

I know they changed some of the balancing.

I don't think pile mechs work anymore for rushing.

and they added more recoil to heavy arty, so double double builds aren't as good.

I hear shotgun karts are the new annoying build, but they sound counterable.

Foomy on
  • JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Foomy wrote: »

I know they changed some of the balancing.

I don't think pile mechs work anymore for rushing.

and they added more recoil to heavy arty, so double double builds aren't as good.

I hear shotgun karts are the new annoying build, but they sound counterable.

I used to love heavy artillery, now you can't even fire a double-double cannon without shooting at the moon. I suppose the 2X double-double build on inverted legs had to go since it was so abused and overplayed, but they made it so bad that they won't even work out in a quad setup (upid-stay).

That said, the cannon builds are still extremely effective and fun.

The game is a blast, but if the whole squad isn't up for a game it isn't fun. Nobody wants to play the game nightly anymore, because there are a billion more fun games out there. Getting a squad together at a certain time is a turkey-shoot, and it usually never happens because someone wants to play halo3.

That said I'm up for a squad spot and earning a few achievements that I missed.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, this game was SO good. I'm not sure that I have the time to get into a squad again, but it really did shine that way. Tactical, exciting, really one of the best games I've ever played online.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
    edited September 2008
    I really wish that it got a pc release.

every time I think of the mods that could of been made it makes me all tingley. and all the little annoyances with the ui could of been fixed.

or if there was a way to play matches without having to be in a squad, 6vs.6 pickup games would at least make for quicker play when not everyone can be on.

Foomy on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so in on this. I have to start playing again.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited September 2008
    how about we all try and get on tonight at say 8pm mst ?(do your own conversions, I'm lazy)

even if theres only 3 or 4 of us, we can still do a few smaller games, get back in practice, die horribley, etc.

Foomy on
    edited September 2008
    >.> Presidential debates tonight.

TheLawinator on
    edited September 2008
    >.> Presidential debates tonight.

your silly American politics matter not to me.

plus flinging fiery death is much more fun

Foomy on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey so should I buy this

is sniping viable?

PiptheFair on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember buying this on launch day, bringing it home really excited...then spending 5 hours trying to join a clan and actually get online....I think that killed it for me. I played for maybe a week and quit forever.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited September 2008
    Try again!

Anyone on?

TheLawinator on
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just picked this up on Goozex a while ago, and I'm totally in for some PA shenanigans. Gametag is Shultz Machine.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
    edited September 2008
    Watching a movie right now but send me some requests and I'll play whenever the hell I get around to it.

Tag in the sig.

TheLawinator on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If enough dedicated people considered joining a PA Chromo Hound clan, I might decide to join up and pull my old sniper Gator out of retirement. Course this would have to wait until I find my warranty for my TV, as my Plasma currently blew out during a lighting storm recently.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Try again!

Anyone on?

Sorry, traded it in a long time ago.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited September 2008
    3 of us on atm, come join us!

edit:

the snake is still viable and just as silly looking as ever, good times

Foomy on
    edited September 2008
    I'll play with you guys tomorrow, for now I must sleep.

TheLawinator on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanted to get in on this but I couldn't get the Squad to show up.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited September 2008

squads unfortunately only show up when a squad member is sitting in the squad lobby, and we all quit playing like 30mins ago.

edit: just add me to your xbl friends list and send me a msg next time i'm online, i'll hop into the squad lobby and accept the application

Foomy on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Foomy wrote: »

squads unfortunately only show up when a squad member is sitting in the squad lobby, and we all quit playing like 30mins ago.

edit: just add me to your xbl friends list and send me a msg next time i'm online, i'll hop into the squad lobby and accept the application

Ah I remember that now, sent you a request, I'm Liake.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll be on a bunch tomorrow, and I would adore another chance to play Chromehounds.

My GT is Pollo Diablo C.

PolloDiablo on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm adding all of you right now. I fucking love this game.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm gonna send out invites now. Anyone around care to play a little?

PolloDiablo on
    edited September 2008
    I'm sitting online right now, deisgning more horrible mechs

someone come play

Foomy on
    edited September 2008
    K.

I'll do ittttt.

TheLawinator on
    edited September 2008
    anyone up to try another game tonight at like 9pm (mst) ? or whenever

I need more mech goodness

Foomy on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You fuckers are so damn evil, I just traded this game in!

gunwarrior on
    edited September 2008
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    You fuckers are so damn evil, I just traded this game in!

well you know what you must do now?

go trade some other crap for it back

Foomy on