As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]elaide United

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008
    James wrote: »
    Hey syndalis, I wasn't going to say it in the other thread because it's kinda off topic, but if there are any other songs you want to collaborate on, I would be up for it. Or if not, that's cool too.

Fuck yeah. The voices I used for the one cover are not the extent of my capability, but I do have a fondness for the metal... and its hard to fit rock drums into Opera.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I was going to say Aquinas' Thesis.

would it be aquinas's thesis

or the first way?

There's a convention for this based on timeframe. I can't remember what it is though. I do know that there's an element to it that you don't expect.

I think it's something like "'s" for modern names, "'" for old-world names and the first one if they're from Ancient Greece prior to something or other.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The styleguide I used in college (I don't remember which, frankly, I think it was Chicago) said to use 's except for historical and religious figures. In other words "James's brother is sick," versus "Jesus' apostles wept."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    UK and Canada say no extra s, America says add the extra s. All three use slightly different English, though anyone who knows anything will tell you that Canadian English is better.

James on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    If I was going to say Aquinas' Thesis.

would it be aquinas's thesis

or the first way?

There's a convention for this based on timeframe. I can't remember what it is though. I do know that there's an element to it that you don't expect.

I think it's something like "'s" for modern names, "'" for old-world names and the first one if they're from Ancient Greece prior to something or other.
    I seem to remember the Aussie's I knew having learned a different style standard than what I was taught as an American regarding the possessive s.

There was also something British / Aussie like you're supposed to say "the pages of the book" as opposed to "the book's pages" which I frankly think is bullshit.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have to know what context you base your disagreement on. I need to know one seriously good reason how saying this person is a man and can do X or this person is a woman and can do Y has ever advanced society.

people are people dude. nothing else matters.
    I like and want to preserve "boy/girl" gender distinctions, defined primarily along the basis of biological sex.

I want "boy/girl" gender definitions to be less restrictive on both sides of the fence, and I want to reduce and/or eliminate the power disparity between those two, but I do still want limits, restrictions, and traditional definitions to help guide us and hold our society together.

Fashion, as a result, is wrapped up in this, and I'm pretty okay with that. I'm hoping this tangentially answers Mike's question.

Being able to wear whatever I want, whenever I want, is not just a revolution I don't care about, it's a revolution I don't want to happen. People always group and define each other, and that's fine, a-okay, just keen and dandy by me. I want to be able to self-select things like fashion to help group and define myself along with them. What I want is to eliminate the (gross*) power disparities between groups, but not the groups themselves.

Make any sense?

*because seriously there will always be some power disparity, and frankly that's a good thing.

People always group and define each other for the wrong reasons :|

strict biological roles is one of them. i don't think having an open concept of gender would ever hurt our society in anyway. yeah it'd be harder to judge a book by it's cover but shit that's our problem.

(i know, obviously you can't read every book so you have to have stereotypes. The underlying problem with this type of thinking is that we don't want to read every book because society as a whole is impersonal, selfish, and bigoted.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hey syndalis, I wasn't going to say it in the other thread because it's kinda off topic, but if there are any other songs you want to collaborate on, I would be up for it. Or if not, that's cool too.

Fuck yeah. The voices I used for the one cover are not the extent of my capability, but I do have a fondness for the metal... and its hard to fit rock drums into Opera.

Unless it's a rock opera! :P

James on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apo and I apparently used the same style guide.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have this bump with no external discoloring or scarring between my chin and my lower lip, which has been exhibiting gross spasms for the entirety of the day. The spasms are absolutely ceaseless. If I open my mouth they are plainly gross, I can see them from the two feet or so I'm standing in front of the mirror, and if I put my finger there I can also very obviously feel them.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    So excited I can't sleep.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I left my car under a tree over the weekend and didn't check it yesterday. This morning it was covered in bird shit and I didn't have time to clean it before taking it for its MOT. I felt a bit bad about that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    UK and Canada say no extra s, America says add the extra s. All three use slightly different English, though anyone who knows anything will tell you that Canadian English is better.

um...no.

English...from England...therefore, ours is the best.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    (a) Explain Austin's account of the nature or analysis of law; that is, explain in detail the various concepts or ideas into which he analyzed the concept of law. (b) Explain how, in Austin's view, positive law is different from positive morality, the laws of God, and customary laws. Explain how and why customary laws may become positive law.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »

um...no.

Yeah I still like my old cell phone

80-brick-phone.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    (a) Explain Austin's account of the nature or analysis of law; that is, explain in detail the various concepts or ideas into which he analyzed the concept of law. (b) Explain how, in Austin's view, positive law is different from positive morality, the laws of God, and customary laws. Explain how and why customary laws may become positive law.
    I've only read Sense and Sensibility so I can't really give a very broad answer.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was sure it was always s'. s's looks silly.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    So I have this bump with no external discoloring or scarring between my chin and my lower lip, which has been exhibiting gross spasms for the entirety of the day. The spasms are absolutely ceaseless. If I open my mouth they are plainly gross, I can see them from the two feet or so I'm standing in front of the mirror, and if I put my finger there I can also very obviously feel them.

Also, it is affecting motion of my jaw. It makes my mouth go the wrong shape when I'm trying to talk, or my mouth will open and shut if I'm not forcibly keeping my jaw clenched and focusing intently on that.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Pain? Tingling? Numbness?

Are they centered, on one side, in a line, spread out?

Feral on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008

Also, it is affecting motion of my jaw. It makes my mouth go the wrong shape when I'm trying to talk, or my mouth will open and shut if I'm not forcibly keeping my jaw clenched and focusing intently on that.
    I am not gonna even bother trying to figure this one out.

See a doctor. Spasms = bad.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

strict biological roles is one of them. i don't think having an open concept of gender would ever hurt our society in anyway. yeah it'd be harder to judge a book by it's cover but shit that's our problem.

(i know, obviously you can't read every book so you have to have stereotypes. The underlying problem with this type of thinking is that we don't want to read every book because society as a whole is impersonal, selfish, and bigoted.)
    Yes, people are bigoted. That's why I'm a progressive.

In my rush for change, though, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater (or whatever that fucking cliche is). I, for example, want to be able to define myself as a non-Christian by not wearing religious imagery, and have those dumb fucks plaster Jesus fish and crosses all over so I know who they are. Does that make me a bigot? Of course, but it's also part of life. Grouping is simply a fundamental of human existence. Ascribing attributes based on grouping isn't, in and of itself, a negative thing. The extent to which you act on those pre-judgments is, along with the power disparities which come about as a result.

But, like -- I like Xbox 360. I don't like PS3. If I have an Xbox 360 avatar or some shit, and somebody on here has a PS3 avatar, before we even speak we know we have different tastes in videogames <--- this is an example of benign and useful grouping. The revolution only can (and should) go so far.

• Options
    edited September 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »

um...no.

Well, Canadian English is the same as British, but we've added some French stuff in. Like metre, centre, theatre, colour, defence, cheque.

edit: wait, defence is British. But still!

James on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've only read Sense and Sensibility so I can't really give a very broad answer.

Noo I don't want one. I'm just writing these here paper and I like to let you guys know what question i'm on.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay -- actually have to go to bed now. Good talking to y'all.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grouping by football team is the best grouping.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Noo I don't want one. I'm just writing these here paper and I like to let you guys know what question i'm on.
    T'was a joke. I'm pretty sure you aren't actually talking about Jane Austin with that question. Unless she had some pretty heavy surgery and started writing a couple of things on law.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes, people are bigoted. That's why I'm a progressive.

In my rush for change, though, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater (or whatever that fucking cliche is). I, for example, want to be able to define myself as a non-Christian by not wearing religious imagery, and have those dumb fucks plaster Jesus fish and crosses all over so I know who they are. Does that make me a bigot? Of course, but it's also part of life. Grouping is simply a fundamental of human existence. Ascribing attributes based on grouping isn't, in and of itself, a negative thing. The extent to which you act on those pre-judgments is, along with the power disparities which come about as a result.

But, like -- I like Xbox 360. I don't like PS3. If I have an Xbox 360 avatar or some shit, and somebody on here has a PS3 avatar, before we even speak we know we have different tastes in videogames <--- this is an example of benign and useful grouping. The revolution only can (and should) go so far.

I really don't disagree with anything you said there but unfortunately I don't see how strict preservation of gender roles in relation to sex comes into play. It's clearly very much a different thing as the labels you have mentioned are all chosen whereas sex is an ascribed thing. Judging and grouping people by ascribed things is very very very very bad.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »

There's no extant pain, but the entire lower half of my face is abnormally sensitive and becomes more-so towards the locus. I could hardly shower because putting my face or head in the water caused enough 'discomfort' (absolute, divorced from pain, just discomfort) that I wanted to tear my face off. Same goes for a hair brushing against it or anything like that.

It's a single locus with the small protrusion that, when I press against, does produce uncharacteristic pain which is felt not just at the locus but along the entirety of the muscle lining my lower jawbone (all the way to the left side, though the locus is on the right). The spasms are lateral and asymmetrical, and tend to come in groups but have been consistent throughout the day.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Obo i think picture + H/A is the way to go on this one.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, rule out the easy answer (nutrition) because I'm keeping very faithfully to a complete diet, at [decent] calorie, protein, fiber, and fat intake supplemented by a complete multivitamin (that I have taken with no complications for years, so it's also not the multivitamin).

EDIT: I'll make an H/A thread tomorrow if it doesn't go away, I guess. Fair enough. All roads lead to doctors, though, so it's more an issue of figuring out how I'll swing that if necessary.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh man, chocolate covered cherries are delicious.

Also, through no suggestion of my own, as in all of my scene partners approached me with these scene ideas, the next 4 scenes I'm doing involve making out with beautiful women. And one dude.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Fuck Austin and his command theory of law. I don't think the person with the biggest gun telling me what to do really counts as law. Also, tacit commands are a farce which Austin always retreats to in order to preserve his precious sovereign.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit, Bad Kitty!

I haven't seen you in forever.

Also, <3 Gunnerkrigg Court.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

There's no extant pain, but the entire lower half of my face is abnormally sensitive and becomes more-so towards the locus. I could hardly shower because putting my face or head in the water caused enough 'discomfort' (absolute, divorced from pain, just discomfort) that I wanted to tear my face off. Same goes for a hair brushing against it or anything like that.

It's a single locus with the small protrusion that, when I press against, does produce uncharacteristic pain which is felt not just at the locus but along the entirety of the muscle lining my lower jawbone (all the way to the left side, though the locus is on the right). The spasms are lateral and asymmetrical, and tend to come in groups but have been consistent throughout the day.
    Slight change -- there are three gross loci. One is between my chin and my lower lip, and then there are two additional ones in a line moving distal and anterior, the most " " of which is parallel to my upper lip and maybe an inch and a half away distal-right from the largest locus. All of them are visible bumps with no discoloration or scarring. Only the largest has a pain response.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's difficult to say what's going on, but my off-the-cuff, layperson's guess is it might be shingles.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Fuck Austin and his command theory of law. I don't think the person with the biggest gun telling me what to do really counts as law. Also, tacit commands are a farce which Austin always retreats to in order to preserve his precious sovereign.

It's okay! because the next part is.

(a)Explain Hart's three fundamental criticisms of Austin. (b) Articulate Hart's account of the nature of law as a union of primary and secondary rules; that is, explain the nature of primary and secondary rules, the problems associated with a (primative) legal system based solely on primary rules, and how secondary rules help to address these problems.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's difficult to say what's going on, but my off-the-cuff, layperson's guess is it might be shingles.

I had shingles, and while the symptoms seem to fit the early onset (only I didn't have spasms at all) shingles is most commonly found on the back and sides of your torso.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, shingles is described as a "painful rash" and presents with non-specific symptoms prior such as fever and malaise ... and all of that, from the non-specifics to the rash to the extant pain, is absent.

It might also be worth bringing up at this point my previous battle with a spastic disorder that went ultimately undiagnosed several weeks ago, though that one was markedly different in location and the fact it brought with it a debilitating amount of pain (and we had that whole thing with the ER trip and me being put on Percocet, yadda yadda).

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Greetings [chat].

anyone ever have experience with their employer screwing up their paycheck? This gets annoying to deal with on a monthly basis and starts to concern me when i have a month of PTO coming up where I will be out of country and out of touch to yell at someone when they inevitably screw my pay up again.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy shit, Bad Kitty!

I haven't seen you in forever.

Also, <3 Gunnerkrigg Court.

Never posted that much anyway, and being a 2L sucks even more than being a 1L, if that's even possible.

I <3 Gunnerkrigg's current arc. Zimmy is always awesome and I wasn't expecting the change in direction. Seems like I'm the only one who's favourite character is Antimony though. She's not a mary sue, she's just stoic and reserved.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, shingles is described as a "painful rash" and presents with non-specific symptoms prior such as fever and malaise ... and all of that, from the non-specifics to the rash to the extant pain, is absent.

It might also be worth bringing up at this point my previous battle with a spastic disorder that went ultimately undiagnosed several weeks ago, though that one was markedly different in location and the fact it brought with it a debilitating amount of pain (and we had that whole thing with the ER trip and me being put on Percocet, yadda yadda).

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't really know.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.