As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's a Snake in my Room

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    3.7 Taxonomy, Colubridae

The name derives from the Latin "coluber", which means snake. This group includes more than 50 species distributed over 30 genera which have caused clinically significant venomous bites. Yet, only a few are genuinely dangerous. They have short small fangs on the maxillae at the back of the mouth (Opisthoglypha) [opistho = at the back], so that they have to open their mouth very wide (170 to 180° ) to inject venom. They also require a long contact period to introduce enough venom into the bite wound. Colubrids are often kept as pets, e.g. Elaphe sp. (rat snakes) or Lampropeltis sp. (king snakes, milk snakes). Some colubrids strangle their prey (e.g. Lampropeltis sp.). Thelothornis kirtlandii (vine snake) is a moderately dangerous, very thin snake with horizontal, keyhole-shaped pupils. These animals often slide over the ground with the front part of the body somewhat raised. The boomslang (Dispholidus typhus) in southern Africa is another dangerous colubrid, yet bites by this animal are quite exceptional. Haemorrhages are the most obvious symptom after a bite by a boomslang. Both Rhabdophis tigrinus (Japanese garter snake or yamakagashi) and Rhabdophis subminiatus (red-necked keelback) can inflict fatal bites.

Also: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/snakebite/article_em.htm at the bottom of the 1st page.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Snake? Snake!?!
    SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Badger%20coming%20out%20of%20sett.jpg

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ohshitabadger

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man now I need to watch the Duck Tales movie again

I have it on VHS still.

TankHammer on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have it on VHS still.

More like I do :-p

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2008

I have it on VHS still.

More like I do :-p

Well... yeah. If we ever split up though I'm taking you to court for custody.

TankHammer on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I used to think Badgers were the best animals ever. I wanted one as a pet. One day I actually read about them though and turns out they are some aggressive sons of bitches.

Now I just want a sloth.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    badgers have been known to kill bears.

bears.

Metzger Meister on
    edited October 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    I used to think Badgers were the best animals ever. I wanted one as a pet. One day I actually read about them though and turns out they are some aggressive sons of bitches.

Now I just want a sloth.

Sloths are covered in gross. You'd have to get a newborn and give it baths fairy often so it doesn't become a moss-covered den of matted fur.

Personally I think I'd like a hedgehog.

TankHammer on
    edited October 2008

Now I just want a sloth.

Sloths are covered in gross. You'd have to get a newborn and give it baths fairy often so it doesn't become a moss-covered den of matted fur.

Maybe an Echidna?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    For some reason, I can't stand seeing a live mouse being feed to a snake. Whenever I see it happen, I'm just scream at the mouse to run.

you god damn monster, are you devoid of all humanity?
    For wanting a mouse to get away from a snake?

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Now I just want a sloth.

Maybe an Echidna?
    get a chinchilla. or a sugar glider.

Metzger Meister on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I used to have three Chinchillas, they're pretty awesome.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited October 2008
    they sure are.

Metzger Meister on
    edited October 2008
    Is there a small mammal I could train to sit on my shoulder and fetch things for me? I think I'd like one of those.

No monkeys though, they smell.

TankHammer on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fun fact: sloths actually let algea grow on them and then eat it as a snack

Faricazy on
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    fun fact: sloths actually let algea grow on them and then eat it as a snack

The most patient of all God's creatures.

Oh my Lord! SLOTHS INVENTED AGRICULTURE!!

TankHammer on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sloths are too lazy to go down to the patent office and patent agriculture

Faricazy on
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bowen wrote: »

Also: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/snakebite/article_em.htm at the bottom of the 1st page.

Okay, it still doesn't make much sense or seems to be a common usage. The Japanese would just call it the Japanese name and if you're messing around where those snakes live, you better know Japanese. Why not just call them a Japanese water snake?
    Your original point is still pretty accurate though, Japan gets some nasty creatures. Especially the Giant Hornets, those scare the hell out of me.

Iloveslimes on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For some reason, I can't stand seeing a live mouse being feed to a snake. Whenever I see it happen, I'm just scream at the mouse to run.

you god damn monster, are you devoid of all humanity?
    For wanting a mouse to get away from a snake?

Snake gotta eat!

august on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Now I just want a sloth.

my hedgehog is the best :D

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there a small mammal I could train to sit on my shoulder and fetch things for me? I think I'd like one of those.

No monkeys though, they smell.

In theory a ferret

Straightzi on
    edited October 2008
    man, monkeys smell less then damn ferrets. plus you can get the monkey to leap onto your enemies' faces and jerk off, thus winning the battle as they retreat in disgust.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ferrets really don't smell if you take care of them at all

Straightzi on
    edited October 2008
    I remember seeing a David Attenborough documentary. He's just going through some garden all cheery as usual. This segment was about the hedgehog. He began with the usual information, and soon was retelling the history of how the hedgehog was believed to mate. See, animal studiers of older, sillier times believed that there was absolutely no way a hedgehog could mate normally, what with all those spines. They believed that the hedgehog must employ some bizarre ritual in order to have sex. In reality, the real answer to the question of how hedgehogs mate is "very carefully".

Then 2 minutes of watching hedgehogs mate.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Badgers were the best animals in Redwall

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited October 2008

Okay, it still doesn't make much sense or seems to be a common usage. The Japanese would just call it the Japanese name and if you're messing around where those snakes live, you better know Japanese. Why not just call them a Japanese water snake?
    Your original point is still pretty accurate though, Japan gets some nasty creatures. Especially the Giant Hornets, those scare the hell out of me.

It's just the US bastardization I guess. They only get their poison from their food source and are otherwise pretty similar to garter snakes.

Those hornets are disturbing.

bowen on
    edited October 2008
    Those giant hornets are terrifying. From a website, talking about the sting of the suzumebachi: Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University near Tokyo, described the sensation as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg."
    I have a phobia about wasps and hornets and I first learned about the giant Japanese hornets when one of the schools I worked at was having a nest removed. Then the next week, a suzumebachi flew into my classroom. The kids were swatting at it and I was trying not panic. That sucked a lot.

Iloveslimes on
    edited October 2008
    Those giant hornets are terrifying. From a website, talking about the sting of the suzumebachi: Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University near Tokyo, described the sensation as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg."
    I have a phobia about wasps and hornets and I first learned about the giant Japanese hornets when one of the schools I worked at was having a nest removed. Then the next week, a suzumebachi flew into my classroom. The kids were swatting at it and I was trying not panic. That sucked a lot.

Was it a normal hornet? My Japanese is a little nonexistent.

Funny how that's hornet in Chinese and Japanse it's "vespine wasp"

bowen on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Funny how that's hornet in Chinese and Japanse it's "vespine wasp"

I never ever want to ever meet one of those giant hornets, or even any rather large stinging insect.
    I like to avoid those sorts of things when I can.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know monkeys and dolphins have sex for fun, but one thing you never see any of these damn nature programs reporting on is whether or not any animals in the world masturbate.

That just seems like something people should know about.

sarukun on
    edited October 2008
    They'll know about it when I have a monkey that does it in their face.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    So's Quetzi got himself eat by a garter snake yet?

Killjoy on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    when i was a kid i used to catch garter snakes, they are cool lil duders

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Garter snakes don't even have teeth...all they do is stink up your hands a little bit.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
    edited October 2008

Funny how that's hornet in Chinese and Japanese it's "vespine wasp"

No, it was one of the huge fucking ones. I was not happy at all. Sorry, I should have been clear when I started alternating the terms.

Iloveslimes on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Funny how that's hornet in Chinese and Japanese it's "vespine wasp"

No, it was one of the huge fucking ones. I was not happy at all. Sorry, I should have been clear when I started alternating the terms.

It's even worse when they're attached to women.
    Oh god what a terrible reference

shoot me now

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember when i was like 12, we caught his huge (like 16 inch) gardner snake, in a bottled water bottle, i cant remember what we di with it after that, but it probably involved someones little brother/sister

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited October 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    I know monkeys and dolphins have sex for fun, but one thing you never see any of these damn nature programs reporting on is whether or not any animals in the world masturbate.

That just seems like something people should know about.

I remember reading one time that porcupines do

I found this fascinating and altogether mysterious

Straightzi on