As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DSi, the new DS iteration. Larger screens, camera, SD slot, DLC focus.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Most people don't have iPhones, and outside of Asia, other advanced cellphones. It could be appealing to them.

While not deal-makers or breakers, the added multimedia features can also be utilized creatively. Now every game can check the current light conditions a la Boktai, or faces of the people you know can appear in your games. You might be able to play custom in-game soundtracks, or heck, play Audiosurf. It's in the hands of the developers, though.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The thought of a better screen (I still have an original DS) and downloadable games are really appealing to me, but if I'm going to spend close to $200 on a portable system, I am much more likely to buy a PSP rather than upgrade my DS since it has both of those features already plus games I don't currently have access to (short of borrowing my brother's PSP).

Now if the DSi had better screen resolution and was compatible with the Wii VC, then it'd be a different story. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Most people don't have iPhones, and outside of Asia, other advanced cellphones.

Really. RBC has iPhone sales estimates at 10-13 million units by the end of the year. You can pick up a 3G iPhone for $200 now. Even my dad, who is 53 years old and has spent most of his life working on cabinets, has a Chocolate (which, while a piece of crap, can play mp3s and take pictures just fine). He got that for next to free. Smartphone sales are on the rise across the board (though I don't have numbers on that at the moment); I won't be surprised if in two or three years they become the majority.

I don't even know anyone who has a phone that doesn't play mp3s/take pictures anymore.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hopefully the DSi will come with some easy solution for converting your files from MP3 to AAC. Would be nice if it was built into the system, but there'll probably be software too. Especially if they're going for PC connectivity with this music player/album, and sell a Nintendo brand SD-USB hookup.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    I don't even know anyone who has a phone that doesn't play mp3s/take pictures anymore.

My wife's doesn't. I also like to keep her barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

She tends to lose or damage cell phones. This phone was $30, no contract

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so this is a duplicate thread

but it's the one we're using now?

tell me quickly

Captain K on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    so this is a duplicate thread

but it's the one we're using now?

tell me quickly

I think the Nintendo conference thread took the DSi out of the thread title and is more Wii-focused now.

But this thread is cooler anyway because we're in it, mirite?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Mp3 decoding would cost them like $3 per DSi sold. Nintendo likes their money. Hence no mp3 decoding.

Gah. You shouldn't be able to patent a data format. It doesn't encourage innovation, it just gives one lucky winner the ability to hold the world hostage for the duration of the patent. Someday, though, the MP3 patent will expire and we'll be behind this garbage.

I wish I could say the same for copyright. *cries in a corner*

But anyway, that DSi. Is EBA going to be harder or easier on it?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    But anyway, that DSi. Is EBA going to sound better or the same on it?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn it, why do they have to region lock it? I popped my import cherry with Ouendan.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Damn it, why do they have to region lock it? I popped my import cherry with Ouendan.

Again, for right now it's only the downloadable software—any DS retail games are still 100 percent region-free. You can still play Ouendan and O2 in it.

If there are DSi retail carts on shelves at some point, then you can worry.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, shit.

I had just assumed it would be region free like the Lite. After your comment I went back and read...
    I'm in the market for a new Lite; mine's all beat to hell and the battery life is dwindling. I was going to just import a DSi... I guess I'll just be buying a replacement battery instead; and, I have a really hard time believing I'll want a DSi a year down the road (unless they have some awesome DLC; but, it'd have to be amazing to justify buying it).

I'm really sad now :(

edit- I don't believe your happy thoughts, lunker!

edit2x-
    The DSi, however, will be able to play standard Nintendo software from any region, similar to the original Nintendo DS model and the Nintendo DS Lite. Users will also be able to browse the Internet on their DSi from anywhere in there world and exchange photos with friends in other countries.

N'mind, Play-Asia you'll see me shortly!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's only download stuff that'll be region locked.

It'll take something awesome on the download service to sell me one of these, but I'm pretty sure that'll come along within seconds of the service being up.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If the camera is actually 3.0 megapixels, I'll consider upgrading. Stupid as it may be, it's a deal breaker for me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

Again, for right now it's only the downloadable software—any DS retail games are still 100 percent region-free. You can still play Ouendan and O2 in it.

If there are DSi retail carts on shelves at some point, then you can worry.

I know that. But the DS has a special place in my heart for being the first region free console I imported a game for.
    They confirmed that this means BOTH download-able games and future DSi-only cartridge-based games would be region locked.
    I imagine there will be at least a few good DSi-only cartridge games. Nintendo might be planning for this to be like the GBC.

Couscous on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why is there no video of that eye of judgment-like game? the one with the towers and catapults.
    Because that looks awesome, and is the only DSi specific game we've seen, right?

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    Why is there no video of that eye of judgment-like game? the one with the towers and catapults.
    Because that looks awesome, and is the only DSi specific game we've seen, right?

Are you referring to the video that UncleSporky linked in the old thread? That wasn't DSi, that was a concept video for a PC game, I believe.

Lunker on
  • Options
    GeeeeeoffGeeeeeoff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nintendo is fantastic at getting people to buy the same thing over and over again. :D

Geeeeeoff on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Are you referring to the video that UncleSporky linked in the old thread? That wasn't DSi, that was a concept video for a PC game, I believe.

Yes, dammit, i guess my mind was playing tricks on me :( , then someone needs to send that stuff to Nintendo ASAP.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Geeeeeoff wrote: »
    Nintendo is fantastic at getting people to buy the same thing over and over again. :D

20030627h.gif
    It's funny because it's true!

Lunker on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yes, dammit, i guess my mind was playing tricks on me :( , then someone needs to send that stuff to Nintendo ASAP.

Yeah actually that was an unreleased game in development for the ill-fated Gizmondo portable, ages ago. But it represents something that is now possible, augmented reality, in a way that is actually useful and interesting rather than static like a PC webcam.

My uncle has been dreaming of an augmented reality portable game for ages now and he got super excited when I told him about the DS camera...although it'll probably take something special for anything to actually surface. Plus he wants like an RPG that detects other people playing the same RPG and overlays their character onto them, and adds wandering monsters into the real world. That's not going to happen for a long time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    Not just with consoles but with games now too, what with the VC and all. You could conceivably own 3 different copies of ALTTP now (SNES, GBA, VC), and even 4 of OoT (N64, GC Collector's Edition, GC Wind Waker bonus, VC)

Opium on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah actually that was an unreleased game in development for the ill-fated Gizmondo portable, ages ago. But it represents something that is now possible, augmented reality, in a way that is actually useful and interesting rather than static like a PC webcam.

My uncle has been dreaming of an augmented reality portable game for ages now and he got super excited when I told him about the DS camera...although it'll probably take something special for anything to actually surface. Plus he wants like an RPG that detects other people playing the same RPG and overlays their character onto them, and adds wandering monsters into the real world. That's not going to happen for a long time.

I'm still holding out for them to put a gps in the next handheld and do exactly what you're talking about for pokemon. Want a tyranitar? Better go hiking. Get within 10 feet of another trainer? Vibrates in your pocket. We have the technology!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I'm still holding out for them to put a gps in the next handheld and do exactly what you're talking about for pokemon. Want a tyranitar? Better go hiking. Get within 10 feet of another trainer? Vibrates in your pocket. We have the technology!
    That would suck so much. I'm glad your name isn't Miyamoto.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Besides, why do that when they can make a DSfit?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    10,000 steps to hatch an egg! Child obesity over!

Miyamoto doesn't make pokemon anyway.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Especially when you live in an area with no other Pokémon players.

UncleSporky's uncle's idea reminds me of a mildly dystopian short story by Terry Pratchett where virtual reality reaches that type of level of sophistication; people would wear headsets that would erase any litter or black people in their field of vision, that type of thing.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not just with consoles but with games now too, what with the VC and all. You could conceivably own 3 different copies of ALTTP now (SNES, GBA, VC), and even 4 of OoT (N64, GC Collector's Edition, GC Wind Waker bonus, VC)

20060914.jpg
    I haven't bought any games multiple times, but my cousin has OoT on N64, GC with Master Quest through TWW and VC. And he has both the GC and Wii versions of TP.

Peewi on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO IS SAYING THAT THE DSi WILL BE THE NEXT GBC

It will NOT. There was a difference in processing power between GB and GBC. There is NO DIFFERENCE in processing power between the DS and the DSi. There is NOTHING the DSi could conceivably play that the DS could not unless it requires a camera or internal storage (or DLC).

I made the font all big because I know you guys can't read, because this had been said several times already.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It will NOT. There was a difference in processing power between GB and GBC. There is NO DIFFERENCE in processing power between the DS and the DSi. There is NOTHING the DSi could conceivably play that the DS could not unless it requires a camera or internal storage (or DLC).
    or better sound. So yeah, there are plenty of possible game ideas that the DS couldn't do.

Besides, it is being compared to the GBC because the GBC provided enough improvements that you couldn't just call it a redesign but was not really a successor to the original gameboy and GBC sales were counted as GB sales. It also had a relatively short life, and there were a ton of GB games that were meant for both the GB and GBC.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or a pedometer~

I assume with the walking game this means there is an accelerometer in it.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Psyck0, you live up to your name.

EDIT: And for the record, it is exactly like the GBC. You said it yourself:
    psyck0 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING the DSi could conceivably play that the DS could not unless it requires a camera or internal storage (or DLC).

Look what I can do:
    dusda wrote:
    There is NOTHING the GBC could conceivably play that the Gameboy could not unless you want the color additions and playing linked multiplayer without buying a cable. Oh, and the handful of GBC only games like Super Mario Bros Deluxe.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Psyck0, you live up to your name.

EDIT: And for the record, it is exactly like the GBC. You said it yourself:
    psyck0 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING the DSi could conceivably play that the DS could not unless it requires a camera or internal storage (or DLC).

Look what I can do:
    dusda wrote:
    There is NOTHING the GBC could conceivably play that the Gameboy could not unless you want the color additions and playing linked multiplayer without buying a cable. Oh, and the handful of GBC only games like Super Mario Bros Deluxe.
    Except that that "handful" basically amounts to some of the best Game Boy games of all time, including the Oracle Zeldas and Wario Land 3. You really needed a GBC to get the very best of the GB library, and Nintendo could pull the exact same thing with the DSi if the sales are lagging (or even if they aren't).

Opium on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Region lock? So my Ouendan won't work? Screw that!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Concern:

This is filler, the "new" DS or the much talked about a loooong time ago new Gameboy will be out this time next year, not a massive gap tbh if you have a DS.

Decider:

If that SD Slot and internal memory makes it a homebrew device out of the box? sold! I have been thinking about getting the relevant kit for my dslite but never get round to it, and hate having to fiddle around (I realise this is the main point of homebrew, tinkering, but I don't have time) so to be able to play Rise of the Triads out the box? yesplx

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    eobet wrote: »

I think region lock is only for things downloaded through the DSi store.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

That, and any DSi-exclusive games on DSi carts that may or may not already be in development.

Opium on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

That, and any DSi-exclusive games on DSi carts that may or may not already be in development.

Didn't they already say that the physical carts would be region free? It's just the online service that is specific from region to region.

Legba on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I'd actually be pretty pissed if they took out region compatibility for DSi only games. Download stuff I can understand, otherwise it'd be pretty stupid. Might be a reaction to all the Ouendan/Rhythm Tengoku/Phoenix Wright importing. (Which is pretty jerkish in itself, anyway.)

GimeC on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Concern:

This is filler, the "new" DS or the much talked about a loooong time ago new Gameboy will be out this time next year, not a massive gap tbh if you have a DS.

Decider:

If that SD Slot and internal memory makes it a homebrew device out of the box? sold! I have been thinking about getting the relevant kit for my dslite but never get round to it, and hate having to fiddle around (I realise this is the main point of homebrew, tinkering, but I don't have time) so to be able to play Rise of the Triads out the box? yesplx

Just to nitpick but IIRC, Nintendo said there will never be a gameboy again.The name feels a bit too gender-restrictive for their tastes apparently. I do agree however that this feels like filler, and like someone else said, a test-bed of features for a future hand-held.

As for homebrew out of the box, I find that unlikely to be honest, particularly with how anti-piracy/flash carts nintendo is getting with this new DSi

Zerokku on