As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Colonial Era "Special Forces"

GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
As the thread title says, I'm looking for Colonial era (my first thoughts were North America, but any area will do) special forces groups. To give an idea of what I'm looking for, and what I've already thought of, so far I've got: Roger's Rangers, The Green Mountain Boys, and Swamp Fox and his men.

Pretty much this part of history has always intrigued me, and I'm hoping to find my favorite group and buy a book on them for a more in depth look. Thanks.

Guffrey on

• SanguiniusSanguinius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Look up skirmishing regiments.

Peninsular war era riflemen, to be a bit more specific. Armed with Baker's rifles, they skirmished ahead of the main forces.

For a really good read, go check out the Sharpe series. Whilst he starts of as a redcoat musketeer at the start of the series, he ends up with the Rifles fighting in Spain (and other parts of the continent). All set in the early 1800's, so still very much colonial era.

Sanguinius on
  • GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm heading to look up Skirmishing Regiments now. That seems to be the problem, as the units I am looking for aren't tagged as Special Forces. I'll also have to look up those books. Thanks.

Guffrey on
  • locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since you've heard of Roger's Rangers I take it you have already read Northwest Passage? There is also a film starring Spencer Tracey as I recall.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, don't forget light cavalry. Reconnaissance, skirmishing, rapid communication--they did it all, and you can find examples of them in one form or another since the Persian empire and probably before.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Before the british empire committed their full army' strength to combat the rebellious colonies, they hired German mercenaries called Hessians. They were pretty badass, if I recall correctly.

Casual Eddy on