As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: Nashville!

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So as a solution to our government's spending crisis, McCain proposes to suspend the federal government, too?

Does he run out of timeouts at some point?

kildy on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    "John, I've worked with you in the Senate for four years now. Why are you suddenly implying that I am a terrorist? My kids watch the news, you know."

I would LOVE for him to pull out the "How dare you call me a terrorist in front of my kids" line. LOVE.
    You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Will be interested to see how much McCain 'looks' at Obama this time, considering how much of a stink the media made about it the first debate.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    Will be interested to see how much McCain 'looks' at Obama this time, considering how much of a stink the media made about it the first debate.

I'm surprised he's even meeting with Obama. After all, according to him you can't just go meet with terrorists all willy-nilly.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dac wrote: »

He'll be checking out his ass while playing with his wedding ring.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A "spending freeze" is actually "we will only spend on the programs I support."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Once more, I like the cut of Fark's gib. They're now referring to Palin's speeches as the "two minute hate."

Jragghen on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Which, if I hear McCain correctly, would be defense and veterans' affairs. And "vital functions".

That's it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Has anyone questioned how likely he is to be able to do stuff like this, given that he'll have a democratic congress even if he wins?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Vital Functions pretty much means nothing would stop spending. You really can't spend five minutes running down a checklist of the budget and go "useful, not useful, useful, not useful"

kildy on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think this whole campaign, and especially the past couple of days, encapsulate exactly why I'm not now nor will I ever be a Republican. Both sides have their groups that spew hate and vitriol, but the Republicans seem to pander to theirs more often and more strenuously. They seem to cater to the elements that want to exclude people who aren't WASPs, who are violent *-phobes, who are agents of intolerance. I can't be part of a group where these people are not only tolerated, but also encouraged.

I really hope the independents are watching the ugliness and are saying to themselves that this is 2008 and that that sort of thing shouldn't be happening. I hope they decide that a party that is represented by people who go on ad nauseum about who they want to exclude isn't one that ought to be representing the United States.

well that makes perfect sense...

"im never ever going to be a republican because right now the republicans seem to be more pandering to their extremists".... im glad to hear that you have made up your political mind for the rest of your life. perhaps you could tone down the condemnation of an entire political party for all of time to scorn for the current version?

holding on to any idea too tightly makes it impossible to objectivly analyze it. see fundamental christians for an example.

The Republican party has been the party of intolerance since before I was born. I'm not optimistic it will suddenly make an about face and stop tolerating, fomenting, and capitalizing on the intolerant. So long as this remains so, I stand by what I said. Also, lack of progressive values and elevating the rich and powerful over the poor and powerless.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Vital Functions pretty much means nothing would stop spending. You really can't spend five minutes running down a checklist of the budget and go "useful, not useful, useful, not useful"

Just do a search on the word "bears" and toss out anything that doesn't also include "kill".

Scooter on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Once more, I like the cut of Fark's gib. They're now referring to Palin's speeches as the "two minute hate."

<3 1984

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »

Just do a search on the word "bears" and toss out anything that doesn't also include "kill".

grep, the open source solution to government spending.

kildy on
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Has anyone questioned how likely he is to be able to do stuff like this, given that he'll have a democratic congress even if he wins?

Didn't you hear? John McCain is above partisan politics and....

Oh wait.

TheSmacker on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mhq-l9ac2kmdpfxv9pqzdg.gif

Guess who hit 51 today?

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Barack BOOOOOM

Edit: Damnit beat lol

lsukalel on
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Over 50 suckas...

GALLUP snip for being waay late to the party.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys are hawks, haha.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Who is starting the Nov 7th rehab thread?

kildy on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would gladly ride another pollster's jock if they'd just give me a pretty graph.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would gladly ride another pollster's jock if they'd just give me a pretty graph.

Should email Kos.

EDIT: Wait, there is one, it's just not an image file so we can't put it in the thread, sad.

http://www.dailykos.com/trendlines

One note: Obama's favorable minus unfavorable is down four points the last two days. To +23...

Biden is now the most popular of the four, Palin the least.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Guess who hit 51 today?

Weeeeeeeeeeee

Things are looking good. I really hope to be crying tears of happiness, not terror, come November.

anable on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another pollsters jock? Disgusting AG, have you gays no decency. I fear we are seeing a high water mark like we have before. The disgusting lows the republicans are going for will bring polls down.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think this whole campaign, and especially the past couple of days, encapsulate exactly why I'm not now nor will I ever be a Republican. Both sides have their groups that spew hate and vitriol, but the Republicans seem to pander to theirs more often and more strenuously. They seem to cater to the elements that want to exclude people who aren't WASPs, who are violent *-phobes, who are agents of intolerance. I can't be part of a group where these people are not only tolerated, but also encouraged.

I really hope the independents are watching the ugliness and are saying to themselves that this is 2008 and that that sort of thing shouldn't be happening. I hope they decide that a party that is represented by people who go on ad nauseum about who they want to exclude isn't one that ought to be representing the United States.

"im never ever going to be a republican because right now the republicans seem to be more pandering to their extremists".... im glad to hear that you have made up your political mind for the rest of your life. perhaps you could tone down the condemnation of an entire political party for all of time to scorn for the current version?

holding on to any idea too tightly makes it impossible to objectivly analyze it. see fundamental christians for an example.

The Republican party has been the party of intolerance since before I was born. I'm not optimistic it will suddenly make an about face and stop tolerating, fomenting, and capitalizing on the intolerant. So long as this remains so, I stand by what I said. Also, lack of progressive values and elevating the rich and powerful over the poor and powerless.

this would be one of those times where i say "values change over time"

and i think im gonna remind you that the democratic party has been around since 1790 and often was comprised of people that would be seen as intolerant by todays standards.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Another pollsters jock? Disgusting AG, have you gays no decency. I fear we are seeing a high water mark like we have before. The disgusting lows the republicans are going for will bring polls down.

I'm just happy to see that McCain has been frequently topping out at 42 - 44.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    "John, I've worked with you in the Senate for four years now. Why are you suddenly implying that I am a terrorist? My kids watch the news, you know."

I would LOVE for him to pull out the "How dare you call me a terrorist in front of my kids" line. LOVE.
    You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

Such an embarrassing period of time. Its odd how it correlates. :|

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

and i think im gonna remind you that the democratic party has been around since 1790 and often was comprised of people that would be seen as intolerant by todays standards.

This is true. Let's just say for the immediate future, the Republican party is not looking like a group that is or will be particularly tolerant. Maybe when they nominate an Indian guy in 8 or 12 years.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Better change those values then. Those 1790's Democrats you apparently dislike so much did.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

you're going to run into intolerance/ignorance wherever you go... that doesn't mean you need to accept it but that also does not imply the republican party is full of a-holes either. as it stands i've been a registered repub since i could vote, since i identified with the core ideals the the party represented. that being said i've yet to vote for a republican presidential nominee...

if you say you'll never be a part of this party as long as the current leadership keeps heading down the retarded path, well that's completely valid. other parties have the same issues to similiar degrees you know, it's not like the whole party is made of sheep that will vote how just because.

a lot of people are capable of exercising good judgment, even republicans.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

And were some of us alive during the time we might say the same of them. But since we are alive right now, and can see the hate message that the current Republican Party is championing I can only say at this time, the republicans don't look like a party I'd want to associate with.

Palin looks like she'd be at home leading a Klan rally, that she is the vp pick of a major party is jarring. If I was McCain and I'd seen what my legacy would be I'd not debate tonight, but stand up on stage apologize to the american people for the shameful campaign I was running and then withdraw.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, and thanks to Nixon, they went to the GOP.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, and thanks to Nixon, they went to the GOP.

Southern Strategy FTW

lsukalel on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Better change those values then. Those 1790's Democrats you apparently dislike so much did.

This...this supports his point. I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just a quick note:

honestly, i am sad for McCain. I just youtubed him calling some college kid a jerk, because someone mentioned it to me last night. They're a huge Obama guy, like me, and were saying its proof he could 'lose it' at the debates.

I watched the clip, and I laughed. A smug kid asks if he's worried about dying or having alzheimers. He answers honestly and intellegently, and makes a couple good jokes ("My son says Im getting to the point where I'll get to hide my own easter eggs."). He says he's got good genes, shows his mother, talks about how he's active and keeps his mind sharp. Then ends it with "So I hope I've answered your question, you little jerk." and smiles while the crowd cheers. It was kinda cool.

It wasn't a lashing out, it was a jab back at an obvious Obama (perhaps, it seemed very recent) supporter and was very clearly good-natured.

And I ended up youtubing McCain on SNL, McCain being funny and McCain being McCain as I remembered him. All the videos were pre-2006.

McCain used to be a funny, smart guy who was really likeable. It kinda makes me sad. I think even if THAT McCain was running against Obama, I'd still be 100% Obama - but I'd at least feel like either outcome would be alright. As opposed to now where I'm terrified of Palin.

I hope when this ends, we get an angry John McCain who says he's tired of being reigned in by his conservative party and ends up splitting away. He's good buddies with Joementum, so I'm hoping McCain goes Independant with him after this election. I want old McCain back.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Palin looks like she'd be at home leading a Klan rally, that she is the vp pick of a major party is jarring. If I was McCain and I'd seen what my legacy would be I'd not debate tonight, but stand up on stage apologize to the american people for the shameful campaign I was running and then withdraw.

i don't care for palin as anyone thats closely associated with ted stevens makes me ill, but i don't think we're seeing the real person. as it stands now she's just a puppet that speaks when she's told. only knowing things about things alaskan only takes you so far in life. i just think its a shame that an opportunity to put a woman into that position is being wasted with this kind of effort.

saying that she should be leading a klan rally seems a bit much tho

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The modern GOP is the child of Nixon. When they're against the ropes they will inevitably fall back on his electoral and political style.

Thing is these days they're not even particularly good at either.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    noweat wrote: »

i don't care for palin as anyone thats closely associated with ted stevens makes me ill, but i don't think we're seeing the real person. as it stands now she's just a puppet that speaks when she's told. only knowing things about things alaskan only takes you so far in life. i just think its a shame that an opportunity to put a woman into that position is being wasted with this kind of effort.

saying that she should be leading a klan rally seems a bit much tho

I hate this idea that Palin and McCain are not responsible for the shit they are peddling. They aren't robots they could easily say "No I'm not going to spew this bullshit" but they don't. And you can't tell me the stories coming out of Palins "rallys" don't sound like they are more at home with white masks then they are a major political party.

I'm not attacking Republicans as people, I'm attacking your representatives and the message they are running with. Do you really want to be with a party that ran a presidential campaign that harkens back to the days of McCarthy of accusing people of being a "terrorist" to gin up fear? I mean what the fuck?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/07/obama-hatred-on-display-a_n_132572.html
    "[Obama] said, too, that our troops in Afghanistan are 'air raiding villages and killing civilians,'" Palin said, mischaracterizing a 2007 remark by Obama. "I hope Americans know that is not what our brave men and women in uniform are doing in Afghanistan. The U.S. military is fighting terrorism and protecting us and protecting our freedom."

This really pisses me off, because everything Obama said is ACTUALLY TRUE. Hell, just a couple weeks ago we bombed the shit out of YET ANOTHER wedding, killing like 90 civilians.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The modern GOP is the child of Nixon. When they're against the ropes they will inevitably fall back on his electoral and political style.

Thing is these days they're not even particularly good at either.

shoot, i've got a brain freeze atm. but i watched a documentary a few weeks ago on the creation of the modern gop. i can't remember it but it involves a full circle picture of how a few vocal gop members got the fundamental christian leadership involved in politics. how that party then funded anti communist movements(see: iran). how said party then overthrew democracies to protect large corps(see: bp and iran) and formented anti american opinion.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.