As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 64 Obscure Games Thread: Quality Optional

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually really enjoyed Quest 64 myself. It was a fun little RPG, but you could really fuck yourself later in the game if you didn't get your magic strong enough. Initially I was going to be well rounded, but then I ran into a boss in which I only did 1 damage to him with all my spells.

So my next run I maxed run and got heal. And I demolished him.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Majora's Mask is so damn awesome. I'm not sure why so much awesome was even allowed in one cart. It so clearly had stolen from every other game on the system. There is no other explanation.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll be honest Aidyn Chronicles hasn't aged well, it's controls are extremely clunky and the graphics look muddy. I highly doubt it would go to VC. However it still had a huge landscape for all kinds of exploring.

Coreo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Tig wrote: »

fucking yes. Such a charming little game. fantastic theme tune as well.

also: Buck Bumble

bb1gj9.jpg

A 3D flying shooter made by Argonaut, who did the original Starfox.

You played as a cyborg bee, fighting a variety of evil cyborg bugs in somebody's garden. The awesomely hilarious reggae theme tune made up for any deficiencies in gameplay or graphics.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/107712/Buck%20Bumble%20Theme.mp3

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also: Every Turok game on the 64 was amazing. Especially #2, and I did love Rage Wars, but there was a bug that didn't let you get through the game co-op.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Say what you will about my constitution or apparent gender, I still maintain that Turok 2 did not have enough save points.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Turok games were infinitely more fun when you turned a few cheats on. Why bother searching for keys when you can just straight up nuke a raptor in the face?

Burnage on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm...

Cruisin-USA_qjgenth.jpg

g0047827b92.jpg

Both terrible games I really liked.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon was the best adventure game I played on the N64. DASH DASH DASH!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    podracingcoverha2.jpg

Loved this game.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Since every other fighting game that came out for the 64 has been mentioned I'll go ahead and throw in the one me and my brother would play all the time.

Dark Rift
    darkrift.jpg

I don't know why but at the time we thought it was the best fighting game ever created. I went back and played it recently and it is pretty much terrible on every level.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was all about the Flying Dragon as a kid. It's too bad the clues for beating the metal folks were sometimes soo obscure you would never be able to figure them out.

Another one me and my friends spent way too much time on was WCW vs. NWO: World Tour, that was my first wrestling game and it was just insane.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    San_Francisco_Rush_Extreme_Racing_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

I was the only person I knew who owned this game. 2-player, moon gravity, no auto-reset, no place on track, no time limit. Track 6, Pappy Land. I bet I could still enter the cheats by muscle memory alone.

My friends and I would spend hours driving off the small tabletop, trying to get the most outrageous stunt. Flipping around and trying to grip the walls for a sideways landing.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2049 was way superior and WHY IS IT NOT ON VC YET???

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know it wasn't a 64 exclusive or really that obscure except that nobody bought it but I really liked Glover.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2008

NO IT WASN'T I WILL FIGHT YOU.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Every time someone mentions "2049" I think of Miner 2049er.

Really old game.

edit: Removed the URL. I didn't realize ROMs were on the site. Pretty sure they are legal but I'm not getting infracted for this shit. Thought it was an info page, strictly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    podracingcoverha2.jpg

Loved this game.

For some reason it blows my mind that Episode 1 came out long enough ago to have N64 games. Fuck, the Naboo Starfighter was an unlockable in Rogue Squadron.

Speaking of which...

ROGUE SQUADRON HOW I LOVE THEE! WHY AREN'T YOU ON VC YET???

a98qs3.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    WCWvsNWO-WorldTour.gif

I... I played this. :(

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

2049 sucked compared to the original.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What makes the N64 nostalgic for me it that it was the first console I had along with the internet. I could read reviews, previews, share tips with people playing games, read lists of cheats, it was amazing. The best was the Gameshark, when they released the versions with the integrated cheat editors. Holy shit that was amazing. Now it was a free-for-all with the rest of the internet to uncover the last shred of content in all of your favorite games. We were editing the contents of our N64s' RAM, live, over the internet. It blew my mind.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah except for stunt mode which was better than any game ever, including itself.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I... I think I've played every game listed so far in this thread.

Man, I miss those days of the N64. :(

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    WCWvsNWO-WorldTour.gif

I... I played this. :(

I sunk a lot of time into this one

wwfattitudebw0.jpg

The create-a-wrestler was fucking amazing for it's time. As was all the voice work and music (on N64 anyways).

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The 64 wrestling games were great.

Anyone play Hybrid Heaven? That game was awesome.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    San_Francisco_Rush_Extreme_Racing_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

I was the only person I knew who owned this game. 2-player, moon gravity, no auto-reset, no place on track, no time limit. Track 6, Pappy Land. I bet I could still enter the cheats by muscle memory alone.

My friends and I would spend hours driving off the small tabletop, trying to get the most outrageous stunt. Flipping around and trying to grip the walls for a sideways landing.

Yesss. Last time I played this, I had forgotten what the button inputs for the cheats actually were, but I could still enter them with ease.

The combination of Rush and Majora's Mask are the story of my N64's life.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The 64 wrestling games were great.

Anyone play Hybrid Heaven? That game was awesome.

Yes it was. Wrestling move RPG's are woefully under appreciated.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah except for stunt mode which was better than any game ever, including itself.

YES. The most ridiculous stunt mode in any game ever, but it was so freaking fun. Battle mode wasn't too shabby either. We never really did the racing portion of the game that much.

Episode 1 Racer was awesome, awesomer still if you played the arcade version where you got to sit in one and use the big throttle levers.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Castlevania 64. There, I said it. I loved this game. Fucking hard, but awesome.

castlevania64jx2jq4.jpg

I never played the sequel though... which was I guess the same game but with different characters and a few different levels? Probably why I never played it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Castlevania 64. There, I said it. I loved this game. Fucking hard, but awesome.

castlevania64jx2jq4.jpg

I never played the sequel though... which was I guess the same game but with different characters and a few different levels? Probably why I never played it.
    Also love this game. Own the sequel too. Cornell's campaign is actually pretty good.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

YES. The most ridiculous stunt mode in any game ever, but it was so freaking fun. Battle mode wasn't too shabby either. We never really did the racing portion of the game that much.

All kinds of yes.

Kronus on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ewjaa1.jpg

yeah, most people hated it, but I really don't see why. sure It lacked some of the quality that went into the 2d level designs, but it still had the same quirky humor and similar gameplay.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man. Fuck the N64 haters. The N64 was a damn fine machine, I don't understand how people couldn't like it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They were too busy watching FMV sequences, swapping discs and listening to gameplay-independent CD-quality music to notice we were all having more fun.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They were too busy watching FMV sequences, swapping discs and listening to gameplay-independent CD-quality music to notice we were all having more fun.

To this day, I would love to see what kind of visual fidelity you could squeeze out of the N64 if cartridge space restriction wasn't a factor.

Edd on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just have great memories of waking up Saturday mornings to play a N64 game I had just rented from Blockbuster the previous night. Then I'd go to my friends house and we'd do multiplayer and Jesus, I wish I was a kid again.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, this thread has me remembering why I loved the N64 so much.

I've played or heard of most of the games in this thread, and my favourite by far has been Mischief Makers. I was always a huge nerd for video game music, and something about the theme just did it for me. Everything else was awesome too, but the music was just great.

Maybe it's not as obscure as I thought, but no mention of Ogre Battle 64? That was an amazing game.

6b_8.JPG

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, this thread has me remembering why I loved the N64 so much.

I've played or heard of most of the games in this thread, and my favourite by far has been Mischief Makers. I was always a huge nerd for video game music, and something about the theme just did it for me. Everything else was awesome too, but the music was just great.

Maybe it's not as obscure as I thought, but no mention of Ogre Battle 64? That was an amazing game.

6b_8.JPG

Yes it was excellent.

Yet another game that needs to be on the VC.

And yet again whoever is in charge at various companies for choosing what, if anything, goes on VC, are a bunch of idiots. There are so many games people would buy like hotcakes, yet they keep releasing shit like Turrican 2 that no one ever cared about, nor do they care about now; and games that everyone wants and would buy are no where to be seen.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And yet again whoever is in charge at various companies for choosing what, if anything, goes on VC, are a bunch of idiots. There are so many games people would buy like hotcakes, yet they keep releasing shit like Turrican 2 that no one ever cared about, nor do they care about now; and games that everyone wants and would buy are no where to be seen.
    It makes me so sad that there are ony like ten N64 games currently available on the VC. With so much awesome games still to go, why isn't Nintendo releasing any more of them?

Arceus on