As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why do geeks look like geeks?

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    L*2*G*X wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    just strolling in, I thought this was funny
    ege02 wrote:
    Personally I despise people who wear shit they wear at home to school or something. Sandals + sweatpants = what the fuck man. Go shoot yourself.

Like Ege 02, 90% of humanity runs what pathetic grip they have on reality like biological automatons.
    They smoke themselves to death following movie stars, promote suicidally inept managers because they are taller, elect fundamentalist leaders because of photoshopped campaign posters...

That's why we have wars, global warming, hunger, poverty...
    solvable problems to nerds- but non-issues to the rest of the population. Now, Paris Hilton...

I'ts a 'way of things' that would see us still stuck in caves or freezing on a tundra. Genes don't care about sophistication. Genes can't read, write, melt metal, or allow more than 50 people to live together in any form of society.
    So when genes, through the plebs, are telling the dreamers and constructors of this world that they suck-

well it's time we either rewrite our genes or pull a Golgafrincham.

so... who gets the bathtub?

[cleans my own phone]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone who doesn't dress well probably doesn't place a high priority on attempting to satisfy shallow minded cocks who are willing to write them off at a glance.
    No one said that. I'm getting sick of people strawmanning.

Say what? I'm not strawmanning nothing. I'm just expressing how I see it. People who judge me based on my shoes are cocks, even if they are fucking awesome shoes. :|

desperaterobots on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ege02 wrote:
    Why should I respect them if they don't respect me? If they dress like shit that means they don't care about what I think of them, which means they disrespect me at some level.

No, if they dress "like shit" it means they don't care what you think of their appearance. That could be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it may not have occurred to them that you make judgements based on such a criteria. It's taken me, for instance, until my mid-20s to figure that out.

In certain environments (like academia, or among some social groups, or where people are usually in a uniform of some kind) you don't see as many people making judgements based on appearance.

This is especially relevant since the rules governing what constitutes "dressing well" are extremely arbitrary, so you need a fair amount of exposure to them before you even know what half of them are.
    Someone mentioned earlier that you shouldn't wear black shoes with a brown belt. I have no idea why that should be the case. Similarly, what constitutes a "good" hairstyle seems to change every six months. I'm of the opinion that figuring all this stuff out is too much effort too be worthwhile. I have enough hobbies already.

japan on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    japan wrote:
    ege02 wrote:
    Why should I respect them if they don't respect me? If they dress like shit that means they don't care about what I think of them, which means they disrespect me at some level.

No, if they dress "like shit" it means they don't care what you think of their appearance. That could be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it may not have occurred to them that you make judgements based on such a criteria. It's taken me, for instance, until my mid-20s to figure that out.

In certain environments (like academia, or among some social groups, or where people are usually in a uniform of some kind) you don't see as many people making judgements based on appearance.

This is especially relevant since the rules governing what constitutes "dressing well" are extremely arbitrary, so you need a fair amount of exposure to them before you even know what half of them are.
    Someone mentioned earlier that you shouldn't wear black shoes with a brown belt. I have no idea why that should be the case. Similarly, what constitutes a "good" hairstyle seems to change every six months. I'm of the opinion that figuring all this stuff out is too much effort too be worthwhile. I have enough hobbies already.
    I think the other point though is who the fuck wants respect from ege when he's content to be such a pompous ass about his right to that respect.

Though that says more about his inability to phrase things how he wants then perhaps who he is as a person.

electricitylikesme on
  • L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the other point though is who the fuck wants respect from ege when he's content to be such a pompous ass about his right to that respect.

Though that says more about his inability to phrase things how he wants then perhaps who he is as a person.

For Ege this is a moot point. But it's hard to convince my girlfriend that;

a: she only noticed me because I intently lost 10 kgs, started dressing smarter and worked on the 'do.
    b: this makes her no more or less shallow than 90% of the population, but it's still shallow.
    c: I can see all her other good qualities despite knowing she's shallow.

The solution is to avoid the topic altogether ;)

L*2*G*X on
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    See, theres a difference between someone who wears goofy ass out of style clothes and enjoys wearing them, knowing they're out of style or whatever, and the person who wears stained sweats and a ripped T-shirt and stares at the ground all day long. Its not the clothes, but the attidtude, and often times, the clothes are a good indicator of the person's attitude.

aesir on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    aesir wrote:
    See, theres a difference between someone who wears goofy ass out of style clothes and enjoys wearing them, knowing they're out of style or whatever, and the person who wears stained sweats and a ripped T-shirt and stares at the ground all day long. Its not the clothes, but the attidtude, and often times, the clothes are a good indicator of the person's attitude.

:^:

Janson on
    edited January 2007
    aesir wrote:

I don't follow. What attitude, and how does it relate to clothing?

japan on
    edited January 2007
    japan wrote:
    aesir wrote:

I don't follow. What attitude, and how does it relate to clothing?

Attitude towards life and other people in general, really. A person wearing dirty, worn clothes is more likely to live in a hovel, not pay as much attention to details at work, and generally be less considerate of others.

As a person who is not very much into fashion and who enjoys a fair few geeky pursuits, I'd rather spend money on computer equipment and DVDs than clothes, so I buy fairly basic and inoffensive t-shirts and jeans to wear. As much as I sometimes look in a shop window and crave an item of clothing, if it's not going to match the rest of my wardrobe it's not going to be a cost-effective purchase for me.

I really admire some women's fashion - I know several ladies who throw together really unusual items of clothing, all feminine skirts and velvets and ruffled lace, and they look fantastic, but although I wish I could emulate their style it would be quite expensive to do so and wouldn't be very practical for the type of lifestyle I lead.

Janson on
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    Attitude towards life and other people in general, really. A person wearing dirty, worn clothes is more likely to live in a hovel, not pay as much attention to details at work, and generally be less considerate of others.

I think personal hygiene is seperate issue, really. Clothes can be stained, old or worn, but still clean. I only really brought it up because that could have been me in ripped jeans and ancient t-shirt until relatively recently, and it wouldn't have occurred to me that people would draw conclusions based on it.

It's why I now seek out clothes that don't communicate anything in particular, because not only do I not understand how to go about crafting some kind of social message with clothing, it annoys me to think that people are interpreting the way I dress as such.

japan on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    japan wrote:
    Clothes can be stained, old or worn, but still clean. I only really brought it up because that could have been me in ripped jeans and ancient t-shirt until relatively recently, and it wouldn't have occurred to me that people would draw conclusions based on it.

What are you talking about, ripped jeans and ancient t-shirts are the height of fashion!

Seriously though, I spend lots of money on funky clothes and I appreciate looking good because I know first-hand the impression you can make on people by doing so. You don't have to do that. But I reserve the right to think you're slightly less than the person you could be if you don't put a bit of effort into your dress sense.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Clothes can be stained, old or worn, but still clean. I only really brought it up because that could have been me in ripped jeans and ancient t-shirt until relatively recently, and it wouldn't have occurred to me that people would draw conclusions based on it.

What are you talking about, ripped jeans and ancient t-shirts are the height of fashion!

Seriously though, I spend lots of money on funky clothes and I appreciate looking good because I know first-hand the impression you can make on people by doing so. You don't have to do that. But I reserve the right to think you're slightly less than the person you could be if you don't put a bit of effort into your dress sense.

I reserve the right to think you're slightly less than the person you coould be for allowing appearance to influence you to such a degree. :P

Part of it, I think, is that I have very strong tendencies towards Asperger's syndrome. I'm very, very bad at non-verbal communication, which is probably why I'm so dismissive of the influence of dress. In turn, that means I tend to regard time or money spent on my appearance (or, by extension, other people's time time and money spent on their's) as wasted. Given the anecdotal link between "geeks" and autistic-spectrum disorders I suspect that my experiences are far from unique.

japan on
  • MentholMenthol Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bleh. I don't think i look like a stereotypical geek.

I mean, sure, I'm a bit of a fatty. But i'm rather matronly. You'd expect me to have a few toddlers weaving through my skirts...

...When I'm not in black velvet and go-go boots.
    ...or when I'm not in a band-shirt and steel toed boots for work or greased up to the elbows under the hood of my car.
    ...or wearing a clean white scrubs shirt, a mask and latex gloves while I stitch up a cut on my neighbor's dog.
    ...or squinting at a canvas with a smear of paint on my cheek as I alternate between chewing on the end of a paintbrush and sipping foofy coffee.

It's all realative. It depends entirely on the situation at hand.

Menthol on
    sigbz8.jpg
    You're not L33T enough for IDI/RN FTP!
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:

Actually, they are. People will pay $150 each for them.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:

A discerning eye* can tell the difference between deliberately ripped jeans and worn ripped jeans, a vintage-T and an old, shabby t.

*actually most of the public - more than you'd think.

Janson on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Career Deviency

THAT is your answer.

Same as why so many gay people seem to affect the same "gay" mannerisms.

Or why so many so many white collar males play golf.

Or why so many members of any given group seem to share traits.

It's a semi-conscious reacting whereby a new member to any given group alters their behavior, not neccesarily knowingly, both to fit in with their new group, as well as to be identifiable as being a part of that group to the outside world.

The Gay example is one of the best, in our modern times. Many of us have known some one who, as soon as they came out, radically changed their behavior. This isn;t because homosexuality inherently causes people to behavethis way, nor are they being a "poser". It is simply that they percieve, on some level, that homosexuals should act that way, and affect their behavior accordingly, often without even realizing.

Evander on
  • AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:

A discerning eye* can tell the difference between deliberately ripped jeans and worn ripped jeans, a vintage-T and an old, shabby t.

Still, it shocks me that there are actually factories where all they do, more or less, is use heavy machinery to beat the everloving shit out of a pair of jeans.

And then get paid for it.

Agem on
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't really end up mattering. Anyone wearing torn jeans to anything remotely formal is just trying to get a reaction out of people, regardless of how much it cost to tear the jeans. For the sort of casual shit that allows torn jeans in the first place, as long as they're not indecent it still doesn't matter, just tells everyone how much money you like to throw at things.

What matters with jeans is quality of construction, and fit.

ViolentChemistry on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Janson wrote:
    bsjezz wrote:
    japan wrote:

I always found the actual ripped and worn jeans to be less retarded. That I can almost understand. Like, jeans are almost like leather, they mold to you after a while. They are really comfortable.

But paying money to look like that, but not really being more comfortable. Just dumb. Like, saying the fake effect looks better than the actual thing. Silly to me.

I'm not really much in favor of either, but I certainly don't think that cause some milasian kid tore them to look remotely like what some desginer in new your tore something to look like what someone in france tore something to look like what they saw on a homeless person in new york, it should be respected more.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited January 2007
    Oh and incidentally kids, there's an easier way to tell people you don't care what they think than dressing like a slob. It goes like this:
    fuckoffanddie0uo.jpg

ViolentChemistry on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I feel like I've just stepped onto the deeply angry Amish colony.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited January 2007
    what is that iregular mass growing on your face?

Do you have cancer or something?

redx on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:

The beard or the shitty camera fucking up white-balancing throughout the entire picture?

ViolentChemistry on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I actually tend to look down on pre-ripped jeans (OLOL THERE HE GOES BEING JUDGMENTAL AGAIN!!!) because that is pretty retarded. If your jeans got torn through natural wear and tear, that's fine, but it's pretty easy to tell when someone's jeans are pre-ripped and it just looks stupid.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:

The beard or the shitty camera fucking up white-balancing throughout the entire picture?

the beard.

it isn't very well maintained.

redx on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    I feel like I've just stepped onto the deeply angry Amish colony.
    Magnum P.I.: Woodstock

Hacksaw on
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I actually tend to look down on pre-ripped jeans (OLOL THERE HE GOES BEING JUDGMENTAL AGAIN!!!) because that is pretty retarded. If your jeans got torn through natural wear and tear, that's fine, but it's pretty easy to tell when someone's jeans are pre-ripped and it just looks stupid.
    Pre-ripped jeans don't have character. Battle-scars are one thing, butter churned with lies is another.

ViolentChemistry on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ...butter churned...

You're not helping the amish thing.

All rebelling against your Amish elders by using the internets.

Evander on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    redx wrote:

the beard.

Yeah, people I'm not interested in tend not to like it. That's why it and the hair stay. It's not like I'm going for formal or anything though. Shit, I'm wearing jeans and a Nintendo belt-buckle, the edge of my stereo just cuts that shit off.

Edit: As if any of you guys had the nuts to flip the entire thread the bird before I did it.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    redx wrote:

the beard.

Yeah, people I'm not interested in tend not to like it. That's why it and the hair stay. It's not like I'm going for formal or anything though. Shit, I'm wearing jeans and a Nintendo belt-buckle, the edge of my stereo just cuts that shit off.

Edit: As if any of you guys had the nuts to flip the entire thread the bird before I did it.

I don't actually have much of a camara at this point. And it is not a nuts thing.

Seriously man, it looks freaking awful. Might be the angle or something, but it is way to huge and bushy for your face, and it goes back too far down your neck.

redx on
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    redx wrote:
    redx wrote:

the beard.

I don't actually have much of a camara at this point. And it is not a nuts thing.

Seriously man, it looks freaking awful. Might be the angle or something, but it is way to huge and bushy for your face, and it goes back too far down your neck.
    It actually doesn't go down my neck. It stops at the top of my neck, because I stop it there with my razor every morning when I shave my upper-lip.

Edit: Fine then, you fools asked for it. It'll grow back, so give me a bit here and you'll have to see face instead of hair. That'll teach you.

ViolentChemistry on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Make sure to use lotion.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Malkor wrote:
    Make sure to use lotion.
    Why? I don't have a pleasant face, that's the whole point of covering it up.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pre-ripped jeans don't have character. Battle-scars are one thing, butter churned with lies is another.
    here, here.

though, i've bought some severely weakened jeans in the past that developed some holes in like, a month. i generally try to avoid jeans that look too crisp.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone who doesn't dress well probably doesn't place a high priority on attempting to satisfy shallow minded cocks who are willing to write them off at a glance.
    That is pretty much all the people trying to make whatever point they're making are sounding like. It is nigh on impossible to actually dress badly if you dress based on purpose.
    I agree.
    Somehow, people are managing to derive that people who aren't dressing nicely are however a lower class citizen.
    What do you mean "people are managing to derive?" If you mean, "people in this thread are interpreting more than a couple other people's comments that way," I agree. If you mean, "more than a couple people in this thread are actually saying anything that strong," I don't.

Say what? I'm not strawmanning nothing. I'm just expressing how I see it. People who judge me based on my shoes are cocks, even if they are fucking awesome shoes. :|
    That would be more valid if several people in this thread hadn't already delineated why they incorporate how people dress in their initial perception of people and act based on those perceptions. By choosing to ignore what we've already covered, you're wasting everyone's time. The only appropriate response to what you've said has already been said.

YosemiteSam on
    edited January 2007
    Somehow, people are managing to derive that people who aren't dressing nicely are however a lower class citizen.
    What do you mean "people are managing to derive?" If you mean, "people in this thread are interpreting more than a couple other people's comments that way," I agree. If you mean, "more than a couple people in this thread are actually saying anything that strong," I don't.
    I think it's safe to say I'm mostly reacting to ege's comments, but that's because he turned it into some bullshit about respect for him, neatly missing the point of, well, everything.

electricitylikesme on
    edited January 2007
    I think it's safe to say I'm mostly reacting to ege's comments, but that's because he turned it into some bullshit about respect for him, neatly missing the point of, well, everything.
    Fair enough, but I think a lot of valid arguments have been made in support of taking into consideration how people dress. Arguments that weren't colored with asinine comments and haven't been addressed.

YosemiteSam on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Believe it or not, dudes, people have a tendency judge other people based on appearances first, though perhaps not foremost. It's called a first impression. There's nothing "shallow" about it - none of us have time to delve into the depths of every single person's psyche, so we draw our own conclusions based on readily available criteria.

The way someone dresses in public is an indication of the way they want to present themselves to society. If you see someone walking around in sweatpants and a t-shirt, it gives you the initial impression that they just don't give a shit and aren't willing to put forth the slightest amount of effort to make themselves presentable. Whether or not that's a bad thing is entirely in the eye of the beholder, but it's a valid judgement nonetheless. Why do you think it's important to wear nice clothes to a job interview? It's not because the interviewer is shallow, it's because your choice of clothes is an immediate indication to them of how seriously you're taking the job offer. It's the same, to a lesser extent, in everyday life. Like it or not, people will judge you based on your appearances. Honestly, when someone dresses like a bum just to spite that, I find that the judgements people make about them are often more accurate than they like to admit.

Also, don't flick off the camera in a self-photo. Man, that's obnoxious.

Zek on
    edited January 2007
    Zek wrote:
    The way someone dresses in public is an indication of the way they want to present themselves to society.
    Right, but it's hardly as important a factor as you make it out to be, and it's fluid to the point of retarded, which is where this line of argument takes us because everyone's running around with definitions that are far too vague.
    Zek wrote:
    If you see someone walking around in sweatpants and a t-shirt, it gives you the initial impression that they just don't give a shit and aren't willing to put forth the slightest amount of effort to make themselves presentable.
    WHERE are they doing this? At the supermarket? Near a beach? Is it morning? Are they in a bar? Where? What is the context. People keep making points like this and it annoys the hell out of me because it's like we've suddenly removed the context of clothing. Every occasion has become a formal one.
    Zek wrote:
    Whether or not that's a bad thing is entirely in the eye of the beholder, but it's a valid judgement nonetheless. Why do you think it's important to wear nice clothes to a job interview? It's not because the interviewer is shallow, it's because your choice of clothes is an immediate indication to them of how seriously you're taking the job offer.
    This is hardly the case. The reality of the situation is more that you're trying to create certain emotional reactions in the interviewer. The clothes don't say how seriously you take the job offer, they make you look trustworthy, perhaps pragmatic and thorough. The reaction is much more subtle then "well he didn't wear a tie so clearly he doesn't take this seriously".
    Zek wrote:
    It's the same, to a lesser extent, in everyday life. Like it or not, people will judge you based on your appearances. Honestly, when someone dresses like a bum just to spite that, I find that the judgements people make about them are often more accurate than they like to admit.
    Well who? And what does dressing like a bum entail? This is particularly relevant in this thread because the question is why do geeks look like geeks and the answer is usually, they didn't always but have been socially ostracized and abused to the point where they're now dressing defensively because everytime they tried to be like other people they were called out and ridiculed on the fact.

If we want to define dressing like a bum as wearing unwashed clothes and smelling bad, while the reaction unlike ege's statement is hardly about respect and much more about "oh god I might catch a disease from this person".

electricitylikesme on
    edited January 2007
    Zek wrote:
    Whether or not that's a bad thing is entirely in the eye of the beholder, but it's a valid judgement nonetheless. Why do you think it's important to wear nice clothes to a job interview? It's not because the interviewer is shallow, it's because your choice of clothes is an immediate indication to them of how seriously you're taking the job offer.
    This is hardly the case. The reality of the situation is more that you're trying to create certain emotional reactions in the interviewer. The clothes don't say how seriously you take the job offer, they make you look trustworthy, perhaps pragmatic and thorough. The reaction is much more subtle then "well he didn't wear a tie so clearly he doesn't take this seriously".
    I don't know about you, but if I were interviewing someone for a serious job and they came in wearing casual clothes, I would consciously think exactly that.

That said, I think you're right that clothes aren't incredibly important, but I do think they matter.

YosemiteSam on