As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR]: White Cloaks are the New Black

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The DAoC area is the front of Camelot.
    Thank you. Changed and credit given.
    Klyka wrote: »
    Wait,where are those "winds of chaos"???
    There's a portal behind the giant arena in the IC that's reachable by jumping across the floating rocks. There are some other Easter Eggs leading up to it as well, like a Dread Sentry poking a man who is holding on the the edge of a floating rock with his sword.

By the way, why is IC so much INFINITELY COOLER than Altdorf?

I think you already know.
    Because you're Order.

Also, yeah, I didn't recognize the DAoC area as Cotswald because I only played Mids. I didn't even get that far either, but I had a Troll Berserker and a little Thane that I hardly used at all.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because it's Chaos.

But I was reading a list of the PQs available in Altdorf, they sounded kind of cool.
    The only PQ I've personally seen in the IC is the one with the Angered Souls.

Selner on
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Itemization for upper levels (at least for clothies) is complete balls right now, greens are better than purples, up is down, cats are befriending dogs, it's crazy out there!

Well, I'm only lvl12.
    But I'm using a lvl7 Staff (one of those broken staves that I repaired) that has +27 Int on it as my Waaagh!/PvE staff. I've got a +30 Will for my Healing/RvR staff.

The blue staff in the blue bag was only like +18 int, +10 init and +something willpower.
    I don't think I really care about the +10 init. Unless I'm wrong there.

Initiative is okay as a defensive stat, it doesn't seem to have quite the impact that wounds or toughness does unless you can stack a ton of it (as with any avoidance type stat.)

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Because it's Chaos.

But I was reading a list of the PQs available in Altdorf, they sounded kind of cool.

I've seen I think 5 PQs in IC. I've completed one. There's a level 20 one in the plagued area, a level 40 one inside the Monolith, and the level 40 berserk troll in the Arena. I forgot what the other one was, I think is was to kill Marauders so it may have been part two of the plague one.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Itemization for upper levels (at least for clothies) is complete balls right now, greens are better than purples, up is down, cats are befriending dogs, it's crazy out there!

Well, I'm only lvl12.
    But I'm using a lvl7 Staff (one of those broken staves that I repaired) that has +27 Int on it as my Waaagh!/PvE staff. I've got a +30 Will for my Healing/RvR staff.

The blue staff in the blue bag was only like +18 int, +10 init and +something willpower.
    I don't think I really care about the +10 init. Unless I'm wrong there.

Initiative is okay as a defensive stat, it doesn't seem to have quite the impact that wounds or toughness does unless you can stack a ton of it (as with any avoidance type stat.)

That's an illusion, though. If you increase your resistance to a damage type by 2%, it's the exact same thing as reducing your chance to be hit by moves of that type by 2%. Your overall damage taken will be almost identical. Where it makes a difference is that the toughness and wounds in this case are more reliable, since they're always there, where the initiative requires luck.

The example isn't perfect because initiative doesn't protect against the same stuff as T and W, but against anyone who isn't stacking crit chance, you can be sure their DPS is going to suffer against you due to the lack of big hits, and anyone who does focus on crit chance is generally going to get around anti-crit defense anyway.

Rend on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're fast enough, you can sprint out of the map boundaries in the frozen crater of the Winds of Change. Then it won't port you back, but you'll crater on the invisible bottom of the world and get ported back to your bind point anyway. This also works sometimes if you jump out of the crow's nest or the ships in the creepy mist mountain area, but instead of cratering way down below the world, you land in invisible water just below the lowest ship and die from falling damage anyway.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On another note, EU Karak Eight Peaks had it's first City siege on Altdorf. There may have been some bugs associated with it, as a fortress protecting Altdorf was bugged and did not do the job. Mythic may be looking at this since it allowed a city siege way earlier than their projections.

Massively.com has a story on it.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because it's Chaos.

On the subject of Altdorf quests, I found a great one yesterday on my 27 Witch Hunter (I think it was part of a chain in Highpass). One of the Witch Hunters wandering around the city says she's heard rumors of marauder sympathizers in the Slums, and I should go question the peasants and root out the traitors.

As it turns out of course, no matter who you talk to in the slums, they're guilty and need burning.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    If you're fast enough, you can sprint out of the map boundaries in the frozen crater of the Winds of Change. Then it won't port you back, but you'll crater on the invisible bottom of the world and get ported back to your bind point anyway. This also works sometimes if you jump out of the crow's nest or the ships in the creepy mist mountain area, but instead of cratering way down below the world, you land in invisible water just below the lowest ship and die from falling damage anyway.

I didn't know about getting out of the crater, but you can bet your ass I jumped out of the flying ship. It ported me on top of the rock, dead and drowned, floating in mid air.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    On another note, EU Karak Eight Peaks had it's first City siege on Altdorf. There may have been some bugs associated with it, as a fortress protecting Altdorf was bugged and did not do the job. Mythic may be looking at this since it allowed a city siege way earlier than their projections.

Finally I'm playing an MMO on a server that's not lightyears behind everyone else!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Finally I'm playing an MMO on a server that's not lightyears behind everyone else!

Now it's just us that are lightyears behind!

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But were you there?

On the ground with bullets whizzing by your head?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

But were you there?

On the ground with bullets whizzing by your head?

I was.

Well, my account was.

Well... No I wasn't!

But at least I can say "haha I'm from an awesome server and you're not haha"

Also,we need mor guildies. Where all the european players at?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because it's Chaos.

On the subject of Altdorf quests, I found a great one yesterday on my 27 Witch Hunter (I think it was part of a chain in Highpass). One of the Witch Hunters wandering around the city says she's heard rumors of marauder sympathizers in the Slums, and I should go question the peasants and root out the traitors.

As it turns out of course, no matter who you talk to in the slums, they're guilty and need burning.

Well, duh. They're not paying taxes.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Because it's Chaos.

Well, duh. They're not paying taxes.

I can relate to their methods!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The DAoC area is the front of Camelot.
    Thank you. Changed and credit given.
    Wait,where are those "winds of chaos"???
    There's a portal behind the giant arena in the IC that's reachable by jumping across the floating rocks. There are some other Easter Eggs leading up to it as well, like a Dread Sentry poking a man who is holding on the the edge of a floating rock with his sword.

The setting may be, but Altdorf has way more character:

When walking the slums of Altdorf, *never* attempt to help young women screaming about "beasts in my house", unless you feel sufficiently confidient in your sword arm.

Also, do not touch the man's beer.

Also, according to Mythic, blue items are not supposed to be better than green. One is lesser benefit to more stats, the other is more focused with better benefits.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I've noticed that blue items have like +5 to all stats instead of green, which is like +40 wounds/toughness/initiative/whatever. Also green can be like +20 to 2 stats.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But blue items do typically have more armor than green items at the same level. They seem to have the armor of a green item two level higher.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It fits with the stated concept of parallel advancement through gear, rather than linear.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been getting a super weird bug with Punk Buster in game...

It will popup and spout some IP address.

It then creates a survey button sorta like there was in preview weekend, but the timer keeps resetting.. 2:00, 1:59, 2:00, 1:59.. and every time the timer resets a blank survey window pops up covering half my screen.

Zoning seems to fix it (entering or exiting a scenario) but it kept coming back again. Hitting the close button, submit button, take survey buttons all did the same thing, which was to close the window, but the timer would reopen it.

Problem started when I found a neat little Spider PQ type area in Chaos Ch 2, just SW of the Sorcerers Axiom. There were wiggling people wrapped in coccoons that I could rescue, but it didnt reward me with anything.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, so the reason our dudes are fucking up Altdorf or whatever is because whilst their final keep was supposed to be super hard to take down, our peeps walked round the back and used the Order door to get in?

If so that's fucking awesome and we deserve faction wide buffs (but not to our already towering intellect, obviously).

815165 on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    WEs and Marauders have a self buff that should allow them to get through the back door, but nobody else should have been let through.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Blue dot of shamlessness!!!! I hope they fixed the reason I was crashing so I can enjoy the damn game on 1 stick of RAM! TOMORROW YOU WILL BE MINE HOPEFULLY FINE MOBO!

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been getting a super weird bug with Punk Buster in game...

It will popup and spout some IP address.

It then creates a survey button sorta like there was in preview weekend, but the timer keeps resetting.. 2:00, 1:59, 2:00, 1:59.. and every time the timer resets a blank survey window pops up covering half my screen.

Zoning seems to fix it (entering or exiting a scenario) but it kept coming back again. Hitting the close button, submit button, take survey buttons all did the same thing, which was to close the window, but the timer would reopen it.

Problem started when I found a neat little Spider PQ type area in Chaos Ch 2, just SW of the Sorcerers Axiom. There were wiggling people wrapped in coccoons that I could rescue, but it didnt reward me with anything.
    they said they put a fix up for this already, you need to restart warhammer to download it

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    That's an illusion, though. If you increase your resistance to a damage type by 2%, it's the exact same thing as reducing your chance to be hit by moves of that type by 2%. Your overall damage taken will be almost identical. Where it makes a difference is that the toughness and wounds in this case are more reliable, since they're always there, where the initiative requires luck.

The example isn't perfect because initiative doesn't protect against the same stuff as T and W, but against anyone who isn't stacking crit chance, you can be sure their DPS is going to suffer against you due to the lack of big hits, and anyone who does focus on crit chance is generally going to get around anti-crit defense anyway.

Not entirely, without any hard numbers to back this up: The primary value of crit is keeping up crit-based buffs, so the more you crit, the better uptime you'll have with buffs. Crit-based things usually have a threshhold of crit where they become drastically less effective, so if you have just a little bit of initiative, the likelihood of reducing the opponents crit chance beyond that threshhold is minute, but if you have a lot of initiative, the likelihood of reducing your opponents crit to the point where they can no longer take advantage of their crucial crit buffs is much, much higher.

Also, anecdotally speaking, when I stacked a bunch of toughness and initiative, I still felt squishy as hell. When I switched to stacking wounds, I suddenly got a lot (subjectively speaking) beefier, your mileage may vary.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    WEs and Marauders have a self buff that should allow them to get through the back door, but nobody else should have been let through.

Heh can you imagine how broken RvR would be if everyone just rolled all WH/WL/WE/MA's and just ignored the front door to keeps.

Morkath on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    hazywater wrote: »

Heh can you imagine how broken RvR would be if everyone just rolled all WH/WL/WE/MA's and just ignored the front door to keeps.

Step one you get three or four sorceresses/BWs/Maguses/engineers

You can work out the rest

Ledneh on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    See that breaks the whole, "everyone rolls"

:)

Morkath on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap on a stick. I got new robes just now, went to dye them...when I hit accept, I had my goblin CE face on. I didn't put it in the box, and the item is out of my inventory (I was keeping it in case I got bored somewhere down the line and actually wanted to use it, even though I hate the goofy grin). Logging in and out didn't help. Bleh.

Ecko on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Um

Then everyone gets very dead and frustrated when the Keep Lord and Champions massacre them wholesale on account of the lack of tanks and healers

Ledneh on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ecko wrote: »
    Crap on a stick. I got new robes just now, went to dye them...when I hit accept, I had my goblin CE face on. I didn't put it in the box, and the item is out of my inventory (I was keeping it in case I got bored somewhere down the line and actually wanted to use it, even though I hate the goofy grin). Logging in and out didn't help. Bleh.

Just right click the box where the head should be and it should come off. That's what I did anyway.

Jebu on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, so I've played a Black Orc to almost 20 and so far I'm getting the feeling that I'm just a tool used by others to have a good time in this game.

I like the cover mechanic. That's great, but I can't kill a FUCKING thing.
    I don't want to be Rambo, but if I fucking separate and corner another player through superior tactics and playing I should reap the reward of being able to knock him on his ass and send him for a trip to the graveyard.

But not in this game.

As a tank I'm supposed to do my duty and just be a wall for someone to be careless and stupid as fuck.

I absolutely MUST rely on someone to even kill another player. It's not feasible for my class to do it 1v1. Not in a scenario setting. I'm not talking about some asshole walking along and upsetting the balance, I'm talking about how I snare someone and simply can not do enough damage to eat through the potion that's 5 levels too low for him to kill him.

I have to have someone helping me to kill someone.

Is that right? Is that how it's supposed to be? Other classes can be mavericks and can engage and be potent in 1v1 but not tanks. They're purpose is to sit there with SAVE DA RUNTS on and pick their ass because they're useless otherwise.

Is that pretty much the dev mentality on "Tank" AT RvR?

It must be since the moment that I put on my 2-hander (which is a FUCKING SHITTY switch off for what you lose in armor and block) I get murdered immediately.

I can understand why there might be a tank shortage, they aren't a terrible amount of fun to play. Maybe it's Black Orcs, Da Plan, and their absolute requirement to use a shield.
    Black Orcs look fantastic though. The personality of class is the only upswing to it for me really.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It may be a bit early in the game to make final judgements on the class. I understand the frustration, believe me I do. I play 2 tanks myself.

I think we have to wait for the game to mature a little bit and we can then see how the class develops and how it plays at max rank.

I do share your concerns about the class and I would like to hear if anyone has any feedback.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know if Blorcs have worse dps, but their counter, Swordmasters, supposedly can do some decent dps when using a great weapon. You can drop the shield, if you want.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As a note to EU players on Karak Eight-Peaks, we just finally got a keep in t2 again so anyone that wants a renown gear/trainer should get there now because order likes to ninja stuff back at night.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Maytag wrote: »
    As a note to EU players on Karak Eight-Peaks, we just finally got a keep in t2 again so anyone that wants a renown gear/trainer should get there now because order likes to ninja stuff back at night.

I was at the trainer in IC yesterday. Isn't there a vendor there too?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The tanks deal more damage than people who are supposed to heal and spec for it, I know that much. As a zealot, I cannot take anyone 1v1, and I don't expect to be able to. You can use your gear to add a bit of damage to your build, possibly, but the thing I've noticed is that the game is not a 1v1 game. You may find someone and be able to corner them through superior tactics, and if you can do that, good for you! The one tactical element you forgot to bring was damage.

As a blorc you've got auto heals, a CRAPTON of wounds, toughness, maybe some initiative in there, and basic damaging ability, so most of the cards are in your favor. Going off the assumption that one dude can't carry all of the cards, damage is the one thing you seriously lack, with good to excellent marks in most of the other categories.

So, don't go it alone. If you're going to corner someone, make friends with a Witch Elf. Do your deed, corner them 1v1, and then right as you get into the fight, the Witch Elf pops in and you tear them to shreds. Add a healer to the mix and why limit yourself to 1 enemy at a time? Try 4 or 5.

Basically, as a tank, no you're not supposed to go out killing people, that's the DPS's job, at least the way I see things. The DPS'ers need you to survive, as you can see when you take your shield off, and in return, they give you precious, life-taking damage. It's like the circle of killing.

[EDIT] Note, this is my take on the game, as a t3 zealot. Obviously r40 may turn us on our heads, but this is how I see it.

Rend on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Only if you have a guild, or if you're at a high enough renown rank to use the one in the middle of town.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black Orc is definitely not a dps class. I'm level 19 and in PVP I basically attack as many people as possible and wade into their lines just to disrupt. Make sure guard is on a player who needs it, use champions challenge to cc, big slash to cc, etc. Most of the time I can "attract" at least 3 players to attack me, which is 3 players that aren't attack DPS/Healers.

The sad part is that if they had included choppa, people wouldn't want to DPS with their black orc. Big mistake on their part to only include one orc class =/

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Only if you have a guild, or if you're at a high enough renown rank to use the one in the middle of town.

I do in fact own a guild. Where do I find the vendor?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.