As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding Mexican Coca-Cola on the East Coast

DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm addicted to Mexican coke. Not the drugs, silly, the soda. Coca-cola served in an old-fashioned glass bottle and made with real cane sugar instead of despicable high-fructose corn syrup. I'm from Southern California, where the stuff practically grows on trees. They sell it at Costco for less than $20 a case. But now that I'm living on the east coast, I'm having trouble tracking down this delicacy. I've found plenty of taquerias that sell Jarritos (fruity Mexican soda, also delicious and made with real sugar), but no Coke.

Do any of you know anywhere (restaurant, grocery store, etc) in either the Boston or NYC area that sell legit imported Mexican Coca-Cola? Ideally by the bottle, although I'd buy a case wholesale if necessary.

Signature not found.
DeathPrawn on

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't know a place but look for kosher for passover coke... not in glass bottles but has yellow tops on the cans and plastic bottles. That has real sugar in it as well but is only available near passover time and from stores that are routinely shopped by the jewish community.

useless4 on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I'm addicted to Mexican coke. Not the drugs, silly, the soda. Coca-cola served in an old-fashioned glass bottle and made with real cane sugar instead of despicable high-fructose corn syrup. I'm from Southern California, where the stuff practically grows on trees. They sell it at Costco for less than $20 a case. But now that I'm living on the east coast, I'm having trouble tracking down this delicacy. I've found plenty of taquerias that sell Jarritos (fruity Mexican soda, also delicious and made with real sugar), but no Coke.

Do any of you know anywhere (restaurant, grocery store, etc) in either the Boston or NYC area that sell legit imported Mexican Coca-Cola? Ideally by the bottle, although I'd buy a case wholesale if necessary.

look for mexican stores?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    or just in the international isle of a regular supermarket.

Cauld on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    Mine often had it, but I also lived in Texas.

Quid on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »
    Mine often had it, but I also lived in Texas.

Mine often has it, and I live in Minnesota

Cauld on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    There is a Mexican restaurant here in Philly (near Geno's and Pat's) that serves it. I guess I could poke around and ask where they get theirs next time I'm in the area.

Organichu on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, there are other brands of cane soda - such as hansens - you could try one of them.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    try organic food shops. they got all sorts of weird colas with probably cane sugar.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My corner bodega sells both coke and pepsi that is made with real sugar. It is from Trinidad though, not Mexico. Try your local weird little mom-and-pop, you never know what strange things they got there.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There's always Jone's cola.

Quid on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

look for mexican stores?

This may be hard to believe but Boston has a very low population of mexicans. However Boston has brazilians out the ass.

Shogun on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm distinctly looking for Coke as opposed to generic cane sugar cola (my local Whole Foods sells both Boylan's and their own 365 brand), and I've checked out a handful of bodegas and taquerias in both cities.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to come in here say "oh yeah, I see it all the time at [LOCATION IN NYC OR BOSTON]", but of course that's a longshot.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The TV tells me that high fructose corn syrup isn't all that bad. It's all-natural! It comes from corn!

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wtf, you guys don't have coke with sugar?

Here in Australia, as far as I know, ours is made out of sugar, and comes in glass bottles/plastic bottles/cans etc...

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does your city have a section where there's a high hispanic population? Just go there, and look for any grocery store or market. You should find it no trouble.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

Here in Australia, as far as I know, ours is made out of sugar, and comes in glass bottles/plastic bottles/cans etc...

In Canada, Mountain Dew doesn't have caffiene in it. That's like, the entire point of the drink.

Heed notice though: even Mexicoke is switching over to HFC. Only the smaller bottles still have cane sugar, the slightly bigger ones are HFC.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

America is the only country in the world that doesn't use cane sugar for coke. Welcome to the bassackwardness of the republican party. Not going to get into why it is the way it is but it does amount to horseshit.

First check some grocery stores nearby. Look for the row that has all the goya stuff. There is a chance there is mexicoke there. If its no dice there start looking for smaller shops that are still grocery stores. Look for something that is not american. My brother lives in Boston and I've called him but he didn't answer. If I find anything out I swear I'll report back.

Also check out a store called Bodega that shit is crazy.

Shogun on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

In Canada, Mountain Dew doesn't have caffiene in it. That's like, the entire point of the drink.

Heed notice though: even Mexicoke is switching over to HFC. Only the smaller bottles still have cane sugar, the slightly bigger ones are HFC.

I don't think mountain dew has caffeine here either.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shogun wrote: »

America is the only country in the world that doesn't use cane sugar for coke. Welcome to the bassackwardness of the republican party. Not going to get into why it is the way it is but it does amount to horseshit.

Democrats are responsible for sugar quotas and agricultural subsidies too.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Treeloot wrote: »

Democrats are responsible for sugar quotas and agricultural subsidies too.

h/a is not the place for stupid political debates about sugar...

also dont remeber if there are meijers out on the east coast but im pretty sure their international aisle has it

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

First check some grocery stores nearby. Look for the row that has all the goya stuff. There is a chance there is mexicoke there. If its no dice there start looking for smaller shops that are still grocery stores. Look for something that is not american. My brother lives in Boston and I've called him but he didn't answer. If I find anything out I swear I'll report back.

Also check out a store called Bodega that shit is crazy.

The farm lobby is pretty bi-partisan, really, but you believe what you need to.

I have to insert a suggestion here - if there are a lot of Brazilians around and they have stores for their Brazilian trappings, you should also looking into some Brazilian soda. Aside from a minor chance of turning into the hulk, alot of them are really good.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've noticed in several Kroger's in the Hispanic section of the store, next to the Jesus candles, there's bottled Coca-Cola from Mexico. Of course, I live in Atlanta and do work for Coke...

tardcore on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If there are any Costcos in your area, it would be worth checking them out. I've seen them carry cases of Mexican Coke.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was amazed when I bought a bottle of Coke from the airport when I landed in Philadelphia last month. I was all "This tastes like Virgin Cola!"

I guess my point is that it doesn't have to be Mexican-sourced Coke that you're looking for.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    There is a Mexican restaurant here in Philly (near Geno's and Pat's) that serves it. I guess I could poke around and ask where they get theirs next time I'm in the area.

Actually I'm going down to South Street today so I'll stop by Steve's Steaks and ask for you and report back tonight. I actually went a couple of days ago and brought the glass bottle home with me. They're so pretty.

Mim on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eh hem, sorry I couldn't make it out. By the time I finished my hair and put clothes on a thunder storm brewed. Yay /sarcasm. I can try to go out there after school though unless Organichu beats me to it.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I called my brother he said to look in international food sections of grocery stores. However he could not name a place specifically that sells coke with sugar in it.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not just Mexico, pretty sure we are the only country that uses high fructose cat piss as a sugar substitute. All over Europe, Australia, even in Africa the coca-cola (and all soda pop) is made with sugar and tastes so very very much better.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mim wrote: »
    Eh hem, sorry I couldn't make it out. By the time I finished my hair and put clothes on a thunder storm brewed. Yay /sarcasm. I can try to go out there after school though unless Organichu beats me to it.

That storm almost flooded my basement.

I would be very happy if you could try again sometime, I think I speak for other Philadelphians in this thread when I ask you this favor.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just came back from Kroger and yes, they indeed sell bottles of Mexican Coca-Cola. It's around $1.75 in my area.

tardcore on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a beer distributor in Wayne, PA (not far from CC Philly) called the Beer Yard. On top of the amazing selection of beer they sell, they sell Mexican coke by the case. 24 bottles is like 26 bucks.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I used to see it all the time in my local costco.

hansens cane soda is disgusting, way too sweet. cane coca cola is a much mellower sweetness

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've always wondered why I've had some cokes that were amazing and some that just could not compare. Have you tried Sam's or Costco anywhere in the area? Also as a side question to anyone else here, are the cokes in the glass bottles all made with real sugar? I had one at the coke factory in Atlanta and it was THE best coke I've ever had, except it tasted nothing like any other coke I've had.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

look for mexican stores?

This may be hard to believe but Boston has a very low population of mexicans. However Boston has brazilians out the ass.

Tell me about it! Like that Brazilian guy on Harvard Ave. in Allston who wears the studded belt as a headband and chases the Korean people down the block doing racist faux-kung fu at them!

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Hell yeah I do!

La Favorita Market, corner of Harvard Ave and Farrington in Allston (Boston)

They also have Pepsi, Fanta, and a few others I can't remember, all in those beautiful, tall glass bottles

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cub which is owned by Supervalu has it in their international sections. I'm not sure if Supervalu has any east coast grocery stores, but I'd be willing to bet that if they did they might carry it.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg