As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC - 4E DnD] Sorrow of the Heavens

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
This is the OOC and general thread for my campaign Sorrow of the Heavens. We'll begin with the player list, thanks for everyone who applied in the previous thread.

We will be playing on a Sunday from 9-1pm on a Sunday New Zealand time. In New York time this is 2 to 6pm on a Saturday afternoon. You need to inform me ahead of time if you can't make a session, because it's just being polite! We will be using ventrillo and maptools for this campaign.

TSI|Awesome - Human Sorcerer (Striker)
Terrendos - Human Cleric (Leader)
REG Rysk - Eladrin Wizard (Controller and pew pew pew machine)
illgottengains - Half-Orc Barbarian (Striker)
Goumindong - Dwarf Fighter (Defender)

Here is the In Character Thread.

Those who have fallen or been lost to the sands of time

Kilroy - Human Cleric (Leader) Killed by Amaranth.
Arasaki - Revenant Ranger (Striker) Struck down opposing the party as they fought an avatar of Orcus.
Prof Moriaty - Warforged Rogue (Striker) Met Mortis the Wrathful and discovered he was more than wrathful enough.

YesNoMu - Dragonborn Barbarian (Striker and kinda Defender) Living happily with family in Valkur's Roar
illgottengains - Halfling Cleric (Leader) Escaped Shadowfell, whereabouts currently unknown
Arasaki - Deva Avenger (Striker) Currently in the Catacombs of the Dead.
Arasaki - Githyanki Swordmage (Defender) Presumed missing on the Shadowfell
Terrendos - Half-Elf Warlock (Striker) Escaped Shadowfell, whereabouts currently unknown
Morninglord - Half-Elf Paladin (Defender) Escaped Shadowfell, whereabouts currently unknown

The Glorious Dead list. Characters whom, in any campaign I've run have been permanently killed in gameplay.
Abigail - Half-Elf Avenger (Striker) - Couldn't handle the ocher jellies jelly or the ongoing acid damage. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Calfrune - Razorclaw Shifter Druid (Controller) - Clubbed to death, literally. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Drexel - Half-Elf Paladin (Defender) - What happened in the forest stays in the forest. Dark Rain.
DVG - Changeling Bard (Leader) - Eaten alive by Black Dogs and something worse. Artist of Sharn.
Frost - Shifter Runepriest (Leader) - Garroted by a shadow and his soul consumed. May he rest in pieces. Marauders of the Astral Sea.
Fuzzbutt - Minotaur Barbarian (Striker) - Clawed down by a dretch and then ingloriously fried by lightning. Marauders of the Astral Sea.
Mongoose - Half-Orc Monk (Striker) - On the ground bleeding to death when the constructs sword finished the job by removing his head. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Woshor the Unknown - Genasi Swordmage (Defender) - Figured he could solo a solo, he couldn't and was stuffed into a trap to stop the gas. Tides of Dust.

The game will begin later this month and this is the OOC thread, feel free to ask me questions and whatever else. Sort out your party as well and who wants to play what. As I said in the previous thread I wouldn't mind having a party with 2 defenders and 1 leader, or 2 leaders and a defender at about minimum. So long as you have that sort of "base", I don't mind what character classes you guys want to play. In the end, game balance is my job, so don't feel hamstrung. If you want to play something and you don't think it fits, do it anyway and we'll see how it goes. I don't want anyone feeling like they didn't get to play what they wanted!

We are currently using: Maptools beta 63.

Anyway, here is some story detail. It's spoilered so that if you don't feel your character would know this then you don't have to. It's lore about an ancient legend that might be relevant to the campaign. It could be utterly irrelevant. It might be entirely wrong in places, true in other places and sometimes tells a half-truth (or a half-lie). Either way, it should give you a general idea to theme of the campaign.
The bard, thoroughly drunk leaps upon the wooden table in the center of the bar and claps his hands together loudly, drawing the attention of the patrons of the Gilded Inn.

"Friends, friends we have had a good night and what is a night of celebration without a story?" the bard ducked back quickly to avoid a flagon of half filled ale hastily chucked in his direction by a drunken dwarf.

Unfazed, the bard continued into his tale...

"There is a legend, told to me by a strangely unworldly man that I met on my travels one day who claimed he had been told it from his father, that was told to him by his father and by his father, stretching back many generations of their family. He told me he had often wondered about many of the features that run through the bloodline of his family, the silver tint to their eyes and the alluring beauty of his features.

He asked me 'My good gentleman, do you believe that the Gods are there for you?' and of course, being the polite soul I am I answered in kind 'Why yes, Tymora has never seen me wrong and keeps a watchful eye over me and my lute. Why is it that you ask?'

With this, his eyes grew somewhat dark and it was as if a cold chill had descended upon me.

'Mortal, what you follow so blindly will only lead you to your destruction. They care not for you or anyone but themselves and their own power' he said without even diverting his gaze from me once, like cold iron it was to look at his eyes at this point.

Now, I'm no blasphemer and was taken aback by such a horrible thing to say! I naturally scolded him 'You must be brave or mad to say such things! The Gods have protected the faithful for years -' it was then that he cut me off and interjected 'Gods care little for their playthings, allow me to tell the story passed down through my family for generations..'

Miffed at his rude interruption, I allowed him to continue wondering what madness would make someone so openly admit to their defiance of the Gods and what he told me... well it's remarkable to say the least.

He told me there was a War in Heaven.

He told me that his ancestors were created to be servants, pure, unyielding and loyal above all. Servants of a greater god, they were its direct messengers, companions and tools of its divine will. There were rules to these creatures, they were never allowed to think or feel for themselves, they could not love, they could not choose for themselves. Should they develop signs of independence, they were to be destroyed and remade as if new so they could not be corrupted.

For centuries the god used his servants, which he identified as something like angels though the word he used I cannot remember, to keep watch over his followers and to serve him in peace. But this was not to last, for in the farthest reaches of the planes one such servant had been dispatched and had spent altogether too long with those he was meant to watch over. It's name, Mercuriel or "That of running silver" as the tribes who knew of the creature called it had developed feelings, thoughts perhaps of love or ideals for a mortal woman.

The strange mans bloodline began, he explained, when Mercuriel and this mortal woman coupled together and she was to conceive a son to him. Realising what he had done and that the god he served would not stand for this, for surely the god with his divine power it would be inevitable he would find out, Mercuriel made plans to betray and destroy his creator to protect his love: and his child.

And so Mercuriel gathered to him an army of like minded dissentors, daemons, beasts and mortals and assailed the gates of heaven itself....
0901K4-P63_jpg.jpg
to be defeated. Mercuriel was cast down at the feet of his former master and shackled. With this, his mortal love was brought forth and the god made Mercuriel but one last demand: admit that he had loved her and be destroyed, or stay silent and be imprisoned.

The god made the demand of Mercuriel but three times.

Each time, the angel remained silent.

And after the final time, Mercuriel was cast down into an infinite Abyss and left to rot for all eternity. With this, the brief but extremely bloody war in heaven had ended as quickly as it began. As to the mortal woman and her child, the man would only say that she was stripped of her soul for her part in the war and to take her due punishment -
Fallen_Angel__Tell_me_why_by_nell_f.jpg

- but that the child was to survive. He claimed the child was left to roam the planes and that his bloodline is the direct descendant of Mercuriel himself.

And with this, the man stood and he said one final thing before he just faded before my eyes, 'Even gods can face judgment for their crimes.'"

The bard stood upon the table proudly at his final revelation, only to have his moment disrupted by the flagon throwing dwarf from earlier "Eh, what's thiz bolloocks then? Is that hew it ends? C'mn, how des it end? It can't stop there!" the Dwarf bellowed. The bar rapidly turning back into a drunken shambles, the bard wisely ducked away before the first flagons could be thrown his way. He sighed to himself as he weaved his way to a quieter part of the establishment, if only he could remember the whole dream and not have to fill in all the gaps so much. He'd have such a better story....

Mechanical stuff for the campaign.

Books allowed are (for PCs):
Players Hand Book
Forgotten Realms Players Guide
Adventurers Vault
Martial Power (Highly approve)

Dungeon/Dragon stuff (permission required):
Barbarian article
Warlock Article
Swordmage Article
Gladiator Articles (but ask me first)
Faerun Epic Destinies article (Elven High Mages ritual ability doesn't apply to item creation rituals, no matter how clever your hamster).
Adventurers of the Realms.

Not allowed stuff (definitely):
Warforged. I just dislike them in Forgotten Realms and I just can't see how they fit at all. This race is not permitted.
Ritualists Ring. Stacking with Elven High Mage gets rid of this.

Anything else I can think of eventually.

Starting gold is 100. You can buys anything you want. Once I'm done sorting out my stuff, you'll have the option of an "easy opening" or "in the deep end". The easy opening starts in a small town north of waterdeep and takes you from levels 1-2, designed to sort of being a way of easing into the game. The other just starts directly in in Waterdeep.

Also, tell me your general DnD experience and such (if you're new, played a lot of DnD and that sort of thing).

Here is a map of Faerun.

Important Edit:

Weapon Finesse counts as a feat bonus (as does implement expertise).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yay!

I plan to play a Paladin in the service of Aumunator, at this point.

Reg you are free to be a Wizard.

Expect arrogant and irritating advice.
    <3 Not really.
    Yes really.
    Ok totally serious. Maybe once or twice.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was looking forward to you guys fighting over who would be the wizard :( I had a pit of death and everything.

Aegeri on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That was before I read the FRCG.

It grew on me until there no longer was a choice.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2008

The artwork is so appropriate I feel. It's how I will picture you from now on <3

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

The artwork is so appropriate I feel. It's how I will picture you from now on <3

You wouldn't be too far wrong if you placed that picture into TFU and had some flailing stormtroopers in the background and the club was a lightsaber.

In fact you would be uncannily accurate.

I am planning to make my character have had some experience with wizards. Maybe a brother.

This way I can make IC know it all remarks. It'll be glorious.

"Was it really necessary to use fireball just then? My brother never used to..."

Morninglord on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wizard, obviously. I like to blow stuff up, but never involve allies in area attacks. That's the short of it.

REG Rysk on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    At the moment, I'm looking at playing a tactical Warlord, but that may change when I get the Forgotten Realms guide.

Kilroy on
    edited October 2008
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Wizard, obviously. I like to blow stuff up, but never involve allies in area attacks. That's the short of it.

Huh.

My brother used to involve me in area attacks.

Made me what I am.

Morninglord on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread is OOC, JERK!

REG Rysk on
    edited October 2008
    I know. I'm messing with you.

I'm debating how I could pull off an annoying quirk like that charismatically. If I can't it'll have to stay an affectionate ooc rib...

...Nancy magic boy.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    So mean...

Oh, and my experience is from a while back, like 2nd Ed or maybe 3rd.

Also, how did you want to get our character data? The site that I got the maptool from has a 4e sheet, but it's lacking feats, powers, and items.

REG Rysk on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I'm still undecided between Cleric and Warlock. Leaning towards Warlock but if someone has their heart set on one let it be known.

EDIT: I'm assuming the Point Buy system?

Terrendos on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mmm, that Barbarian looks tasty. I might just do that! Fighter or taclord if it's not cool with you, Aegeri.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Darn it. I picked up the FRPG and now I've got cool ideas for a lightning-obsessed stormsoul genasi Cleric.

There's too many characters I want to make, darn it! This is just going to come down to me waiting until everyone else picks.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2008
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Mmm, that Barbarian looks tasty. I might just do that! Fighter or taclord if it's not cool with you, Aegeri.

I have no issue with you wanting to play a Barbarian. I'm very interested in seeing how the class works out.
    Terrendos wrote:
    EDIT: I'm assuming the Point Buy system?

Yes, I like it actually.

As for character sheets and such, there is a site called Myth-weavers or something that allows for online character sheets. That's the best way of doing it. I can't quite remember what the name is, but it should be linked in the OP of the main DnD thread if not elsewhere.

A Cleric/Warlord would be very good at the moment.

This makes the party:

Barbarian
    Paladin
    Cleric/Warlord
    Warlord (unless Kilroy changes his mind)
    Wizard
    Preferably another striker (but the above is fine by itself as well IMO).

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Go ahead and put me down as a Cleric. Dunno if I'll be using the Genasi one, but I'm definitely going with a Battle build, probably into the Battlepriest Paragon class so I can backup tank later.

EDIT: D&D experience

- played a tiny bit of 3.0 (a single one-shot adventure)
    - played some 3.5 with a Cleric, basically from level 1 to 5
    - played a bunch of Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
    - DM'd a one shot in 4e (mostly to convince my friends how great it is,) played several encounters in another game before it fell apart

So yeah, I'm pretty much still a novice. Most of my experience is with Clerics and Warlocks, which are the main two classes I really like.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2008

I have no issue with you wanting to play a Barbarian. I'm very interested in seeing how the class works out.
    Rawk. Minotaur cool with you? How about Warforged with the Dragon stuff?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008

Rawk. Minotaur cool with you? How about Warforged with the Dragon stuff?

Minotaur just doesn't fit at all because I can't see it working terribly well with the various peasantry and cities you'll be visiting. I'm not entirely sure on warforged, you should give me a link to the relevant dragon article.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Aw. Even if I was a peaceful type? I wouldn't be starting trouble, I'm actually Good.

Here's the warforged article.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Aw. Even if I was a peaceful type? I wouldn't be starting trouble, I'm actually Good.

Well it's more "How does this fit with the other players" and how often would it cause trouble in more civilised regions (because it certainly would draw more than a bit of interest from your average Joe peasant).

Reading through this, they do seem fine but I'd need to ponder as to how to implement them into the realms. Most likely originated from Lantans Rest, which is an Island that formerly had a large group of gnomes that invented all kinds of advanced constructs and such. They got wiped out by tidal waves after the spellplague though, but that is one potential origin. I'm open to any other ideas you have as to an origin or similar.

Reading through the article I'm probably happy to allow it.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008

Well it's more "How does this fit with the other players" and how often would it cause trouble in more civilised regions (because it certainly would draw more than a bit of interest from your average Joe peasant).
    OK. I don't know anything about the FR, so I don't really know which races are seen as ok or not by the average person. Apparently drow are OK now? It's all pretty confusing to me.

Out of curiosity, does the book mention lycanthropes at all? I thought I'd heard about them from reviews, and they'd make a pretty good reskinned minotaur (as well as shifter, but those don't have the stat increases!). They seem even more likely to draw attention than a minotaur, but you never know with these crazy fantasy worlds.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008

OK. I don't know anything about the FR, so I don't really know which races are seen as ok or not by the average person. Apparently drow are OK now? It's all pretty confusing to me.

Drow are regarded with suspicion and outright hostility in many regions, but due to the Spellplague tearing a ton of the underdark up there are more Drow around on the surface than there used to be. So they are sort of accepted these days, though individuals will still encounter quite a lot
    Out of curiosity, does the book mention lycanthropes at all? I thought I'd heard about them from reviews, and they'd make a pretty good reskinned minotaur (as well as shifter, but those don't have the stat increases!).

Shifters are actually a race in PHB2, as well as Daevas and a few other weird things. Shifters are mentioned in the FRPG as well as Goliaths. I don't know what these guys do**, but I am betting the Goliath is the "large" players race, which is going to be interesting in itself.

Basically, any race in the PHB or FRPG* is fine by me. Anything after that I need to have a think about, because generally I disapprove of having "monster" races in a party. It requires special justification unless everyone is a monster of some sort.

*Genasi and Drow in this case.

**Well ok, I do know that at some point they can shift into a fire Salamander for some reason. I don't know why but they can.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    OK. I'll just be a dragonborn, then. Warforged don't fit with the backstory I've come up with.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    OK. I'll just be a dragonborn, then. Warforged don't fit with the backstory I've come up with.

Dragonborn come from these places that were transposed into Toril called Abeir. As far as I know most people on Toril identify them as largely honorable fellows who really, really hate Dragons (Abeir is apparently ruled and controlled by Dragons, with Dragonborn largely being enslaved to them).

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Cool. Is Bahamut a FR god, and do DB like him or not?

EDIT: Awesome, my surge is a third of my max HP. Nice.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Cool. Is Bahamut a FR god, and do DB like him or not?

Bahamut is a FR god and I don't believe they would have a problem with him, if they even acknowledged the Gods. Abeir actually was sort of a "Dead zone" Gods wise and so they didn't actually really know about it or had any influence there. Dragonborn from Abeir are only coming into contact with Gods now. There would probably be no conflict with being a follower of Bahamut, because he has ideals that Dragonborn would appreciate and find interesting.

Being an "atheist" in FR is definitely possible as many from Abeir really don't know much about Gods and are suspicious of the whole "God" thing anyway.

Edit: Yep, he's in there as a general God and his portfolio is "Justice", which definitely appeals to Dragonborn from Abeir.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Also to anyone playing, feel free to add me to your MSN:

aegeri@hotmail.com

If you use it. I can get another chat client if there is something that suits everyone better to. It's a bit more helpful for things than repeated posts for sorting out character details. Once you have your characters, we can talk about starting the campaign and what sort of things your character is doing in the region, how you come together, who you know starting out etc. This is pretty much a negotiation, I've already decided to move away from Waterdeep as a starting point and might move to the Sea of Fallen stars (especially as that is a big transitway for lots of different people/races).

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/

Here's the site with the sheets if anybody else needs it, I've started filling mine out.

REG Rysk on
    edited October 2008
    Here's my backstory for Armisael, Dragonborn Barbarian. Some things'll probably need to be changed, like place names if we aren't starting in Waterdeep.
    Look, I get a little angry sometimes. Like when people say my dad was a dragon who dominated and raped a human. That pisses me off. Or when they call me a fuckin' pagan. Hey, I don't worship the spirits, OK? I just respect them. And if you'd seen my mom, Lady Rose-Eyes, wielder of the most insane blood-rage to ever scorch the earth, you would too.

It was the "pagan" thing that got me fired from my last job on the docks, and made me come here. One of the guys saw the fetish I wear around my waist, and recognized it from those stupid "Threat of the Primal Spirits" sessions the Aumanator assholes are always holding. I explained real nicely that it was for protection against the spirits, not some kinda symbol of worship. Naturally, he wouldn't listen, so I tossed him into the water to help him cool down. I still don't really see the problem-- his arm will be like new in a few months.

Anyway, so now I'm unemployed, and none of the docks around here will hire me 'cause word of my temper spreads around. Not a problem, right? I can just go somewhere else. I hear they've got more work than they can handle out in Icewind Dale. Problem is, I'm not just supporting myself. My kid's real sick, and his mom spends all her time and money caring for him. And of course, while we can't afford a cleric to remove the disease, we can afford that expensive-ass medicine that keeps him from getting worse and eventually'll add up to be twice the cost. I try to get them a gold piece a day, which lets us save a bit for later.

I still blame those damn eyes of hers for everything. Those deep, sad blue eyes that make me want to hold her and tell her that nothing's ever going to hurt her. It's their fault that I was dishonored when they found me making out with the daughter of the chieftain. Their fault that I ran away with her to Waterdeep. Their fault that I had a kid, years and years before I ever thought I'd be ready. And their fault I'm a fucking adventurer now, killing kobolds and goblins and shit and taking their stuff. Instead of some kind of honest profession, I'm a quasi-racist mercenary assassin. Fan-fuckin'-tastic. And you know the worst part? I'd do it all again.

It's alright, I guess. I'm making a fairly steady income, and I definitely have a way to work out my aggression now. It's so easy: I just sorta let myself get mad, and all my problems seem to fade away. I come to surrounded by corpses, collect their stuff, and head home. I bring back some cash, and she doesn't even have to know I got fired from the docks. A few more weeks of this and I'll have enough cash to hire a cleric and tell the apothecary where he can stick his herbs. And then? And then I guess I can finally leave, go off somewhere far away from that girl and the hatchling who also looks at me with her eyes...

Yeah, I've got it bad. I know. Even now, when she's supposed to be no more than the mother of my kid, she could ask me to jump off a cliff and I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'm sleeping on their couch like we're some fucked-up human family, because I'm too devoted to leave, and too proud to go further. I'm still dragonborn, you know? I'll never be one of those soppy romantic losers, showing affection in public, carrying their kids and holding hands with their lovers. Never.

No matter how much I might want to.
    TL;DR: Dragonborn with a bad temper is trying to earn money to afford a Remove Disease for his kid.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Yes, this works fairly well and I can fit this into the campaign. I've changed the starting location to a smaller town outside of one of the major cities in Cormyr, which is located on the western edge of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Work in the docks area would have dried up, because in the time period of this campaign (which coincides with module 4 of my other IRL campaign I am running) there is another Seros war in the Sea Of Fallen Stars getting underway, so many docks and ports have been blockaded.

It would thus make sense, if you agree, why your character would be going further afield in search of work. We will invariably in this campaign be moving west to Waterdeep (probably), so that would also fit with the general character concept and background as well. I also wanted events in Waterdeep to be more dramatic, hence I wanted to move all of that particular side of the campaign further back so you have some experience adventuring and such forth first (and more of a plot justification for events as well, good set up is good).

You'll just need to tell me about this disease and such forth, how you want to resolve it and what sort of resolutions you find acceptable. Then I'll think about things from there.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Quick question. How long after the Spellplague does the story take place? I was going to have my character's parents meet during a relief effort to help the Spellscarred in the immediate wake of the event, but that timing might not be quite right.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Quick question. How long after the Spellplague does the story take place? I was going to have my character's parents meet during a relief effort to help the Spellscarred in the immediate wake of the event, but that timing might not be quite right.

It's 100 years after the Spellplague and the current in game date is 1479 DR, The Year of the Ageless One. So it's been a wee while since the Spellplaugue.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2008
    Me and morning are working on a sort of joint backstory.
    Curses again. Another false rumor, and another street rat goes fed for the night. That oaf continues to pay for useless information. He has brought us out far to the west now. I hear mutterings of a town called Waterdeep, a place I have only read about and seen on maps. As I imagine, it will be another rat infested dung heap cluttered with dwarves and halflings, singing songs about nothing and begging for food.

We have been on the road for many months now, our funds begin to dry out, and my patience wears thin. No church has given me any information as to the whereabouts of the Simbul, or any way I may be able to glean some knowledge from the Gods.

Corellon save me, there is no grace or beauty in this world left. My crafts feel withered and slow, my sword rusted, and my wits dulled by the stench of all sort of foul creature infesting this city! Not creature to be literal, but figurative. Perhaps I am even going daft in his presence so long...

He prays daily, as a good holy man should. He is never late, and always determined. If only he determined the need for coin, food, and shelter. But, perhaps he even keeps my spirit afloat in the times of drowning sorrow...

I will find the Simbul of Agronland, but now may not be the time to look. We must find work of some sort, something to sharpen my wits and my blade with. Though we get off track, I will pray that Corellon shows me the light, and will someday lead me to the Spiral Tower, and give me the strength to wipe the wretched Thayans and their Red Wizards from the face of this miserable plane.

REG Rysk on
    edited October 2008
    A bit of character backstory.
    *Excerpt from a journal left in a small cell of a Monastary of Aumunator.*

So Father Temulous told me I had to keep a diary. Said it would order my thoughts, help me to know myself so I could communicate better with the rest of the order. I don't think he likes that I don't know why I can do what I do.
    But he told me it was important, that I couldn't rely on my instincts forever, even if they've been right so far.
    Here goes I guess.

I wonder how you start a journal. I guess, I could describe who I am for starters?

My name is Benjamin. That's the one they gave me anyway. I don't know my real name, since I was apparently given into the temples care as a babe. Don't know my real mother or father.

I've been in the service of Aumunator all my life really. It was very stuffy when I was a child, so many rules! Rules about this, rules about that. I understand the reasons for rules and why they are good but, I didn't get why I had to memorise so many of them. I really wanted to go out into the sun and go down to the villages and meet people. I wasn't a very wise child, I guess, not as far as the Church of Aumunator is concerned.

I'm not a very wise adult, to tell the truth. I guess that's why I have to write this journal!

But I think, that I do understand what they are telling me. Rules are important. It's almost like I've been living my whole life by them, without really understanding why.

I've never been late to anything, even if I would get there at the last second. Never late, never early. Father Temulous still frowned at me, he valued "preparation, organisation, a clear mind!"
    But I never leave things to the last minute, like he thinks. I get it all done immediately, then continue with other stuff in my life. He believes I do it at the last second, which is why I'm always in a rush. I don't think he expected me to pass the rituals as easily as I did. To be honest, I don't think he understands me at all.
    But I can't blame him. I don't really understand myself. I don't really understand why it is important to know myself.

To me, the rules of life are not something you need to follow or you go astray. To me, they are...I don't know how to say it. They are....explanations of what I've already done.
    I wake up as the ritual of the dawn starts. I go to sleep eight hours before. It just happens, I don't have to plan. It's the natural result of my full day.
    They would explain the laws to me and I would question some of them. They called me rebellious, but some laws don't make sense. Some appear to be there to....remind people of what they are already doing.
    It was only recently that I came to realise....not everybody thinks as I do. Some people need reminding.
    Or is it that some people need to remind others?

I think sometimes both are true.

Nobody is in the temple right now. Father Temulous wouldn't tell me what they left for. Even though I am a Paladin of Aumunator now, people still don't understand me, or trust me. It's probably because I can't tell them how I know what I know or why I can make the best choices without justifying them? They debated my answer in the Ritual of Wisdom for hours before deciding I had come to the best choice for all involved.
    I already knew that, but they wanted me to understand why.
    If anything in my life could be considered a waste of time I believe. Yes. I believe that is one of them.
    But then again, perhaps they are right. If I ever make the wrong choice, how will I know?

I think someone is at the gates, I can hear the doorknocker. I shall pause here for now.

*The journal ends here. Every other page is empty.*

Ack reg I didn't read yours first.

You'll have to have swung by my monastary and pick me up to make yours work.

It's why I left specific details ambiguous.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    Everyone's posting their backstories? Fine, here's what I've got. See if you can spot the obvious reference to my NWN2 character:
    My parents called me Tantus Salutifer, when I was born. Last of a proud lineage of great clerics. Ever heard of a man named Terrendos? Saved Neverwinter from some sort of demon king, broke an ancient curse that consumed souls? Me neither.

My schoolmates called me Demon, when the white fire lit my eyes and I tossed them aside like leaves in my fury. They were provoking me into a fight. They lived to regret it.

The priests called me novice, when I entered the temple. I began the trials to become a Cleric of Tempus, and the priests told me it would take years. Three months later, I was done. The priests called me prodigy when I left the temple.

The tribe of orcs called me foe, when they first tested the steel of my hammer against their weak flesh. Now they can call only to Kelemvor.

The swordmaster called me friend, when I healed his injuries. He taught me the ways of the blade as I traveled with him. When we were overwhelmed by shades in a distant land, he gave me his blade, and he called me legacy with his dying breath.

The town guard called me comrade as I stood with them. We fought a horde of undead and saved thousands of lives. The women called me handsome as I rode through town during the parade. The shield they gave me when I left that town I carry to this day.

The Goblins called me stupid when they ambushed me. They called me weak when they shattered my foot. They called me deathbringer as my vengeance consumed every last one of them.

The Dragonborn called me brother when I gave their leader counsel during their fight against one of their dragon foes. They did not understand my beliefs, but they knew my intentions and welcomed my advice.

I have been called many things. The time has come for me to be called hero. You? Well… you can call me Sal.

Terrendos on
    edited October 2008
    Uh-oh, Morning. Armisael doesn't like the clergy of Aumanator much. They've been badmouthing the spirits that give him power.

I see conflict!

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Does he sound like the kind of close minded character who would badmouth spirits? Because I was trying to portray him as a non typical stick in the mud paladin. I read the backstory. I think he'd be fine with you, to be honest. Maybe he'd ask a few questions, but he'd definitely listen to your explanation.

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    I don't see much of a problem.
    The temple was in our town. On a cold winter day you helped my parents to carry some food back to our house, and joined us for dinner. I disapproved. Why bring another mouth to feed into the house, it did not make sense in a fiscal sort of way. It was far too expensive.

I think something like that will work. Brings you into the family, but you didn't live with us.

I still think mine was a little ambiguous at least...I think I made it work, eh?

REG Rysk on
    edited October 2008
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I don't see much of a problem.
    The temple was in our town. On a cold winter day you helped my parents to carry some food back to our house, and joined us for dinner. I disapproved. Why bring another mouth to feed into the house, it did not make sense in a fiscal sort of way. It was far too expensive.

I think something like that will work. Brings you into the family, but you didn't live with us.

I still think mine was a little ambiguous at least...I think I made it work, eh?

That works.
    I did say I liked to go out and meet people and do good. So you could have been in the town. There's no good reason to put you into the Journal at all, it was supposed to be aimed at my self reflections on why I can't explain why I have the Power of Aumunator and be as pious as I am without any self awareness.
    Whatever reasons brings us to the campaign starting point, whatever reason Aegeri gives us, you could have received the news first and decided you wanted the help of someone at the monastary, then convinced me to come when I answered the gate.
    Since you are like, ten million times smarter than my character I think we can just say you convinced my young naive self eh.

Waddya think?

Morninglord on
    edited October 2008
    Does he sound like the kind of close minded character who would badmouth spirits? Because I was trying to portray him as a non typical stick in the mud paladin. I read the backstory. I think he'd be fine with you, to be honest. Maybe he'd ask a few questions, but he'd definitely listen to your explanation.
    Oh, I'm sure you'll be reasonable. Armisael just has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png