As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haha, Flames beat Oilers 4 - 0. That's right, the Flames are going to do all their winning in the pre-season!

Nova_C on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Trus wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh wow. The Flames beat Phoenix 8-2? Man.

Well, I still have to prepare myself for the fact that the Flames always have a dismal start to the regular season.

It won't be as bad as it has been for the last 2-3 years. Kipper actually came to camp in shape after actually doing some off season stuff in the gym. So instead of going 5-10 in October, we'll go 6-9 :P

In other news the Canucks named Luongo captain:lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Yea, how fucked up is that franchise that they have to name their goalie as the captain, when he can't actually do any captain related things during the game =/

It's gonna be pretty sad there next year without Luongo or the Sedins.

Vancouver has tonnes of cap room. They're probably sign all three.

The question is, do they want to sign there. I will wager that Luongo will leave if the Canucks don't make it deep into the playoffs in atleast one of the remaining season.

They should me more concerned with just getting into the playoffs, nevermind deep.

Luongo will be back east as soon as his deal is up at the end of the 2009/2010 season for sure. I'm sure he'll have a contract signed at like, 12:01am on July 1. His family is still down east, he didn't really want to move out west to begin with.

I think the Sedins will both sign 4 year deals with the Canucks, hope they look like they'll improve, and if not, will bolt after that deal is up.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • roywhitbyroywhitby Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So once again with 10 days before the season I have my irrational hope that the Panthers will make the playoffs. We are set in goal with Vokoun and Anderson and we have around 17 D including some actual GOOD defencemen in Boumeester, Ballard, McCabe and Allen. Now all they need is Horton, Weiss, Booth, Olesz, Matthias, Frolik, Stewart, Kreps to take a step forward in their development. And for Zednik to come back healthy from almost dying on the ice.

Yeah. So there might be a couple of questions up front. But Washington has Theodore in net, Tampa is going to try and play 5 forwards on the ice at all times, Atlanta doesn't look good and Carolina doesn't look any better than last year so there is a window of opportunity here in the Southeast.

If not they trade Bouwmeester for more young pieces and in 3 years we will be a beast of a team. I'm just happy they have a sole AHL team this year.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    yea, hate to break it to you, but florida won't make the playoffs. sure they'll only allow 1 goal most games with a decent defence, but that won't help if you can't score any.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh wow. The Flames beat Phoenix 8-2? Man.

Well, I still have to prepare myself for the fact that the Flames always have a dismal start to the regular season.

It won't be as bad as it has been for the last 2-3 years. Kipper actually came to camp in shape after actually doing some off season stuff in the gym. So instead of going 5-10 in October, we'll go 6-9 :P

In other news the Canucks named Luongo captain:lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Yea, how fucked up is that franchise that they have to name their goalie as the captain, when he can't actually do any captain related things during the game =/

It's gonna be pretty sad there next year without Luongo or the Sedins.

Vancouver has tonnes of cap room. They're probably sign all three.

The question is, do they want to sign there. I will wager that Luongo will leave if the Canucks don't make it deep into the playoffs in atleast one of the remaining season.

They should me more concerned with just getting into the playoffs, nevermind deep.

Luongo will be back east as soon as his deal is up at the end of the 2009/2010 season for sure. I'm sure he'll have a contract signed at like, 12:01am on July 1. His family is still down east, he didn't really want to move out west to begin with.

I think the Sedins will both sign 4 year deals with the Canucks, hope they look like they'll improve, and if not, will bolt after that deal is up.

Luongo's wife was back in Florida (where she is from) last year only because she was going through a complicated pregnancy and wanted to be close to her family. His family is here in Vancouver now. If he didn't really want to come to Vancouver, he wouldn't have signed a four year contract here after the trade.

Sure, there's a chance that he'll move back to the Eastern conference, but its hardly automatic. How the team does this season is probably much more of a factor than location. And the season pretty much rides on his shoulders with the team talking about playing a more up tempo system.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2008
    yea, hate to break it to you, but florida won't make the playoffs. sure they'll only allow 1 goal most games with a decent defence, but that won't help if you can't score any.

Well it's why they play the games. I think not having Jacques behind the bench instantly makes them a better team since their forwards will actually cross the red line to go in the offensive zone, not to make line changes in the 2nd period.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    I really don't see the Panthers making the playoffs. At most, probably two teams from the Southeast could make it, and Washington, Tampa and Carolina are superior teams to the other two. Yes, Washington has Theodore in net, but he turned his career around last year, if he keeps it up they won't have a noticeable drop off in goal tending quality from Huet.

Corvus on
    edited October 2008
    Remember guys I said my hope in the Panthers is completely irrational. They only missed the playoffs by 3 or 4 wins last year and I think with a new approach and better seasons from their forwards plus their already good goaltending and what is potentially a top 5 D in the league could make up those wins. There is always one team that makes the playoffs that no one expects. Why not the Panthers this year?

No one expected Montreal to make the playoffs last year, or Carolina to make the playoffs the year they won the Cup. I'm not saying the Panthers are going to finish 1st in the East or win a Cup but they should be gunning for the Southeast division this year. And if they crash and burn, they crash and burn. I just want them to have some real expectations this year for once.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pens 1-0. That is all.

Burtletoy on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    roywhitby wrote: »
    including some actual GOOD defencemen in McCabe

Yeah, we thought that at first too. Give it time.

elevature on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NYR 2-0 in the Czech Republic.

All Hail Drury.

Reckless on
    edited October 2008
    Reckless wrote: »

All Hail Drury.

Did he remember how to play this season?

Burtletoy on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Reckless wrote: »

All Hail Drury.

Did he remember how to play this season?

That depends. Is Sydney old enough to grow a beard this season?

Reckless on
    edited October 2008
    Meh.

Malkin > Crosby anyways.

Burtletoy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm still pissed we need a new Hockey Night in Canada theme song and are spending all this time getting a new one all because the CBC were assholes and didn't want to renew the contract on the old one, so TSN grabbed it up.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm still pissed we need a new Hockey Night in Canada theme song and are spending all this time getting a new one all because the CBC were assholes and didn't want to renew the contract on the old one, so TSN grabbed it up.

Yea, I'm not a huge supporter of the CBC, I think they should be spun off and no longer be a crown corporation, but this is one instance where I think they should have gotten the rights to that song at all costs.

wunderbar on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Selani wrote: »
    It's hard being an Australian in love with Ice Hockey & the NHL :(

(go Ducks! Selanne signed for 2 years = win.)

Probably about as bad as being a kiwi in the same position. Do you guys get any games broadcast there at all?

L|ama on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Flyers lost to their AHL team today.

lol

Glaeal on
    edited October 2008
    Season starts soon! Go Panthers! I have to order the sports package from the local cable company. Friday in Atlanta and then Carolina on Saturday. Hopefully the Panthers can get a nice 2-0 start.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »

lol

I was just gonna ask about that when I saw it on ESPN. I mean did that really happen? I hope they were playing the 4th line when they lost in the 3rd period.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2008

lol

Yea I saw that. they should fire their NHL team and just bring up the phantoms.

So the oilers unveiled their "new" 3rd jersey yesterday, and they're rocking like it's 1989. The Blue and Orange is back. I'm debating whether that's a good thing or not. Sure it's a classic, but I wanted them to bring back the old 3rd jersey.

wunderbar on
    edited October 2008
    Really? I always thought that Oilers lugnut jersey was pretty bad looking. But then a lot of third jerseys look like crap.

Corvus on
    edited October 2008
    Really? I always thought that Oilers lugnut jersey was pretty bad looking. But then a lot of third jerseys look like crap.

I didn't like it when they first brought it out, but it really grew on me over the years, I actually own one of those jerseys. And the lugnut actually had meaning for the team.

wunderbar on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Go Habs go, go Habs go!

We want the cup, it's time you come home baby!

I'm happy the first game is against Buffalo, I have a sweet spot for that team. They are fast and they are skilled, the type of hockey they play is very pleasant to watch. If only their management had been smarter with Brière and Campbell, their team would be significantly better.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yay! I can wear my jersey tomorrow....and be sad that Juice left during the off season :|

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited October 2008
    Jean wrote: »
    Go Habs go, go Habs go!

We want the cup, it's time you come home baby!

I'm happy the first game is against Buffalo, I have a sweet spot for that team. They are fast and they are skilled, the type of hockey they play is very pleasant to watch. If only their management had been smarter with Brière and Campbell, their team would be significantly better.

All you guys better be right about the Habs, I took Carey Price pretty early in my fantasy draft. If he doesn't put out...

Burtletoy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

lol

You sure this wasn't the Leafs? I could see the Leafs doing this.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    man, the oilers should just wear that 3rd jersey all the time.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

lol

You sure this wasn't the Leafs? I could see the Leafs doing this.

In the Flyers' defense, they played it like a scrim, to give the Phantoms a chance to showcase some of their talent. There wasn't even any checking in the game.

But the Leafs would definitely lose to the Marlies, even if they tried their best.

elevature on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh God damn it.

Keep your fucking politics out of my hockey.
    nhl.com wrote:
    Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, the nation’s most popular hockey mom, will join the winner of the Philadelphia Flyers regional search for the “Ultimate Hockey Mom” contest and drop the puck at the ceremonial opening face-off as the home team Flyers host the New York Rangers at the Wachovia Center on Saturday, October 11 at 7 p.m.

Glaeal on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I saw that shit. Just more reasons to hate the Flyers.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I read about that. Flyers owner is a McCain campaign donor, so I guess that explains it.

Corvus on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh God damn it.

Keep your fucking politics out of my hockey.
    nhl.com wrote:
    Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, the nation’s most popular hockey mom, will join the winner of the Philadelphia Flyers regional search for the “Ultimate Hockey Mom” contest and drop the puck at the ceremonial opening face-off as the home team Flyers host the New York Rangers at the Wachovia Center on Saturday, October 11 at 7 p.m.

Brilliant job NHL, way to alienate atleast half of your US fans. Heres hoping she gets boo'd

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited October 2008
    Whoo, first HNIC of the season!

Corvus on
    edited October 2008
    Whoo, first HNIC of the season!

Oh, who's it between? I've been considering just boycotting CBC this year for hockey after the bullshit that's been the theme song stuff.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited October 2008
    Leafs/Wings (Poor, poor leafs) followed by Flames/Canucks.

Corvus on
    edited October 2008
    Leafs/Wings (Poor, poor leafs) followed by Flames/Canucks.

GO LEAFS GO!

I declare victory if we almost score one goal.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the maple leafs are up 2 - 0 in the 2nd period.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hahah!

die wings!

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited October 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    So the maple leafs are up 2 - 0 in the 2nd period.

I'm not worried. This is our plan: We go up early to make everyone think "Wow!" and then we slowly let the other team score goals and we end up losing by the end of the third period, like Nature decrees.

Edit: Goddamnit Leafs, 5 seconds after I post this Leafs get a breakaway and score. 3 - 1.

Aegis on
    Characters
This discussion has been closed.