As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can you do a hundred push ups? Joe Biden can

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    W5D1 28/35/25/22/36

I think I might re-do this since I took a week off due to laziness. Oh my lord it does hurt.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    W1D3 11/15/9/9/15 (min. 13)

I think I did a few more on the 9 portions because my wife kept taunting me telling me I didn't go all the way down so I had to do a few extra at that part. She's so mean.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Still residual soreness. Will start week 1 over again. God damn, these muscles are pretty out of shape.

Underdog on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    atat23 wrote: »
    ok so I notice that some of the weeks are now modified, can anyone find a reason for it? looking around the site, I can't see anything.

seems like w4d1 is harder now, the final set is at least 32! plus the total went from 111 to 120.

will have to start w4 over to see how I do.

Yeah. It looks like it ramps more smoothly from the beginning now, but it does make people who are on the later weeks have a sudden spike in difficulty.

Looks like I'm on week 4 for a while longer.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    W2D1

Holy shit. 14/14/10/10/15 (min 15). I nearly lost it on the very last one of the last set. I was trembling. Maybe I shouldn't have done it after a couple whiskeydrinks.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Missed yesterday, so I will do W1D3 today and W2D1 on Wednesday.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Damn it, failed day ONE.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This works out well. Today I do my W2D2, tomorrow I have a mock PRT so I can check my pushup progress, and then I will continue as normal! Hooray!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hey I'm not feeling as bad as I did after the first w1d1. I think I should be on task to at least finish the week.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    HELL THE FUCK YES

W2D2 14/16/12/12/25 (minimum 17)

I did 5 more than my initial max AFTER doing 54. Man, I am awesome. Tomorrow afternoon I have a Navy PRT thing. It's just a fake, the real one is in november, but this severely boosts my confidence.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hrm. Did my two days off, and during those days, I'm feeling a very intense burning pulling sensation - like a muscle is partially torn. What's odd is that it's a part of my arm that isn't normally getting stressed by these pushups, or at least not primarily stressed - it's on the outside/back of my arm

Either way, I don't really feel comfortable doing the pushups right now. :?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HELL THE FUCK YES

W2D2 14/16/12/12/25 (minimum 17)

I did 5 more than my initial max AFTER doing 54. Man, I am awesome. Tomorrow afternoon I have a Navy PRT thing. It's just a fake, the real one is in november, but this severely boosts my confidence.

Nice! I think a large part of it is just getting used to the fatigue sensation being concentrated in your arms. I'm trying my W5D1 tonight after a week of being sick... :|

Oh my, that did not work out so well. I started doing halfsies on my 3rd set and had to do kneesies halfway through my last. Plus I kind of started doing the 3rd rank instead of 2nd. So I did 36/25/28/22/35

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Week 5 D2 18/18/20/20/14/14/16/41 I did an extra set of 16 in there.

This thing really really really ramps up in week 5. I haven't been this sore since the end of week 3.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I started this then stopped to resume a wider workout routine with my weights set. As I'm going to be without that soon... I'm back bitches.
    I cant decide where to restart. I dont think its worth going all the way back to week 1... I might start with week 3 again. I remember that being the 1st really challenging week.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm only to W2D3 (will be doing that tomorrow) and my first exhaustion test is after that, but I was forced to do one today (Navy stuff) and I did 50. FIVE ZERO. A week and a half ago I could barely do 20. Hell yes.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey Fallingman, I just restarted week 3, you should too.

Also: Fuck, I am dumb, why did I decide that I am going to use the perferct pushup for this. Everything hurts today :-(.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I skipped yesterday because my arms were sore from the PRT, so I'm doing W2D3 right now (on my 120 second break) and man am I feeling it. Oh well.

Fake Edit: 16/17/14/14/20 (minimum 19)

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So hey, when I'm doing the push-ups, am I allowed to rest in the middle of a set? Rest meaning stay in the "up" position and take a little time to recoup? Or do I need to be able to do it all at once?

Edit: Ok well I rested during the sets and made it through. w1d2 10/12/8/8/12

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    W5D3
    18/18/20/20/17/17/20/45

I think I might repeat week 5 since I spaced it out more than the other weeks due to laziness. And I am shaking from this last set, too.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Underdog wrote: »
    So hey, when I'm doing the push-ups, am I allowed to rest in the middle of a set? Rest meaning stay in the "up" position and take a little time to recoup? Or do I need to be able to do it all at once?

As long as you are in the up position and aren't futzing around with your form (back straight) and stuff like that it's fine.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008

As long as you are in the up position and aren't futzing around with your form (back straight) and stuff like that it's fine.

Cool, thanks.

So what actually happens if I fail one of the days? What am I supposed to do? I passed w1d2 but lets say that on the final set, I only managed 11 when I needed 12. What do I do for the next day? Just push on to w1d3?

Underdog on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This sounds fun! I just did my initial test, I got 45. I'm sucking, but then part of why I'm doing this is to prepare for my PT test coming up, so it's okay if I suck I guess.

The program says I should start on week 3 if I did more than 20 to start, should I follow that advice? I looked at week 1 and it definitely looks like it won't help me at all.

Edit: Also, is there a program like this with situps?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    YES! w1d3 done! 11/15/9/9/13! I did not think I could do it, not after day 2.

So the thread's pretty much dead hey? Did anyone reach 100?

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    YES! w1d3 done! 11/15/9/9/13! I did not think I could do it, not after day 2.

So the thread's pretty much dead hey? Did anyone reach 100?

Check the spreadsheet found in the OP. A couple guys made 100. I'm trying to keep the thread alive because I want to keep progressing. My post-week 2 test put me at 50. After two weeks of this program my max jumped by 30. Normally I would be happy, but there are still 4 weeks of this left for me to DOMINATE!

That and I basically took last week off in terms of running due to a mock PRT and I wanted to be in the best rest. Starting again today...

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Looks like 4 people hit 100. Pretty cool. Most seemed to crap out around 50-60.

I like keeping track of it too. Makes me feel like I'm letting something down when I think about skipping it.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fucking hell week 3 D:

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Looks like 4 people hit 100. Pretty cool. Most seemed to crap out around 50-60.

I like keeping track of it too. Makes me feel like I'm letting something down when I think about skipping it.

I've "crapped out" insofar as the spreadsheet is concerned, but I'm still plugging away. Just have had a lot of setbacks, and not updating until I've made actual progress.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, I was 5 short on the failure test at the end of week 4. So I've decided to redo wk 4 but in column 2 instead of column 1. Fun times!

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am redoing week 5, I can do the 45 to move on but I don't feel it I am strong enough yet. I tried week 5 d1 and failed on Monday.:|

Did it again today and creamed it, maybe I was just tired from a no sleep, to much booze and helping a friend move over the weekend.

28/35/25/22/40

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woo! Didn't think I could handle week 2 but I did it! w2d1 14/14/10/10/16

Edit: Not sure 1 day recovery is enough time though. Week 2 is looking hard.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woooo! I keep surprising myself. Made it through w2d2, 14/16/12/12/18. Sorta looking forward to the exhaustion test to see how much I've improved.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Week 3 is finished! Bring on week 4 bitches.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I might give this a shot. Hell a few months ago I could barely manage ten push ups, now after working a labour job for 5 months I can manage 50 in a row.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So for week 3, the columns are different numbers. How do I know where I fit into? Is it determined by my exhaustion test?

Doing w2d3 now, holy shit the 2nd last set was tough shit. Dunno if I can push out 20 to pass.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh my god, 21! I hurt...

Underdog on
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Victory is mine!

Lessons learned:
    • Week 6 was death
    • Repeating Week 5 was a good idea...but the above still stands :P
    • When they say rest between days, they sort of mean it...especially during weeks 5 and 6 - doing dips and flies on the between days owned me (effects most noticeable on W6 D1 and D3)
    • You gotta force yourself to do the workout even if you're dead tired; using music to get me going helped, too

Glocjt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Continuing my repeating of week 4 ever since my sickness/the changes :? Did everything except the last rep on the third day this week, so next week I should be on to week 5.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll be starting week 5 again this week. No more job to get in the way of my awesome.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Redoing week two, I barely made it through w2d3.

It's very humbling (and discouraging) to think that in just a couple of years since messing up my shoulder, I've gone from being able to bench press 200lbs to barely managing 40 bench pushups. :/

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For those of you that get sore and stay sore for long periods of time, have a high protein meal right after your workout. It helps me quite a bit.

variant on