As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the plus side, at least Gears was never a grenade spam fest like Halo (sorry, but every encounter just seems to begin with both players tossing nades at each other), and they're fixing the "shotgun CHARGE!" strategy. Although I worry about whether that may change with the dual function of grenades as proximity mines. The trailers I've seen so far haven't really seemed to indicate there's much you can do to avoid something like a gas grenade once you've already triggered it because you walked around a corner.

subedii on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a bit worried that these proximity grenades could be overpowered, depends if there's any way of seeing them really. Deaths from those are going to feel truly random and annoying.

Snare on
    edited October 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried that these proximity grenades could be overpowered, depends if there's any way of seeing them really. Deaths from those are going to feel truly random and annoying.

It really depends on various factors. How close do you need to be, how long the timer is, whether it detonates on its own after a while. But yeah, the impression I got from the trailers was that it would just feel like a random death because you went past a wall that someone happened to tag. Hopefully they'll tweak that.

subedii on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not sure how that would be different from, say, claymores in CoD4.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    At least GoW has evasive dive moves, so if the player has good reflexes all he'll get is a marginal amount of damage.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Did you play Perfect Dark?

Do you remember how awesome proximity mines were?

If so...how can you see that as anything but barrels of fun.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Did you play Perfect Dark?

Do you remember how awesome proximity mines were?

If so...how can you see that as anything but barrels of fun.

Never played Perfect Dark multi, but I remember that I found the remote mines in Goldeneye kind of irritating.

Of course like I said, it all depends on how it's implemented, and there's defensive dodges like Airan said.

subedii on
  • MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everything sounds much improved for multiplayer; I so happy! Gears multi is the only multiplayer game besides Splinter Cell:Pandora Tomorrow that really gets my adrenaline going and my heart beating faster. I think it is the no respawn that makes it so exciting for me. I love having to make every life count and know that if I make a mistake, I'm done for the round. That being said, two questions:

Is there a party system? If so, how does it work? Can you do ranked with friends?
    Is there a matchmaking system, or do you have to
    A. sit and wait in the lobby for another group to find your game
    B. Search for a list of games that fit your criteria

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well Xbox Live is getting its own global party system in November so even if it doesn't have it, you can use that. As Gears is a team game I can't imagine you'll have to have a matchmade team in Ranked (although I don't remember how it worked in 1).

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gears multi went like this:

Ranked:(where achievements were)
    1. Create a game and wait for at least 10 mins for enough people to join your game
    2. Search for a ranked game with specific criteria and try to hop into that one. Possibly not connect because the room was already full, or have to wait for the room to fill up.

No invites were possible, though people were stacking teams by creating games with odd numbers of rounds, etc. Game booted you to menu to start the process over again after match was over. Ugh.

Unranked:

Same as above, only you could invite friends to the games and the lobby stayed after each map.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Oh, well like someone said earlier Gears has always been like that.

You won't believe how many times someone got a headshot off me with a lucky shotgun blast that shattered just in the right place or lagged out long enough. But I managed it a couple of times myself so it wasn't so bad. Lucky sniper shots were annoying though.

And that's funny...I always thought the Hammer of Dawn was useless in Multiplayer. But I haven't played Gears 1 since my 360 ate my last disc about a year ago.

I once used the Hammer of Dawn to dominate a Annex game. The other team kept respawning almost right next to where I was holding an annex point so I kept killing them every 15 or so seconds and there wasn't much they could do about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3631512&categoryId=3208334&n8pe6c=2

Multiplayer documentary

Avalanche looks great.

Also, 100,000 kills. What the fuck. Ive been playing COD4 for a year and have 13,000 kills and that game is more players and faster paced.

The_Scarab on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is the achievement only for multiplayer, or does it count for single player too?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Is the achievement only for multiplayer, or does it count for single player too?

Multiplayer.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeesh. That's quite a bit.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't people tell them that the first "Seriously" achievement sucked?

Also...there has been something I'm wondering. I'm going to avoid chainsaw duels myself...but did Epic say anything about people just using rapid fire controllers for them. I'm sure they would happen once in a blue moon but that would be annoying nonetheless.

Dragkonias on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it's in single player, too - and there's the horde mode, in which you kill hundreds and hundreds of dudes. Also, Mulcher.

Iriah on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    I think it's in single player, too - and there's the horde mode, in which you kill hundreds and hundreds of dudes. Also, Mulcher.

It had better include singleplayer and Horde mode kills. I completely detest achievements that require players to dedicate amounts of time equal to serious MMO play. Plus, it makes it so there's always that one guy you end up playing with who only cares about getting kills instead of actually winning. Aside from the horrible MP balance in the first game, the early weeks were infested with little twerps constantly hogging one weapon or another just to get a stupid achievement.

Personally, I think that Microsoft should forbid all multiplayer achievements. Getting a decent game going on Xbox Live is hard enough without having people screwing everything up to get fake points that mean nothing.

EDIT: Hahaha, meatflag. What a great term.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It had better include singleplayer and Horde mode kills. I completely detest achievements that require players to dedicate amounts of time equal to serious MMO play. Plus, it makes it so there's always that one guy you end up playing with who only cares about getting kills instead of actually winning. Aside from the horrible MP balance in the first game, the early weeks were infested with little twerps constantly hogging one weapon or another just to get a stupid achievement.

Personally, I think that Microsoft should forbid all multiplayer achievements. Getting a decent game going on Xbox Live is hard enough without having people screwing everything up to get fake points that mean nothing.

They should make a gametype with the meatcube.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

They should make a gametype with the meatcube.

My disgust would be palpable.

Even moreso if you start off with a seed meatcube and you make it grow by adding the bodies of your enemies. Extra points for chainsawing off slabs from the opposing meatcube and adding them to your own. At the end of the game, the only real winner would be the meatcube.

Round Two would be a fight over creating a giant BBQ pit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My finger is hovering over the purchase button for the Super Special edition with the full sized Lancer Rifle. Just tell me to do it.. Do ettt!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My finger is hovering over the purchase button for the Super Special edition with the full sized Lancer Rifle. Just tell me to do it.. Do ettt!

FIRE ZEE MISSILES!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm probably the only person in the world that fucking hated GOW's multiplayer. Fuck it. I don't want to wait 5 minutes to play every time I die. It sorely needed a instant respawn gametype in the style of deathmatch.

mooshoepork on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm probably the only person in the world that fucking hated GOW's multiplayer. Fuck it. I don't want to wait 5 minutes to play every time I die. It sorely needed a instant respawn gametype in the style of deathmatch.

Fast respawn isnt the slow and methodical pace that gears is trying to promote.
    You play to live NOT to kill!
    Respawning promotes this whole suicidal bullshit mentality. Lucky you though there is guardian mode.

And yes, watch teh ESPN video guys. Achievements are obtainable in ALL types. You can only get 1 kill for each achievement each game, so no more spamming stickies "cuz your trying to get ur acheevmentz"

Smashism on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

Respawning promotes this whole suicidal bullshit mentality.

You could just as easily say "No respawning promotes the camping mentality"

mooshoepork on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I didn't like it either. Hosts with low ping with sniper rifles is so much fun!

Wait, no it's not.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the intro to this game is amazing.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you can't just say that and not show us (me)

Nuzak on
    edited October 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

A gift to you. Be warned it's average quality. Click on the first clip at the bottom.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited October 2008
    that was fucking epic

love the mention of DUBBLEYOUEMMDEES

aw, gears, your story is the best this side of RE4

Nuzak on
    edited October 2008
    CAN THE 'SIR' SHIT, KID, WE'RE NOT THAT POLITE OUT HERE

all signs point to RIDICULOUSLY FUCKIN BAD-ASS

Nuzak on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

BOOSH!

Wait.. I'm doing it wrong.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

A gift to you. Be warned it's average quality. Click on the first clip at the bottom.
    Is this video not working for anyone else? The video window just stays blank and it says "Off Air" on the bottom.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

BOOSH!

Oh dear god the..booshing...horrible.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SpazMuffin wrote: »

Is this video not working for anyone else? The video window just stays blank and it says "Off Air" on the bottom.

He linked the live feed, which is off air currently. The intro is in the saved recordings but to save you the trouble here's the direct link:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/778251

Woot427 on
    edited October 2008
    Woot427 wrote: »

He linked the live feed, which is off air currently. The intro is in the saved recordings but to save you the trouble here's the direct link:

I told everyone to click the first clip at the bottom damn it!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woot427 wrote: »

I told everyone to click the first clip at the bottom damn it!
    Oops, I'm a dope. Sorry guys.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

BOOSH!

"Boosh" is only for the Xticles and Simon, dammit!

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited October 2008
    that was fucking epic

love the mention of DUBBLEYOUEMMDEES

aw, gears, your story is the best this side of RE4

Except that Gears of War 2 looks like it might actually have a pretty good story. RE4 just had a retarded story. For me, it was so terrible that it shot right past "so bad it's funny" and went straight back to "I feel stupid playing this". To be fair, when a game obviously has a bad story but the devs still try to take it seriously I tend to judge the game much more harshly.

Considering that the world in Gears of War has been having a world war for pretty much forever, it actually makes some sense that everything is completely badass. Either you are a badass or you are a dead guy. If you died, you weren't being enough of a badass. Don't whine about it when you die; then you end up looking even less badass than you already were and you go to pansy hell instead of awesome hell.

On another topic, I have an important question. Am I the only person that thinks that the Gears should have music blasting out of those speaker-looking boombox things on their chestplates? In all seriousness, every time I see those guys walking around I'm thinking "that guy has a huge boombox wrapped around his chest". It's unshakeable and it drives me mad. I want them to play music through them like every soldier is a giant MP3 players or something.

And what's this "boosh" stuff? Should I feel retarded for not knowing what it is or retarded for wanting to know?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haze, bro!
    The Mighty

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.